Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-10/30/male-female-brain-difference-not-significant

quote:

There has long been a debate -- and a living to be made in comedy clubs -- around the differences between male and female brain differences. But a new study says there are actually "minimal differences" between the two.

A study at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, led by Lise Eliot, has found that the hippocampus is the same size in both men and women.

The team's discovery came from a meta-analysis of more than 6,000 structural MRI scans, which showed that there was "no significant difference in hippocampal size between men and women". The discovery also counters many popular explanations of the differences between men and women.

"Sex differences in the brain are irresistible to those looking to explain stereotypic differences between men and women," said Eliot. "And they often make a big splash. But as we explore multiple data sets and are able to coalesce very large samples of males and females, we find these differences often disappear or are trivial."

The hippocampus is the area of the brain often linked to short and long term memories and connecting the emotions to the senses. It was previously widely believed that the hippocampus was much larger in females, thus explaining the stereotype that women are more emotionally expressive and have a better verbal memory than men.

The study also noted other studies that have debunked sex differences in the brain. The corpus callosum, a group of neural fibres that connects the two hemispheres, was commonly believed to differ in size in men and women. Male and female brains were also once thought to have significant differences in the way their hemispheres process language. But large scale meta-analyses have debunked both of these claims.

"Many people believe there is such a thing as a 'male brain' and a 'female brain'," said Eliot. "But when you look beyond the popularised studies -- at collections of all the data -- you often find that the differences are minimal."

So comedians can finally quit with the loving "women go: tee hee hee" "men go: durr hurr hurr" bullshit? Because there's scientific proof they're loving wrong now.

Also, if all our brains are literally the same, what does that mean for transgenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

cool maybe do the male and female butts next :yosbutt:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

The Whole Internet posted:

Also, if all our brains are literally the same, what does that mean for transgenders?

What we always knew, they're just mentally ill.

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

It remains ovens.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

cool maybe do the male and female butts next :yosbutt:

male butts are actually extremely superior in shape, attractive, form, and utility than a female butt

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i loving love science!!!!!!!!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-10/30/male-female-brain-difference-not-significant

So comedians can finally quit with the loving "women go: tee hee hee" "men go: durr hurr hurr" bullshit? Because there's scientific proof they're loving wrong now.

:wth:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

male butts are actually extremely superior in shape, attractive, form, and utility than a female butt

male butts have smarter brains too

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Male butts are narrow and look like raisins. Female butts look like spellbinding moons of fuk.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

i ahve a male butt which is loud and gross, any ladies in the same boat?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
they might be "basically the same" but theyre wired differently. women tend to have more connections between hemispheres while men have more connections front to back.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think with my penis, its like a dowsing rod

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
new study shows female brains are just a picture of cute shoes

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Its weird how all these studies just end up saying whatever different groups want them to say.

Aug 4, 2010

frankly i find the idea of a female that thinks offensive

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

they might be "basically the same" but theyre wired differently. women tend to have more connections between hemispheres while men have more connections front to back.

we're still talking about butts right?

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Someone should have told David Reimer. Now it's too late.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

afeelgoodpoop posted:

hmmmm did you miss the sentences in the OP that literally said that was bullshit too?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How come women are stupid then scientist lady? :shrug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Scientist: Differences in brains are minimal.

Idiot: ALL OUR BRAINS ARE LITERALLY THE SAME

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
gender is an illusion

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lmao all they did was say the hipocampus is the same size. they didnt even look at what its made out of

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CONCLUSION:Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21364939

EDIT: Trans have sad brains

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

www posted:

frankly i find the idea of a female that thinks offensive

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

CONCLUSION:Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

Well sure - TG surgery can't change the fact that millions of people hate them just for existing.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Repo Man posted:

Well sure - TG surgery can't change the fact that millions of people hate them just for existing.

or that their brains were hosed in the first place.

READ: gender dysphoria

EDIT: I mean poo poo, there is a site created and run by trans that help each other revert back to their original gender. From what I've read of this site, most of them got their pyschological disorders under control and regretted changing themselves.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com/

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 3, 2015

Yudo
May 15, 2003

lol at meta-analysis proving anything even if this poo poo is correct

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

lmao all they did was say the hipocampus is the same size. they didnt even look at what its made out of

Would you eat a hippocampus if it were made of spare ribs?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are they claiming this is like that thing where there are more differences within races than between them?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
this is obviously the fabrication of the beta cuck liberal media feminist

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
By secret order of the LGBTQ-TERF-MRA stand-up comedy shadow network everyone has agreed to forget about this study in five days so they can go back to believing what they want to and sending each other Bill Burr videos haha that guy really tells it like it is.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there are women named brian wtf

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orkin Mang posted:

there are women named brian wtf

IT IS THE CURRENT YEAR SHITLORD!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

or that their brains were hosed in the first place.

READ: gender dysphoria

EDIT: I mean poo poo, there is a site created and run by trans that help each other revert back to their original gender. From what I've read of this site, most of them got their pyschological disorders under control and regretted changing themselves.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com/

But there's tons who are just fine after? Sounds like some people are mentally ill but for others it works just fine.

Almost like no one medical treatment can generally apply as a blanket statement for an entire population :monocle:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all the 2 brians i know are p similar so theres that but ive never met a brian who was a girl though, i mean, wth

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
guys cut it out, not all trans people are autists only about 1/3rd of them are

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

EDIT: Trans have sad brains

transsexual suicide rates are much less bad after transitioning compared to untreated

so the surgery works technically, at reducing suicide

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im a horse in me soul give me a riot hose cock. i mght kill if u dont hehehahaahahaa

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Cosby posted:

IT IS THE CURRENT YEAR SHITLORD!

my names not shitlord but in a world with chicks named brian it might as well be poo poo lord hey.there was a time when u could respond to a email and know if they were a he or she and thaat time is inthe past, & hella dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

There's more to self identity than what's hardwired.

• Locked thread