Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Frogfingers posted:

You could see some raccoon-faced sailors as late as WW2.

Still see it in pro football and baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Chamale posted:

March 22: HIS IMPERIAL AND ROYAL MAJESTY ARRIVED YESTERDAY EVENING AT THE TUILERIES, AMID THE JOYFUL ACCLAMATION OF HIS DEVOTED AND FAITHFUL SUBJECTS

I majored in French, and did most of my papers for my historical language classes on French revolutions and Napoleon is always the batshittiest.

In unrelated-to-Napoleon French history, I was at a contemporary classical music conference on Sunday and one of the presenters mentioned Claude Vivier, whose Wikipedia bio says he was murdered by a 19 year old male prostitute. The more accepted theory among the composer community is that he was murdered by a competing musical aesthetic.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Frogfingers posted:

You could see some raccoon-faced sailors as late as WW2.

For Cash Crab's sake, I think we should say that we aren't encouraging the perpetuation of raccoon-face.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

The European lion went extinct somewhere between the first and second crusade. This is why you see it on really old tincture everywhere from Norway to Persia.

I know this was some pages back, but it really annoyed me.

Sorry but this is not true at all. The European Lion went extinct in the holocene period and there is no Archeological evidence for it in historic time. You might as well talk about the European Griffon or Dragon, since you see that from Norway to Spain. If you look at antic greek art, it's clear that they don't have first hand knowledge about Lions. They often portrays female Lions with manes. It's also clear that they portray Asiatic lions, since they have to dark spots above the eyes, which both roman and greek artist thought was small horns. Medieval lions in art are even worse, since they are poor copies of what little antique art, they had access to.

The term the Silk Road(s) was first coined in the late 19th century by ar german named Ferdinand von Richthofen. Before that, nobody talked about a silk road to China. In fact most silk in antiquity and medieval times came from India, where they collected silk pupae from non-domesticated silkworms. (unlike the chinese silk, that came and comes from domesticated silkworms). And the main thing traded along the silk road was metals and dyes.
In early imperial rome, the trade with India was such a big thing that Pliny the elder complained about it. In early Imperial rome, roughly 120 ships annually made the trip to India and back using the Monsoon winds. Just 100 years before, it was about 20 ships.

Atreiden has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Nov 9, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Lead-based eye makeup, no less.

You'd probably see a strike at a modern US construction site if the foreman restricted use of sunglasses.

This happened at a site I was working on in Canada, the site super said no more tinted safety glasses and you know what happened? Nothing changed, everyone still wore tinted safety glasses and nobody got in trouble.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Atreiden posted:

Sorry but this is not true at all. The European Lion went extinct in the holocene period and there is no Archeological evidence for it in historic time. You might as well talk about the European Griffon or Dragon, since you see that from Norway to Spain. If you look at antic greek art, it's clear that they don't have first hand knowledge about Lions. They often portrays female Lions with manes. It's also clear that they portray Asiatic lions, since they have to dark spots above the eyes, which both roman and greek artist thought was small horns. Medieval lions in art are even worth, since they are poor copies of what little antique art, they had access to.
There was the Barbary Lion at least which lived in North Africa until it was hunted to extinction in the last century.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I do genealogy, and an ancestor hanged himself in police custody in Copenhagen 1881, so I was looking for records on him some time ago. In the police archives, there was a register of suicides & accidental deaths covering 1878–1907. After finding my ancestor, I leafed through it for a while out of morbid fascination and took a picture of this page:

Third from the bottom is Victoria. The two rightmost columns are method (Snitsaar i Halsen = cuts to the neck) and presumed reason (Livslede = life-loathing). Unfortunately the Copenhagen police cases on suicides 1863–1949 have been lost.

Okay, that's drat cool. Mind if I use the picture for some of the materials I keep as a primer to theatre groups performing Miss Julie?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

canyoneer posted:

Still see it in pro football and baseball

If Kris Bryant played with mascara on, I think I might literally explode. :swoon:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

canyoneer posted:

Lead-based eye makeup, no less.

You'd probably see a strike at a modern US construction site if the foreman restricted use of sunglasses.

Speaking of lead-based makeup, I once heard that Queen Elizabeth I started a brief trend in the English court where exposing your breasts was all the rage. I cannot remember where I heard this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, on that same note, one of my favourite historical figures was Shane O'Neill (one of them), who pledged his allegiance to Queen Elizabeth, and in the time it took him to travel to Scotland, did the same thing to Mary, Queen of Scots. He died around 40 or so. :3: I named one of my teddy bears after him.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Anosmoman posted:

Their views on our generation will depend on the content from which social media platform will be best preserved.

The Library of Congress is archiving Something Awful forums.

Also a brony forum and some others.

Twitter too, iirc

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Sorry but this is not true at all. The European Lion went extinct in the holocene period and there is no Archeological evidence for it in historic time. You might as well talk about the European Griffon or Dragon, since you see that from Norway to Spain. If you look at antic greek art, it's clear that they don't have first hand knowledge about Lions. They often portrays female Lions with manes. It's also clear that they portray Asiatic lions, since they have to dark spots above the eyes, which both roman and greek artist thought was small horns. Medieval lions in art are even worse, since they are poor copies of what little antique art, they had access to.

Goddamn it, you're right, the animal I was thinking of that went extinct was the auroch, a wild bovine.

Here, I'll tie up all my posts about Norway, lions, the Byzantines and ill-fated decisions. I'll throw in some Napoleon to boot.

This is the Piraeus Lion:

Sculpted in the mid-4th century BC, this sat in the Athenian harbour until it was plundered by raiding Venetians during the Turkish wars. Now it sits outside the old Venetian arsenal. Why does any of this matter? Well a group of Varangians turned it into a makeshift runestone to commemorate their capture of the old port of Athens during some period of upheaval in the 11th or 12th century. Its a cool mix of ancient and medieval in a strange place.

Venice was home to many items of value after the 4th crusade, including the old imperial crowns:

Unfortunately, his imperial and royal majesty, the Corsican ogre, sieged Venice during his European tour and ransacked all of the old family's valuables, including the crowns, which he melted for gold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hedningen posted:

Okay, that's drat cool. Mind if I use the picture for some of the materials I keep as a primer to theatre groups performing Miss Julie?

Go ahead :)

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Eponine posted:

I majored in French, and did most of my papers for my historical language classes on French revolutions and Napoleon is always the batshittiest.

Why do you say hurtful things? :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atreiden posted:

The term the Silk Road(s) was first coined in the late 19th century by ar german named Ferdinand von Richthofen. Before that, nobody talked about a silk road to China. In fact most silk in antiquity and medieval times came from India, where they collected silk pupae from non-domesticated silkworms. (unlike the chinese silk, that came and comes from domesticated silkworms). And the main thing traded along the silk road was metals and dyes.
In early imperial rome, the trade with India was such a big thing that Pliny the elder complained about it. In early Imperial rome, roughly 120 ships annually made the trip to India and back using the Monsoon winds. Just 100 years before, it was about 20 ships.

Trying to correct facts in this thread is a fools errand. I was gritting my teeth reading through that one dudes post about ancient Egypt being a progressive wonderland for women

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Atreiden posted:

Not saying your wrong because what do I know, but wikipedia says Aristotle said there were lions in Greece in 300 BC.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lions_in_Europe
Also apparently they were in the Caucasus until the tenth century.

Also lovely drawings of lions just indicates to me that artists don't see many lions.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Trying to correct facts in this thread is a fools errand. I was gritting my teeth reading through that one dudes post about ancient Egypt being a progressive wonderland for women

Yeah saw that one too. I guess you could say that in Ptolemaic and roman Egypt, Egyptian women did have more rights and freedom than Greek Women, and to a lesser degree Roman. But calling it an equal society is certainly wrong. The Egyptian Kingdom in Ptolemaic times and as Roman province, since the local people where allowed to keep their old laws and courts. Mening a citizen could in theory go to three different courts, with different laws, an Egyptian, a Greek (based on Athenian law) and a Roman, depending on the status of the Citizen. For instance could a Half Egyptian half greek citizen go to both courts. For Greek-Egyptians women couldn't inherit, but Egyptian could. So we sometimes see women who lost in a Greek court, going to an Egyptian with the same complaint and winning.
Citizenship depended on your parents and where you were born. From Ptolemaic times, since they where Greek (I know they wher Macedone, but it was a Greek kingdom in antiquity) we see Greek colony-cities where Greek laws apply. This continues in roman times, with the addtion of Roman Colonies.

Another fun fact. The Word Gypsy is derived from Egyptian. When the romani started to arrive in England in the late 16ht- early 17th century, the government mistook them as Egyptians. You can see anti-poor/ anti-begger pamphlets calling for vagabonds and Egyptians to be thrown out of cities. Later Egyptians becomes Gyptians and in the end Gypsies.

rock rock posted:

Not saying your wrong because what do I know, but wikipedia says Aristotle said there were lions in Greece in 300 BC.

Also lovely drawings of lions just indicates to me that artists don't see many lions.

Fair enough about Caucasus, it's really a border case and a bit hard to call Europe. As far as I know, there is still no actual Archaeological evidence for lions in Greece by Historic times, but I concede with several written texst mentioning them, there certainy could be some pockets of Greece where they lived in antuiqity, though written sources should be taken with a large grain of salt, in that periode. The link though mentions that they where extinct by 100 B.C. in Europe and that the last fossil record dates to 3000 b.c.
Doesn't really change the fact that Greek and Roman lions in art, can be traced back to Assyrian depictions.

Atreiden has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Nov 10, 2015

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Bonapartisan posted:

Aww it's not his fault! He, like basically everyone at that point, was suffering from a wicked case of syphilis.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Not touching Liondebate with a ten foot stick, but

rock rock posted:

has a funny story to it. When european kings were gifted lions and wanted to stuff them, taxidermists were hosed because they didn't know what a lion was supposed to look like. GIS poorly taxidermied lion if you dare.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

edit: ^^^^^^ lmao

I don't know why the English Wikipedia doesn't really mention this, but this account and especially the number of casualties is grossly exaggerated. The only contemporary source (the court report from 23 September 1788) mentions that baggage and retinue were sent forward to Karánsebes, with Austrian cavalry being supposed to protect it from Ottoman forces. In the dark it came to great confusion when parts of that cavalry mistook each other for Ottomans and opened fire, upon which a part of the retinue led the waggons behind and fled to Karánsebes on horseback. Some waggons were lost in the ensuing chaos, and a good number of Austrian soldiers died in the skirmish, but the official account mentions "only" 150 dead. 10,000 KIA with nary a contemporary source sounds suspiciously like a later legend (there are no Ottoman or Hungarian sources on this at all, by the way), and indeed this number only appears in accounts of the battle written at least 60 years later.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Atreiden posted:

Doesn't really change the fact that Greek and Roman lions in art, can be traced back to Assyrian depictions.

This is true, but it's not really a point in favor of "there were no lions in Europe". It's kind of like saying that because Roman statues of humans draw on previous Greek statuary tradition, there must not have been any humans in Italy. :)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rock rock posted:

Aristotle also wrote about what were basically krakens and large flying lizards so I'm not sure everything was on the up and up with his zoology musings

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

To be fair, we tend to overplay West Asian/North African misogyny and underplay European misogyny in the West when it comes to talking about antiquity. Most places in the ancient world were wonderlands for women compared to Athens, for one of the big examples. One commonly held Athenian medical belief was that women were men who failed to develop all the way and that periods were failed sperm formation. Women were only legally allowed to make transactions for about two handfuls of grain, and only with the permission of their male guardian. They were expected to only leave the house veiled, and unless it was something like an evacuation only for weddings, funerals and if their husband/father was feeling nice, to come with him to visit one of his male friends' households. Funerals were actually one of the most common places for women to meet the man they would marry because of this. Women also generally weren't trusted to cook or do housework since they were considered too stupid to do those. Obviously this got less intense as you got further into the countryside away from the central city, where women going outside and helping around the house was required if you wanted to actually get stuff done, and there were exceptions, but the traditional female roles in Athenian society were pretty terrible even by the standards of their times.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Besesoth posted:

This is true, but it's not really a point in favor of "there were no lions in Europe". It's kind of like saying that because Roman statues of humans draw on previous Greek statuary tradition, there must not have been any humans in Italy. :)

Good thing that that was never my argument then. My initial response was to a guy saying that you saw lions in art all over Europe in the medieval periode, because there where Lions in Europe by medieval time. I pointed out that by the time historic time, ea Antiquity, the lion was already extinct in Europe. This is backed up by the fact that there are no fossil data younger than 3000 B.C. A couple of people pointed out that there are some written sources from greek mentioning lions, and that there still where lions in Caucasus by the medievel periode. My second point was that these written sources was fairly dubious and that Caucasus, on the edge of Europa, doesn't explain Lion imagery in the rest of Europa. Especially considering that The Caucasus wasn't really in much contact with Europe and that we can trace lion imagery back Roman/greek antique art, who in turn initially borrowed it from Assyrian (and to a lesser degree Egyptian art).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the things that the Greeks thought was really barbaric and horrible about the Persians is that they allowed women to lead armies and inherit property.

One funny thing about 300 is how much emphasis they put on the Persians being "an army of slaves" when slavery was mostly banned in the Persian empire since Zoroastrianism, the state religion of Persia, forbid slavery. Meanwhile the main reasons the Spartans could have a society where most men are soldiers is that they had an insane number of slaves to do all the actual work, which also helped fuel the need for more militarism since when you are outnumbered by your slaves you need to be able to crush rebellions easily.

I know 300 isn't really meant to be historically accurate since it's a film based on a Frank Miller comic that's based on a older film that's loosely based on real events but the battle is still thought about as a clash between freedom and tyranny and there are plenty of people who think that if the Persians had won the war the world would be worse. I mean the world would obviously be vastly different but at least a lot of Greeks would be more free under tyranny than under democracy.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Nov 10, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bonapartisan posted:

Hows that continental system going :smug:

Ah, I'm kidding you are alright. Seriously though, listen to Talleyrand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the things that the Greeks thought was really barbaric and horrible about the Persians is that they allowed women to lead armies and inherit property.

One funny thing about 300, which I know isn't meant to be historically accurate since it's a film based on a Frank Miller comic that's based on a older film that's loosely based on real events, is how much emphasis they put on the Persians being "an army of slaves" when slavery was mostly banned in the Persian empire since Zoroastrianism, the state religion of Persia, forbid slavery. Meanwhile the main reasons the Spartans could have a society where most men are soldiers is that they had an insane number of slaves to do all the actual work, which also helped fuel the need for more militarism since when you are outnumbered by your slaves you need to be able to crush rebellions easily.

That and when you have a society that's entirely run on slave labor you need to keep the slave raids up to get more slaves. As badass as they were the Spartans were really not nice people and lovely neighbors. They were also hyper traditional and refused to change with the times, which ultimately destroyed them.

Speaking of women another interesting thing about Sparta was that the woman was the head of the household. Reason being, her husband and her sons were very rarely actually there. There always seemed to be some war or another that Spartans wanted to run off and fight in. Plus the training of Spartans was pretty bonkers so the sons were sent off to it early and rarely saw home. Somebody had to run the place so that was mom. Granted part of it was that fighting was considered the most important thing so of course the men were off fighting all the time while women were forced to do the boring crap.

Apparently Spartans also considered "adultery is bad" to be an absolutely alien concept. Making more Spartans was considered the most important thing in marriages but the men were often away for multiple years, if they came back at all. So Spartans would sleep with their friends' wives when they were gone. The story goes was that a prominent Spartan's wife had more children when he came back when he left and his response was "yup, these are mine." Another Greek was like "lol wut" and he was like "well their father was my one friend but they're part of my household. I gently caress his wife when he's gone. We're cool like that."

The rest of Greece liked having Spartans around so long as they were on the same side but even Sparta's friends and allies considered Spartans weird, dangerous, and scarily unhinged. There was no unified entity that was Greece at the time and the various city-states often fought among themselves. When a greater thread (i.e, Persia) rolled up most Greeks could band together long enough to deal with the threat. The Spartans, of course, rushed to the front lines and were the first to fight because "gently caress you we're Spartans."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also mocked them for wearing trousers and for the Romans trousers were a sign of barbarism.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

They also mocked them for wearing trousers and for the Romans trousers were a sign of barbarism.

Asterix and Obelix makes a little more sense now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Alhazred posted:

Roman legwear oddly enough reminds me of Jhorts.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

System Metternich posted:

edit: ^^^^^^ lmao

The profile actually looks like a heraldic lion, though. They really just have never seen a lion.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

The profile actually looks like a heraldic lion, though. They really just have never seen a lion.

Didn't someone debunk this by showing it from the angle it was supposed to be presented at where it then looked pretty good, even if still somewhat incorrect?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Didn't someone debunk this by showing it from the angle it was supposed to be presented at where it then looked pretty good, even if still somewhat incorrect?
You're looking at the angle it was probably supposed to be presented at. Like Steak said. From the side, it does sort of look a heraldic presentation of a lion.

While not as hilarious looking, there's also the Horniman Walrus. The taxidermist didn't know walrus are wrinkly so he overstuffed the poor thing. Resulting this huge monster with stretched out skin. Queen Victoria apparently loved it though.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
That poo poo about Farouk was amazing. His relationship with food reminds me of an Egyptian Diamond Jim.

you know what we need to bring back?

the dude battle.

what the gently caress is a dude battle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evander_Berry_Wall

let Evander Berry Wall, King of the Dudes, tell you all about it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Chaco Culture, centered at Chaco Canyon in what is now New Mexico consumed chocolate in cylindrical vessels similar to those used in Mesoamerica, the nearest source for chocolate was in West Mexico, near what is now Jalisco. In addition, the Chacoans had macaws, copper and tessarae, all of Mesoamerican origin. Despite this, no genetic or local cultural evidence exists for Mesoamerican populations living in the region.

Sources: Crown, Patricia L. and W. Jeffrey Hurst 2009, Evidence of cacao use in the Prehispanic American Southwest, PNAS vol. 106, no 7.
Schillaci, Michael A. 2003, The Development of Population Diversity at Chaco Canyon, Kiva vol. 68, no. 3.

KiteAuraan has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Nov 11, 2015

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Awesome.

To keep up the cool historical facts: Charles XII of Sweden ran an incredibly disciplined army, predicated on religious faith. The core tenant - and part of the reason they did fairly well in the Great Northern War's early stages - was that only God decided if a man would live or die, and absolute obedience was necessary for the army. To that degree - and to maintain discipline - the punishment for taking the Lord's name in vain was death.

Charles XII was, by legend, supposedly unkillable. It's believed that the bullet that killed him was fired by his own men. Even more fanciful legends say that it was a silver bullet, made from one of the buttons of his coat.

He was a bit of a badass, and is still a contentious figure in Swedish history. Right-wing nationalists have been using him as a rallying figure for well over a hundred years; the most famous feud over him is the disintegrating friendship between Strindberg and Verner von Heidenstam over their disagreement about how to see him. Strindberg thought him a fool, and his play, Charles XII, can be read as a Swedenborgian trip to hell by the king, who may be dead at the beginning of the fifth tableau.

For final weird Scandinavian history facts, the Vasa was a Swedish warship that barely made it out of the harbor before sinking. It was roughly 400 meters from shore when it sank.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

President John Tyler (1790-1862), a man who held the office from 1841-45, has two living grandsons.

As of last check. Couldn't find any evidence that they had died since the last news sources earlier this year.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Melbourne was originally going to be called Batmania, after John Batman.

This would have lead to awesomely named football teams such as the Batmania Demons, Batmania Heart, (now Batmania City), and the currently defunct basketball team East Batmania Spectres.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Melbourne was originally going to be called Batmania, after John Batman.

This would have lead to awesomely named football teams such as the Batmania Demons, Batmania Heart, (now Batmania City), and the currently defunct basketball team East Batmania Spectres.

There is a position in Australia's parliament called Shadow Minister for Justice. It is currently held by the member from Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Invisible Clergy posted:

That poo poo about Farouk was amazing. His relationship with food reminds me of an Egyptian Diamond Jim.

you know what we need to bring back?

the dude battle.

what the gently caress is a dude battle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evander_Berry_Wall

let Evander Berry Wall, King of the Dudes, tell you all about it.

This is me getting my mail