Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The Roman emperor Nero's mom, Agrippina, was pretty power-hungry, and was the one who arranged for him to be emperor (through years of networking and manipulation). But after he ascended and started asserting himself, Nero was afraid that now that he was out from under Agrippina's thumb, she would try to get rid of him and put someone more controllable on the throne. So he decided to kill her.

He had to make it look like an accident, though, so he arranged to build a ship that would wreck itself, put her on it, and set it to sail. The ship successfully wrecked - but Agrippina simply swam to shore, dried off, and kept on keepin' on.

Nero finally had to poison her to get rid of her.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Holy Roman Empire was not holy, Roman, or an empire.

I'm all verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Atreiden posted:

Doesn't really change the fact that Greek and Roman lions in art, can be traced back to Assyrian depictions.

This is true, but it's not really a point in favor of "there were no lions in Europe". It's kind of like saying that because Roman statues of humans draw on previous Greek statuary tradition, there must not have been any humans in Italy. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

gleebster posted:

Nepos actually means grandson.

You will discover that "nepos" meant both "grandson" and "nephew", as well as the more general "descendant."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Present posted:

I like words. Like the word "laconic."

From Wikipedia :

A laconic phrase or laconism is a concise or terse statement, especially a blunt and elliptical rejoinder.
It is named after Laconia, the region of Greece including the city of Sparta, whose inhabitants had a reputation for verbal austerity and were famous for their blunt and often pithy remarks.

My favorite example of a laconic phrase is:
After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If." Subsequently neither Philip nor his son Alexander the Great attempted to capture the city.

I love Laconian terseness. My favorite response is from Herodotus, describing how the Samians came to Sparta for aid. The Samians spent a full day describing their predicament, at which point the Spartans said they'd gotten bored and forgotten what the Samians had said. The Samians came back the next day with a sack, and said "Our sack needs grain". The Spartans said "we can see the sack; you could have just said "needs grain."

(But the Samians got the aid.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phy posted:

We used to have a "poo poo I just figured out" thread; I didn't see it in the first three pages so I'm assuming it's been mercifully killed.

No, its undead cadaver lurches ever onward in search of faaaaaaaake etymoooooologieeeees...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mr. Flunchy posted:

To be fair to the stable lad, Potatoes is an loving awful name for a racehorse.

Yeah, racehorses need names like 24 Carrot Seven, Lettuce Prey, and Raspberry Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rutibex posted:

Yes it is, though its super close. The Illiad and the Odyssey are epic poems from a much earlier greek oral tradition. They were basically the first things written down (by the Greeks). Memorizing poo poo got to a point where writing it down was necessary.

What? No. The oral tradition from Collapse-era Greece wasn't pre-writing any more than, as System Metternich mentioned, the oral tradition of illiterate peasants in medieval France. Mycenaean Greece had writing - Linear B - which is even recognizably the ancestor of Homeric and Attic Greek. That literacy was largely lost in Greece in the Bronze Age Collapse doesn't make their oral tradition "pre-writing".

Going beyond that, we have plenty of writing from cultures that had contact with the Greeks, both in Homer's era and in the Mycenaean era, and that had had writing for more than a thousand years before the Collapse, and there's no evidence in their writing that the Greek thought process was fundamentally different from their own, which would be almost inevitable if the Trojan War-era Greeks had had a bicameral mind.