Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RULES:

1) You do not need to include a source, but if someone calls you on a post, you will need to provide one.

2) Wikipedia is an acceptable source! This is not a thesis paper. However, Wikipedia is banned in academic circles for a reason, so if someone can contest you, you lose... points? You lose points.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

I will start:

After the end of his presidency, Ronald Reagan revealed a long-standing fantasy of cramming Mikhail Gorbachev into a helicopter for the express purpose of flying him around America, pointing at things Reagan thought were neat.

Speaking of presidents, Ulysses S. Grant was a never-nude; he used to brag that no one had seen him naked in years, save for his wife, since West Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

System Metternich posted:

:eng101: In 1813, the 14th King's Hussars, a British cavalry regiment, were part of the Battle of Vitoria and captured the chamberpot of Napoleon's brother Joseph, then the King of Spain. They still retain it (though they've been combined with other units to the "King's Royal Hussars" now), and the officers traditionally drink champagne out of it on mess nights.

:barf:

Onward:

Well-meaning privately-funded and government care packages meant for soldier's families in WWI Canada ran into a lot of trouble immediately once it became evident how many Canadian married men had more than one wife.

For a brief time, many Europeans thought tomatoes were poisonous.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

OBR posted:

Why Gorbachev exactly? He became the General Secretary in 1985, so why was he in Reagan's long standing fantasies?

EDIT: Whoops, remembered Reagan's presidency ended in 1986. So i guess he had more time to fantasize about Gorba than i first thought.

'89, actually. Extremely popular for a guy who should have been loving impeached, IMO.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

canyoneer posted:

Reagan went through 720 lbs a month of Jelly Belly jellybeans in the White House. His method of eating Jelly Bellys (by the handful) was seen as crass by the enthusiasts who prefer to eat them one by one.

The company that makes Zildjian cymbals was formed in the 17th Century Ottoman Empire to make scary noisemaker cymbals for the army.

These two made me laugh like crazy, thank you.

:eng101: Charles II of Spain, because of his deformities and disabilities, was neither expected to attend school or bathe. Ever. Also: "The physician who practiced his autopsy stated that his body "did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water." Neat!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

trickybiscuits posted:

:eng101: A sootikin (or sooterkin) was/is an accumulation of dirt, soot, sweat, dead sloughed-off skin cells, and menstrual and vaginal discharge that would build up in the crotches of women who didn't wear underwear (common before 1800) and then fall out, giving rise to the belief that they were small animals that some women were capable of giving birth to.

:gonk: THIS WAS NOT FUN

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

President Benjamin Harrison had two opossums as pets. They were named Mr. Protection and Mr. Reciprocity.

OTHER NOTABLE PRESIDENTIAL PETS

Mark & Satan (dogs), owned by John Adams.

Emily Spinach (a snake), owned by Theodore Roosevelt. He also owned a hyena and a small bear (whose name was Johnathan Edwards).

Tax Reduction and Budget Bureau (lion cubs), owned by Calvin Coolidge.

edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention that Coolidge also owned a pair of raccoons.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Nov 5, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

James Joyce also really liked his wife's farts.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

This entire page was exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread: passionate discussions about historical minutiae.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

canyoneer posted:

Lead-based eye makeup, no less.

You'd probably see a strike at a modern US construction site if the foreman restricted use of sunglasses.

Speaking of lead-based makeup, I once heard that Queen Elizabeth I started a brief trend in the English court where exposing your breasts was all the rage. I cannot remember where I heard this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, on that same note, one of my favourite historical figures was Shane O'Neill (one of them), who pledged his allegiance to Queen Elizabeth, and in the time it took him to travel to Scotland, did the same thing to Mary, Queen of Scots. He died around 40 or so. :3: I named one of my teddy bears after him.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Happy Armistice Day, everyone!

During the Imperial War Conference in the First World War, Canada briefly tried to gain control of Maine and Alaska because we didn't understand the idea that we were trying to seize enemy territory. :canada:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can...you provide a bit more detail :stare:

Yes. During the conference, Robert Borden and an another representative (whose name escapes me now) vacillated between discussions. Borden's ultimate goals were to support the British Empire, and, inexplicably, gain territory and fame for the United States (possibly to increase trade). While Borden was out, his representative suggested taking over Maine and reversing the Alaskan border dispute before he was taken aside and informed that the purpose of this meeting was to distribute enemy territory, not take over the US or gain control over other Dominion islands.

If you'd like to read more, transcripts from the War Conference are available but they are very boring.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Red Bones posted:

Fun fact, children have been drawing pictures of themselves doing cool things for time immemorial.

What is this? I love it.

goose fleet posted:

Constantinople fell in 1453 and Columbus made his first voyage in 1492, so there are definitely people at the time that would have seen both the final collapse of the Roman Empire and the "discovery" of the New World.

This actually kind of freaks me out. I always think of history as this linear thing where everything politely waits a few years for other things to happen, regardless of location.

Martin Luther King Jr. and Anne Frank were born in the same year, about six months apart. It's always strange how you place them in such dramatically different places in history. Similarly, Barbara Walters was also born in the same year.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Honj Steak posted:

It's from the Onfim drawings Archangel linked one post before that.

Oh, poo poo, sorry. Thanks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Canada initially didn't let First Nations people into WWI because, to quote Sam Hughes, "Germans may fail to extend to them the privileges of civilized warfare". Like, the idea was that sure, British people would LOVE to serve with you guys, both those nasty Germans. Some guys still got in during the beginning, though.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

Some vaguely early rock and surf music related factoids:

:eng101: When the Ventures recorded Walk, don't run in 1960, their drummer, one Skip Moore, chose to be paid a lump $25 (About $200 today) instead of royalties, and left the band. (I Imagine him being all smug and buying a nice radio or something with the proceeds of a weekend's work on a doomed single) The song was a million seller and the band later sold over 100 million records. Another early drummer eventually became a general in the USAF.

"Heh, idiots"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Farmland Park posted:

Chairman Mao was 5'11 (180cm) which was fairly tall for a Chinese person, especially at the time.

I'm going to agree that heights tend to be exaggerated, but a six foot tall Chinese person who was born before 1900 would have been pretty impressive. To be fair, I don't think his family was particularly poor, so maybe he was well-fed and maybe was exceptionally tall, but maybe it was a little exaggerated.

MAYBE: A Historian's Handbook

Actually, speaking of which, can anyone recommend a book about the development of Communist China that isn't Wild Swans (just because I already own it).

cash crab has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Jan 27, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Do you mean during the Republic and the war, or post-victory? I should be able to link you to some good free electronized books on the former when I get home.

Either one, actually. Thanks!

WickedHate posted:

This was going on with Hitler until detailed knowledge of the Holocaust became a widespread thing and he became Literally Hitler.

I never want or need context for this.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

quote:

Dr. Sergey Sergeyevich Bryukhonenko had already laid the groundwork for what Russian scientists were proposing, and they wasted no time in putting it into practice. No such head-start was afforded them in the construction of the mechanical body, however, and yet the team still managed to build a working prototype in the span of two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Brukhonenko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiments_in_the_Revival_of_Organisms

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

> собака
> робот
> ???
> коммунизм!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

He'd be the hands down winner in the lap time category though.

:smith:

Also, I have just learned that Nixon and Eisenhower were related! Through marriage. Kind of. Nixon's daughter married Eisenhower's grandson. I have not gone through enough of this thread to find out if this has been mentioned or not yet.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

A White Guy posted:

Don't forget the utterly horrifying portrait of one of the searchers for the Expedition:

imagine encountering this thing in a dark house in the middle of the night

I can't stop laughing about how dewy his eyes look.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fact: this is loving adorable and :magical:

It's like an Onion article. "Liechenstein Nazis agitate over country's singular 'Jewish problem'".

Part of me feels really bad for laughing about this, but this is really good.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Just remembered my favourite Ulysses S. Grant fact, who, aside from being my favourite person ever, was once nominated to play Desdemona in a company production of Othello and he was so bad they had to hire a woman from NY to replace him. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

PYF Historical Fun Fact: I thought it was Raphael who was cool, but rude?

Mods, I beg of you.

ask and ye shall receive