Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert-murdoch-national-geographic-layoffs/

quote:

Rupert Murdoch Takes Over National Geographic, Then Lays Off Award-Winning Staff
November 3, 2015 Nathaniel Downes

MURDOCH’S GOT PLANS FOR NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.

The memo went out, and November 3rd 2015 came to the National Geographic office. This was the day in which Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox took over National Geographic. The management of National Geographic sent out an email telling its staff, all of its staff, all to report to their headquarters, and wait by their phones. This pulled back every person who was in the field, every photographer, every reporter, even those on vacation had to show up on this fateful day.

As these phones rang, one by one National Geographic let go the award-winning staff, and the venerable institution was no more.

The name now belongs to Rupert Murdoch, and he has plans for it. The CEO of National Geographic Society, Greg Knell, tried to claim back in September that there “there won’t be an [editorial] turn in a direction that is different form the National Geographic heritage.” Murdoch’s move today only served to prove Knell’s words hollow, with hundreds of talented people now served their pink slips. And with the recognition that Murdoch’s other enterprises do not reflect the standards held by National Geographic, and with Murdoch’s history of changing the editorial direction of purchased properties, today’s move indicates that we can expect a similar shift for National Geographic.

National Geographic‘s weakness has been its cable channel. While it does feature many pieces on scientific endeavors, it also has featured shows such as Doomsday Preppers and Chasing UFO’s which lacked much of the respectability of the print magazine. They have since been removed from the schedule, but the damage to the channels reputation remains, and reflects poorly upon National Geographic itself.

The National Geographic Society has long stood for science, research, and investigation. Murdoch’s companies have long stood against all three. The two positions would be in conflict, save Murdoch’s company is firmly in control. The editorial changes will therefore be severe, and erode the 127 years of publication excellence. For the men and women who brought National Geographic to worldwide prominence, the termination of employment is a tragic end both for hard-working people, and for National Geographic itself.

Hopefully the magazine stays the same and the lovely channel gets fixed. But I doubt señor Murdoch will let them keep up their hippy science mumbo jumbo bullshit like:

RIP Nat Geo, your pictures were awesome.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really hope they don't gently caress up the only magazine I read :(

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Grew up reading this. My grandpa kept every issue he ever got from his own youth. He's probably going to throw his tumbler at the TV when he sees this report come up. RIP.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I really hope they don't gently caress up the only magazine I read :(

they already did by firing all the staff

it's dead now, there is no way it will recover, especially under that shithead's watch

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

nat geo is ok but it really can't keep up with other bastions of science like wired and /r/askscience

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

it's dead now, there is no way it will recover, especially under that shithead's watch

Yeah this sucks. What a loving rear end in a top hat

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Wow, RIP. As far as I'm concerned, the magazine is done.

Rupert Mordoch is like on a war against science or something

EDIT heh, didn't realize that the linked picture said the same exact thing

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
They had really good photographers. Now Nat Geo is gonna talk about the achieve behind creationism and poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

They had really good photographers. Now Nat Geo is gonna talk about the achieve behind creationism and poo poo.

I don't understand getting rid of the photographers and photo editors. It makes no sense to me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
welp

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Murdoch 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crazyeyes posted:

In that issue with the war on science they have a picture from a creationist museum where adam and eve are in the garden of eden with a bunch of velociraptors and stegosauruses and stuff. The entire "war on science" article was tongue in cheek hilarious because it was a 14 page exposé on how dumb people are and how resistant they can be to new ideas, like a map from the mid 1800s of a flat earth with bible quotes in each corner:

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 4, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't understand getting rid of the photographers and photo editors. It makes no sense to me.

Have you ever bought one of those giant Time magazine coffee table books? I was flipping through one at a family friend's house and they had some stunning pictures in it. Shame what happened to real talent and care.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Good I hope he puts more hot blondes in it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
NatGeo as we knew it is probably going to die eventually, but in the near term I assume he laid everybody off to hire them all back as contractors for 75% of their pay and no health insurance.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Why keep a bunch of wildlife photographers out in the field when you're just going to put old pics of Ronald Reagan on every page now?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

natgeo sounds too stilted, let's call it 'nage alright

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
i remember when national geographic used to have giant troll issues like where the cover said "Is evolution real?" and the very first page said "of course it is you retard". Same with climate change, I think.

now theyre goign to teach teh controversy haahahaha

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ashgromnies posted:

It's going to be a much shittier magazine, but it's not like they're going to be running creation science stories or reporting on the latest evidence for noah's flood. Just worse writing, less awesome pictures, and more travel fluff.

The value in National Geographic Magazine is the name brand, but the Society is still an independent organization. If they said it can't have our name on it anymore it would be a big loss.

The insidious thing about Murdoch is that he doesn't believe half the poo poo his outlets run.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Klyith posted:

It's going to be a much shittier magazine, but it's not like they're going to be running creation science stories or reporting on the latest evidence for noah's flood. Just worse writing, less awesome pictures, and more travel fluff.

The value in National Geographic Magazine is the name brand, but the Society is still an independent organization. If they said it can't have our name on it anymore it would be a big loss.

The insidious thing about Murdoch is that he doesn't believe half the poo poo his outlets run.

actually murdoch reallyd oes change the editorial/political tilt in a lot of the publications he purchases. see, for instance, WSJ editorials then and now. theres been a real big change.

fox news is its own little fiefdom but even mainstream fox publications have a pro-giant coroproations tilt

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
This is the magazine that has the natural ethnic babes running around with the torpedo titties hanging out and everything

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
SO all those fired award winning writers are just gonna start their own magazine right? I mean it worked for giant bomb

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

In that issue with the war on science they have a picture from a creationist museum where adam and eve are in the garden of eden with a bunch of velociraptors and stegosauruses and stuff. The entire "war on science" article was tongue in cheek hilarious because it was a 14 page exposé on how dumb people are and how resistant they can be to new ideas, like a map from the mid 1800s of a flat earth with bible quotes in each corner:

im the disembodied head with a shrubbery on my face keeping watch over the earth

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
really hope natgeo.com becomes buzzfeed but with "scientific" articles that would own and be cool

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Actually it's about ethics in torpedo titty journalism.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
let's not neglect the sad looking pancake titties thaat go halfway down a lady's chest

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Klyith posted:

I really do see it having less articles about hard science stuff like the one about coffee where they showed production from the agricultural start to the hipster barista consumer level. There was some cool information in there about the chemicals in coffee, the culture of caffeine, the artisanal stuff and even how they make decaf coffee. So now it's just going to be "here's pictures of Bali so you can have the carrot on the end of the stick so you'll keep slaving away at your lovely job in hopes of saving enough to eventually travel here on your pittance of a vacation time."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
They should just dress models up as tribes people.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I doubt the writers actually deserved awards and if they somehow did I'm sure the awards are meaningless poo poo. Even if the awards aren't meaningless poo poo and the writing was decent they deserve to be homeless for stealing the spotlight and acclaim which rightfully belongs to the animals. If I found out in a week that a NatGeo writer was butchered and cannibalized in some back alley hobo town, it would make me happy. I'm sure Murdoch feels the same way and I'm no longer surprised about how or why he's a billionaire.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Germstore posted:

They should just dress models up as tribes people.

Especially if we get to see their boobS!!! :q::q::q:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baba Ganoush posted:

I doubt the writers actually deserved awards and if they somehow did I'm sure the awards are meaningless poo poo. Even if the awards aren't meaningless poo poo and the writing was decent they deserve to be homeless for stealing the spotlight and acclaim which rightfully belongs to the animals. If I found out in a week that a NatGeo writer was butchered and cannibalized in some back alley hobo town, it would make me happy. I'm sure Murdoch feels the same way and I'm no longer surprised about how or why he's a billionaire.

I don't think you actually read the magazine.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think you actually read the magazine.

What difference does it make?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baba Ganoush posted:

What difference does it make?

Your opinion has no base and is worthless, please try to be useful. Thanks.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baba Ganoush posted:

same

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Your opinion has no base and is worthless

same

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
So you're telling me with 100s of now jobless educated people, not one of the people fired is going to start a new company to compete with this? If no one does what a waste of a possibility.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really do see it having less articles about hard science stuff like the one about coffee where they showed production from the agricultural start to the hipster barista consumer level. There was some cool information in there about the chemicals in coffee, the culture of caffeine, the artisanal stuff and even how they make decaf coffee. So now it's just going to be "here's pictures of Bali so you can have the carrot on the end of the stick so you'll keep slaving away at your lovely job in hopes of saving enough to eventually travel here on your pittance of a vacation time."

Honestly if anything will go it's going to be the in depth cultural stuff.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

na he's gonna re-hire that 10% full of ALEC funded "scientists" and "researchers"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

OlmanRiver posted:

So you're telling me with 100s of now jobless educated people, not one of the people fired is going to start a new company to compete with this? If no one does what a waste of a possibility.

Most likely they're going to get hired by Vice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunkboxer posted:

Honestly if anything will go it's going to be the in depth cultural stuff.

Some of those were cool and some were really boring with dumb pictures so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

• Locked thread