Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OlmanRiver posted:

So you're telling me with 100s of now jobless educated people, not one of the people fired is going to start a new company to compete with this? If no one does what a waste of a possibility.

lucky starting a new company is very easy especially starting a company with the intent of taking on a monolithic company owned by one of the world's richest business men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Most likely they're going to get hired by Vice

i'd b okay with this because vice has been p good the last few years. dont know why people call them bro documentaries because stuff like going to liberia to talk with butt naked and stuff is legit as hell

but i might change my mind if i knew of more news agencies who did the embedded reporters then actually put their reports up somewhere instead of giving me a 5 minute clip then telling me to buy their book

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Surprised it took so long tbh. NG was a pretty big fixture in my life as a kid and I hope Murdoch's head explodes in the near future.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwiNuO3gilc

Hope the next cover is this lil guy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Robo Reagan posted:

lucky starting a new company is very easy especially starting a company with the intent of taking on a monolithic company owned by one of the world's richest business men

this but unironically.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Robo Reagan posted:

i'd b okay with this because vice has been p good the last few years. dont know why people call them bro documentaries because stuff like going to liberia to talk with butt naked and stuff is legit as hell

but i might change my mind if i knew of more news agencies who did the embedded reporters then actually put their reports up somewhere instead of giving me a 5 minute clip then telling me to buy their book

I think they're labelled "bro documentaries" because there's not a whole lot of professionalism and they're very up front with the "yeah I'm half assing this" aspect of reporting that a lot of people try to hide. However once you get passed that they're not that bad, and like you said I like how they'll post the whole article and not try to sell a book to you.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

Especially if we get to see their boobS!!! :q::q::q:

Im not going to pussy foot around the only reason I am reading this thread is in case somebody posts some of those

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://news.vice.com/article/these-kids-are-ripping-donald-trump-for-being-a-racist-dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDW1R9OmOr0

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

get rid of the comments vice, even vox was smart enough to do that

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
but the comments section is the best part of any website

hell if mensa or the nobel peace prize guys had a site and only members/recipients could post comments it'd still be a bunch of people calling each other subhuman filth and saying we should nuke the middle east

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nonsense posted:

get rid of the comments vice, even vox was smart enough to do that

Actually this is censorship and is part of a larger plot by the reactionary feminist media to

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how it's possible for someone to be so dull and humorless without at one point having been beaten into a coma by one or more people.

Anyway, thanks for the thought provoking thread, voted 3

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wow someones taken off the kiddie gloves and is in for a no holds barred flame war call his mom a slut next

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I have a feeling that the winner of this dick waving contest is going to be the first one to post the titties

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:nws: due to fat tribal titties

http://imgur.com/qGrnLeT

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

don't forget the highest corporate tax rates in the world :obama:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
How could a bunch of writers ever start a website- they aren't magicians. Not enough eye rolls in the world.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Dem dicks, yo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i thought boob/dick combinations were all the rage now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

:mrwhite:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Breaking: Nat Geo now says developing fossil fuels on federal lands is good for the planet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Breaking: Nat Geo now says developing fossil fuels on federal lands is good for the planet

photo essay on how the oil industry is helping the environment

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think they're labelled "bro documentaries" because there's not a whole lot of professionalism and they're very up front with the "yeah I'm half assing this" aspect of reporting that a lot of people try to hide. However once you get passed that they're not that bad, and like you said I like how they'll post the whole article and not try to sell a book to you.

I think that's a fair criticism (although it varies wildly depending on who is doing the reporting - a lot of the time people look at the stupid website reports that people can just submit or whatever and conflate that with stuff like the ISIS reporting) but on the other hand I feel like there's no new agency worth a poo poo anymore in the professionalism or integrity department. They're all out to make special interests look good and there's no investigative journalism to speak of anymore with them anyway.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spanish Manlove posted:

http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert-murdoch-national-geographic-layoffs/

Hopefully the magazine stays the same and the lovely channel gets fixed. But I doubt seņor Murdoch will let them keep up their hippy science mumbo jumbo bullshit like:

RIP Nat Geo, your pictures were awesome.

But it's the left who promotes the whole GMO is evil and the Moon landing was Fake thing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Oi, you want some nudies of the royal family? We've snapped a whole bevvy. 'ere you go, m8.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Moridin920 posted:

I think that's a fair criticism (although it varies wildly depending on who is doing the reporting - a lot of the time people look at the stupid website reports that people can just submit or whatever and conflate that with stuff like the ISIS reporting) but on the other hand I feel like there's no new agency worth a poo poo anymore in the professionalism or integrity department. They're all out to make special interests look good and there's no investigative journalism to speak of anymore with them anyway.

Maybe we've covered every facet of the earth worth talking about and now all that exists are sad stories like mexican cartels trafficking people into the USA to serve as neo-slaves like how the triads were doing this in california only they're using meth and weed money instead of heroin money to fund it all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
honestly a lot of new scientific developments are way too technical to describe to most people because science has been making leaps and bounds since computers took off

much easier to make a story people will watch if its about cartels murderraping people instead of how discovery of a new particle is relevant to the average person

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not even that, it's just the obvious bias that most major news organizations have. It isn't even liberal v conservative so much as it is just pro whatever conglomerate owns the media company.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

It's not even that, it's just the obvious bias that most major news organizations have. It isn't even liberal v conservative so much as it is just pro whatever conglomerate owns the media company.

Similar to the finance system it's pretty scary how a few media conglomerates own a majority of US media companies.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully there are anti monopoly laws to keep things from getting too out of hand

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

Rupert Mordoch is like on a war against science or something

I rarely say this but the day Rupert Murdoch finally loving dies will be a good day for the world.

I don't just say that because he screwed up a magazine, but because that man is a whirlwind of causing serious damage out of pure unfiltered greed.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Its good that youre showing initiative but it would be really easy for somebody to top this one

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

is nat geo the hip millennial way to call it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

OlmanRiver posted:

So you're telling me with 100s of now jobless educated people, not one of the people fired is going to start a new company to compete with this? If no one does what a waste of a possibility.

It doesn't matter because it won't be called National Geographic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Blazing Ownager posted:

I rarely say this but the day Rupert Murdoch finally loving dies will be a good day for the world.

I don't just say that because he screwed up a magazine, but because that man is a whirlwind of causing serious damage out of pure unfiltered greed.

He's going to become Mr. House from New Vegas and never die.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Spanish Manlove posted:

He's going to become Mr. House from New Vegas and never die.

No, this world is much worse. He'll die making GBS threads his pants in agony like most everyone and his money will pass to whatever shithead he spawned only for his next of kin to become even more terrible and directionless.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

EngineerSean posted:

It doesn't matter because it won't be called National Geographic.

True that. The real estate is what matters sometimes. Sigh. :(

Arkanomen posted:

No, this world is much worse. He'll die making GBS threads his pants in agony like most everyone and his money will pass to whatever shithead he spawned only for his next of kin to become even more terrible and directionless.

His fuckup son is already the nominal head of the empire. When Rupie croaks, it goes to him in spirit as well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

One of my photos is on the Nat Geo kids site which I felt very accomplished about. I'm very sad to be associated with that awful man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Lol if you think he hasn't created a brood of underlings that are just like him and will carry on his lovely legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Eagerly awaiting the rebranding as "Nat Geo"

• Locked thread