Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tales of Zesitira is the 15th main entry of the series (Take that, Final Fantasy...?), and the supposed 20th anniversary game for the series.

Let's get the point out of the way for Zestiria. If you want plot twists, betrayal, crazy stories...this is not the game to follow. This is a tale of Sorey and his very straight-forward quest to save the world. If you don't like relatively jokey characters and puns (the PUNS) in a no-fancy journey, turn away now.

The game has a lot of problems (mostly the camera, dear god the battle camera), but the characters are fun and you can do this:

Other Tales LP:
wdarkk's Tales of Symphonia LP
wdarkk's Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World LP
Dragonatrix's Tales of Phantasia LP
Admiral H. Curtiss's Tales of Vesperia LP
wdarkk's Tales of Graces f LP
wdarkk's Tales of Xillia LP

What's being covered?
The main story, at the very least. Probably sidequests along the way.

Spoilers?
Don't say any. You can maybe talk about stuff in the very near future in black bars, but jesus christ don't talk about things like 30 hours into the game. There's megathreads for that.

If I missed something, feel free to chime in. Probably missed something because RPGs are like that.

Anything else
I'm keeping some new game+ stuff just to cut down the work and grind I need to do. Mostly buying:
-Treausre Navigation (To get all the treasures without backtracking)
-Shop Levels (Keeps stuff cheap to buy)
-Lords of the Land levels (Will be explained)
-Carry over wind talismans (cause footspeed is good)
-Fashion Items (We gonna get silly ASAP)

Special thanks to this tumblerite (??) for the portrait rips: http://brilliantcataclysmrips.tumblr.com/

The Crew
Sorey

The protagonist. Loves exploring and archaeology. Happy go-lucky.

Sword user with a variety of elemental attacks, and general power character of the group.

Mikleo

Sorey's brother. Also a lover of archaeology. Serious, but understanding.

Staff user that uses Water Artes for long range attacks and healing. Basically a jack-of-all-trades type.

Chapter list:
Hometown
Discovery, Start of a Journey
Tutorial Barrage, Part 1
Suspicious Person, but who?
Mini-Update: Dress-up
Meet the Family
Nice to Meat You, Cause Pig Murder
The Real Start

Ladylake
We're on the Road to Ladylake! oh we're here

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Discovery, Start of a Journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKhKCfyB9lo

Over and over, as the world plunged into chaos, the legend to come to people's lips, and they would pray for salvation.

And lo, each time a Shepherd would appear to vanquish the darkness once more.

But with peace returned, it was never long before the Shepherds would vanish.

And as with all things, eventually they faded into legend.

And then a volcano blew up cause that's what evil is

Priest really freaked out

Can't tell if he's praying for the Shepherd or welcoming the new Dark Cloud overlords.

-MEANWHILE-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovspmdZ5wg

And here's our protagonist, Sorey the Sky Paw. Or not. Bird feather earrings are just a thing.

Controls for an xbox 360 controller, only possible to be seen on a PC since it's a ps3/ps4 console exclusive.

So Sorey's currently on some kind of ruin that's very high up in the air.

Menu's pretty clean. Lots of mechanics to talk about, but thankfully the game itself has their own...brand of tutorials that it will bombard you for the next couple of hours. Some helpful, some...assumes you can't breathe.

Difficulty is going to be on Moderate, which is the difficulty above Normal. That's the recommended level for people familiar with Tales games. I haven't really played a Tales game since Abyss, but Normal is way too easy in comparison.

Attack Input Time is basically how long the game will buffer to let you input the move. Normal is fine, Long is way too fimmicky if you want a move immediately.

Menu Shortcut lets you open the equipment or item menu with the right trigger. Handy for seeing what new items you have right away.

Rest of the options are self-explanatory.

For now, let's get to the star on the map. They're progression points and are can't-miss markers on the upper-left map.

Left trigger opens up the map, right stick changes the elevation visibility, and Y brings up what a marker means.

(Sorey stands amazed at an ancient wall picture.)

(He then busts out his book and reads it like a Playboy magazine.)

(Sorey celebrates his discovery)

And then immediately falls over.

Bout time I found it!

Mikleo!

This is Mikleo, Sorey's brother.

Heh heh!
This proves the Shepherds have been around since even before the Era of Asgard! I knew it!
Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. We still don't have definitive proof that this ruin itself is pre-Asgard.
It could be an imitation.

If you can't tell already, they're real big ancient ruin junkies.

(Mikleo notice a thunderstorm approaching.)

This...doesn't bode well.
Wait, isn't that-
I think our ruin adventure is over for today!

(Mikleo runs off.)

(Sorey is about to follow, but gets distracted by the Shepherd mural again)

Come on!

Scene 3

This way, hurry!

Now we have to follow Mikleo for 2 seconds, and

Ugh!

(Sorey quickly grabs him by the cape.)

Could I get a little help, please?

(The ground under Sorey collapses...again)

Welp. People said Zestiria was a short game.

Oh wait, they're still okay. Well, Mikleo is calm at least.

(Mikleo materializes a staff)

Surging Currents! Twin Flow!

Someone correct me on this, but I don't think jet-streaming water to bounce someone off and land in 3 inch water helped that much.

That didn't go quite how I planned it but not too shabby, am I right?
Guess that makes us even!

?

Mikleo turns his head towards where Sorey is staring at.

Who knew there'd be ruins underground?
Whoa, good thing we fell down here!
Right....
Hey, let's try and find a way out of here.

Now we're inside a mountain, apparently.

Here's a handy feature. Talking to your companion is basically a quest checklist. This includes sidequests as well, so there's no real rear end in a top hat secret quests like previous Tales game because of this. Whether that's a good thing or not if you love those things.

Better leave the investigating for another time. We need to find a way out of here.

Right bumper brings up your objective and your current location.

There's grass at the distance, which is our first stat herb. They fully restore HP and SC (Spirit Chain). They also permanently increase a stat, in this case HP. These herbs are incredibly plentiful in this game, as stats are not that important compared to gear.

Gear is...a whole other topic that'll probably get its own page.

Battle Actions menu brings up abilities that can activate during battle. Auto skills do what they say 5 times, but half your Grade (A currency for a later mechanic). If you're really bad at the game, the game will basically auto-dodge for you at a price.

Snipe Charge increase the effect of your next attack if you guard for 1+ second, so that might as well be active.

And here's the first save light. Keep in mind you can save anywhere via the pause button but the save light has other uses.

We'll explore deeper into the ruins next time.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 4, 2015

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Will you be taking input on costumes for characters to wear?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

OminousEdge posted:

Will you be taking input on costumes for characters to wear?

I will not wear one specific Sorey costume because the music associated with it is godawful. Other than that, eh probably.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
In terms of costumes, it's a Tales tradition for me to confront every Big Bad with my party in swimsuits. Because if we didn't have to save the world, we'd probably be partying on the beach.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Tae posted:

I will not wear one specific Sorey costume because the music associated with it is godawful. Other than that, eh probably.

Not sure which one that is, I only wore the second outfit he has and the alternate color one because those were the only good ones. But good to know you will probably be open to suggestions.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Digital Jello posted:

In terms of costumes, it's a Tales tradition for me to confront every Big Bad with my party in swimsuits. Because if we didn't have to save the world, we'd probably be partying on the beach.

This is the correct choice. You are a gelatin after my own heart.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Put shades on everyone and never take them off.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was thinking about getting this game, but don't have a PS4. Is the PS3 port worth it, or should I hold off until I can upgrade my console?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

I was thinking about getting this game, but don't have a PS4. Is the PS3 port worth it, or should I hold off until I can upgrade my console?

It's also on PC and the PC port is quite good if your computer's good enough. The PS3 version is the one everything is based off of too, so you shouldn't miss anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Bravo posted:

PS3 is the console development took place on, then Bamco USA begged Bamco Japan to port to PS4 and PC who shrugged and agreed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

J Detan posted:

The PS3 version is the one everything is based off of

ChaosArgate posted:

PS3 is the console development took place on

:yayclod:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Will you be posting something about how Geop secretly wrote all of a certain characters bad jokes?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tae posted:

You can press I want to say X Square to turn the custom music off on the costume screen. You can see the music note next to the costume turn off if you did it right. The option is shown in the costume menu.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tutorial Barrage, part 1

Alrighty, time to explore the ruins!

(Sorey exits out the door.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJtRn6_UyM

Whoah, oh man, what a drop!
It's been nothing but heights all day.
But I had an awesome bas-relief to distract me.

I looked this word up. Still have no idea what it means.

Yeah, I bet you did.

(Sorey notices something at a distance)

It looks like someone's lying there.

(The hand twitches)

Hey, Mikleo.
Hmm?
It's...It's a human.
It can't be!

So humans are apparently not standard around these parts. Not sure how Sorey could tell it's a human other than possibly not recognizing the person.

(Sorey walks to find a way down to the area)

We shouldn't involve ourselves with their kind!
She's still alive! We can't just leave her there!

Fine. I'll give what help I can.
Let's take a look around the area first.
Kay!

SPEAK TO ME

Playing the shining knight is all good and all, but you won't save anyone if you get yourself hurt, or worse.

Thanks, mom

Character Action Time! Remove spider webs and other fragile obstacles with the sword.

(One swipe later)

Ugh, my sword's all sticky!
Cobwebs everywhere. I'd bet no one has set foot in here for some time.

On the third web, we get ambushed by a spider for our first fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0BiqJ6ESE

Shh!

(A moment later)

There!

Quit gawking and get your sword ready!

Martial Artes are your basic attacks, different from Hidden Artes which we'll learn later. Basically just mash the attack button and you do a combo up to 4 times. You have to wait a bit to restart your combo, so it's important to time your attacks with the other party members to keep the chain going.

Semi-Auto means your character moves towards the enemy until it reaches the attack's range of effectiveness. Auto is obviously just letting the computer handle everything, and Manual lets you use attacks where ever, ignoring the range of effectiveness.

However, the spider isn't dead yet.

Wait, hold on. I can't be...a hellion?
A hellion? For real?
I've never seen one in person before.
What could a monster like a hellion be doing in a place like this?

(Spider jumps on the ceiling and retreats for now.)

Wait. Don't you remember what Gramps told us?
Huh?

FLASHBACK TIME

For gently caress's sake, white on white is the worst decision

Yup, Hellions. Horrible monsters that are created by the malevolence. They can only be defeated by the power of purification, which naught but a chosen few can use.

Hold on, Grandpa gotta refuel his lungs with pot

So if you ever cross paths with a hellion, just run as fast as you can. Remember you two; common folks like us don't stand a chance against those fiends!

FLASHBACK OVER

Then we should just be glad we escaped it.
And anyways, we have bigger problems.
Hmm?
We have to hurry and save that girl! Before something worse finds her!

So if you strike an enemy before combat starts, they lose about 5% of their HP, more if you hit their elemental weakness. There's no penalty for being attacked from behind, so feel free to mash the swing button.

Here's the post-battle stats. Grade is currency for something later, but generally beating the enemy fast and without using items will net you the majority of your points.

The "new" battle action is just Snipe Charge from earlier.

Yeah, and I doubt it it's the only one. We need to get out of here as quietly and quickly as we can.

This is Sorey's Martial Artes list. They're kinda like Super Smash Brothers controls as they are moves based on stick context. Same for Hidden Artes, though you can customize the controls on those.

Moving on past the spider webs, we get to our first treasure chest. Good time to show off the next menu option.

Support Talents are character-specific abilities that occur while you're traveling around, whether it's healing, spotting stuff, going faster, etc.

Sorey's supports are Snack Preparation, which basically make healing items, and Point of Interest Detection, which spots Monoliths and Discovery Points.

Mikleo's is also Snack Preparation, and Treasure Detection.

Currently, their detection skills are rear end and will barely spot chests/discovery points right in front of them. Eventually, it will level up enough to show things at a distance but it takes a long while to reach that.

Our first loot are some earrings, which are upgrades to what Sorey's currently wearing.

It's virtually identical except it has Atakk, which increases our...attack...by 4. That's all you need to know right now.

Monoliths are tutorial guides that teaches you both battle and system mechanics. These and Discovery Points give AP, which means you can equip more Battle Actions.

After a fight, another tutorial shows up

This is a small sample of the tutorials being a bit self-aware.

Apple Gels are the basic healing items, except they heal by percentage than a set number. Decent, but not encouraged to be used since Items are a heavy grade hit and the game basically gives every chance not to use them.

Sorey eventually gets to the same floor level as the girl, but with a bit of a gap between them. A save point here introduces our first Skit, which are scenes between character portraits ranging from plot importance to comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e08yyGCtln0
The Cause of Thunder
That human probably got caught up in all the lightning like we did.
More like the other way around. We have her to thank for all that crash-boom-bang.
That lightning...That was Gramps, wasn't it.
Yeah. It's a warning to invaders: Not one more step.
....Sorey, Gramps.
I can't just leave someone who needs help.
Heh...This is turning into an eventful day for once.

"We common folk can't stand against hellions!" *Can summon thunder at will* Riiiiight....

Mysterious Monolith
That was a cool monolith!
We've had quite a bounty of discoveries today.
If I'm not mistaken, that stone is a lot newer than the surrounding ruins.
Yeah, it's from a completely different age.
It read like advice of some sort.
Most likely it's a guidepost left by previous visitors to aid fellow travelers.
We we're not the only ones who go around investigating ruins!
Humans have terms for them. Things like "adventurer" or "explorer."
Explorers....

Sidenote, all the chests have spiders waiting above the ceiling. Not really harmful, just annoying.

Mostly just to force-feed you more tutorials.

Guarding also has other important properties we'll learn later, combined with battle actions.

Have I mentioned the camera sucks? Because it suuuuuuucks. It's only real bad next to walls, but that's a lot of places in the game.

Right bumper brings up enemy info on your current target. Very important to decide which attacks to use and which to avoid.

We get tips and comments from characters if we go into enemy details. Some helpful, some...not as helpful.

Strategy is deciding how the AI will go about in combat.

Action is what targets to attack. Tactics is their style (melee, balanced, range). Atk. Rate is how much SC to hold back. Def/Healing is what percentage of health to be a coward and heal.

Y button during battle and then using the right bumper brings up camera control to somewhat help with the issue.

Start lets you switch to a different character.

Okay, better.

Sidenote, you always get the Difficulty tutorial pop-up again here for whatever reason.

After picking up another Apple Gel, a nearby monolith tells us the virtues of blocking. Generally if you see grayish numbers, stop attacking because they also have super armor then.

Thanks, tutorial. I now know that if I die, I lose

Now we're going up the stairs to the other side of the ruin.

Quickstep is a huge important piece of defense and eventually offense. For our current situation, it allows us to "parry" if we quickstep right as the attack hits, which heavily nullifies damage and gain huge SC.

Quicksteps also count as a "combo," so you can skip parts of a combo chain by quickstepping. Useful if your beginning attack is something the enemy resists.

Goddamn, so much new stuff. Okay, so Free Run in my opinion is kinda useless because you can't regen SC while being in it. If you want to reposition yourself, it's just better to quickstep as you'll have more SC over time.

Mikleo's new gear refills HP and SC if an enemy is stunned. Handy, since Sorey has good stun moves.

E-unions! Basically if you have two of these symbols next to each other, you get bonus stuff depending on their location. Right now, Mikleo gets a 10% damage reduction from non-elemental damage.

Sorey learned Tiger Blade, a good move that increases his attack. If the enemy doesn't resist it or have an obvious elemental weakness, it's a good way to start battles.

The game drowns you in tutorials.

So here's the easy breakdown: Equipment has stats and slot abilities that give different bonuses. The bonuses then go on a grid which determines if you get bonus bonuses.

The last one is obviously the most powerful, as it can give absurdly useful effects like +20 to all stats or 7% HP recovery per quickstep.

You got all that? Good, because I didn't and beat the game by just slapping the best number gear on Hard. It's really just a min-max thing that's for those people.

Titles give different bonuses, but the most important aspect is that they determine what move you learn next. For example, Sword Harrier/Sword Danseur has Shatterfang as the next move, but Wielder of the Mystic Sword has Freezing Strike instead.

Level up titles, you gain more bonuses. Simple.

And that's it for now. And if you think we're almost done with tutorials...

Hahahahahahahahhaahaha

:argh:

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 6, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ohhhhhh, so hitting LMB without a direction is how you get the top row Martial Arts. I'm level 40 and I still hadn't figured out how to do that (and I was just told about the quickstep-counts-as-a-combo thing this morning too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Suspicious Person, but who?

Onward into the ruin, another star mark for progression!

Scene 1

It's a glove of some sorts in the chest.

What's this?

And then mommy Mikleo snatches it away.

I'll be taking this. If you get too hung up on fiddling with it, we'll never get out of here.
I'll give it back once we've returned safely.
Ah hah hah! If you say so.

So close, and yet so far!
Think we could jump?
Only one way to find out.

(Sorey checks out the edge of the wall)

Scene 2
Well?
Heh heh...Okay, maybe not.

(The edge seemed to almost crumble). Better not risk it a third time, Sorey.

Hey, watch out!
Don't scare me like that!
Sorry about that.
Well, we definitely can't make it from here.
There should be a connecting point somewhere.
Let's go back and see what we can find.

Before we get back to the lower floor, let's check out the chest and monument.

Standard revival from KO.

Basically don't go all out if you want a more consistent string of attacks. Of course, there are ways to recharge it faster via blocking that it makes it negligible but we currently can't do that.

Now we're at the same gap between us and the girl, but now there's that pile of dirt from the edge Sorey stepped on. Floating there....

Scene 3
I see. So that's the deal.
Hmm?
What? Haven't figured it out?
Y-Yeah I have!

Top option has Mikleo calling us a dumb rear end, but Sorey's the big brother goddamnit so he'll take charge with the bottom option (I have no idea if he's the big brother)

Or, that an invisible bridge would be here.
Think it could support a person?
Well well, aren't you sharp today.
Heh heh!
For a change.
Pfft!

You smartmouth :argh:

Mikleo freezes the bridge to make it visible for us. It also gives us a Discovery Point, which are skits+AP.

An Incredible Bridge

I think this is beyond the capabilities of human technology.
So like, the bridge alone might date from the Era of the Gods?
Possibly. But either way....
They definitely had assistance, whether from seraphim like me or someone else.
They really didn't want anyone to reach the other side.
The path ahead leads to Elysia. It stands to reason that they'd do what they can to protect the Pureland.
In the past, any pilgrims who showed up at the shrine probably thought the gap was simply uncrossable.
Same as we did until just minutes ago.
But good job picking up on that. Your intuition is always impressive.
Oh yeah?
For its rarity.

If Sorey isn't going to smack his brother, I will at this rate

(Sorey approaches the girl)

Scene 4

(Sorey picks up her lance on the side)

Maybe we should rethink this. (Sorey ignores him) Hey!

Uh...Are you all right?

I was...I was in a forest, and then....

(The girl panics and frantically searches for her lance).

(She takes the lance and his help getting up)

(The girl didn't notice)

Now it's clarified that Mikleo is a ghost, or at the very least a non-visible entity to humans. But Sorey is a human. Hmm.

Yeah.

Glad you're okay.
I'm sorry to have troubled you. And you are?

(Long pause)

Your name.
Oh!
Right! My name! I'm Sorey.
Sorey?
Yep! Nice to meet you!
Well met. Is there anywhere one could rest around here? I'll need to make plans to get back to the capital.
You're from the city?
Well?
Um...Hmm.

Sorey! Are you nuts?!
Are you sure that wouldn't be a problem? You barely know me.
I can't just abandon someone in need. That's all!

This is Sorey's first encounter with a human, a girl even, and Mikleo's already cockblocking

Aren't you going to ask my name? Are you sure?
Everyone has their reasons. But you don't look like a bad person to me.

I cannot possibly thank you enough, Sorey.
*Sighs* Gramps is gonna let us have it when we get back.
I know.

Nah. Don't worry about it.
Anyway, that's the way out. Let's get moving!

So mysterious girl isn't technically part of our party yet, just a tag-a-long for now.

Mikleo giving advice to stop responding to him, since she can't see ghost people.

If you try go go to the left/right paths, it leads to a lower floor level which is a dead end.

So let's just continue up the middle, up the stairs, and out of the ruins.

I don't want to have to remind you, but keep your eyes on the girl.
Kay. But too bad we didn't meet in better circumstances.
*Sighs* You really don't have a skeptical bone in your body.

Scene 5

FREEDOM

Wow, it's beautiful! Like a shrine out of myth...I half expect to see seraphim wandering around.
You really do call them "seraphim"!
Is that funny to you?
Nope!
"Things which cannot be seen or explained, such as gods, spirits, or supernatural phenomena, are revered by the people as "seraphim."
Right?
A quote from the Celestial Record?

(Sorey pulls out his book)

You've read it too?!
Yup! Wait, you as well?
I used to read it all the time when I was a kid!

(Mikleo elbows Sorey to move on)

Agh!
It's a little ways from here to my village. Let's get moving!
Okay!

So seraphim (all these terms are lowercase, weirdly) are magical invisible people that humans can't see, except Sorey is a human. That's it so far.

So, uh, is the Celestial Record a children's book?
Hmm?
Well, I mean, you said you read it when you were a kid.
Plenty of adults read it too. I was probably just mature for my age.
Oh yeah? Huh.
Well, figures. I mean, it is an amazing book.
Yes.
Well, looks like someone's enjoying himself.

So it's not Camlann, but Elysia then.
Then the rumors were false after all.

What do you mean, "creatures"? They're goats.
Goats? Are they usually this big?

The Elysian Goat
Such robust horns...Just like the dragons of legend.
Hahaha! What, like in fairy tales? You're something else.
Don't go near it! There's no telling how dangerous untamed beasts like those are.
Aw, don't worry, we're friends! Uh, well mostly. They did kick me four or five times when I was little.
You're...friends?
Yup! Sometimes they give me milk, and I make cheese and yogurt with everyone.
The mark of true friendship.
Yeah, it's the best!

Next time, we arrive at Sorey's village.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
"They gave me food" "They must be true friends!"

I am getting a distinct vibe of Lloyd here... But from who!?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So, where is this brother thing established? Because that's either some parentage shenanigans going on to have Sorey be visible and Mikleo not, or they're not actually brothers in the first place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I think Ghost Bro has sold me more on this game than anything else.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lotish posted:

I'm definitely appreciating his sass.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Vil posted:

I'm definitely appreciating his sass.

Oh boy. If you like sass, you're in for a REAL treat later. :allears:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh boy. If you like sass, you're in for a REAL treat later. :allears:

Indeed. This level of sass is weak compared to what comes later.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lotish posted:

Ghost Bro is the best character. He's quite fun to play as, too.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I've only played the game briefly myself, but Mikleo is, in fact, pretty fun. I wish his voice actor was a bit better though, since all his sass comes across very flat when you're actually listening to it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Wait, he can see invisible magic people, but dismisses dragons as fairy tales?

Sorey, you really need to reexamine your life.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That said, there are performance issues in the PS3 version, which I believe was one of the major complains upon the initial release in Japan, where the game is only available on PS3.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Motto posted:

That said, there are performance issues in the PS3 version, which I believe was one of the major complains upon the initial release in Japan, where the game is only available on PS3.

:negative:

HeyYou
Feb 19, 2015
I was immediately sold on this game when I heard that Go Shiina (the man responsible for Tales of Legendia's soundtrack) was composing for it. :swoon:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mini-Update: Dress-up

Basics of fashion. It's the option with the goofy glasses/pipe icon.

You have 3 slots for attachments, a hair style, and your base clothing.

You got choices like being a schoolboy, beachwear, and a Yuri of Vesperia costume (I'm told this is tradition). Most of the outfits change the battle theme that you can switch out using the left trigger button.

Hair is basically if you want spikey sorey or flat, neatly trimmed.

Attachments vary from glasses, hats, expressions, and dolls that attach to the body. You can have up to 3 attachments, but they're limited by the "3 slot value," meaning for example you can't have a Mini-Millia and Mini-Lloyd because they cost 2 each.

Attachments also have options for placement, their size, and their rotation. So Yuri here....

Can be floating by Sorey as a giant purple thing.

Or around his crotch, if that's your thing.

Yuri is everywhere. Watching.

Expressions are also a thing, so Sorey can be made into a Metal Gear guard. Unfortunately it takes up 2 slot values, so the wackiness is limited.

Mikleo is showing things how it's done.

And that's basically it for fashion. I'll probably rotate items every couple of updates or so. Not like there isn't enough game to show every attachment off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sorey rocking the highwaters.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Two fashion points for an exclamation mark. That's pretty rough. Are there any attachments that cost all three of your available slots?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Two fashion points for an exclamation mark. That's pretty rough. Are there any attachments that cost all three of your available slots?

The max is 2, and those are usually attachment dolls or DLC stuff. Other than that, the slot values are all over the place.

These take up 1.5 slots, despite similar or bigger attachments like hats or sunglasses taking up only 1 slot.

Like this mask only costs 1. It's weird. I don't know why a monocle takes up half of your available foolishness.

The only .5 slot value are the hanging hair pieces.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Actually, another question, while we're at it, you showed off the omnipresent nature of the Yuri doll, but does that mean that you can put anything anywhere on your character's model? How crazy does this get?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Actually, another question, while we're at it, you showed off the omnipresent nature of the Yuri doll, but does that mean that you can put anything anywhere on your character's model? How crazy does this get?

There's the Position option I showed, but also an X/Y/Z placement in the menu that lets you change the size/color/rotation of the attachment. So basically you can place an attachment anywhere on the body in whatever size if you nudge it enough.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Blastinus posted:

At least one goon played the game with a sword sticking through Sorey's head that was as long as he is tall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

At least one goon played the game with a sword sticking through Sorey's head that was as long as he is tall.

Do it. Doooooo it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well this seems pretty decent so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Another update on this page might be pushing it, so here's a sample of what's coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Style so strong it can hold a sword.

• Locked thread