Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Great thread idea. I was never in the military but for some reason I love seeing what's in those MREs and the various ways to prepare stuff, what different countries consider essential etc. A while ago I came across a youtube channel by a guy who reviews MREs from around the world, would I be stepping on your toes if I posted that as a supplement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Go right ahead!
There are quite a few accounts actually, but this one seems to be the most popular. Here's one of his I particularly like: stumbling through a German ration without speaking a word of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeCkAgEvL4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Great. I got hooked by his mangling of Rindfleischschinkenwurst and now I've been watching his videos on my second monitor the whole evening.
That's how he gets you.

Somehow in every video I watched, no matter what condition the ration is in, the chocolate is always a mess.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Have they posted since then? :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

and will throw up something quick for that
that bad, huh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

This kind of scares me, as it tasted almost exactly like butter.
Would you say you can't believe it isn't?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Did not expect to see these guys in this thread. They're all over the organic food stores around here, and they're actually quite expensive, although part of that is probably the usual "organic" markup. The Spicy Lime flavour is pretty good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Army manuals have instructions on how to fart silently, you can't be too careful.
Makes sense, the deadlier the better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I vaguely remember reading that the plumpy nut producers specifically avoid making the stuff commercially available, and I theorize that this might be because they're specifically for emergency relief and extremely cheap and the last thing people who rely on them need is that tasting it becomes a trend on youtube and folks in the first world buy them in bulk, because they really do need every single one that's made. But that really is pure conjecture on my part.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it has much commercial appeal. It's basically a medical product and not really made with an eye on its suitability as a snack, but rather calorie and nutrient density. And in the end, it's probably not different enough from peanut butter to sustain itself as a product.

After looking into it some more, the company that makes it also wants local producers to be able to build distribution networks on it, rather than grant licenses to industry giants who'd use their existing infrastructure to put the locals out of business. Patent runs out this year though, so who knows, we might actually get some knockoffs.

e: there did apparently used to be a charity where you'd sign up to get a few sachets and could document your experience with it, the idea being that you'd raise money for further famine relief not unlike the ice bucket challenge, but that website seems to have disappeared long ago.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 23, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

roo vide

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Please don't eat food that is older than you, we are not experiencing a post apocalyptic life.
eh, might as well get some practice in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

and how does he stay perfectly quiet when he's on sniper duty?
I'm getting the image of a Metal Gear Solid game where during the sniper boss fight you have to equip the thermal goggles and look for the plume.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Destroy the supply shed and drop a beans ration in its place.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I met some pirate reenactors at a party once that mixed us drinks made of rum, raw cocoa, black pepper and probably one or two other things. They made a big thing of how spicy and nasty it was and, without meaning to boast, me and a friend just looked at each other and downed ours without blinking. Nasty was about the right word, though. Now that I think about it, that sounds less like a drink and more of a voodoo ingredient. Possibly I'm now a zombie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lladre posted:

A plate of "little fish" is awesome. But my wife is off put by their teeny little eyes staring at you as you gobble them down whole.

These are great, had them with a friend once and he ate a few then said "I feel like Satan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlN4Sh06po&t=187s

(3:07 to around 4:30)

• Locked thread