Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm sure that the Eastern Europeans would rather take their dodgy canned meat over the strange food-substitute product being sold by an insane American who doesn't poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

France has a pretty active army too, I wonder what they think of these rations when they're out on the field.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the normal joke is tree bark.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Emergency foodstuffs are also unhealthy from a normal foodstuff perspective. They're supposed to deliver a lot of calories fast, which is great if you're starving, but bad if you're living a normal life and eating normal meals on the side, because you'll get fat.

As for the advantages they could get from commercial sales, charitable organizations tend to be very wary of normal commercial business practices. They don't want to go down a slippery slope into becoming a plain old business, or even worse, be perceived by potential donors as doing such..

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

Horse is delicious and am a bit surprised when British people went up in arms over Horsegate.

It's mostly mislabeling that puts people on edge. If I bought a tub of Crisco and I opened it up and found it full of delicious ice cream, I'd definitely be put off edge. There were also concerns because the horses that had been butchered weren't raised for their meat, they were workhorses that had recently been taken off of the streets of Romania and had various drugs in them that might've been unsafe for human consumption.

Other than that, a lot of people these days have a lot of weird hangups about eating various meats because they're so far removed from animals that their main image of them are cuddly little cartoon critters or treasured pets.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trying to make an inedible thing edible is just a matter of trying hard enough, but what I want to know is how could people possibly have kept trying to eat deadly poisonous things like fugu.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's not a bug, it's a feature so that you can eat the rice like a granola bar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He actually screwed up and got gizzard instead of liver.

Very different organ.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Next time, tell 'em fake crabmeat is not only yummy but also super-healthy: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

If fake crabmeat is so good, it should just sell itself as whatever it is instead of pretending it's crab.

I don't want my lunch to be a house of lies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a very weird point in American culinary history where everything was all about canned goods for some reason. Some kind of combination of fresh foods unavailable and blind futurism thinking that the foods with all this new technology put into preserving them were better.

I didn't know that coleslaw was supposed to be savory though, but I guess I never eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fondue was basically an invention to salvage Switzerland's cheese industry after tyrannical mismanagement by the Swiss Cheese Union left them with a massive glut in the market for the only three varieties of cheeses they allowed. One of those triumphs of modern marketing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/10/355177578/episode-575-the-fondue-conspiracy

• Locked thread