Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It's a year early, but Harry Giles, projected #1 in 2017, tore his ACL.

But the really bad news is that he committed to Duke this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Duke v Kentucky tonight. Good opportunity to see Labisierre, Jamal Murray, and Bransan Ingram.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

If you have a superlative prospect, they are often able to shore up their shooting or if they can't then they can compensate in other areas.

He's "matched up" against Denzel Valentine tomorrow so that's a good opportunity to see him play if anyone's missed it. He's been phenomenal but he doesn't have a ton of range

Valentine is awesome. He was shooting the poo poo with Draymond Green courtside while he was hitting all those threes the other night.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ross Angeles posted:

Ben Simmons is ok at basketball

43 points
15-20 FG
14 rebounds
7 assists
5 steals
3 blocks

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ingram was impressive last night v Indiana. 24 pts and 6 rbs, shot 10/15 including 4/6 from 3. Handled the ball very well, only 2 TOs in 30+ minutes.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

DX just updated their mock. Simmons, Ingram, Labisierre, Bender, Brown, Dunn, Murray as #1-#7.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Bender is ridiculously good, at least against Euro guys.

And he just turned 18.

edit: there's a nice batch of guys at PG and SG who'll probably be available between 10-30. Demetrius Jackson, Wade Baldwin, Monte Morris, Levert, Newman, Korkmaz, etc.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Is a like 6'2" shooting guard who is pretty old for a draft pick.

He's listed at 6'4" with a 6'8.5" wingspan by DX so not terrible size and Valentine, Demetrius Jackson, and Dunn are all relatively old too.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Those guys are mostly point guards and Valentine is probably like a mid first rounder too

Ah, I thought he was a PG/SG which there are a plethora of this year.

Yeah I think they'll all go #10-#35 unless someone goes crazy in the tournament and does well at the combine.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Hand Row posted:

Bucks are going to win the lottery and have a full positionless lineup.

It would be real nice if instead they could plug Dunn into that lineup.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Hows the international list looking? Bender is the only one Ive heard of.

Pretty meh. Korkmaz and Luwawu might go in the first and there's Sabonis and the kid at Kansas.

I'm forgetting someone though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

@franfraschilla

Impressed with improvement of Utes' Jakob Poeltl from foul line. Shot 43% last year. 13-16 tonight & over 70%. He'll go 5-10 in NBA draft.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Hows the international list looking? Bender is the only one Ive heard of.

Going back to this question, Givony thinks it'll be a strong draft for internationals.

quote:

Jonathan Givony @Draftexpress
Repeating my stance from earlier. This will be a banner year for int'l draft prospects. I could see 10 guys going first round. Maybe more...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Is that strength of the intl class or weakness of the college players? Dragon Bender is the only guy I've heard of with all-star potential.

That's a good point; mile wide and an inch deep.

Also, he has to be counting guys like Simmons, Labissierre, Murray, and Sabonis as internationals right? Because in terms of "real" internationals, Bender, Luwawu, and Korkmaz really are the only guys solidly in the first round.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Frank Ntilikina is the new international rocketing up the 2017 boards. Played well in the Basketball Without Borders tourney. From Givony's DX writeup:

quote:

Outlook: Incredibly mature 17-year old. Carries himself like a pro. Arguably the top prospect at the entire camp in terms of physical tools, current production and long-term upside. Continues to improve every time we see him. Seeing a handful of minutes at the highest levels of European basketball with Strasbourg as a third string PG.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

I want Oregon State's Trés Tinkle to make the NBA so loving bad. poo poo even if it's just on a ten-day contract.

I already know the sound effect the arena audio guys will use after he hits a three.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Caris Levert out for the season again.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Duke wins their first round game; Ingram+Allen put up decent numbers, 20/9/3 and 23/10/5 respectively.

edit: also, new reports that Bender has an NBA out clause each summer for the entirety of his deal.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 17, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I can't look at Grayson Allen anymore without seeing Ted Cruz.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

MourningView,

Where do you see DeAndre Bembry out of St.Joes going in June? Selfishly, I would love for him to stay in school one more year but I'm not sure how much higher his stock could get. DraftExpress has him as their #35 prospect.

He would be in the first round if he could shoot, but he can't. At all.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

"Buddy" Hield should go by his real first name: Chavano

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Did he hire an agent? Because otherwise he is doing what literally every player should do

He hired an agency that has a history of sending players overseas.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

If the Sixers get the Lakers pick at 4, I think it'd be a pretty wise move for them to get Buddy. Heck, draft him even if they get poo poo luck and fall to 4 themselves. But he'd also probably be the most veteran player on the team.

He seems like he'd be a waste on the Celtics as (even if Evan Turner leaves) they seem to have a logjam in their backcourt. Depending on how well they finish the tourney, I bet he'll at least earn the privilege to workout with most of the top 5 pick teams.

#4 is their statistically most likely pick IIRC, closely followed by #1+#4.

Hield, Murray, or Dunn would all be good picks for the Sixers at that spot. I also wouldn't put it past Hinkie to draft Hield then move him for Dunn/Murray+assets.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

In a vacuum Murray but if you desperately need a point guard then Dunn

Pretty much this.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Thon Maker attempting to go straight to the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

He is, but they were close enough in head to head that I'm not like "wow that guy needs to go 50 spots ahead of Kaleb."

--

Simmons is interesting in that I could see him very easily going #1 or #3 depending on how the draft order pans out. I'm not positive the Sixers will pick him at #2 even if Ingram goes to whoever gets #1.

They'll pick him, but a trade wouldn't be out of the question.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what they actually results in.

No one is whining except for the people throwing tantrums about the terrible, terrible crime of half a dozen videos being posted over the course of a year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Draft just got a bit more interesting. Bender has told Maccabi that he's not coming back.

David Pick – ‏@IAmDPick

NBA buyout to free Dragan Bender, source said, over $1 million. He is done with Europe, not a draft-and-stash.

7:12 AM - 6 Apr 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

2017 draft news, but Omer Faruk Yurtseven committed to NC State today.

He's one of the best young bigman international prospects right now and will probably be a top 10 pick next year; he dropped 91 and 28 in a U18 game yesterday.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

#1 pick and I didn't get arrested or burn anything down.

https://twitter.com/SpikeEskin/status/732739809731547137?s=09

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Lamar Odom seems like the best Simmons comparison to me.

Odom was a much much better shooter than Simmons, but some form of a Odom/Rondo/Diaw hybrid probably is the best comparison.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Nooner posted:

heh what if the guy went up and was all like

"We are drafting ......... DEEZE NUTS!!!" lol could you imagine??

Why would Dwight Howard be announcing draft picks?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Boston would literally never ever do this so you're in luck.

Philly never would either. Considering the mandates coming from the front office, the last things they need are an incredibly raw 18 year old 7 footer + a point guard who's not a great distributor and just had one of the worst shooting seasons of all time.

Boston's best bet may be to trade down if teams like Orlando and Phoenix are in love with Bender.

#3 + #23 and a few second rounders for for #11 + Hezonja and they take Valentine with the #11.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Libertine posted:

I just hope the best available player at the slot the 76ers draft is a power forward for the next 11 years.

I'll take Harry Giles in 2017 if you're forcing him on me :)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Siguy posted:

That all makes sense.

I've already seen posts by Lakers fans saying they want Ingram because they'll have to trade Randle if they get Simmons, which feels like a silly way to decide on potential superstars.

Other things that I've observed on r/Lakers and r/Boston Celtics:

- The Sixers will obviously pass on Simmons.
- If the Sixers do not, then Simmons will force his way to L.A.
-Terry Rozier is the key to acquiring Jahlil Okafor.
-Jared Sullinger has a similar value to the #3 pick.

Draft season brings out a lot of strangeness.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

Is there an source to the Simmons forcing his way to LA rumor? I've read and heard people talking about it, but I haven't seen any sports journalists talking about it.

Nothing reputable or rational. A lot of these rumors are local sports media, especially sports radio guys, making up stuff for ratings; e.g. the hot rumor in Boston this morning was that the Sixers were desperate to trade down to the #3 spot because they need a PG and would take Kris Dunn.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

That's good to know. I just hope when/if the Sixers take him, his reaction is a even slightly positive in comparison to Embiid's or Okafor's draft reactions.

Lol. Embiid was on tape delay and the camera view of Okafor 'dropping the jersey on the floor' cut out the table he was putting it on.

edit: and yeah it'll be fine. BB coached his father in Australia so there's a pretty strong family connect to the organization.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Hand Row posted:

Two lottery picks in that draft and neither have played a minute.

Good thing that's about to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I still think the Okafor/24/26 for Boston's 3/16/23/31 is preferrable to anything Phoenix would offer as Bender probably is the only asset in this draft that people would trade up for other than Simmons/Ingram.

edit:

euphronius posted:

I have seen no rumors PHO is interested in Okafor.

Yeah I think they want to spend another year on Len, who can be a really good center when he's healthy.

• Locked thread