Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well since my vain hope that the lakers might get 30 wins is already out the window, lets hope that Ben Simmons was right and that he ends up on the Lakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

triple sulk posted:

Same OP. Also Dragan Bender is the coolest name ever.

Diamond Stone :colbert:

Seriously, that name is straight out of the ABA

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

One day the Mavs will have a good first round pick and these threads will be a lot cooler. One day.

Trust me, its not

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Ranking recruits is way less precise than projecting draft picks. I mean, Towns was the #9 ranked guy according to ESPN. Cliff Alexander was #3, and he is bouncing around the D-League, and these were ranking based on how they played as senior in highschool. You can't accurately project 3+ years into the future well

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Jim Buss is still does a lot of collegiate scouting, and paraphrasing an interview with him during Monday's Thunder game, he did think the Lakers would probably be able to get a contributor at 32, worst case scenario. He is apparently responsible for a lot of the gems the Lakers manage to pluck out of round 2 so who knows.

Him and West the Younger seem to have developed a good eye for talent in recent years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

Remember when they were a trendy playoff pick at the start of the year?

Man, a lot of teams flamed out this year: Knicks, Bucks, Wizards, Bulls, Rockets, Kings, Pelicans, Suns

Going into this season, you could have said all of those teams would make the playoffs and no one would bat an eye

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

well Zach, we haven't been given enough information about the relative value of the bat and the ball to ascertain which one costs more. However, we do know that one of the items costs a dollar and the other costs 10 cents. Is this a plastic bat? What material is the ball made out of?

Trap sprung

Its $0.05 and $1.05

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

Correct

There was a 1.9% chance of that happening

Technically, it was the most likely single outcome (ie, more likely than other single ordering), but yeah, the odds are low as hell

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Now comes the part where I try to have strong opinions on players without posting something that can be made fun of in a year. Oh man the dumb poo poo I wanted to post about Russell last summer before the draft that I stopped myself from doing . . .

Marcus Smart hasn't made me eat my words yet, luckily.

:justpost:

Seriously, this place is less fun when people keep their dumb (sports related) opinions to themselves

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Lamar Odom?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wouldn't be shocked if Ben Simmons does best as a small ball center, at least initially.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

iamsosmrt posted:

You're saying if the Lakers get him, I'm guessing. On the Sixers, he'd probably be a tall ball pg.

I mean, he obviously wouldn't get the chance to play center on the 76ers, but in a vacuum I think it would work best for him. His inability to shoot would less important, and his speed in the P&R (as both the ball handler and the roller) would be emphasized. I think he is big enough to do it, and is a good enough rebounder to get away with it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

My biggest issue with the discourse around Simmons is that, sure, there are some flaws, but that's all anyone wants to talk about when he's the only forward in this draft who currently has elite NBA skills. He's coming into the draft as a 19 year old who is currently at the same stage of development as someone like Giannis. There's no one else in this draft that combines his level of athleticism and polish in the things he CAN do.

Its the Andrew Wiggins thing. We've had so long to look at his faults, and have people look cool by going against the grain that people take it to heart. People were doing this exact same thing with Wiggins and Jabari before the draft.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It was a risky trade, mainly because I thought they were getting rid of important trade pieces to try to get Dwight.

Despite how badly it went in the end, that Dwight Howard trade was one hell of a steal, way more than the Gasol trade.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

iamsosmrt posted:

Is there an source to the Simmons forcing his way to LA rumor? I've read and heard people talking about it, but I haven't seen any sports journalists talking about it.

Niothing reputable, but he has been wearing Lakers gear all year, and tweeting about wanting to be a Laker. He clearly wants to be in LA, but I doubt it is enough to make him pull some poo poo against the 76ers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Also there are strongly sourced rumors that the Sixers ownership did not want Porzingis.

Also jfc the gap between Porzingis and Okafor is not that great. It's not ridiculous to take okafor first.

Honestly it would have been seen as an insane gamble if they took Porzingis over Okafor. A lot of people liked him, but he was still a pretty big unknown to most people. It took a until the start of the season before the average New Yorkers realized that he wasn't Darko, and started hailing him as the second coming of jesus

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

UPSIDE or something

These are the same people who thought Robert Upshaw was going to be an All Star and were furious when he didn't make the team.

And then were convinced the Lakers were playing 11th dimensional chess when he wasn't getting much playing time in the D-League

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Everyone in this dang draft is fatally flawed in one way or another. Of the non top-o lottery guys last year, I really liked Norman Powell, because he had the body, the athleticism, and showed he was learning to play. I liked Jordan Mickey for the crafty scoring, Portis for the midrange game and facial expressions, Devin Booker for being the youngest guy in the draft and being able to get to the rim when he was closed out on, and Justin Anderson for the body, the athleticism, and the defense. Pretty good. And it wasn't like I was unique in saying those guys had potential to be decent players, except for Norman, maybe.

This year, I don't know. There are a lot of pf/centers who look like they could be solid backup bigs, but aside from Deyonta Davis I don't really know which ones will and which won't, maybe Cheick Diallo if he gets to run. Every single player outside the top 5 has glaring flaws. It doesn't seem like anyone is too entranced by any of these guys, with the exception of Dejounte Murray.

Patrick McCaw could be Corey Brewer with a jumper, but it seems like really skinny players need to find just the right circumstance to flourish. Thon Maker could be a unique and valuable player, but I don't know, I don't even have a feeling.

Maybe Luwawu is the exception. He'd have to be really bad on offense to not make at least some impact.

Wade Baldwin reminds me a bit of otto porter in that he has a mutant body and is weird positionally, he also has the potential to look really good in precisely the right context, and bleh otherwise. If Reggie Jackson can in the top third of NBA pgs with his terrible awful finishing, there's no reason Wade couldn't be alright. But he shouldn't be this bad. It doesn't make sense. His disinterest in defense is also disappointing.

Do any of you have a special feeling about a player from 10 or lower?

I'm in the camp that thinks Thon Maker will be good if he goes to the right kind of team

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

quote:

I wonder if NOLA would entertain trading the #6 pick for Lou Williams and a future pick. Dell is on the hot seat, they need to make the playoffs, and their bench is thin. If the perception is this is a weak draft and the older senior guys like Dunn and Hield are off the board, I can see them going for the vet/bench scoring from Lou over trying to develop whoever is around at the sixth pick.

Lakers forums are so dumb, he has people agreeing with on this like its some insightful poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
God, the Nets still don't have their first round pick for the next two years

Celtics right to swap 2017
Celtics get the pick outright 2018

Man, 4 unprotected first round picks for the corpses of KG and Pierce

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Tonight is gonna be pretty crazy because no one has a clue how 3-60 will play out

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

xbilkis posted:

:siren: Chad Ford's last mock draft has Thon Maker going #10 :siren:

I love this draft

Though, I'll love it a lot more if Maker falls to 32

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
:siren: Weak Wrists :siren:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Libertine posted:

I wish this was covered by any other network than ESPN. Jesus. Like give me a few random hosts from Home Shopping Network or something.

Just watch the Yahoo stream with the rest of us:

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/nba-live-draft-show-170000994.html

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Probably Magic posted:

As the most casual of NBA fans these days, has Bruno "two years away from two years away" Caboclo played yet.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cabocbr01.html
13 points total over the last 2 years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

He's not a reporter, he's a mouthpiece of front office people and agents who straight up lies if his people ask him to.

Still better than making things up so your network can discuss them for the rest of the week, like most of ESPN. You have one guy write an article about a trade rumor, and then you can talk about it on all your shows.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Noel and picks to Boston

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 57s57 seconds ago

ESPN sources say Philadelphia is offering Nerlens Noel, No. 24 and No. 26 in tonight's draft and Robert Covington for Boston's No. 3 pick

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pungry posted:

Ingram looks bored in every shot of him

Rebirth of T-Mac

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Crazy Ted posted:

Why are all the ESPN guys thinking the Lakers are going to trade Russell :iiam:

Lakers rumors drive a lot hits

Or maybe they just don't like guys who rats out cheaters

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
:lol: no one wanted #3

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gordong Dongbay posted:

The Suns drafted Dr. Who

:lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Crazy Ted posted:

Am I smart in having an irrational hatred of Fran Frischilla?

Yes, but its not irrational

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/746131430451855362

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Holy gently caress, just saw the Thunder trade

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The gently caress is going on in this draft, glad the Lakers picked before the chaos started

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Who the hell?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Niwrad posted:

That Celtics fan yelling "who is that guy?" :lol:

I need that gif badly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lessail posted:

Guys it happy to report I'm the next pick in the draft

Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Remember how everyone was blowing Ainge about always getting his way in trade and stuff

:lol:

• Locked thread