Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

chunkles posted:

This guy looks pretty interesting: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zhou-Qi-61857/

Been a while since anyone dared to draft a Chinese player.

However, he's 7 foot 2 and loving 209 pounds. I'd figure the CBA would be a pretty good place to use steroids, get on it CBA trainers.

He also blocks shots which is good to see. I'm always a bit leery of guys who are 7 feet or more who can't block shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you guys tell me about Jamal Murray? I realize NBAdraft.net is hardly something to go on but they have Toronto drafting him with the Knicks/Nuggets pick, just curious if that would actually be a good use of the pick or if they should pursue moving up somehow. Also, how deep do you expect the class to be in particular?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know people hate comparisons because it's kinda lazy, but does Jamal Murray compare to anybody specifically in the NBA?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Billups is who I have heard the most.

Interesting. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for him to find a good situation for himself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Yeah. Reggie Evans managed to grind out a reasonably long NBA career with rebounding and hustling as pretty much literally his only NBA level skills. That's not a perfect comparison because Sabonis is more well rounded and not as good a rebounder at the college level, but I think he can find a niche in a similar way. Having the same last name as one of the greatest players of all time probably helps in terms of people giving you a chance too.

Is Sabonis that bad in terms of scoring ability?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this draft deep enough that Toronto should keep both their picks if they're shut out of the top 3?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

I'm not convinced that late-lottery guys will be much different than early second rounders this year. There's some interesting guys, but not a lot of starter talent.

So if somebody offers a quality starter for Pat Patterson, both firsts, and cap filler, Toronto should go for it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would it be all that wild if Toronto picked baby Sabonis?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here's the Vertical's mock

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/version-iii--the-vertical-s-2016-nba-mock-draft-235113108.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

It seems to me that Deyonta Davis kinda sucks, how hard would people laugh if Toronto DID pick him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Sullinger's back issues weren't so prevalent, wouldn't that basically be true? I know that's a big "if", but I'm curious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Even if Embiid plays I can't imagine him being as good as Robinson, or even particularly close. Is he ready to go for playing next year yet?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

On less than 50 attempts though. I have no idea how scouts do their jobs, projecting gawky young euro guys seems impossible. I streamed a little euroleague in the afternoons and saw 2 of his games. When his man is tight on him at the perimeter, he starts his dribble moves by turning 45 or 90 degrees and dribbling laterally from the defender, somehow this works, and then he gets a layup. Most of his interior scoring is based on craftiness and length, he's a good ball handler once he's on the move, he can work up speed but seems to have a slow first few steps, I don't know how many spins and cradles he'll be able to use against NBA length and agility.

His three point shooting seems to be real, but always in european leagues teams seem to forget to cover good three point shooters, so it's hard to be overly impressed with his percentages.

I've always wondered this myself. I know people laughed at Maciej Lampe dropping like a rock the year he was picked, but I've never seen anything quite like it, and it made me wonder, what did he do between initially becoming known among scouts to be considered a lottery level pick and then all of the sudden not even rate guaranteed money? It seems like a massive dropoff (even if it turned out to be correct).

Mind, I also thought Russell Westbrook was going to be a bust based on his mediocre college stats.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm glad you guys cleared this up, because he seems kinda Chris Wilcox-ish otherwise.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be curious to see what teams would even really be able to offer Philly for him. He's still on his rookie deal, so making salaries match would be difficult. OTOH, Philly has to be way below the cap, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

You only have to match if the deal leaves you over the cap AND you take more money than you sent. A whole bunch of teams will be under with the cap going up so lots of trade scenarios in play.

Durant sign-and-trade for Okafor will work fine, if that's what your asking.

Nothing quite that ambitious, more of a thing where I realize that many useful players are making between 10-27 million while Okafor only makes like, 4 million

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anything about who the Raps are looking at? I'm concerned they might draft for need, as I know Ujiri said getting a PF is a priority (re-signing DeRozan was the other). Thing is if they re-sign DeMar I can't imagine they'll have much room for signing a PF, unless, they trade somebody to make cap space.

Edit: There is this

quote:

Toronto GM Masai Ujiri, whose team has the No. 9 pick, has publicly said he would consider trade offers as his team seeks to become a legitimate contender. But the Raptors would be just the start of a run of teams willing to take offers on their pick. The Bucks and Magic are also willing to deal, and the Jazz — another team with playoff aspirations and enough youth on hand — are said to be among the most eager to trade.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 3, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any strong 3 and D swingmen in the draft? I'd be cool with that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

Brian Robb: Domantas Sabonis said he’s only going to workout for four teams total: Boston, Utah, Phoenix and Toronto.

Baby Sabonis certainly feels like an upgrade over Luis Scola.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

More accurate to say he was a better shooter in high school (52/39/70 vs 48/29/65) which doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot but will still be waved around like it does

I think his best hope is DeMar DeRozan lite but even DeRozan had a midrange game and was way way way more efficient in college

DeRozan also has a terrific work ethic and gets to the FT line like a machine. I don't know what Bennett's rep is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really like the idea of the Raps trading their picks for a PF like somebody suggested in the draft guess thread. As much as Baby Sabonis intrigues me, I want the Raps to do everything they can to work with this core towards big things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
At least with Siakam he's got solid numbers you can look at, Cabcolo, who knows what the gently caress

• Locked thread