Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It's the NBA Draft, the shortest and most impactful of all of the sports drafts!

rip bill we hardly knew ye please never come back

I'm gonna do a big board with pictures and other cool poo poo in the next post but since I'm writing this on my phone I'll just do some Big Names That You Should Know

Skal Labissiere
The latest in the line of Kentucky blue chip big men that will rule the NBA for the next thousand years, Skal Labissiere's inevitable comparison is probably going to be Amare because of one numbers he put up at the Kentucky combine in October. Very long armed and athletic, he also shows flashes of a mid range jumper and can shoot free throws. Also he's Haitian so that's fun

Ben Simmons
A normal dude with a normal name but Australian so probably racist. 6'10, crazy athletic, and an excellent passer and defender (I mean in theory). Plays SF and PF but his jumper is unknown at this point (although it's been decentish in showcases).

Dragan Bender
Bends dragons.

Brandon Ingram
Freakishly long armed guy who plays at SF, likely top 3 pick. Can do, like, all the moves from 2K. Unfortunately, Duke.

Jakob Poeltl, Diamond Stone, Cheick Diallo, Furkan Korkmaz, Sviatoslav Mykhaliuk
All totally real names of people probably going in the first 20 picks.

Domanatas Sabonis
yes, like that sabonis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

This post reserved y'all

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

this one too just in case

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Dragan Bender is a loving badass name

Very strong draft for names

Jota posted:

Come to me Brandon Ingram and Jamal Murray

Lakers need to be bad but not too bad but also not especially lucky

I'd be surprised if they drafted two shooters that close together but I guess it makes sense because nobody can shoot on that team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Lakers might not break 10 wins this year. Not an exaggeration.

I could see them pushing 25 if Kobe gets hurt and those shots go to someone who isn't an aging tire fire. I think the pick is only top 3 protected though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

Declan can you break down Malik Pope from SDSU for me because he owns

I watched some tape on him because I've never seen him play before. He's got an intriguing physical profile (a lot like Durant actually) and is a pretty good rebounder but he doesn't really pass at all. He's also slow getting his shot off although it does look good when it leaves his hands. He also looks pretty decent putting the ball on the floor. The big thing is that he only got on the floor for 15 minutes a game last year so it's tough to tell how he'll handle the spotlight. His stock could go way way way up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

This guy looks pretty interesting: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zhou-Qi-61857/

Been a while since anyone dared to draft a Chinese player.

However, he's 7 foot 2 and loving 209 pounds. I'd figure the CBA would be a pretty good place to use steroids, get on it CBA trainers.

He managed to injure himself in front of a bunch of scouts so he's going to be stuck with the fragile tag for basically forever

He isn't half the man Yao is, literally

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If you have a superlative prospect, they are often able to shore up their shooting or if they can't then they can compensate in other areas.

MourningView posted:

He's really good. I thought he hosed up not leaving last year since he'd have probably been a late lottery pick, but he can do even better than that this year if he keeps it up

He's "matched up" against Denzel Valentine tomorrow so that's a good opportunity to see him play if anyone's missed it. He's been phenomenal but he doesn't have a ton of range

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And he just turned 18.

edit: there's a nice batch of guys at PG and SG who'll probably be available between 10-30. Demetrius Jackson, Wade Baldwin, Monte Morris, Levert, Newman, Korkmaz, etc.

Please do not forget the IV when discussing Wade Baldwin IV

Also Diamond Stone would be a terrible idea for the Hornets

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

Kristaps moves way better than Dirk I think. I want to see what a NBA training regime does to him over the next few years, might end up being really good on defense some day.

He's way more athletic and coordinated than Dirk ever was and he's already a good shot blocker. The future's real bright

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

Not sure if you guys would be interested but in one of my graduate courses I have to do matchup analysis reports and I figure I'd share one here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HIbey4pv7fWKEEMXMBSf1-Bg3s88AJSExayQCZ8fAOA/edit?usp=sharing

Skal Labissiere vs Marshall Plumlee from the game back in November.

The two matchups were bleh. Plumlee outrebounded Skal easily, got him into foul trouble early, then disappeared shortly after Skal because he's too slow tempo versus Kentucky. Takeaways from the game tho are that Briscoe needs to stop chewing his mouthguard like a open mouthed moron, Murray is a really, really good basketball player, Grayson has one of the most punchable Duke faces in history, and Kentucky's spirit squad must be the most annoying group of douches in the history of any sport.

I wish I could get my master's in watching basketball

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

They are basically locked into this process until 2018 which holy poo poo that's like six loving years spent in a rebuild that might end up with them in another rebuild

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Buddy Hield's name is actually Buddy.

I like him, he's a little old and a little short but he puts the dang ball in the dang basket

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

He'll be 23, not 30

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bobby Hield turned 22 last month; that's barely older than Draymond when he was drafted

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I've been hating on this draft, and I still think it's really shallow, but Simmons and Brandon Ingram is really really good top 2

Bobby Hield Will Literally Be An All Star

Luwawu will probably get drafted in the lottery just based on tools. Also I feel like DraftExpress projects everyone to be a great defender

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I get why people are down on Hield but I don't care me and Buddy are gonna get gay married

Rick posted:

I've always felt Kaleb Tarczewski had a decent shot of making it in the NBA in some capacity because of his size and fairly solid defense, but he somehow returned from injury with a nice little post game, and is finally rebounding the ball at a decent clip too this season.

I mean he's 7 feet tall he'll be on the end of somebody's bench

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wait he's actually got the injury bug? I thought y'all were just goofin. Ahhhhhh god drat it!!!

Injury prone is really only concerning in big men or if there's an underlying problem

If he hosed up his foot again I think it'd be cause for concern

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Not a fan of Ellenson higher than 10 or so. Garbage defender and his jump shooting is overrated at this stage.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

His handles are pretty good and he has a high release point but there is a lot of projection going on there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Alex Poythress is going to leave Kentucky with a degree, he might get a masters before he's done

Elite name tool, as Declan would say. I think I have a little bit of a touch for prospects in college games, and a little bit in international games, but in camp workouts, I don't know man. It's hard not to at least be alright when you have that sort of freakish body. We'll see babaayyy

It's important to look at both but at a young age the camp workouts are probably a bit more important.

Also is that pronounced Nitillykeena because I'm excited for announcers to mangle that for years

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Would a skinnier Royce White smell as sweet

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

compelling point

I mean poo poo if the lakers are dumb enough to trade away Russell after one season for a pick they might as well double down on Bad Decisions

ButtWolf posted:

I watched some Luwawu footage today. Im hyped for him. Looks like Manu to me. Wqs pulling off some really long stride stretch dunks ala Giannis. I know its not a real good league, but he looks cool and good.

Serbian League is okay, it's not a crapshoot like Giannis' junior basketball league for wayward Greek children. That being said he's probably not gonna see a lot of time and I'm not wild about his jumpshot so unless he's running pick and rolls in his seven odd minutes per game he's probably going to look like poo butt rear end for his first year (although he can totally be a good player eventually)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Welcome back declan tell my why I should be excited about Jaylen Brown falling to the Kings

He's already physically ready to brick shots at an NBA level

Basically he didn't get coached a ton at Cal and cleaning up his mechanics will probably render him as an okay spot up shooter. He doesn't hog the ball either so when teams start cheating off of him to keep him from slashing he can actually take advantage, like, a little bit, but he's not a drive and kick dude (at least not yet)

Basically as long as you surround him with shooters and provide a stable coaching situation he could be an all-star

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Hey, how the hell is there a Syracuse wing that shot 37% from the field projected to go in the lottery

Look the part be the part

6'6 shooting guard, good mechanics, actually could play defense in a big boy offensive scheme, and the rationale that his extraordinarily long leash in college was the reason he took so so so so so so so so so so so so so many bad shots (DX says he took 124 shots off the dribble vs 90 with his feet set, which, lmao) and I guess NBA execs haven't figured out that Cuse is a lanky pit of NBA failure

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Declan! I'm so glad you're back

You missed the most important revelation in scouting history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSK77Asxhpo

I think about this sometimes and I also think how spergy it must sound to tell a grown man that his haircut is getting in the way of his shot

But I can't think of a player with a flattop who has a good jumpshot besides Chris Mullin

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

I can see Bennett getting one more chance next preseason. Especially if he is competent with Team Canada that is probably going to get an at large bid even if they fail to qualify.

He's gonna stick around for a while just because he was drafted so highly. Not for whole seasons or anything but lots of 10 days and emergency injury replacements

MourningView posted:

also jaylen brown is like a less skilled Stanley Johnson and I really don't get the appeal at all.

I think the logic is that he was surrounded by other athletic ubermenschen that didn't know how to put the ball in the hoop so maybe he might look better on a team that could theoretically space the floor

Also He Could Shoot in High School I guess

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Could he? I remember a lot of "needs to work on his jumper BUT" scouting reports on him back in the day but I could be wrong.

More accurate to say he was a better shooter in high school (52/39/70 vs 48/29/65) which doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot but will still be waved around like it does

I think his best hope is DeMar DeRozan lite but even DeRozan had a midrange game and was way way way more efficient in college

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

I've seen some Suns bloggers tossing around the idea that the Suns would probably be happy to include Knight as a throw in just because the market is apparently soft for him and then his unhappiness becomes the Lakers' problem.

I mean that's a decent trade overall but I feel like the Lakers are gonna regret cutting bait so quickly

OTOH it's not like he put up KAT or Brand stats his rookie season sooo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Isaiah Canaan is terrible (I think)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Comparing Chriss to Tyrus Thomas is brutal and also 5000% accurate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Columnated ruins Mario Chalmers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I don't really have faith in Skal.

Me either but the Hawks are stuck in that limbo where they're good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to advance and boy it feels like they've been there since like 2005 doesn't it

But anyways Skal is probably the best shot at a home run in that range

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The age rumors come up for pretty much every African basketball player and it tends to be hard to prove without a medical examination. It could be a smokescreen or it could be legit but I wouldn't put too much stock into a bunch of scouts speculating until someone's willing to attach some evidence or at least put their name out there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Luwawu could be something and Poeltl would be good depth. Other than that, uh, Sabonis?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Draft thread is also draft GDT

Don't be a little bitch boy about spoilers, dummos

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Maybe we'll address Thon Maker, maybe we won't

The Glumslinger posted:

Still better than making things up so your network can discuss them for the rest of the week, like most of ESPN. You have one guy write an article about a trade rumor, and then you can talk about it on all your shows.

Feed the Beast

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Just a reminder that the players are getting hosed on the BRI, forever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I was busy playing Dark Souls, did they do DraftBangBus again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Buddy isn't gonna fall to 7, is he

gently caress no he might even go 2

• Locked thread