Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

Very strong draft for names

Lakers need to be bad but not too bad but also not especially lucky

I'd be surprised if they drafted two shooters that close together but I guess it makes sense because nobody can shoot on that team

Lakers might not break 10 wins this year. Not an exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

I could see them pushing 25 if Kobe gets hurt and those shots go to someone who isn't an aging tire fire. I think the pick is only top 3 protected though.

Offense isn't really the problem with the team, their defense is soooooooooooo bad and when Kobe's off the floor it's Nick Young, who somehow is a worse defender than Kobe right now.

But yeah they basically have a 25% chance to lose the pick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This will be a nice six months before he ends up going to the Sixers or the Celtics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So he doesn't have a funny name but Kris Dunn looks really darn good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I would like to see the Kings make the playoffs, I have had a soft spot for that team in the Cousin's era.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've always felt Kaleb Tarczewski had a decent shot of making it in the NBA in some capacity because of his size and fairly solid defense, but he somehow returned from injury with a nice little post game, and is finally rebounding the ball at a decent clip too this season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tadashi posted:

Am I the only one who liked the more after they acquired Rondo? I really liked the idea of them embracing the heel role.

They have a nice edge to them now that isn't just Cousins, which is entertaining. I actually kind of think they're a worse basketball team overall under Karl but it probably doesn't matter since the West got bad enough to open the door for them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I get why people are down on Hield but I don't care me and Buddy are gonna get gay married

I mean he's 7 feet tall he'll be on the end of somebody's bench

This was the basis of my "he'll probably be the guy who has the longest NBA career of the bunch" argument vis a vis the Arizona team from a couple years ago, but I think he might be able to do a little more than just be a stiff now. Probably not a career starter but who knows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

"Everyone" in this case being "DraftExpress", who doesn't even really do a mock in the traditional sense this early in the process, they just have Ingram as their top ranked player right now. Simmons is not the absolute lock he was two months ago and there's a lot of grumbling about his effort, but most people still have him projected to go first, I think. Ingram has been closing the gap for most of the season and could pass him with a really good tournament (although I think Duke could get bounced fairly early) but Simmons is still probably the favorite to go first right now.

I watched most of Simmons games the last 1/4 of the season and I honestly don't think his effort was that bad. He was at times openly frustrated with his teammates, but, deservedly so I'd argue. One of the national commentators put it very nicely, when he said he didn't think that Simmons teammates embraced the opportunity to play with someone like Simmons this season. Of course, the Sixers and Lakers might worry about this since they're gonna be a frustrating situation next year . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A 6'10" Rajon Rondo would be loving scary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

As I said I haven't watched a ton, but my sense is that Simmons will have trouble scoring at the next level (in the way that Lebron didn't have as big of a risk doing).

I mean he might, but he's a physically big and quick guy with good handles who can get to the rim off the dribble and finish around the basket. Even if he's not as effective in the post, unless his athleticism doesn't transfer to the pros he's going to score.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah and for 90% of good players the shot will come along. Id still think about taking Ingram if i needed a scorer vs playmaker more, like phx maybe. Maybe.

I actually think Phoenix would be one of the best landing spots for Simmons. Booker is the only player who can pass and the Suns have some shooting (although of course Ingram wouldn't hurt them).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I don't think you can make a long term plan around a guy who misses every other season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

ba-by bo-nis clap clap clapclapclap

He's a joy to watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just wonder who brings him into Summer league this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wouldn't be completely shocked if the Spurs try to move up a little to get Sabonis because he really seems like their type of dude. And I don't think moving to the middle of the draft will be that expensive this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He is pretty athletic and has a huge wingspan. He has the tools to be a good wing defender has enough offensive potential to make teams bite. Someone may thing he can run an offense (he can't)

I figure with most teams getting smaller height-wise in the backcourt he'll be ok as long as he gets to the right place with someone else to do that offense running.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

DraftExpress has him in the 35-40 range as a best-case scenario for this year. Considering those contracts aren't guaranteed he should go back to school.

On the other hand 35-40 is almost a sure thing for the D-league which is a better place to work on your game than college in most cases.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man, Kaleb Tarczsweski should've really gone out last year, over the course of the year he's gone from being a top 20 projection to undrafted on most boards.

I'm not absolutely positive Jakob Poeltl is that much better than him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Poetl is younger and way more athletic

He is, but they were close enough in head to head that I'm not like "wow that guy needs to go 50 spots ahead of Kaleb."

--

Simmons is interesting in that I could see him very easily going #1 or #3 depending on how the draft order pans out. I'm not positive the Sixers will pick him at #2 even if Ingram goes to whoever gets #1.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Simmons is a good ball handler on the break or in isolation but I'm not actually so sure he was that great at dribbling the ball up and initiating an offense which is something completely different.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the best fit for SImmons is probably the Suns or the Timberwolves (where Towns probably compliments him very well), or the Celtics (although he may not play much initially with them if they're still trying to win).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Simmons wouldn't be a great fit on MN, if they do win the #1 Ingram is a much better fit, but yeah that team would be ridicu-fun
I just don't see it. If anything Minnesota has the most potential to put Ingram in a situation that will expose a lot of his weaknesses. He needs to go somewhere that's going to make him the focus of their offense and not ask him to play the 4 or the 2 for at least a couple years and forget any sort of small ball scenario.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what that actually results in.

I guess I don't see why having him play stretch 4 in small ball lineups is a bad thing? Being able to do that seems like one of the best reasons to draft a 6'10" dude who can shoot threes. He probably won't be great at it defensively right away but that's true of almost every rookie regardless of where he plays and he's not going to get better at it by not doing it

I was more worried about him in small lineups where people are basically playing a guard at the traditional 1, 2, 3 spots that a lot of teams have started to run this year. I don't think he'll just get killed defensively by little dudes but that he also doesn't really have the tools at the moment to punish smaller defenders if they end up on him.

He's fine in a small ball "Paul Pierce plays the 4" type of lineups.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My coworker who stalks 8th graders follows long-term college recruiting says there aren't isn't any generational talent in at least the next three years. That seems insane, but how soon do people typically start projection such aspirations on players?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
David Lee was only the poor man's Kevin Love after he was completely shot, he was the poor man's Amare before that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I could absolutely see Skal moving up very high with some good workouts and combine. His physical attributes are too tempting if he can show something off.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If Brolic is right about Bender, would you rather roll the dice on him or Skal?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ingram cannot handle the ball a bit, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Givony like 'taking a stand on this' makes me really respect him a lot less. Since Draftexpress is so influential among people who don't really know what they're talking about (and a lot of people who do), he's really soured the narrative on Simmons. He makes Cowherd seem like the rational one in the interview on this page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Simmons-61928/

drat, when Cowherd is the voice of reason, that's scary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

He's basically perfect for any team that needs some Thons made

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Jim Buss is still does a lot of collegiate scouting, and paraphrasing an interview with him during Monday's Thunder game, he did think the Lakers would probably be able to get a contributor at 32, worst case scenario. He is apparently responsible for a lot of the gems the Lakers manage to pluck out of round 2 so who knows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Depending on who picks there it could happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is so important.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you don't want to call this a bad draft, instead maybe thinking of it as a draft where the talent doesn't necessarily fit the needs most of the lottery teams have will be easier to wrap a head around. Someone from the Kris Dunn/Buddy Hield/Jamal Murray pile (maybe all of them) are going to be a good NBA player, but most teams already have a 6'4" guy who's not really a PG.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

The Kings have a glaring hole at SG and possibly a need at PG. While those 3 guys might not be future all-stars, a good NBA player in our backcourt would really help us out. If we get Hield or Murray, I think the org and fanbase would be thrilled. All we need to Skal to continue to rocket up the charts with his amazing new 3pt stroke

It would be interesting to see a Rondo/Murray backcourt although I'm not sure they are complimentary pieces.

I don't think it should happen and I'm not predicting it to happen, but if Skal ends up going top 5 I'm not gonna be shocked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
What is interesting to me is that Poeltl just stays projected 7-10 in every mock no matter who moves up or down around him. I've been a little critical of him but he still seems like a really safe pick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The people that teams interview at this time of year is always interesting. The Lakers have met with Thom Maker and some huge guy that went to UCSD.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Are you sure it wasn't UCI? They were the one with the comically large and slow center (several actually but one especially so)

You're right! It was UCI. I was confusing my "you wouldn't believe this UC school still has a sports program" schools.

Kibner posted:

Over the years, it seems like when a team interviews someone, it's because they have doubts they are trying to confirm. It feels like if a team really likes or really hates someone, they don't bother doing an interview.

I think you're right. It seems to be to determine cases where there's some doubt as to if the guy should be invited to their camp or not.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd never looked at Hield's advanced line before. drat, that's an amazing year of basketball even if he can't repeat it in the pros.

• Locked thread