Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Here's an article

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/12/12/meet-9-grinch-goalies-who-have-torpedoed-the-teddy-bear-toss-with-a-shutout/

quote:

Meet 9 Grinch goalies who have torpedoed the teddy-bear toss with a shutout

That awkward moment when your team fails to score a goal on Teddy Bear Toss night.

The Vancouver Giants hope to avoid that scenario Friday night when the Everett Silvertips visit Pacific Coliseum for one of hockey’s great holiday traditions. Silvertips stopper Austin Lotz, however, is perfectly willing to play the Grinch — he blanked the Kamloops Blazers 7-0 on their teddy-bear night Monday.

Friday’s game gives Lotz a chance to become the first goalie in history to foil two teddy-bear tosses in a single season.

Here are nine Grinch goalies from various leagues who achieved immortality by making the home fans sit on their stuffies until the final buzzer:

Brent Zelenewich, Dec. 12, 2003
Indianapolis Ice 2 Oklahoma City Blazers 0 (CHL)
43 saves
Note: A line at the bottom of the game report reads, “Because of Friday’s inclement weather, the Blazers will have another Teddy Bear Night on Dec. 20.” We suspected inclement weather might not be the real reason the Blazers rescheduled Teddy Bear Night, so we checked the weather records. As it turns out, the bottom of this page shows that Oklahoma City was indeed hit with an historic storm that day, with 10 inches of snow in some areas, ice accumulation on roads and bridges, and freezing rain creating havoc for drivers. We don’t know how many showed up for Teddy Bear Night, but we do know the Blazers took advantage of their second shot at it, beating the Odessa Jackalopes 7-4 on Dec. 20.

Josh Lepp, Dec. 13, 2003
Seattle Thunderbirds 4 Everett Silvertips 0 (WHL)
16 saves before 7,605 fans
Quote: “We really wanted to bear down before the (holiday) break and play our system for a full 60 minutes and that’s what we did.” — T-Birds centre Dustin Johner
Note: That was the Silvertips’ first teddy-bear toss. The following Christmas, they held a ‘toque toss’ and were also shut out at home. They haven’t held a toss night since. It was an embarrassing run for the Kevin Constantine-coached squad to be sure, but they now have a chance to play spoiler for the second time in one season.

Travis Yonkman, Dec. 7, 2007
Swift Current Broncos 1 Kootenay Ice 0 (WHL)
34 saves before 2,838 fans
Note: Canucks forward Dale Weise (below) was playing for Swift Current when they came into Cranbrook and shut out the Ice. With the home team still scoreless in the final minute, an Ice fan figured they might as well start tossing and threw a bear onto the ice. Weise threw it back.

John DeCaro, Dec. 22, 2007
Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs 2 Oklahoma City Blazers 0 (CHL)
41 saves
Quote: “Well, that was disappointing for the teddy bear toss. Everybody brings a bear and we have 41 shots on goal and don’t score.” — Blazers head coach Doug Sauter
Note: It was the second time the Blazers had been shut out on teddy-bear night. Nevertheless, they were the CHL’s reigning “Franchise of the Year,” having edged out the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at the 2006 league awards.

Marty Magers, Dec. 13, 2008
Rocky Mountain Rage 1 Wichita Thunder 0 (CHL)
31 saves
Note: We don’t know much else about Magers, although he was a teammate of Canuck Brad Richardson on the 2002-03 Owen Sound Attack. He also went in the fourth round of the 2002 draft to the Buffalo Sabres, who could have had D-man Tom Gilbert with the pick.

Richard Bachman, Dec. 17, 2010
Texas Stars 3 San Antonio Rampage 0 (AHL)
41 saves before 6,202 fans
Quote: “I felt kind of bad about it, actually. But in a 2-0 game you can’t give them even one.” — Bachman
Note: Bachman was 14 years old in 2002 when Martin Brodeur came to his hometown of Salt Lake City and showed him how it’s done. He’s one of the more accomplished goalies on our list, having appeared in 35 NHL games since his 2010 debut with the Dallas Stars. He’s now in the Oilers system.

Riku Helenius, Dec. 14, 2012
Syracuse Crunch 3 Adirondack Phantoms 0 (AHL)
21 saves before 2,756 fans
Quote: “He made some very, very big stops and I think that built into our game and started to creep into our head.” — Phantoms coach Terry Murray
Note: The Phantoms still embrace the teddy-bear toss and other fun promotions, but none better than their “Pregame Happy Hour” for select Friday night games, when draft beer is $2 for an hour before faceoff. Canucks please take note.

Brandon Whitney, Dec. 6, 2013
Victoriaville Tigres 5 Saint John Sea Dogs 0 (QMJHL)
28 saves before 3,449 fans
Quote (translated from French): “I am happy with this performance. It’s also a tribute to our goaltender.” — Tigres head coach Yanick Jean
Note: The Sea Dogs might do better with a promotion where women throw bras on the ice — their assistant coach is “Cowan the Bra-barian.”

Austin Lotz, Dec. 9, 2013
Everett Silvertips 7 Kamloops Blazers 0 (WHL)
26 saves before 4,119 fans
Quote: “That should never happen in our building. It doesn’t matter who we play. To watch these last two nights, it’s sickening. It’s sickening to watch…” — Blazers head coach Dave Hunchak

Article is from 2013 btw.

Article in one quote: "I felt kind of bad about it, actually"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The best one is the Dale Weise one.
For those of you who are lazy:

quote:

Note: Canucks* forward** Dale Weise (below) was playing for Swift Current when they came into Cranbrook and shut out the Ice. With the home team still scoreless in the final minute, an Ice fan figured they might as well start tossing and threw a bear onto the ice. Weise threw it back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

The best one is the Dale Weise one.
For those of you who are lazy:

hahahahaha that's a top notch heel move

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Speaking of teddy bear toss, Flyers prospect Radel Fazleev did a loving moonwalk on the way back to the bench after he scored the toss goal last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJyNDoOLjRg

Radel Fazleev owns.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
We had the ref waive off the Teddy Bear goal one year, but since everyone had already started throwing bears they just said "gently caress it, throw them anyway."

Also getting shut out on Teddy Bear Toss night is very painful. :smith:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Speaking of teddy bear toss, Flyers prospect Radel Fazleev did a loving moonwalk on the way back to the bench after he scored the toss goal last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJyNDoOLjRg

Radel Fazleev owns.

that is a pro as gently caress celebration

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3huWIfiO4

I dunno if we'll be using similar socks or not, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
sounds like they are planning on doing an outdoor game for the 2018 WJC - probably Canada vs USA because who cares about the rest of the countries in the tournament

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
a canada-usa outdoor game on new years eve would probably be pretty cool

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Latvia vs Switzerland in Ralph Wilson Stadium, book it

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

sounds like they are planning on doing an outdoor game for the 2018 WJC - probably Canada vs USA because who cares about the rest of the countries in the tournament

This better mean they've settled on giving St Louis the tournament, as the Blues can't get an outdoor game because they aren't a big enough name/the Stadium Series is sponsored by Coors and they don't want to have that game at Busch Stadium for obvious reasons, and this is an easy way to throw them a bone

E: I'm wrong, the P-D just printed an article that said the St. Louis bid all but conceded to Buffalo

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 3, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

checksin posted:

Latvia vs Switzerland in Ralph Wilson Stadium, book it

If you want a crazy, turned up crowd then you could do worse than having the Latvians play.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
These things always interest me: Amalgamated rankings, which this time includes a look at how different lists change over time. Matthews has established himself as a clear #1, which you would expect from his start in Switzerland, and then you have what looks like a consensus 2-5 of Matthew Tkachuk, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi, and Jakub Chychrun although each one has been ranked #2 by someone.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

They just showed a brony on the jumbotron at the Admirals/Wolves game in Rosemont.

gently caress the Chicago Wolves.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Infidel Castro posted:

They just showed a brony on the jumbotron at the Admirals/Wolves game in Rosemont.

gently caress the Chicago Wolves.

go admirals???

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Connor Garland didn't get an invite to team USA's World junior camp. He has 66 points in 27 games this year and lead the Q in scoring last year and was awarded QMJHL MVP. Lol

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Connor Garland didn't get an invite to team USA's World junior camp. He has 66 points in 27 games this year and lead the Q in scoring last year and was awarded QMJHL MVP. Lol

Is that a case of USA Hockey / NCAA fuckery 'how dare you go play in the CHL' type nonsense?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I accidentally hit an old man wearing a Tangradi jersey in the back of the head with a beanie baby at the WBS Penguins teddy bear toss.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

cenotaph posted:

I accidentally hit an old man wearing a Tangradi jersey in the back of the head with a beanie baby at the WBS Penguins teddy bear toss.

My mom would buy you a soda, she hated Tangradi the whole time he was in Wilkes-Barre :laugh:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Is that a case of USA Hockey / NCAA fuckery 'how dare you go play in the CHL' type nonsense?

I thought this was what it is, but after seeing their full lists of invites I'm pretty confident USA hockey is just retarded. Connor, Tuch, Roslovic and Bracco all didn't receive invites.

Tuch I could maybe understand, but there really is no justification not to invite Garland, Bracco, Connor or Roslovic. Connor has 16 points in 13 games and Roslovic is in on like 40% of his teams goal. USA hockey is dumb

Edit: just checked, Roslovic has 15 points in 13 games on a team that's scored 30 goals. Better leave him off!

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
couple head scratchers for guys they left off but I don't have a problem with anyone they invited, mostly because I don't think there's a roster combination they can ice that's good enough to medal, even with top end talent like Matthews and Tkachuk

edit: just for clarification, group A includes the USA, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, and Denmark. Group of death right there. Sorry in advance, Denmark. It's quite a realistic possibility for the US to finish 3rd or 4th in that bracket and face Finland or Russia in the first round.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 7, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
why the gently caress are we not taking Connor?

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

It's already been a while since this happened but TPS goalie Teemu Lassila hextalled Ässät forward Josh Gratton IN THE FACE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HtO2t55bqo

He got "only" seven games because he told the Liiga DOPS that he didn't mean to hurt him. Yeah right, when you're taking a one-hander to a guy that isn't malicious.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
matthews had another two goals today

:ocelot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-announces-disciplinary-action_167197/167197

Hahahahaha

This isnt the first time he has been penalized for slashing or fighting. Apparently the Colts (and soon NJ) have the next Hextall on their hands since the kid has a bit of a temper. Also my team isnt allowed to have nice things.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Michael Leighton had a 50-save game tonight against the Texas Stars :stare:

http://www.texasstars.com/news/detail/texas-stars-vs-rockford-icehogs-dec-8-2015

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Awesome Welles posted:

Michael Leighton had a 50-save game tonight against the Texas Stars :stare:

http://www.texasstars.com/news/detail/texas-stars-vs-rockford-icehogs-dec-8-2015

poo poo, that would have been a great game to be at. They had a groupon special for tickets too that was like 60% off, stupid finals getting in the way of hockey.

At least I'll be at the game this Saturday for free hat day!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fits posted:

Petersson Fredrik's SOG :stare:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

fits posted:

122 SOG?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

fits posted:

if he's so great then why does cory conacher have more points than him

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I guess Kyle Connor was pissed team USA doesn't think he's good enough for the world juniors, he just had a 4 point, 3 goal night to give him 20 points in 14 games on the season. He's 10th in NCAA scoring as a 18 year old freshman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I guess Kyle Connor was pissed team USA doesn't think he's good enough for the world juniors, he just had a 4 point, 3 goal night to give him 20 points in 14 games on the season. He's 10th in NCAA scoring as a 18 year old freshman.

Boeser is better. All hail Brock Boeser.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the team canada selection camp prospects vs CIS game starts at 730 eastern, streaming on http://portal.stretchinternet.com/cis/

Dal Colle-Barzal-Watson
Chartier-Quenneville-Merkley
Dubois-Stephens-Konecny
Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier
Hawryluk

Dermott-Sanheim
Chychrun-Juulsen
Lauzon-McKeown
Chabot-Hickey

McDonald
Blackwood

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
just realized there's no USA-Canada New Years Eve game this year, kind of a bummer

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The WBS Pens went with the Holiday Sweater for tonight's game

edit: Ugly but good for the team, Jarry gets his first professional shut out, with a final score of 4-0.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 13, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mage_Boy posted:

The WBS Pens went with the Holiday Sweater for tonight's game

The Allen Americans did tonight too, I'll post a picture when I get home from the game.

Bought black Friday random seats and ended up at basically center ice! :vince:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The KHL is expanding into China next season: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/russia-based-khl-expands-into-china-with-beijing-team-to-start-play-in-september/article27745117/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Rotenberg said that the new team will be financed by Russian and Chinese businesses and that the project includes an academy staffed by “several children’s coaches” sent by the KHL to develop players. There is also support from the Chinese government, which is seeking to expand hockey in time for the Olympics, he added.

Oh man those books are going to have so much dirty money going through them :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

For the first time in 16+ years the WBS Penguins have recorder 3 consecutive shutouts.

Edit: Just found out Jarry got hurt after Murray got called up. The Pens play the Marlies on Friday. This could be bad.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 18, 2015

• Locked thread