Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

RWBY admittedly has the building blocks for an interesting story, albeit scattered all over the room and slightly chewed up. Perhaps someone that isn't the Rooster Teeth staff could make something of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Level Slide posted:

RWBY admittedly has the building blocks for an interesting story, albeit scattered all over the room and slightly chewed up. Perhaps someone that isn't the Rooster Teeth staff could make something of it.

They might still be writing it since the site only mentions who's drawing the manga.

It's so strange that the series is getting a manga though, it'd be like if red vs blue got a novelisation or something. Is this the first time a western cartoon has gotten a manga adaption? I know there's been Spiderman and X-men mangas, but they were originally comics, I can't think of any cartoons specifically that got one. It just seems like something that usually isn't done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps someone who isn't Roosterteeth's B-Team could do something with it. Though considering how bad their recent RVB seasons have been, I don't have much faith for their A-Team either. I think I'll just stick with their short videos.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps someone who isn't Roosterteeth's B-Team could do something with it. Though considering how bad their recent RVB seasons have been, I don't have much faith for their A-Team either. I think I'll just stick with their short videos.

The guy now writing rwby is the guy who has been writing the recent rvb seasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The guy now writing rwby is the guy who has been writing the recent rvb seasons.

Well then the show's hosed. Everything past Revelation has been mediocre to hot garbage.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The show isn't hosed. It lives on through the incomprehensible powers of marketing.

It's poo poo, but it's not hosed, which is an important distinction.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

not everything is an anime reference, mod
Believe.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thus she lost her leg before dying lone and in pain.

The end.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This show is like a teenage anime nerd dream. Make a show using pretty lackluster 3D CGI, with pretty low quality animation, somehow it still becomes super popular in the country that created the stuff you were originally inspired by.

It's incredible for that, at least.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Namtab posted:

The RWBY apologist

I will protect his right to defend the western CGI series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't oppose me plutonis!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I am your opponent!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

Are you watching season 2 on synchtube? I haven't seen it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleCattle posted:

The show isn't hosed. It lives on through the incomprehensible powers of marketing.

It's poo poo, but it's not hosed, which is an important distinction.

It's kinda interesting that it's turned out to be more of a hit in Japan than in America almost. It's like the reverse of 90's anime.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

thank you, friend

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

Are you watching season 2 on synchtube? I haven't seen it.

Yup. It's happening in 2 hours, 22 minutes.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

RWBY might be bad but it's still better than plenty of native Japanese productions even inside the magic battle high school genre so it's not that strange it caught on.

Peel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 8, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Peel posted:

RWBY might be bad but it's still better than plenty of native Japanese productions even inside the magic battle high school genre so it's not that strange it caught on.

:nallears:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Just out of curiosity what is the "popular in japan" claim based on? Has it shifted a lot of merch?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, now I'm wondering - what's better (OK, less bad) - RWBY or Mahouka?

I mean, obviously, Mahouka had infinitely superior production values, but consider what they were in service of.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Peel posted:

Agreed.

It's just hard for some people to stop idealizing japan long enough to accept when it too happens to be poo poo.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

.jpg posted:

Just out of curiosity what is the "popular in japan" claim based on? Has it shifted a lot of merch?

I secretly hope that its not, and people are just really afraid that it might be.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's popular there. I don't get it, and I won't judge until I've seen the dub.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Woah the japanese don't all watch it subbed? Don't they even care about the authenticity of the source material?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

They do, for now. It's the only way to do it over there at the moment.

Anyway, they're getting a better version by default. Warner Bros sprung for actual, honest-to-goodness voice actors for the localization. It isn't much, and it doesn't fix the rest of this pile, but it's something for them to look forward to.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Why would you wait for the dub then. You can start judging them right now.

e: it is good though to know that the japanese respect the sanctity of my culture, and watch our bad cartoons in the original language.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 8, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Because I like to know what I'm talking about before I make an opinion. Maybe a miracle will occur, and the voice actors are terrific enough to raise this malarkey to mid-fecus tier instead of low-fecus tier.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I too hope that the thing they like now later becomes good, and retroactively redeems them for liking it when it was bad.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's not about redemption. It's about pain.

Speaking of pain, season 2 stream starts in about 20 minutes. http://synchtu.be/r/blcltv

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

My body is ready BattleCattle.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm stretching my anus in anticipation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
BattleCattle making good headway on keeping up the tradition of all threads BattleCattle participates in having the most posts by BattleCattle.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

there's a train fight at the end

that's it

I'm watching it right now and there have been at least three fight scenes. That said, the joke is on me because I'm watching RWBY.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

BattleCattle making good headway on keeping up the tradition of all threads BattleCattle participates in having the most posts by BattleCattle.

Pavlov's gonna provide stiff competition

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Season 2: Episode 5.

Thus far in the series there have been 3 fights, and two episodes with nora, the best character, in

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also the jean lovestory arc is really kicking in and it's really gay

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I thought one of the things RWBY fans complained about was that it detracted from the gay?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

who's he paired with

also who is jean

also what is this amine

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Theyre gonna force him on white, even though white has no interest in him, and I hate jean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

who's he paired with

also who is jean

also what is this amine

http://synchtu.be/r/blcltv

come suffer through it with us

• Locked thread