Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
You are a stranger in a strange world. Last night you went to sleep as normal, but when you awoke you were elsewhere. What’s more you are different, you still look and feel the same for the most part, but you feel a new power awaken within you, a power that is growing and changing with each passing day. What will you do with this new life? How will you make your mark upon this new and unfamiliar world? Only you can say, and only time will tell.

The World
Generally speaking the world is a fairly standard fantasy world, containing humans of various races, elves, orcs, and dwarves. Magic is known and common, if not exactly available to the average peasant, but nobles will generally have a court mage or two. Technology is pretty much what you’d expect from this sort of setting, no gunpowder, no steam-engine.

This may seem a bit thin on the ground, but I am intentionally keeping details from applicants, as a big part of the game will be your characters dealing with culture shock and adjusting to not only awakening to divine powers, but doing it in a world completely unfamiliar to them. Know that the world will have room for a variety of playstyles ranging from courtly intrigue, to merchant empires, to popular uprisings, to barbarian invasions. If you have a really pressing question, that is very important for your character please feel free to ask me in IRC or via PM and I’ll try and answer as best I can without giving much away.

Lastly a map to whet your appetites:

Characters

Your character will be from some other world, where you were a mortal person. Whether you were important or a nobody is up to you. Feel free to app whatever background you think will be interesting and fun to play. The only real hard and fast rule I’m using is that physics work fundamentally differently in this world even if the apparent effect is the same, so please don’t app a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court and expect to be able to invent the steam engine and the machine gun. Your characters will find any high-tech devices they bring along simply will fail to function. Also of note, you don’t have to play as one of the existing species in the game. However, if you are not a human, elf, orc, or dwarf, expect that to be noticed and people to respond to it.

Your character should consist of [+6] in mortal qualities, and a single [+2] divine domain. Your mortal qualities can be pretty much whatever you want them to be, are you great with a sword, very strong, handsome or pretty, know lots of esoteric lore, etc. Just as a warning, you will be going to a completely foreign world, so qualities that apply solely to your previous world such as political connections or favors owed would be useless where you’re going. Your domain can be nearly anything, it represents your character's burgeoning divinity. My advice would be to pick something you think you’ll be able to use, and that will have interesting effects. Also, do not app a character with domains that will be impossible for me to resolve in a consistent manner like Time[+2]. If you have doubts or questions come talk to me on IRC and I’d be happy to help you as much as I can.

Lastly, your character should have a single [-2] drawback. This is some sort of inherent character flaw. It is important that this be something you would be able and willing to invoke.

System

I’ll be using PDQ for this game. It’s a pretty simple and rules light system. I’ll be doing all of the DC setting and rolling behind the curtain.

The only major change to vanilla PDQ will be with using drawbacks. When you as a player or I as the GM invoke a character’s drawback, I will give you a bonus point. BP can be spent to add +2 to a future roll. This means it's important to pick a drawback you’ll be comfortable using.

App Format

What I want from you:

A name - I feel like this goes without saying. However, of note please don’t pick a name that is exceptionally long or exceptionally hard to spell. A rule of thumb, if I can’t read your character’s name out loud without a pronunciation dictionary it is not a workable name.

A Picture - Most games have this be optional, but I really want you to include one. They tell me a lot about character and they’ll make it easier to remember who your person is.

Description - Tell me about your character, what do you look like. Keep in mind that you can play as something that otherwise does not exist in the world, but it will not go unnoticed. How people react will vary, but they will react.

Who were you in your old world? - Give me some details, this is a chance to flesh out who your character is and where they are from. The more detail you give me, the better I’ll be able to set things up for your character if they get picked. Also, keep in mind nothing from the old world is getting carried over but your PC so feel free to go wild.

Mortal Qualities - What’re you good at, what sets you apart? Feel free to spread out your [+6] any way you want. Anything your traditional fantasy hero could do can be used as a mortal quality. Ranging from being a swordmaster, fire-mage, pickpocket, charismatic speaker, politician, general, etc. Magic is kosher as a Mortal Quality, but generally its power-level should be tied into the number of traits it take up. So even if you put Archmage[+2] it’ll still be less mechanically effective than bumbling apprentice[+4]. Your mortal traits can be exceptional, but try and keep them from getting too super-human.

However, don’t try and cheese it and put something overpowered in here. If I see Destroy the World[+2] or something like that I will a) never pick you, and b) yell at you. If in doubt whether a trait should be mortal or divine please ask me and I’ll help you.

Divine Domain - Your character has begun the transformation into godhood. List their first domain, a +2 supernatural quality of some sort. This is something clearly super-human, do you have command over an element, do you control some fundamental concept of the universe? This may seem to have some overlap with magic or other Mortal Qualities, but keep in mind a Divine Domain will always be more potent than a Mortal Quality. If you’ve got the domain of Fire[+2] you’ll be able to suppress the fireball of the most experienced fire-mage[+12], or make it explode in his hand, or some other thing. It can range from an element, to an abstract concept, to something more concrete, but it's a sphere your character will be able to exert tremendous influence over.

Drawback - What is your character’s biggest flaw, either personality-wise or physically. Make it something you would be comfortable invoking, and know that I reserve the right to invoke it for you when I feel it's appropriate. Also, this can change over the course of the game as your character changes, so don’t feel stuck with this.

What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for. What do you want your character to accomplish, what sort of things do you enjoy?

If you have any questions or need advice on Qualities, Domains or Drawbacks, feel free to ask me about them.

Other Business

If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via PMs. You can also often find me in #ohgod on synirc. I’m happy to help with questions about the game or your character.

I am looking for 5ish players. Deadline for apps will be 11:59PM EST on Friday, November 20th. I’ll try and have picks up by the following Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
A dude will go here.

Stay tuned.

(Goes to continue updating his own game)

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
I support this. :)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

HiKaizer posted:

A dude will go here.

Stay tuned.

(Goes to continue updating his own game)

Are we doing teaser pictures?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I will make a mans. No picture because I have not decided yet.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

theme song
Tell me boy, what do you know of the man that lives in that forest? Is it true what they say? That he meddles with the forces of life and death? Heals the sick and raises the dead? Tell me boy, is it true? That he's broken the Vow and invoked the wrath of the Legion? Tell me boy, do you know? Does he feast on human hears and summon the spirits of the dead to do his bidding?

~An anonymous bard in the town of Icecap

To call myself a failure doesn't do justice to the magnitude of my failing. I have sacrificed everything, and gained nothing. Everything I've loved has burnt and died, everyone who's shown me even a sliver of kindness is gone. Even the world I was born shuns me. But I'd do it all the same way again...

Let me start from the beginning. My name is Azyr. You may have heard of me by a different name, The Dread Necromancer of Icecap, maybe. But when I was born, to two minor nobles in the city of Whiterose, I was just Azyr, Azyr Hollow technically, as our family had had to sell our noble name just to stay out of ruin. I can hardly complain about my childhood. My parents were loving, and they encouraged my sometimes outrageous curiosity. I had tutors and books, and everything a young child could ask for. Even as minor nobility we got along well with the other noble families, likely because we didn't pose a threat. When I turned 13, I saw something that would change my life. Everyone has heard of the Scholars, practitioners of magic who risk their very lifeblood in the pursuit of knowledge, who can, with their knowledge and power shape the very boundaries of reality.

When I was thirteen, it happened. A shattered fragment of a Voidgate was found under the manor where we lived. A Scholar was called for. I remember peeking around a corner to catch a glimpse of him. He was, to my young mind, thoroughly unimpressive, for all I had read of the Scholars, I'm not sure anything could have measured up, but he certainly was not gliding around on a cloud of shimmering blue radiance, with energy rippling over his arms. I wasn't allowed to see the Voidshard of course, it was insanely dangerous, and no one would let a thirteen year old even near the room. Having assessed that the Scholar wasn't a big deal however, I could only imagine that the Voidshard would be equally tame. Clearly these adults had no idea what they were talking about! So, taking advantage of the distraction that our new guest had provided, I wandered into the deepest part of the manor. My memories from that time are a little disjointed. I remember struggling with a heavy oak door. I remember catching a glimpse of it, a single fragment of obsidian, somehow hovering. I remember screaming, as my legs, of their own volition brought me closer to the shard. The next thing I remember is blood. My hands covered in it. Not all my own. I remember the Scholar standing over me, and my heart full of terror and the knowledge I was going to die. The man, who had seemed short and unimpressive before was a towering giant, stones coiling around him like angry snakes, bent to his will. In his eyes I saw power beyond measure, and sadness.

As is obvious, I didn't die. The Scholar managed to pry the stone from my hands, after I'd injured one servant and myself. As I lay recovering from the injuries, mental and physical, I remember thinking just one thought. I would never be powerless like this again. I would become a Scholar. So, as I recovered, I applied myself. I spent the next five years, doing everything I could to prepare myself for the Academy. Their entrance tests were said to be incredibly rigorous. My parents were, in a word, relieved, though I didn't know it at the time, we were scraping the bottom of the barrel, and the Academy meant that I wouldn't be forced to live off of a pathetic inheritance. In fact, although I wouldn't learn this fact till many years later, the day I left to take the Academy test, was also the day the manor I had grown up in had to be sold off to pay the last of the family debt. At the time the bag of gold my parents gave me seemed like the natural thing, but now I know it was the last bit of gold they had in the world.

Unburdened by this knowledge, I traveled to Glimmervoid, the shining city, where the Academy was located. I will never forget how I felt the first time I lay eyes on those towering spires of white marble, or how I felt setting foot in the Academy for the first time. The testing was stringent, but I somehow managed to get in. There I quickly learned two things, : One, the other candidates where at least as brilliant as I was, and two, a bag of gold will only carry you so far. While the academy would pay for room and board, it was... difficult, not having money when the other students, for the most part, did. So I did something foolish. Something that haunts me to this day. I sold my services as a practitioner of magic. One of the cardinal rules. I thought I was sneaky, but, unsurprisingly I got caught. Expelled. Immediately. No recourse was offered. There are few memories as bleak as the day I walked out of the academy, alone. This, unfortunately, was only the first of many bitter moments. I stayed in Glimmervoid, now that I wasn't in the Academy, I could freely sell my services. Plus, I legitimately didn't know what to do. Returning home a failure was out of the question. So I begun plotting an ambitious plan.

The plan was simple, I'd take students who'd failed the Academy entrance exam, train them in magic, and form a service of affordable sorcery. Sure, this was entirely illegal, as only those sanctioned by the Academy could practice magic, but what could possibly go wrong? The enforcers caught wind of this within a week of me opening shop. While they seemed inclined to offer some leniency to a single practitioner, attempting to organize a crime ring was less well received. I fled Glimmervoid with what felt like the hounds of hell on my heels. Broken, defeated, a complete failure, I settled on a small town called Briarford. There I was what's commonly known as a hedge wizard, without using much magic, I provided poultices and salves, a fairly acceptable service that wouldn't invoke the wrath of the Legion or the Enforcers.

I lived happily in Briarford for a number of years, took a wife, Mathilda, had a son, Brian. Commoners, sure, but I had already lost my lineage, and I loved them so. Then came the storm. It came suddenly, midsummer, I remember how warm the night was, and how still the night was, when the first screams started echoing from the gates. It was just six mounted horsemen, barbarians from the far south. Scouts. They slew the man that spotted them with poison arrows and fled. But even from the gates of the town, we could see the army advancing. A horde. A true barbarian horde. So we fled. The entire town gathered what we could and fled upstream. The trek was arduous, Brian was 5, and didn't make it more than a few days. He wasn't the only child to die.

The day he died, something inside me broke.

I trudged on, not really... there, entirely. Our flight lasted a month, and took us up into the Tears of the Goddess, the mountains to our north. But a small warband that had been perusing us was relentless, they must have broken off the main horde looking for easy loot and slaves. They crashed into us like a tidalwave of steel. I resigned myself to die. I remember flashes of it. Jeremy, the mayors oldest son, trying to fight off a mountain of a man armed only with a quarterstaff. The splash of fresh blood spraying me as someone died on top of me. It was... too much. Something in me that had lain dormant for years, awoke again. I called on all the powers I had learned. But I had been but an apprentice. Were I a Scholar, I would have toppled the mountainside on them, bathed them in fire, but all I had were feeble spells. I consumed the man infront of me in flame. I called vines to entangle another. It was not nearly enough. These men had seen war and sorcery before. The slaughter continued. An arrow hit me in the gut. I felt the poison course through my veins.

The culmination of a life of failure, to die a failure. But something in the far reaches of my mind whispered to me. Whispered secrets I'd forgotten. Whispered to forget the Vows I had made, to call upon the power of the Void, to tangle with the Threads. As consciousness slipped from me, I did the only thing I could. I agreed. I felt it in my mind, the idea. The poison in my veins was trivial, a simple change and I could no longer feel it burning me up. The dead around me, they were tools, tools to be used, a weapon to be weilded. I spoke, and they rose as one, clutching and grabbing and ripping and tearing. This the barbarians had not seen before. I stood, having mended the wound in my gut, and watched them driven before my power. For the first time in my life, I wasn't helpless.

But what I had done was utterly forbidden. The legion would have my head, and the head of any who harbored me. The hatred in my wife's eyes was more painful, in some ways, than anything I had experience before. I left the tattered remains of the caravan, although I shadowed them, guarding them. The sorcery I had practiced, it had changed me, changed me in irrevocable ways. I understood now, how all the anatomy and medicine I had learned applied, now, better than ever before, I could heal and fix. In my mind, I fashioned myself a Vivimancer, a stark contrast to the label others would put on me.

So I made my home in solitude, in the center of a forest, watching over the community were my old town had merged and joined. Protecting it from those who would do it harm. I would sneak in at night to heal the ill and wounded, or to put to rest those I could not help. With me there, Icecap was protected.

If this were where my story ended, I would consider it a happy ending, but the story has one more sordid chapter.

The Legion learned of my whereabouts. They came for me. I fought them, I had not lived this long, only to die to them. They sent a dozen men, men experienced in fighting sorcery. But they'd never faced a Vivimancer before. They couldn't overpower me. I... I'm not proud of it, but I destroyed them utterly. I, a fool, always a fool, figured that to protect Icecap, I should flee. So I did, the eyes of beasts keeping an eye on Icecap. An entire legion, led by a Scholar, arrived, and put them to the sword. Had I not been a drat fool, I would have seen the need to protect them from their own. I turned. I had no reason to flee anymore. I don't think, at that point, I was human anymore. So I did battle with the Legion. For a week, the dead fought the living, till I could fight no more. The last thing I remember are the features of the same Scholar from my youth, standing over me...

[hr]

A name - Azyr Hollow

A Picture - See top of page!

Description - Azyr is middle aged, but his face has the chiseled features of an old man. Withered by suffering, his hair has gone white early, and his build is slim, and in the cold of Icecap, he was forced to wear a full body cloak to keep the heat in. Despite his features and the wrinkles of worry, Azyr has a warm smile, a smile that reaches his eyes. He is also prone to get an intense look of interest when listening to someone else speak.

Who were you in your old world? - See backstory above.

Mortal Qualities
Learned [+2] - Used to: Have knowledge of basic physics, anatomy, and mathematics, some chemistry (filled with misinformation), and general knowledge. A lot of completely useless history of Azyr's old world, but it might be relevant if he has to find analogues to things in this world. The result of too much time spent buried in books

Vivimancer [+4] - Used to: Heal and cure, animate corpses with a false semblance of life (via neurological stimulation), synthesize poison magically, alter the qualities of living beings. In general, used to dabble with life forces. The inter-universe transition however may have dimmed the amount of power available to Azyr as is appropriate to keep him in line, in the past this power allowed him to remove almost any disease and heal most injuries, speed up his metabolism, make zombies, and control animals.

Divine Domain
Death [+2] - Power over the dead and dying. Power over souls and their transition from life to death. Before Azyr didn't really believe in souls. Now he can see them, bind them to dead bodies, speak to them. True necromancy so to speak.

Drawback - Redemption at any cost [-2] - While Azyr affects a cultivated indifference, he is hardly a cold man. Azyr is full of empathy and sympathy and wants nothing more than to be redeemed in his own eyes. Azyr is likely to bite of more than he can chew in his quest for redemption. The more lost the cause, the more likely he is to personally identify with it. Invoke this when Azyr would do something prudent, like not side with the downtrodden, or avoid angering a group of slavers.

What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for. What do you want your character to accomplish, what sort of things do you enjoy?

For me, this is about personal stories in the context of dramatic change. I want to see Azyr find redemption, as well as become a force for change in the world. I'm looking for opportunity to see characters grow, and develop. For me this is as much about the personal stories as it is about the changing world.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 6, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

TheCog posted:

Are we doing teaser pictures?

I am, whether others follow my trend or not is up to them!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Q: Who were you in your old world?

Princeps Adamas Lord Aurelian

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

"Adamas triumphant!" Shouted the messenger. The burgeoning kingdom of Cretus would expand again this day. The war had taken years, but peace would reign on the island nation once more. The negotiations breaking down before an agreement could be made wasn't usual. Adamas usually could charm anyone. But it was all over now as festivals took over the city.

An army of Adamas' finest sons marched ahead under the victory arches, with slaves from Gelt shambling in chains behind them. The procession was long and it was glorious. The people cheered, and the sun shone upon a leader destined for greatness. Empire. The rumors that the war was based on Adamas' insulting the foreigners was a faint whisper. The man riding before the assembled peoples was a titan among men. Tall, strong, and shrewd beyond measure. The embodiment of a great leader. The people showed their appreciation by throwing the petals of flowers and shouting their joy. The march wound its way around the city as Princeps Adamas waved, his strong visage an example to the people...

It was the dogs that started it. Adamas stopped the procession. His head cocked at an odd angle. "Kill. The. Dogs."

His soldiers looked at him in askance. "But great Dominus...they are our people we can't-"

"KILL THE DOGS!" He shouted. The soldiers moved to obey as the crowd shank back in terror. "NO NO NO!" The Princeps shouted pointing down the alleyway. "Kill the dogs..."

The strays barked in the alley amongst the garbage. "Kill all the dogs. I command it!" Something came over everyone. It was as if they themselves couldn't disobey. This had been happening often as of late, perhaps the madness was infectious. The orders passed to the men and throughout the city as all dogs were put to death. The fires burned brightly into the night, a few citizens had made a fuss about losing their dogs and had been put to the sword.

Later...
Adamas sat in his palace watching the fires burn.

Senator Cassius nudged his arm. Adamas sighed. "I know how this looks Cassius. I'm fine. Really." Adamas could feel the disapproval. "What? I negotiated the treaties with all the others, it was a slip. Nothing more." Cassius silently disapproved as Adamas tried to explain. "The dogs were plotting Cassius. I am a great man and have made enemies. Did not my stratagems reduce the Gelts into full flight in the Hills of Jetta? Did I not cow the Mentittes into bowing before us and giving tribute? Things were so clear in the old days. My head. My heart. Nay. I am not wrong..."

The Princeps looked into the night. His elite guard said nothing. Knowing his moods.

Cassius said nothing.

Adamas turned to look at Cassius. But he had clopped off to another section of the palace in disgust, whinnying in disapproval.

Reveal Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLegSgWi0cI

Description: Adamas is the ruler of his small kingdom of Cretus on the world of Chea, a dimension 5 times removed from The World. There is magic and monsters but they are rare and mostly whispered about and far from civilized lands. Seers and mystics of the gods of the elements are respected. It is a fool who ignores the gods. A man of the people, Adamas had humble beginnings. He distinguished himself in battle, eventually gaining enough support and promotions to general of multiple legions of men. A brilliant strategist and clever statesman, he garnered enough support in the senate to be elected ruler of Cretus in the absence of any heirs to the throne. Many years of shrewd diplomacy and battles saw the small kingdom soon grow to envelop the large island it occupied. After his gift made itself manifest to Adamas he had a stark rise in other kings surrendering to him even with the harshest of terms or joining the kingdom of Cretus. His word seemed to be enough to lay low even the greatest of enemies to his homeland.

Many thought he would be the leader of legend to bring them all to greatness, his "gift" (only known to him) for bringing his desires into fruition (his command)...came at a price.

His mind was sometimes not clear. Perhaps it was his twisting of fate of what was into what he desired. Maybe it was that very desire which warped perception and reduced his clarity. He usually could go many seasons without any issues, but who knew what the future might hold.

pre:
Mortal Qualities

Statesman          [+2]: Used for Negotiations, Treaties, charismatically getting what he wants.

General            [+4]: Used For when negotiations break down unfortunately. War. Conflict. Fights.

New:Psychological Manipulation[+2]

Divine Qualities:

Command            [+2]: At its weakest it gets people to do exactly what he wants in the short term. (short being relative). It could be grown to not be so short termed or abandoned later.
Slavery +2

Drawback:

Bouts of Madness   [-2]: This will be a fun drawback, possibly slightly detrimental at times. But that makes for a good drawback.
New: I AM GOD -2: Anyone failing to show him the proper respect or deference will grate on his nerves and distract him or you can invoke it to have him freak out at said disrespect.

Inventory of interesting things:
None

People:
priests: Can wield Commands that are basically weaker versions of Aurelian's, though they sort of intuitively understand how to use the Golden Command effectively. They can also claim those who accept his dominion in their heart of hearts, though they must be in physical contact to do so.

Karl: Powers are different, he can basically instantly see the most effective way to break a person at first glance, be that way magical or mundane. He can also issue Commands, but he cannot brand the souls of your slaves as the other priests can.

Places:
1 county

Q: What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for.
A: Interact with the different people and lands, some good roleplaying with cool bros.

Q: What do you want your character to accomplish?
A: He will likely try to carve out his own place in the world, bring people to know his magnificence and charms. A king definitely.

Q: What sort of things do you enjoy?
A: Playing to the theme and archetype of my character, interactions with others doing the same. Building a sandcastle in this sandbox, discovering adventures and mysteries.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 9, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
David Wells
AKA That Horrible Monster!

David was a fairly decent person. He did not go to church overly much and never really believed in God or the Devil, but he did his best to be kind to other people. While he did not do volunteer work, he did donate to charities and was helpful to people around him. Everyday kindness and good manners. His work was not particularly noteworthy, he worked an office job in a medical insurer. Sometimes he felt bad about how his company would treat the poorer customers but he was just a small cog in the machine and no one would pay him much attention. He had a dog called Rusty who was a Border Collie and he loved very dearly. She wasn't moving as much these days but still had a few years in her. He played in the local soccer team, David wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either.

All in all there was little that was outstanding or made David Wells stand out compared to everyone else around him. Which didn't bother him that much really considering that he was happy in life. One night he had been feeling a bit off during the day, but it got pretty bad in the evening. He had a terrible head ache, and his stomach churned with acid that burned like fire. He took some antacid, asprin and went to bed to sleep it off.

Waking up as a 8ft tall demonic figure was an unpleasant surprise and shock.

Mortal Qualities
Hexes [+4] - some would call them curses, other hexes, but ultimately it's all the same thing. Some twist of fate or compulsion will affect the target of this spell until the condition is fulfilled, David wills the hex to end or the target dies. Maybe a thief will be compelled to give away all that they steal, or a con artist finds all their schemes turn sour until they look for honest work. A hatemonger might be only able to speak in tongues until they do charitable deeds. Or maybe an attacker will trip and fall on their sword, or at the very least injure themselves. Luck and witchery can make a person's life very inconvenient or miserable even if they're less flashy than a fireball or impressive as flying.

Illusion [+2] - illusions are useful when your very appearance causes panic and mobs to form. Visual illusions, or illusions that affect a single sense only are simpler compared to complex illusions that affect sight, smell, sound and touch or any combination. But David's illusions can also affect other things or people, which in conjunction with his hexes could create some terrible curses indeed.

Divine Domain
Strength [+2] - David's new form is as strong or even mightier than Hercules was in legend. A simple and raw power perhaps, but one that is easily used, felt and noticed regardless. Good for lifting and moving heavy things, forcing open doors and...if needed to pound or beat up people and creatures.

Drawback
Demonic Visage [-2] - there's not really any way of getting around the fact David now has the body of a demon, or at least what would pass for one back home. It's not reassuring, and people tend to assume you are evil or at least not a nice person when your skin is blood red, your tail has barbed spikes and you have wicked horns and fangs.

David is a nice person, he's not a saint but he's trapped in a bad situation. I want to explore him trying to deal with that and see how he grows. Maybe he'll have his goodness worn away by the world and embrace the role his form leads to, or maybe he'll turn it around and change people's perceptions. At the start I would prefer less state and cult-building and have a more personal journey, but that will probably change as the game goes on.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2015

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Gannet

Q: Who were you in your old world?
A: The Northern Gannet is the largest member of the Sulidae family. They are among the fastest seabirds in the world, in a stoop. They are unparalleled hunters of fish, well adapted for short bursts of the aquatic environment. They fall like spears from the sky, sinking through the frigid waters to impale their prey.

Gannet is one such creature. In the old world, he was no paragon of birdhood - not especially large or clever, currently without a mate. But here? In this strange, warm world? He finds his mind opening to strange new ideas. Strange new words. His prey does not fear him - he gorges, grows large and powerful. He feels curiosity blooming within him. He will find his place in this world.

quote:

Mortal Qualities
Aquatic Hunter [+2]: Gannet is at home in frigid waters, diving and swimming and hunting. He is expert at retrieving food and nourishment in hostile environments.
Flight [+4]: Gannet is a swift and powerful flier. He is expert and swooping in for the attack or escaping if the going gets too tough. He's learned many tricks in his time, also - they can be quite impressive, especially given his great size, now.

Divine Qualities:
Precision [+2]: Northern Gannets strike their prey unerringly at high speeds, accounting for changes in direction, speed, and water refraction. They never miss. As a nascent divinity, this has grown to supernatural levels - Gannet can strike the smallest target every time, without fail. He could also, for example, assemble a watch expertly, given proper instructions, and have it function at an unparalleled level of precision. He could just as easily disassemble one for the same reasons.

Drawback:
Birdbrained [-2]: Whatever he has become - or is becoming - he is first and foremost a bird. Easily distracted, easily startled, and victim to his baser urges to hunt, to fly, and to find a mate. To use the watch example again, while he could build or disassemble a clockwork, he wouldn't understand the base principles or remember how to build one from scratch.

Q: What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for.
A: Learn about the land and interact with the other players, while expanding and growing as a character.

A: He (and I) are strangers in this world and to the game system itself. I want us both to grow and change dramatically, and I want him to become something entirely different and strange from his initial state as a bird. I'm hoping to expand his portfolio in unexpected and unusual ways. I don't plan or expect to be a driving force in the world; planning him to be a more alien or trickster force. Gradually, I want him to grow into his godhood and try to do some good in the world.

A: Unexpected changes or mutations, helping others in unusual ways. Learning and exploring and discovering secrets.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Maybe I will finally get into a game :D

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Winston Smithers

Theme

"...and the third group, thus sentenced and found guilty of the crime of Grand Treason due to theft, shall now face their execution via essence reaving. Long live The Dominion!

Winston did not need to look up at the massive screen adorning the drab and gray skyscraper that passed for a habitation hub in The Dominion to recognize the shrill voice of his local judicator. The steady chant of official slogans by the audience and the low whir of the essence crucible as it ripped the very souls of the perpetrators apart to form base magical reagents had become so banal during the years that it did not even arouse his attention much anymore. He merely marched to his local transit node, entered the 7.30 lev-train to the golem manufactory and sat on his assigned seat (the 6th left aisle seat in the 3rd car, for the curious). As he did every day.

Around him were others in the identical green robes of Dominon manufactory craft-mages, sitting silently with stoic non-expressions adorning their faces. Not that there was much need for words anyhow. There was not much to talk about in the Dominion after all, for nothing ever changed. There had not been any enemies for a thousand years, Winston knew, for the Golem Legions and the Transwarp Navy had brought Order to the last barbarian planes long ago. Neither was there societal strife, for all the newborn were taken by The Dominion, and likewise taught by The Dominion. Taught their place; the rebellious culled.

Winston was an overseer at the local golem manufactory. It was the purpose The Dominion had assigned him at birth, and it was what he had been taught. It was what he knew, and it was what he did. Day after day. He did not mind, for such thoughts had been weeded out of him ages ago.

Such was the life of Winston, and so it would remain. At least that is what he had thought, until the day he turned a familiar corner but found himself... elsewhere.

Winston looked around. There was a distinct lack of properly built infrastructure in this new place. Nor was there a single guardian drone, propaganda poster or Dominion overwatch patrol in sight.

No. This would not do at all.

quote:

Mortal Qualities
Organized [+6]: Winston has dealt with an oppressive and strictly regimented totalitarian regime his entire life. Paperwork and organization are second nature to him.

Divine Qualities
Artifice [+2]: Winston dealt with golems as a mortal. His aptitude towards magical constructs seems to have followed him into godhood.

Drawback
Rigid Upbringing [-2]: Having lived in a monoculture where everything is done The One Proper Way, Winston feels a very profound loathing towards all other methods of doing things and is deeply xenophobic and suspicious of other cultures.

Nice character interplay. Also, I want to build an army of magic robits and do some nice empire building. That sort of thing.

Winston will probably try and find some way to A: Contact The Dominion, B: Bring them over after finding out how to make their magitech armies stable in this realm. Your standard TAKE OVER THE WORLD endgame goal. At least, that is his initial motivation. Maybe he will grow as a character and go for something less antagonistic.

A good time with the other players. A lack of cheese and unnecessary drama. Gameplay-wise, I'd like to carve my own niche and mold the game world in a large scale.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 9, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Not gonna lie, a non-sentient character is a bridge too far. I really don't like this concept, and will probably not pick it. I encourage you to app something else. Also just as a general note, even if I was ok with the concept this character would need some work. Your mortal qualities are perhaps a bit too specialized, combined with your very abstract divine domain, I can think of quite a few situations where your character would be unable to do anything. This is something I generally want to discourage because it pidgeonholes me as a GM to only being able to put you in very specific locations and situations, and it makes it more likely you'll end up having a bad time playing.

I definitely encourage you to go back to the drawing board, because the concept is certainly novel and outside the box and I'd like to see what you come up with that is a bit more workable.

Theantero posted:

Winston Smithers

I like your 1984 reference, but as a warning if you are picked there is no way you will be able to contact your home dimension, and doubly no way you will be able to invite them to the gameworld. To sort of let you behind the curtain, having characters be from foreign worlds is primarily a device to deny them knowledge of the gameworld and create a feeling of culture-shock. It also lets people have some more flexibility in who they can apply as well, which is another plus. Under pretty much no circumstance am I going to let any player connect to or bring more stuff from their home dimension.

Also, I am a bit concerned that your guy is just going to go all Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with a facade of magitech. Can you give me some examples of what you'd do with Artifice?

You're certainly free to keep it as a character motivation as long as you are fully aware it will not succeed.

Two new general rules to prevent future confusion:
  • Characters must have been sentient prior to the start of the game. If you app an animal or an inanimate object I will not pick you.
  • Characters will not be able to contact or travel to or from their original world.

If people want advice or have questions I'm on irc in #ohgod, feel free to drop by and ask me questions.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Valhawk posted:

Not gonna lie, a non-sentient character is a bridge too far. I really don't like this concept, and will probably not pick it. I encourage you to app something else. Also just as a general note, even if I was ok with the concept this character would need some work. Your mortal qualities are perhaps a bit too specialized, combined with your very abstract divine domain, I can think of quite a few situations where your character would be unable to do anything. This is something I generally want to discourage because it pidgeonholes me as a GM to only being able to put you in very specific locations and situations, and it makes it more likely you'll end up having a bad time playing.

I definitely encourage you to go back to the drawing board, because the concept is certainly novel and outside the box and I'd like to see what you come up with that is a bit more workable.

Aw, shucks. I was trying to go outside the box, but ended up outside the box factory! I'll see if I can think something else entirely different up instead of trying to rework that concept.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Aldebaran

Aldebaran is a giant of a man (though 'man' is quite the misnomer these days), composed primarily of muscle, sinew, and vicious cunning. His divine influence is obvious, bearing features of the most inhuman denizens of the sea. Gills, fins, an array of tentacles, the vicious teeth of a shark, and a hard, blackened shell on his brow.

Aldebaran was a burlak, hauling barges upriver. It was hard, thankless work and the trade demands ensured that it was never ending. The drovers that oversaw them were merciless, and many of his fellows simply died of exhaustion where they stood, only to be trampled into the mud by the still living. It was often said that the shores of the river were not formed of mud, but of the flesh of the burlak. Even in the winter, work did not cease for Aldebaran. The rivers might be frozen but the whaling ships always had need of sailors. And so Aldebaran's work continued, trading the drudgery of hauling boats for the dangers of the open ocean. Risking foul storms and pirates for the pittance granted a man of his low station, he went about his work silently as his resentment grew. Only the sea granted solace; like his life it was unending, uncaring, giving and taking at a whim. But only because that was its nature. Unlike men, there was no greed or malice behind it. He could respect that.

Weary and bone tired, he collapsed into his hammock one evening, and awoke a different man. Some might have been horrified at this, but he simply accepted it with the same grim stoicism that he accepted everything in his life. The hows and whys do not matter.

pre:
Mortal Qualities
Divine Body [+10]: Aldebaran does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. He is stronger, faster, and tougher than any human.

Divine Qualities:
Oceans [+4]: Power over the seas and the things that dwell within it.
Strength [+2]: Raw power, and the ability to reinforce things into mightier forms.
Slavery [+2]: Stealing men's souls and making them slaves.

Drawback:
Vengeful [-2]: Aldebaran cannot forgive an insult or ignore disrespect. Those who he feels have wronged him or his goddess must be made to pay, at any cost.
Deeply Enthralled [-6]: Aldebaran is absolutely dedicated to his queen, Maia. She has but to ask and it will be done, with no hesitation.
A: A bit of a darker angle - not grimdark, everything-sucks-forever nonsense, but skewing closer to Conan the Barbarian than Lord of the Rings. A bit of Sunless Sea and Bloodborne-esque weirdness.

A: Become a figure of fear and respect, command an armada of eldritch horrors and half-mad cultists, tame a kraken to unleash on my foes. Maybe get into a knife fight with a god-whale?

A: Tough choices, surprising twists of fate, that sort of thing. Flavorful NPCs to interact with. Clashing and collaborating with the other players.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 16, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fhaevendor The Fair - "Fae" for short I didn't even plan that but look how well the name shortened. A good omen!

Description - Fhaevendor the Fair, as any fool can see, is slender, graceful, and beautiful. An 11 out of 10 on the hotness scale. So basically your typical high elf. Towering over most people at a comfortable 6'6" she further accentuates her long, elegant legs with 6" heels. What self-respecting female warrior wouldn't? Normally her face is lit by an expression of unearthly joy but ever since arriving here she's been frowning a lot. She might even develop wrinkles; horror of horror.

Who were you in your old world? - One of the Firstborn, Fae awakened, fully formed on the shores of Cuiviénen before even the sun and moon were formed. She traveled to Valinor and there learned to hunt from the Ainur in their heavenly woods. Fae was among the exiles who swore to hunt down the evil that lurked beyond the sheltered paradise and after many long centuries of war and peace was at last allowed to return to the heavenly realm of Valinor. Her long awaited reward was a nothing less than a return to infinite perfection. Then one night she closed her eyes to rest and remember those she had fought beside and loved in the mortal world. There had been good times then, but she did not regret returning to Valinor where everything was so lovely. The next moment she woke up. Here. In a different mortal realm. She had been ripped from the bosom of her god and sent out into the wider world again. Ugh. At least this time she know how to get back. One; find the bad guy. Two; Kill him or it. In the meantime, tutor the natives in the proper ways of living. Most importantly of all - don't die. Those who died in the mortal realms died forever and never returned to Valinor. The dying part wasn't so bad, she'd had a few near death experiences in her centuries of war, but being forever separated from the gentle beauty of the Ainur would be unbearable. I know she'll never return to Valinor, but she doesn't realize that yet.

Mortal Qualities
Calaquendi (High Elf) +6 Tolkieniestic high elf. Centuries old warrior that not only looks better than a super model but who was ridiculously powerful when she first arrived on mortal shores. Armed with a wide array of plot convenient powers like healing, mysterious elf magic, the ability to walk on snow and shoot the wings off a mosquito while doing a barrel roll on top of an actual barrel going over a waterfall with orcs hurling axes at her from all around. Sadly her sword and bow didn't make the transition so she'll have to make do with local, i.e. inferior, weapons. Ugh, how unfair. Although ageless, she is technically mortal and can be killed.

Divine Domain
Rings +2: Fae has discovered an unnatural affinity and disturbing fondness for rings. Given a little time to work with she can enchant a ring with whatever power she needs. For the moment, she loses all control over the rings once they leave her possession but she hopes to work out alternative to that in time. So this power is super broad. It'll be "balanced" by the ability of people to take her rings away and needing time to make the rings so she can't whip out a brand new ring in the middle of a negotiation.

Drawback
Imperfect in every way -2: She spent a long time in paradise, a paradise she'd earned according to the Ainur, the angels. She's finding living in a mortal world again to be something of a shock and is rarely pleased with the quality of anything in this world. Very definitely including the people and the primitive social structures they scrape out a meager survival within. She's pretty sure they can do better; and is more than willing to show them how. Whether they want her to or not.

What do you want out of the game? I want to settle in to one of the civilizations and help them defend themselves against outside threats. Or recover land that was taken from them in the wars of the previous generation. If the civilization has a few warts, that's okay. Even the primitive civilizations the natives have established are better than starving because the family hunter couldn't find any cute little Bambi dears to kill and eat this week. Then again, I'm pretty sure everyone knows how giving an elf the desire to remake the world and magic rings is going to turn out, don't we. Especially if the locals get too uppity about accepting her help.

The tech levels of Tolkien's elves isn't that high so I don''t plan on introducing any disruptive technologies.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Lord Minister Damien Maurice Talleyrand-Gantrithor - "Talleyrand" or, to the less intelligent races "The Tally Man"

Description - Talleyrand is a tall, slim, pale personage, typically dressed in the resplendent fineries of his home kingdom. He is fearsome and welcoming in equal measure, his narrow gaze equally likely to suggest boundless opportunity or certain ruination. Of course, he is an elf, though perhaps not the sort of elf one would find in this world.

Who were you in your old world? - Did the elves survive because of their inbred kings and queens? Their tiny military? Outdated and petty magics? No, at least, not according to Lord Minister Talleyrand. In his estimation, it was his diplomacy, economic development plans, and sophisticated trade agreements that kept the elves as a leading race even when their population and military strength dwindled. Thousands of years old, his political contacts, experience in various machinations, and economic aptitude kept Elven society viable. But now, in a new world, with his contacts and position gone, what will he do? What will his goal even be?

The other races viewed him as an arrogant calculator, schemer, exploiter. But, had their people been in the same position, and they equipped with the same capabilities, they would perhaps have done the same. But who can say? And that world, at least from Talleyrand's perspective, appears to be gone.

Mortal Qualities
Charisma +4 Unbelievably persuasive, The Tally Man seems to say what one was already thinking, suggest what one already wanted, propose a bargain that would certainly be in his opponent's favor; And yet, in the end, the other races have learned that all things seem to fall in the Tally Man's favor, regardless of what he appears to give up in exchange.
Talented Economist +2 Trade negotiations and economic development plans and related things were the basis of Talleyrand's old job as Prime Minister. His understanding of economics extends to the point where it is useful and beneficial to those who listen; At least, when that is his intention.

Divine Domain
Growth +2: What is the essence of life and the opposite of stagnation? What is it that makes existence itself vibrant and dynamic? What is it the elves sought to avert their fall? Growth is the domain of expansion, development, increase, and evolution; It is opposed to death, stagnation, and all forms of decrease and mitigation, but it must be applied carefully, as things can grow beyond even a God's control.

Drawback
That Characteristic Smugness We Know So Well -2: Talleyrand tends to believe he has all relevant information and is the one in control of the situation; Making this belief false is key to defeating or outwitting him.

What do you want out of the game? My favorite characters from past godgames tended to be the ones who were social yet disruptive, non-combative yet tended to complicate situations; The sneaky diplomats and lovable tricksters. Talleyrand will attempt to gain power and influence primarily through offering peaceful benefits and socialization. I want a big sandbox with a diverse array of mysteries and societies to interact with.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Be still my beating heart. An app will go here.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Valhawk posted:

Also, I am a bit concerned that your guy is just going to go all Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with a facade of magitech. Can you give me some examples of what you'd do with Artifice?

Right, that was something I tried to keep in mind what with that whole 'you cannot invent a steam engine' thing, and I have no intention of trying to cheese that with a 'well it is a MAGICAL steam engine so it doesn't count :smug:' type of thinking. I specified a golem factory in the blurb because straight-up magically animated golems of various materials, maybe also more standard magical items and mundane infrastructure building are what I'd go with after Winston realizes most of the constructs he is familiar with don't function.

Also, I'm totally fine with the 'no extraplanar reinforcements' clause. That is the first thing Winston would try, since he has never lived outside The Dominion and feels weird with not having it around, but after he gives up he just might try and construct a simulacrum of it instead. Well-organized cities with strict rules and golems keeping the law and punishing the populace for theft/jaywalking/thoughtcrime seems like something I'd try to make.

To be honest, at first I was going to go with that judicator I mentioned at the beginning of my blurb with a 'law' based divine power, but I realized that the way I would use it in practise would be pretty similar to Adamas' Command, and I didn't want to step on any toes :v:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
EDIT: To the drawing board!

Bugger i'm out of ideas. Good luck to the other applications.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 9, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Scrapped, new app coming.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
"Ah, comrade! What are you doing, you should be at the party!"

"...Ah, those. Careful with them! They're all I have left, you know. Them and the others."

"Ah, and you thought I was joking when I said I came from another world! You should know better by now, comrade. Some things are not for joking. ...It is difficult to explain. Have I told this story?"

"Not so long ago, I was part of a great army, defending my homeland from a demonic invader. They saw us as no better than slaves, worthless. The feeling was mutual! So we fought. In our fields, in our forests, in our cities, we fought them. Though they were reduced to ruin--anything, to stop the invaders.

"I went to sleep, one night, in one set of ruins. And I woke up in another, one I had never seen before in my life. That was... chyort, ten miles from here? Ten miles and ten lifetimes... Anyway. I wandered around, completely lost, when I blundered into Ohchek over there. At that time, of course, he was leading his bandits, picking the bones of the caravan routes, and they think me just another hapless idiot with deep pockets. Started pointing swords at me and shouting in languages I'd never heard before, and understood perfectly."

"Ha! I was just as confused. So, of course, he has a sword, he's threatening me. I raise my gun and shoot him. No, I know you don't know what that is. It's in that box over there. As far as I can tell, it's in perfect condition. Doesn't work. Didn't work then, either! Neither did the grenades I threw at the bastards. They think I'm actually a threat at that point, of course, throwing metal rocks the size of apples, so they stop loving around. At that point I realize that nothing is working, and I'm going to die. So I decide to die singing--I started to sing the national anthem. Maybe it would intimidate them, or at least make for a good story."

"Well, no, of course not. As soon as I started singing they all stopped trying to kill me. By the time I'm done, some of the bastards are singing along! Hah hah... you know, the girls always told me I had a magical voice, but this was something else, no? So I sing my way into supper, and they start following me around and telling me where to go in exchange for my singing."

"It's wonderful! But I won't pretend I don't miss home. I'll find a way back, one day--that's how all the best bylinas end, with the hero returning to his homeland. But until then, I keep my home in my heart... and my photographs in my chest."

"So put the drat things back and get out to the party, eh?! We have a long way to go tomorrow, we may as well enjoy it now!"

= = =
Marko Krepostnoy

Mortal Qualities

A True Soviet! [+4]: Uniting all the world in brotherhood! Marko has an inborn knack for camraderie and finding common ground, and the experiences to sympathize with just about anyone. He can make a friend in minutes (or an enemy in one sentence) and has always loved talking to people, traveling, fighting injustice and seeking adventure--a true bogatyr!

Hardy Stock [+2]: They build soldiers tough in Soviet Russia. Militarily trained and raised as a farmer's son, Marko has plenty of muscle and stamina to go around, and while he's not that good with a sword, bayonet training means that he hasn't been completely robbed of his ability to stand fast in the face of his enemies!

Conscript [-2]: No matter which way you look at him, Marko is... unsophisticated. He stands out in a noble ballroom or on a military parade ground like a donkey, and his wit and tongue are as undisciplined as his fighting style. While commonsense-strong, he's also only mostly literate and largely unintelligent--though this is very different from stupid or slow. Some would say he would never be destined to rise above the ranks of the common worker... but destiny is a funny thing.

Divine Qualities

Music [+2]: Marko was always decent with the accordion, mediocre on the guitar, and exceptional when singing. Since appearing... wherever he is, however, his talents appear to be increasing. Songs become memorized as soon as they're heard, instruments become mastered in the span of a week, and the very sound of his voice or his playing is starting to have... interesting effects on anyone who can hear it, let alone understand it.

= = =

What do you want out of the game? An adventure! To write a great epic, to explore the land, to right wrongs and carve out a happy ending. If this means making stupid decisions to throw myself in harm's way for a good reason, bring it on! If it involves clashing with other gods, stroppy local governors, or hideous things from beyond the world, so be it! If it means I get my rear end kicked and have to beg for mercy along the way, that's fine too! All such things are part of the greatest tales. I don't have anything particularly in mind yet, I'll roll with the punches as dealt.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 9, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Khagan
Theme: Cirque Du Soleil - Pursuit

Silk-cloth robes. A headdress of feathers. Cloth strips tied with bells, to catch the wind as it passes. In the world I once knew, these were the trappings of a holy man. I was not a holy man, though I believed myself righteous, once. My crimes were too many to count, though none but the gods could see them to take account. But take account they did, and in the end, all the order, all the walls I had allowed myself to become complacent in did not protect me when traitorous hands used their abominable poisons to end the lives of my host and my khan.

But the creators are not without mercy. In my last moments I understood my error. Where I strayed from the road of righteousness. Men are not meant to live in shackles. To visit it upon yourself is reprehensible. To impose it on another, unforgivable. We are made to live under the open sky, without walls, without bounds. In my past life I was a great warrior, keshik to the khan of the fifth steppe. With me you will see freedom, true freedom, to live in the saddle under the open sky, and sow fear in those who would seek to enclose the world in wood and stone.

All are welcome in the host, as long as they are ready to renounce the trappings of false living, and live where would-be masters will fear to tread. The wind shall be our succor in peace and our ally in war. You shall hunt where we hunt, and you shall ride where we ride.

Mortal Qualities

Keshik Lord [+4]: The man now known only as the Khagan was once a great horse archer and lieutenant to a khan in his world, a world where the mounted hosts have overcome the walls and castles of their enemies. Once, he was part of a host that carved out an empire that spanned his world. In this one, he will carve out another.

A Leader By Example [+2]: The Khagan lived a time of idleness once. Now he burns with the fervor of one determined not to repeat his mistakes, and he leads by example. This makes him an inspiring presence among his followers both in times of quiet and upon the battlefield, for in him they see everything they wish they would be.

Live Behind No Walls [-2]: The complacency of civilization was the chain that the Khagan perceives as having led to his first downfall. He brooks no comfort to himself or to his followers, and his camps bear no fences. Captives are unknown, and those caught meet only death, exile, or freedom, as the khans see fit. Many call this unwise - but to the Khagan, this is the sacrifice that must be made.

Divine Qualities

Wind [+2]: In this world the Khagan has found he has won the favour of the Wind - wherever he goes, the wind flows to his advantage, and his horses are swift without equal. Arrows bury themselves between plates of armour, and his foes' arrows soar over his head, carried away on sudden drafts. Stone walls come apart under vicious tornadoes, and gentle winds betray the host's enemies to their sentries. It is this that the Khagan deems proof of his rightness, and it is this that turns him from a would-be warlord into a power capable of toppling kingdoms.

What do I want out of this game?: To carve out a chunk of the setting and change it, whether that's through conquest or more peaceful means. Though with this character, I guess it's conquest, haha. But yeah, mostly interested in having the chance to explore and create a big change in the setting.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Since we are doing theme songs, I suppose Winston needs one too :v:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Let's try another tact, WIP

Wilma Weedlestem, Halfling Adventurer

Description -

FAMOUS AUTHOR-ADVENTURER WILMA WEEDLESTEM GOES MISSING
---
Daring Do Well Wilma last seen leaving Greyhaven-By-Sea on skiff for the Lost Continent.
---
"I'll be back for Hogswatch" reputed to be the last message she had sent to a concerned husband.
---

Famous Explorer and Halfling folk hero Wilma Weedlestem, author of the 'What I Did On My Summer Vacation' series of books, reputed to be some of the best and most comprehensive guides to exploring in Astoria has as of Tuesday the Tenth in the year of the Martial Stoat, been confirmed as missing and presumed dead by the Mayor of Woodland Dale, reporters have found.

The famous hero had recently left by one man skiff well provisioned and equipped with the intention of discovering lost continent in the far west, a undertaking that has been tried and mostly failed by many explorers in the past. When we spoke to Dockmaster Gavin Ernst, in Greyhaven, he had this to say, "At first, we received weekly carrier pigeons citing updates on her journey and from what we gathered she was doin' fine; no real problems, provisions were keeping, she even found a previously undiscovered islet but it had nothing on it. But as of last week a huge bloody storm had swept through the region, appearing almost out of nowhere it seemed, and it's been at least 3 weeks since the last pigeon."

Sailors and fishermen on the far anchor isles in the west have been asked to keep an eye out for the wayward adventurer, but the search is looking grim with no sign of the boat for miles around the storm after it passed. It is feared by friends and family at home that Wilma will not in fact, be home for Hogswatch.

MEANWHILE, SOMEWHERE

In a calm sea, there was a boat, at least, what was left of a boat. It was short a mast; several planks, and there was a very disheveled looking halfling, clinging onto what supplies that weren't washed overboard when a storm seemed to appear right out of nowhere on top of her, and made a mess of what was up until that point, an uneventful voyage.

'Things, quite possibly couldn't get worse from this point.' Though Wilma, pushing some wet hair out of her eyes to look through a telescope. 'I mean, I'm not exactly dead, and I'm not in a calm area of sea, so presumably the currents are going to take me somewhere. Yes, no worries, I might not quite get there as intended, or where I intended, but I think I might actually reach the lost continent. I will probably need to learn how to make myself a new boat though. Although, I think starving out at sea seems more likely'

'It doesn't have to be.' Said a voice very suddenly, which made Wilma jump ever so slightly.

'Hmm, right, yes, you are right... Voice in my head, I'm not going mad again am I? It was bad enough with that business in the Kobe desert-'

'No, think of this as, a moment of clarity, brought on by a little fermented fish and quite possibly some divine intervention. You are going to be very shortly landing on a new shore, it won't be the one you aimed for but, well let's say it will be an adventure, that's what you rode out for sea for isn't it? You explored the world and after you did home life just didn't have the same feeling to it, that is why you made this journey in the first place isn't it. Well, my little friend consider your wish granted with a little interest to help you on the way' And with that Wilma's spirits felt suddenly lifted. As was Wilma as her boat suddenly slapped into the shore, and launched her onto the sand.

'Enjoy yourself Wilma Weedlestem. And, try not to get yourself killed, that would be unfortunate'

Mortal Qualities

Adventurous Halfling Rogue [+4]: Adventuring is a profession that generally requires a combination of strength and wits. Halflings have the wits but they don't have that strength, so they make it up with lots of pluck, agility, and a total disregard for the rules, all rules after all are a creation of tall folk, not for the likes of the little people. When you are trekking through an old ruin dodging traps, or fighting off an angry zombie because you were pilfering his treasure, you want the adventurer, and when you are convincing a local tribe to not eat you, or haggling for a good price in a shady inn, you want the Halfling. And when you want to offski from a bad situation, you want a leather kosh filled with lead shot.

Wayfarer's Knowledge [+2]: You don't get to write a series of adventuring guides without picking up a few bits of knowledge on the way. Although most of the expertise is from physical experience, some book reading was done on the way, picking up local customs quickly, knowing what things you can and can't eat, how to find water in a desert and so on. Good stuff to know in a pinch, but the physical stuff applies too.

Divine Domain

Freedom [+2]: Boundries exist for people who aren't certified book writing adventurers. And people who do not carry a set of lockpicks, a length of rope, a leather kosh and Madame T'Sort's Escapology for Beginners in their backpacks at all times. And also people who have been given the spark of divinity ingrained onto them by a long voyage at sea and a possible hallucination of a goddess before washing up shipwrecked on a foreign shore. Doors, knots and locks are no match obviously, but it has other more esoteric uses, the breaking of seals, the undo-ing of slave conditioning, the dispelling of magical bindings, the Freedom Spark doesn't care if it's chains of iron or chains of the Soul, they are as so much sand before unbridled freedom.

Drawback

Youthful Naivety [-2]: Halflings as a rule are not prone to duplicity, or misdirection, or any thing over then straight forward thinking really. So the idea that someone else might be trying to pull one over on you to steal your money and/or do harm to you is very alien to Wilma. Or the idea that a town with no one else in it might have no one else in it for a reason. Or that the reason the forbidden temple that no one has explored exists could possibly be due to anyone who goes exploring that way never returns. Or that the nice people in town never see many strangers around because they have a habit of disappearing in the night and are never seen again except possibly by an old fisherman a few weeks later. But that stuff happens to other people.

What do you want out of the game?

See strange places, meet strange people, write a book about it and try not to die a horrible death in the process. If I can get to all four corners of the land by the end of the game, with all my limbs, some good memories, and maybe avert (or accidentally cause) some disaster along the way I would consider that a result.

If that would involve occasionally meeting other PCs that would be swell. It seems in most of my god games I don't meet other people until much later, I gotta have adventuring companions, even if it's only temporary.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 10, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Xochi

Excerpt from "The Rise and Fall of the Heczihuanti Empire, Vol. IX, Chapter 23"

It takes a very particular combination of decadence, sadism, and arrogance to take an entire race of sentient beings as pets. Unfortunately, these qualities were all quite clearly manifest in Emperor Xochipili, and where goes the emperor, so goes the empire. Contemporary records suggest that it was on a whim that he ordered his court magician, Itzli, to capture and shackle an Atzoatl, and that the reason for his request was less because he actually wanted an Atzoatl, but rather because he wanted to set Itzli an impossible task, that he might have pretext to have him executed (this execution would take place regardless soon after in any case). Itzli proved up to the challenge, however, and so the emperor had his pet.

At this point, it would help to digress from history a moment to discuss the Atzoatl. Though they were clearly intelligent on a level on par with the Heczihuanti, and records indicate that they did have a language and culture of their own, they never established a civilization as historians would recognize it--the only written records of their existence are Heczihuanti in origin. Likely, their lack of limbs was not conducive to the building of empires, nor was their typical river habitat. They were snakelike elementals composed of pure water, were perhaps as long as your arm, and were quite difficult to spot, much less catch. How Itzli caught them is unknown, but pictoral evidence shows that before an Atzoatl was suitable as a pet, it had to be bound with a series of elaborately inscribed shackles, to weaken it and maintain its form.

The emperor was instantly entranced by the beauty of his new pet, and soon took to bringing it with him everywhere. It soon became a status symbol to perpetually have an Atzoatl on one's person, their bindings serving as a sort of horrific fashion statement. Although Xochipili executed Itzli for spreading the secret of the bindings, he took no action against those who had followed his lead, and in fact encouraged the practice. Soon, entirety of the Atzoatl had been captured and bound. Even more unfortunately for them, though, Xochipili's Atzoatl, Xochi, one day vanished without a trace. When it could not be located, Xochipili flew into a rage, and demanded all other Atzoatl be killed. Over the course of but a few years, the Heczihuanti had casually wiped out an entire culture for the sake of a passing fad.

Long Ago, To One Historian

Xochi slithered along in the gutter, the rainfall playfully dropping onto his back, sloshing around him as it carried him onwards. He would be found, he knew. Brought back to the palace and its stuffiness, made to watch the displays of death, lust, and bloodshed with which Xochipili amused himself. But for now, he was outside and in his element, and for a short time at least, he could feel clean and unpolluted again. Without warning, the narrow stone of the gutter tightened around him, and suddenly gave way to raw clay and damp earth. Xochi reared up in shock, and found himself in the midst of a tiny trickle of water in a sea of short yellow grass. No... he looked more closely. What he had thought to be short undergrowth was tall, waving grass. And what he had thought to be a trickle was a stream--and he filled it completely. He considered this for a moment. He was still shackled. Whatever craft Itzli had worked, it did not seem that it could be undone, even by whatever had just transpired. But still... he was free.

Mortal Qualities

Waterborne [+4]: The Atzoatl always had a deep connection with the rivers that were their home, and Xochi is no different. Although he cannot (naturally) control water remotely, is he amorphous, the exact composition of an Atzoatl has always been fluid, and Xochi can manipulate water within his body to accomplish a variety of effects, from healing himself to unleashing devastating focused sprays.

Itzli's Last Words [+2]: Although he was part of a truly monstrous society, and met an untimely demise, Itzli was an unparalleled magician. Although he had initially forged Xochi's current shackles as an extravagant gift as a desperate last hope to regain Xochipili's favor, when his doom became clear to him, he instead used them as a last chance to pass on his knowledge to some far-flung future generation. Countless magical formulas are described within the inscriptions on Xochi's shackles, and some of this knowledge has begun to leak into the elemental's head.

Divine Qualities

God of the Flowing Waters [+2]: Atzoatl were elementals of the rivers, and this is even more true for Xochi now than it was before. He faintly feels a tie to all fresh-waters, from bubbling brook, to mighty river, to life-bringing rain. He can channel and reroute these waters, digging new paths where none existed before, bringing life to once-dry lands. For all that he is strong within his domain, he is not a master of all that is wet--at the river's mouth, where it feeds into the Great Salt, it is as though there is a wall, denying him or his influence passage.

Drawback

Empathy [-2]: Xochi has been forced to bear witness to some of the greatest heights and sheerest depths of decadence. He cannot bear to face such depravity again. He has no stomach for violence (or stomach at all), and finds the idea of harming others to be repellent. Except, perhaps, for the Heczihuanti, but he isn't exactly going to be seeing them any time soon.

What Do You Want Out of the Game?

Can't say I really know! Maybe I'll be the guy that builds the stuff that gets conquered by the other guys. Or who just spends his time remaking a bunch of the starting map. But I think I'd like to go for someone who is perhaps a little less plugged into society--even as a god who is active in his interactions, Xochi probably won't feel like another person to his followers. He is very clearly other.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ok, time for another round of app review. Like last time, if I've talked to you about your app on IRC, I'm not going to repeat it here.

Redeye Flight posted:

Marko Krepostnoy

A True Soviet! [+4]
Hardy Stock [+2]
Conscript [-2]
Music [+2]

Everything seems to be in order. Mortal Qualities are pretty straightforward and look usable. Same with your Domain.

Strong app.

Pingcode posted:

Khagan

Keshik Lord [+4]
A Leader By Example [+2]
Live Behind No Walls [-2]
Wind [+2]

Another good app, its hard to go wrong with an elemental domain, and it fits the character well. Qualities and drawback are also good. I'm glad to be getting lots of good apps. It'll making picking hard.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Xochi

Waterborne [+4]
Itzli's Last Words [+2]
God of the Flowing Waters [+2]
Empathy [-2]

Seems ok. Can you maybe give me some idea on what you'd use Itzli's Last Words[+2] for? Beyond just general arcane knowledge.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Jeff Levitt, Novelist

Description: Jeff's a tall, rail-thin man just settling into middle age. His face is long and angular, with a too-large, aquiline nose and crows' feet framing medium brown eyes. His hair is dark brown and unruly, with streaks of gray here and there. It tends to always be just a bit too long, as if he'd procrastinated getting a haircut one too many times. His voice is a quiet, somewhat nasal tenor, with a strong American accent. His complexion is a light tan, showing signs of middle age. He's one of those guys who found an outfit that worked and now sticks to it religiously. He tends toward long-sleeved button-down shirts in dark colors and slacks in various shades of gray with a matching suit jacket.

"Nobody special, really. That's kind of why all this just loving baffles me. I mean there's seven billion people on Earth and they choose a wannabe Stephen King smack dab in the middle of a mid-life crisis? Jesus Christ, no accounting for taste.

"Anyway, if you really want to know, I'm from Ohio originally. Farmland mostly, a couple of decent-sized cities. Drove my folks nuts when I was a kid, but I settled down once I figured out there was no way I could be Godzilla when I grew up. I still love telling stories about monsters to this day though. I did the sensible thing; went to college, got a job in journalism, married a good Catholic girl.

"Then about ten years ago I started getting restless, with Midwest suburbia, and I dragged Susan off to New York to chase my big break writing the Great American Horror Novel. One failed business venture and two layoffs later, I was still in New York, but Susan wasn't. I suppose it was my fault. She wanted to settle down, have kids...something more stable than what I could give her. I could never give up my writing, but...God to I miss her.

"After that there isn't really much to tell. Got a stable newspaper job, kept writing. I guess it's true what they say about writing better when you're miserable, because I started getting offers not too long after the divorce was finalized. Hell, I was on my way to a publisher's meeting when I ended up here. I'd say I must've fallen asleep on the train but I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming right now."

Mortal Qualities

Storyteller (+4): He can entertain a person or a crowd with a good yarn, tell elaborate lies for sympathy or to frighten or to impress, or be the winner that writes history. Everything from rumors to rebellion to putting a child to sleep can be made more powerful with the right story, and ruined by the wrong one. Knowing the cliches and elements of stories can help separate legends from the facts they came from or see through the manipulations of propaganda.

Observant (+2): People don't last very long in New York without learning how to pay attention to their surroundings. Jeff's had over a decade of practice, and he's found out, usually the hard way, how to notice the pickpocket following him through the crowds and sensory overload of Times Square, how to catch the telltale signs of a roach infestation before signing that new lease, or how to find something actually valuable among all the junk on Antique Row. A long career of investigative journalism and confrontational taught him the same skills with people; it's easy to spot a liar or know just where to push an inquiry when you know what to look for. On the downside, nobody is willing to play poker with him anymore.

Soft-Hearted (-2): It's very easy to take advantage of Jeff with a sob story, and it takes a lot before he'll give up on someone, even if he gets hurt in the process, even with reams of evidence to the contrary, he's always ready to forgive. More than once, he’s made excuses for people who have used him, defending them even when other friends try to open his eyes to the truth.

...In other words, he's a doormat. While his kindness is genuine, deep down he's a coward. He's easily intimidated and bullied; being hurt emotionally is something he takes in stride, but physical pain? The very idea scares the daylights out of him.

Divine Domain

Vermin (+2): Power over the pests and scavengers that have invaded the homes and lands of civilized folk. He can sense their needs and fears, speak to them, summon them, and command them. He can learn to become them, splitting into a swarm of rats or shifting into the form of a feral cat. Eventually, he may understand them better than he understands his own species.

I love playing the "fish out of water" trope so hard I could marry it. There's just something about painfully ordinary folks having to adapt to a situation that nothing in their lives could possibly prepare them for that makes it really fun to play. I love putting my character through the wringer just to see what happens when he comes out on the other side.

I'd like to play with the idea of Jeff struggling to keep a grip on his humanity through physical and mental changes that come with his new domain. He needs to stay somewhat human to keep from losing himself, but he'll need to become more like the creatures he rules if he wants to do his job correctly. Will he be able to strike that balance? I'd also like to have him explore this new world as he tries to find his place in it, and I definitely want lots of interaction with his fellow god-noobs.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Zia Babel, Repentant Assassin

Zia Babel was born into a noble family of great renown. However, said family attempted a coup against the king - and failed. The only one who wasn't summarily executed was Zia - largely because she was still a little kid at the time. She ended up in a different noble family, and received assassin training. To get close to her targets, Zia Babel has worn many masks, both physically and figuratively. In time, she has proven to be Baron Kaladin's top assassin. Later on, he made her his bodyguard.

---

"Your medicine, father. I also had some tea prepared." Zia notes as she places both on the table next to bedridden baron, as well as pouring the tea into a beautiful, gold-trimmed cup.

"Thank you, Zia. What would I do without you.., you've been a great help..." the noble, sickly as he is, replied.

"Not at all, father. It's an honor to do so. And you know, one of my trade always dresses for the occasion. Well, let's see... the treaty papers arrived. You need to sign here, here, and here..." she continued, handing the baron a quill and ink as well as bringing the table closer. However, suddenly the tranquility of the situation got interrupted by a group of armed man barging in - with the baron's son leading it. Zia already had her twin blades drawn before realizing who it was, sheathing them just as fast.

"Aldin? Is there a problem?"

"Arrest her. Now." Aldin ordered, much to Zia's surprise.They had figured out the cause of the baron's illness much more quickly than expected - Zia had been poisoning him, secretly taking control of his actions as his caretaker.

---

A few hours later, Aldin visits Zia in her cell, where she is awaiting execution.

"Talk to me, Zia! What did you do!? ... Is it incurable...?"

"The poison only exists to cloud the senses. It will wear off on it's own."

"I'm glad... But, why, then? Why throw your life away like this? What is possibly worth poisoning your own father for?!"

"... I just want the killing to stop..."

"You could have just asked!"

"As if anyone would ever listen to one such as me. I am a weapon to be pointed at a target, nothing more. Now go. I wish to be alone."

"... until tomorrow, Sister."

----

The next morning, Zia no longer was in her cell.

Q: A short description of your character:
Sleek with pale skin and well cared for hair. Emotionally deadened, but it sometimes bursts out explosively.

Work together with other PC's to achieve things that wouldn't have been possible alone. Largely political stuff, empire building and cult gathering.

Zia is at a crossroads. Will she achieve redemption, or will she fall back into the darkness that has plagued her for so long? I want to find out.

Interacting with other PC's in a way that isn't constantly competitive. Work together, build an empire, fix as many things as we destroy, and so on. Gameplay wise, I'd be looking for empire building, political intrigue and cult gathering.

quote:

Mortal Qualities:
Assassin +4
Sometimes, when there's a problematic person, the best way to deal with it is to make them disappear silently. Used for: fighting someone, being agile, assassinations attempts, etc.

Spider's Wits+2 To get what you want, patience and cunning are virtues not to be underestimated. Used for: sneaking around, using poison, gathering information, picking ambush spots, etc.

Drawback: Shadows of the Past -2
Zia is plagued by her past misdeeds. Unless given a really good reason, she will generally hold of actually finishing off a wounded opponent.

Divine Domain: Trickery
Having been quite adept at fooling others in mundane ways as a mortal, this allows Zia to mess with other people in supernatural ways.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 25, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Valhawk posted:

Seems ok. Can you maybe give me some idea on what you'd use Itzli's Last Words[+2] for? Beyond just general arcane knowledge.

It's more or less a fancy name for "Magic". I would consider it to be fixed to a location, though--it all requires a lot of inscriptions and whatnot, so it would largely consist of sigils carved into the earth/stone to accomplish some kind of effect, whose permanence is directly related to the medium it's carved into. Draw something in the dirt with muddy water? It's going to be pretty weak and temporary. Chisel it into a cliff face (either via water jets or actual chisel)? It's pretty much going to last until someone messes with it. Either way, it's not exactly a fast process, so it's not really suited to battle magic. A large part of the reason for taking it is to have some kind of knowledge to impart--Xochi's kind lived pretty simple lives, and I wanted to have something more to offer than various forms of water.

EDIT: Forget it, re-apping.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 14, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A Valhawk Smallgods game? :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Theodore Beauregarde

Theodore glanced at his pocket watch before returning his gaze to the mirror before him. Yes, there was still waiting to be done before he was to head out. Perhaps a more louche individual would take this time to indulge himself in the contents of his wine cellar, but Theodore was a far more reputable character than such louts. He considered his reflection as he carefully poured out a small snifter of brandy. He cut an impressive figure, he had to admit. Even beneath his sharply-tailored morning coat it was quite obvious that he was strong and powerfully built--and his flawless match record from his dabbles in the pugilistic arts more than proved that this was no purely for show. His hair was neatly-trimmed in the current fashion, and his prominent tusks had been carefully filed to their current elegant curves, something he took great pains to maintain.

Frowning, he adjusted his collar and took a long sniff of his drink before savoring a sip, feeling its golden warmth sink into him. Life, he concluded, was good. He was young, a self-made man (at least, by the standards of the social circles he moved in), and eminently eligible. His investments were all ticking along splendidly, his recent translations of the ancient inscriptions being brought over from the Heczihuanti Empire were making waves with archaeologists all around the Empire, and he was welcome in all of the most prestigious clubs in the city. In fact it was at one of these clubs, the Orphenaeum that he was shortly due. He retrieved his watch from his pocket once more, and checked it. Yes, his carriage would finally be ready. Finally prepared, he donned his hat, carefully picked up his cane and the box containing the vintage brandy he was going to share with his friends tonight, and strode out through the door.

Straight into the middle of a tall, grassy plain.

He looked about in shock. What sort of childish prank was this? To cover the entire street in this stuff... his surprise was only heightened when he turned around to find that there was not the slightest trace of his house. Somehow, though, he quickly regained his composure as he considered his situation. Yes, he was suddenly lost in some far-flung land, without the slightest clue as to how he got there. But a true gentleman could always rise to the occasion.

Mortal

A True Gentleman...[+2]: Theodore is perhaps the paragon of civilized society, courteous and strong. In all that he does he carries himself with an effortlessly dignified air. He is clear-spoken, composed, and all that he says is self-evidently well thought out. His body, as well as his mind, is evidence of his refinement; honed and powerful, but never brutish or cruel.

...And a Scholar [+2]: Theodore attended some of the finest schools of the Empire, and was always a voracious student. He is well versed in all areas, from the natural sciences to the antiquities to philosophy, and has made noteworthy contributions to the advancement of many of these fields within the Empire.

Orc Warrior [+2]: Theodore has trained in the warfare of the savannah tribes, and displayed remarkable aptitude.

Genteel [-2]: Theoretical knowledge is all well and good, but it is not the same thing as the practical. While he was more than eager to study the fruits of expeditions, Theodore was never one to join an expedition himself. He doesn't instantly fold to hardship (after all, that would hardly be a gentlemanly thing to do), but he is certainly well accustomed to the comforts of civilization, and is a far cry from the self-sufficient explorers he supported and often funded.

Divine

Fire [+2]: The warmth that Theodore carries with him is more than just the brandy, or his spark of divinity. A fraction of the Flame Primordial burns within him, eager to break free and consume all in its path. Theodore has always showed admirable restraint of the baser urges with which any young man is all too familiar, but that is a very different thing from the rage of the True Fire.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 16, 2015

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
^^Nerd!

A name - Kahuna

A Picture -

Description - “Lot of muscles, green skin, pointy ears, strong lower canines. Generally handsome Orc, you know?”

Who were you in your old world? - “My mother and fathers’ lines were all tribal leaders, back to the days after we cast down Gruumesh the Terrible if the old stories hold true. I didn’t want to lead, really. I just liked fishing, being out on the water. We lived on Islands in the Great Ocean, the remains of Nishrek, torn apart by the death throes of an evil god. The tribes made and broke alliances all the time, and often raided another.

Well, one night I was coming back to the storehouse with my catch and my spear and I found two outsiders carrying off a lot of our supplies. They came at me and I reacted. They called me a hero. Guy with a spear against two unarmed Orcs? Yeah, anyway, What I was supposed to do was keep their Leis as trophies- Leis are our necklaces, we personalize them- and leave their severed heads back near their dock for their tribe to find as some sort of warning or whatever. What I did was I came out to a tiny island midway between the tribes, gave the heads a proper funeral pyre, and brought the Leis back to their tribe.

Obviously they didn’t kill me, they didn’t seem to know what to do with me at first. I found out one of them had a wife and child, so I declared I would take on his familial responsibilities. They accepted my terms, and the people actually liked me. So much that their chieftain eventually challenged me to a duel, thinking me a threat. I refused to kill him. It drove him mad, I swam out to sea to get away, but when he followed he went under.

So, here I am, a strapping young Chieftain, and the other tribes seem to be gearing up for an actual war. You see, we orcs are a very proud, very fierce people. It’s not as bloodthirsty as other races make it out to be, but it is far more aggressive and adversarial than I have ever liked. Both sides demanded to know where I stood. And I called a Moot. I told them we should be trading between each other, not fighting among each other. Fighting. I told them we could have contests of strength and skill instead of waging wars. More settling the matter with duels. I only killed the one who declared himself an Avatar of Gruumesh, destined to bring the tribes together by force. I think it was just some relic talisman, shoddy divine artifact I smashed and cast into the waves. I still get nightmares though, of old One-Eye...

After that we had the games every few years, winners got very nice pieces to put on their Leis. We managed to start trading much more too. Some children of intermarried tribes are even grown now. I stepped down a few years ago, I wanted to just fish and be out on the waters again.”

Mortal Qualities -

Athletic Build +4 - Kahuna is swift and strong.
Easygoing +2 - Kahuna radiates a calmness that tends to put others at ease and endear himself to them.

Divine Domain -

Compassion +2 - Rather than give in to the baser side of his nature, Kahuna consistently considers the welfare of others and attempts to care for them.

Drawback -

Cursed -2
- A dark nature is growing within Kahuna. Unbeknownst to him, destroying the artifact of Gruumesh imbued him with a fragment of the cruel god’s soul. During his mortal life it was hardly noticeable, but with the divine power now coursing through him it is awakening and eager to usurp that power for itself.

(I’m thinking of playing this as a growing darkness within him, one that will eventually manifest as Gruumesh reborn and will have to be dealt with. Until then in times of stress or such Kahuna will have aggressive and cruel impulses.

What do you want out of the game? I don’t actually enjoy anything. No action will please me however it resolves. I just want an Orcbro with a dark passenger.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Borna Broz

Borna was terrified. Standing there against the cliff face, the tall figure could easily have been mistaken for a statue, still as she stood. The only clues that she was aware were the slow turning of her head and the tinny sound of rapid breathing through her iron mask. Only moments ago she had been watching as her lord's enemies began their climb up the Thousand Steps towards her. Clad in bright armor and moving with such absurdness, they, and the rebellious army marching behind them, had known she was the only obstacle left in their path. There had been no doubt in her mind what the result of their clash would be. With numbers on their side, whatever overwhelming strength she may have wielded was meaningless. But she was the last and greatest Guardian of Virigard Cain, and those usurpers wreathed in shining light would suffer before she was put down.

But in the blink of an eye, the city had vanished. The Thousand Steps were now just a root covered pathway on a mountainside. The grand palace behind her had become nothing more than a rock wall. Even the Red Moon no longer dominated the sky. Surprise gave way to confusion as she desperately tried to process what had occurred. She had thought none of those ascending the stairs held the power to move her. Kill her maybe, but never move.

The dawning horror of it all crashed down like a tidal wave. Only her master could have done this, but such an effort would leave him helpless. She was failing in her duty. Without her to impede the army, they would storm the palace and cut him to pieces. The aged leather of her armor creaked as she took off at a sprint down the mountain. She needed to find out where she was. She needed to find out how to get back to Ban. She needed to find Cain.

Mortal Qualities
Guardian[+4] - Between their thick armor, large bodies, and frightful demeanors, the Guardians of Cain were a constant reminder that one must remain civil around their lord. Trained to be elite bodyguards since they were children, very little could escape their notice. Borna is the only surviving member of the group now, but that has not diminished her skill in the slightest.

Fire Magic [+2] - While not a fully trained wizard, Borna does posses some magical capabilities. Notably the ability to direct bursts of flame at whatever needs incinerating at the time.

Divine Domain
Protection [+2] - The establishment of walls and the reinforcement of the body. Under Borna's new powers an egg could become solid as a rock, one could bathe in a volcano without the slightest hint of discomfort, and a hundred men could not pass through a doorway if she did not wish it.

Drawback
Dependent[-2] - Life as a Guardian is a sure thing. You go where your master goes, kill what they need killed, and watch everyone around them with a suspicion bordering on paranoia. Borna has operated under the orders of another all her life. They were the thinker, she was the muscle, and that suited her just fine. Unfortunately, she has no master in this new world. While she is capable of making decisions on her own, doing so makes her uncertain and nothing is more terrifying to her than being unsure.

Description

With her armor on, she stands at a few inches short of 7 feet. The armor itself is primarily thick leather aside from her scarred iron mask. The entire set up is aged and ragged. Outside of the armor she is a deathly pale woman that appears to be around 40 years of age. She takes great care not to allow anyone to witness her without her gear equipped, primarily due to an insecurity she bears about not wearing the armor.

What do you want out of the game? What do you want your character to accomplish?

Borna is not a nice lady, even if she is a protector. With her I'd like to cozy up to players or NPCs and try to guide them down a darker road towards conquest, or aid them if that is their intended goal. She is a mediocre socializer, but will still do so as she needs to. Of course if events occur that convince her to take a more independent viewpoint on life, that would be cool as well. God games are good fun no matter how they turn out.

What sort of things do you enjoy?

Watching cultures shift and characters take on new ideologies as they adapt to the powers they are presented with is always great. It adds a wonderful feeling of change to a setting that could otherwise be bland and static. Characters rolling with the punches of whatever happens and the reactions to said punches makes for a very enjoyable game as well. Most of all I personally love seeing the damage that the gods inflict on a setting, accidental or purposeful. These aren't little people. Nothing they do will be subtle in the long run.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bo Zhang

So, you wanna hear how in the name of Huang-Lao I got here? Hey, give me a glass of this fruity wine you shitheads make here and I'll tell ya.

Aaah, yeah, that's the good stuff. Fine, the full story then.

I was a dumb farmer kid starving along with most people in the Middle Kingdom somewhere far away. Harvest had failed, rivers flooded, government officials just came get the taxes, everything was poo poo. So when these guys showed up saying the Han lost their mandate of Heaven and we should all go and fight for the Way of Peace. Anyway, I was a dumb kid, but I wasn't happy with the Emperor, so this sounded like a thing to do. I took some farming equipment and joined up.

Turns out, I was pretty good at this. Managed to lead a small bunch of peasants. in quick little strikes against Imperial supply trains. Zhang Mancheng himself praised me at some point, and I killed plenty in the battle when we kicked Zhu Jun's rear end. Of course, good things don't last, and we started getting our asses kicked. When Zhang Mancheng died, and they called to hold out in the capital there, I ordered my guys to just make a break for it together. I knew a slaughterhouse pen when I see it. And I was right. Every last one of the poor sisterfuckers who went in there got butchered.

Now I kept to the cause for a while. I believed all the poo poo of the Way of Peace. So I figured I'd lay low, gather some other yellow Turban guys and just wait for The Great Teacher to show up and lead us to a great victory. I just now and then raided supply trains a bit for the bare necessities. But that was really hard and got a lot of attention on us, so we started raiding villages. And, you know, time went by and we started realizing that nope The Great Teacher wasn't coming back. Some just left, probably trying to make it back to their villages. But the rest of us, gently caress it, we were good at killing, we were good at taking stuff, we were good at hiding and fleeing from the military forces. Who the gently caress wants to go back to being a poo poo shoveling peasant when you can just take their stuff?

Aaah, those were the good years. We called ourselves The Locusts and we were drat good at what we did. We'd send a guy out looking like one of those new Buddhist monks to go and check out the village for good stuff, and if he saw they had it, we rushed them at night, burning, killing and looting. Then we made sure to be long gone before we enjoyed our loot in a great feast. Sometimes, a tax man or merchant would go under defended, and we'd be able to take some really sweet stuff. There's several days of memory just missing after some of the greatest catches really. We lasted for years. Some good times, some bad times, one winter we had to eat our own just to survive.

But hey, we got caught in the end. Ran into some cavalry troupe while there were no woods to duck into. Well, they caught me and the ones near me. Maybe the rest escaped and just took another leader. Zhou Man might have thanked them for the chance. He was thinking of double crossing me, I'm sure. Who cares? Anyway, I was dragged back to the city, and I could hear the preparation for a celebration as I was gonna get killed in some really loving painful way. Somehow, I fell asleep anyway, and when I woke up, I was here.

I don't know what the hell though. Did I just die and this is where I got sent to? Some kind of magic? Hell if I know, but it's not the only thing that's different. I can sense things in people, nudge them. Not thoughts really, not even emotions, just the things you WANT. Like, I can sense several of you that are loving jealous as poo poo about those parties. That have had enough of your peasant gruel or whatever it is you eat. That want booze like this, but not in glasses but in loving jars, pouring it over yourself like a rainshower.

Hey, don't be jealous. That can all be yours. Tell me. What village nearby has little defenses and a nice filled up stock room.

Mortal Qualities

Bandit [+4] Originally a raider, this translated nicely into banditry skills. The Locusts, and Bo Zhang himself, were good in finding targets of opportunity, hitting hard and fast, and then evading detection and capture. Ambushes were also frequently used. And of course, some wilderness survival, for those leaner times.

Leader [+2] The more refined society might scoff at such a claim, but Bo Zhang managed to keep a bunch of people with very low morals loyal to him in some very rough times through a mix of personal magnetism, promises of plunder and sometimes setting brutal examples.

Divine Domain

Desire [+2] Bo Zhang can detect and influence base desires. Talking about the visceral and primal stuff. Wine, food, pleasures of the flesh, drugs, killing. Things like a desire for justice, vengeance or love are explicitly not his domain.

Drawback

Coward [-2] Bo Zhang is not completely risk averse, or he would not be in this business. But he only likes to fight when the odds are in his favor. Straight up duels, pitched close battles, those are not the things he likes.

What do you want out of the game? I want to play a lower case e evil character. No big world conquest plans or something. Just wants to get a bandit gang and take a lot of stuff and enjoy himself and make his bandit gang bigger so he can take more and better stuff from bigger places. Potentially allowing himself to be bribed to focus his attention here or there.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 15, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Just a notice, a little less than 48 hours remain until the deadline for apps. So if you still want to submit a character and haven't yet, then I would recommend starting quickly.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The Count of Alisburg

The lands east of the Rhine burn with fire as the Holy Roman Empire dies. Fell magic smashes into vast formations of men as the Electors fight over who will lead the Germans, Austrian and Italians. Great beasts are loosed from their slumber to wreck havoc on the world. The Church itself writhes and tears itself apart from within as priests and bishops side with their local lord over Rome. During the darkest months of the war the Duke of Brandenburg led and assault on the city of Alisburg and the surrounding land, hoping to feed its people to his legion of undying constructs. In desperation the Count of Alisburg, a pious man who had delved too deeply into the mystic side of the Church, called upon any dark power that would listen to aid him. Something listened, something that had long dwelt in the misty forests of Germany, a horror that even the pagans had feared in the hoary old days of their control. He emerged from his chambers a changed man, eyes wild and deeply sunk. He requested strange ingredients: a blacksmith's forge, iron taken from old battlefields, virgin blood and bits of runestone from the old pagan ruins. Days later the Count emerged, sequestered within a strange suit of armor. With his might hammer he led the burghers of the city, striking day the moldering corpses of the Brandenburgian army. The enemy fled and Alisburg was free, the citizens holding many feasts and festivals in honor of their Count. However as the weeks passed a strange malaise fell over the city. Disease grew rampant, as did depression and the suicide resulting thereof. The poor became destitute and sickly while the rich became paranoid and reclusive. Eventually people fled the city in droves, seeking fortune in other, less blighted, places. Soon only the Count was left and in his isolation he opened up a door to another world with a ritual and left, leaving Alisburg abandoned.

Mortal Qualities
Esoteric Knowledge[+4]: The Count was deeply immersed in the occult before he donned his armor. Now he has great knoweldge of dark rituals, the names of demons, fell magic spells and other mystic things. Whether this will come to good use in this new land remains to be seen.

War-Hammer wielding[+2]: The great war-hammer the Count wields is caked with dried blood. Many have underestimated the skill and speed at which he can swing it, those many usually end up dying shortly after realizing their mistake.

Divine Domain
Change[+2]: The ritual that went into creating the armor imbued the Count with a spark of the divine. Because his shape is so changed the Count finds it easier to change the shape of others. This can be anything from adding gills to land breathing creature to twisting together many creatures to create a new race.

Drawback
Inscrutable[-2] : The Count is horrible, twisted thing encased in a baroque suit of armor. He is not the most personable being imaginable and many feel uncomfortable around him.

Been marathoning the Dying Venetus game and got into the mood for some mutation rum. Hoping to create some real Island of Dr. Moreau poo poo. Hoping to see the Count get his own stronghold and fill it with horrible monster that spread through the land and generally are a nuisance.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Nah.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 20, 2015

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
So is recruiting closed now or done at 11:59:59 US EST?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
It closes at midnight. I'll put up a post when it closes.

• Locked thread