Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Winston Smithers

Theme

"...and the third group, thus sentenced and found guilty of the crime of Grand Treason due to theft, shall now face their execution via essence reaving. Long live The Dominion!

Winston did not need to look up at the massive screen adorning the drab and gray skyscraper that passed for a habitation hub in The Dominion to recognize the shrill voice of his local judicator. The steady chant of official slogans by the audience and the low whir of the essence crucible as it ripped the very souls of the perpetrators apart to form base magical reagents had become so banal during the years that it did not even arouse his attention much anymore. He merely marched to his local transit node, entered the 7.30 lev-train to the golem manufactory and sat on his assigned seat (the 6th left aisle seat in the 3rd car, for the curious). As he did every day.

Around him were others in the identical green robes of Dominon manufactory craft-mages, sitting silently with stoic non-expressions adorning their faces. Not that there was much need for words anyhow. There was not much to talk about in the Dominion after all, for nothing ever changed. There had not been any enemies for a thousand years, Winston knew, for the Golem Legions and the Transwarp Navy had brought Order to the last barbarian planes long ago. Neither was there societal strife, for all the newborn were taken by The Dominion, and likewise taught by The Dominion. Taught their place; the rebellious culled.

Winston was an overseer at the local golem manufactory. It was the purpose The Dominion had assigned him at birth, and it was what he had been taught. It was what he knew, and it was what he did. Day after day. He did not mind, for such thoughts had been weeded out of him ages ago.

Such was the life of Winston, and so it would remain. At least that is what he had thought, until the day he turned a familiar corner but found himself... elsewhere.

Winston looked around. There was a distinct lack of properly built infrastructure in this new place. Nor was there a single guardian drone, propaganda poster or Dominion overwatch patrol in sight.

No. This would not do at all.

quote:

Mortal Qualities
Organized [+6]: Winston has dealt with an oppressive and strictly regimented totalitarian regime his entire life. Paperwork and organization are second nature to him.

Divine Qualities
Artifice [+2]: Winston dealt with golems as a mortal. His aptitude towards magical constructs seems to have followed him into godhood.

Drawback
Rigid Upbringing [-2]: Having lived in a monoculture where everything is done The One Proper Way, Winston feels a very profound loathing towards all other methods of doing things and is deeply xenophobic and suspicious of other cultures.

Q: What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for.
Nice character interplay. Also, I want to build an army of magic robits and do some nice empire building. That sort of thing.

Q: What do you want your character to accomplish?
Winston will probably try and find some way to A: Contact The Dominion, B: Bring them over after finding out how to make their magitech armies stable in this realm. Your standard TAKE OVER THE WORLD endgame goal. At least, that is his initial motivation. Maybe he will grow as a character and go for something less antagonistic.

Q: What sort of things do you enjoy?
A good time with the other players. A lack of cheese and unnecessary drama. Gameplay-wise, I'd like to carve my own niche and mold the game world in a large scale.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Valhawk posted:

Also, I am a bit concerned that your guy is just going to go all Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with a facade of magitech. Can you give me some examples of what you'd do with Artifice?

Right, that was something I tried to keep in mind what with that whole 'you cannot invent a steam engine' thing, and I have no intention of trying to cheese that with a 'well it is a MAGICAL steam engine so it doesn't count :smug:' type of thinking. I specified a golem factory in the blurb because straight-up magically animated golems of various materials, maybe also more standard magical items and mundane infrastructure building are what I'd go with after Winston realizes most of the constructs he is familiar with don't function.

Also, I'm totally fine with the 'no extraplanar reinforcements' clause. That is the first thing Winston would try, since he has never lived outside The Dominion and feels weird with not having it around, but after he gives up he just might try and construct a simulacrum of it instead. Well-organized cities with strict rules and golems keeping the law and punishing the populace for theft/jaywalking/thoughtcrime seems like something I'd try to make.

To be honest, at first I was going to go with that judicator I mentioned at the beginning of my blurb with a 'law' based divine power, but I realized that the way I would use it in practise would be pretty similar to Adamas' Command, and I didn't want to step on any toes :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Since we are doing theme songs, I suppose Winston needs one too :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

THE HIGH ARBITRATOR'S VERY BIG AND VERY OFFICIAL LIST OF EVERYTHING WORTH LISTING

Winston's retinue (currently at Iron City)
  • Throne-walker
  • 1 Essence Matrix
  • 20 Choir Personnel/Hierophants (have been Propaganda trained)
  • 4 Overwatch model ice golems (armed with iron Halberd and mace, weak spots and joints armoured with iron, have speakers and lenses)
  • 2 Hound model ice golems (armed with iron teeth and claws, have olfactory sensors, speakers and lenses)
  • 1 Marksman model wood golem (Armed with repeater crossbow and iron bolts, has sophisticated quartz optics, wind speed measuring devices and dextrous joints for good aim)
  • 1 Iron golem, standard
  • 10 Infiltrator model wood golems /w chameleon cloaks (armed with firestarters and ice razors, have lenses)
  • 1 Flyer, standard
  • 1 Spider model ice golem (has lens)

Snowend (Pop: 100ish)
  • SFSC under construction
  • 1 Essence Crucible /w Deacon
  • Judicator + Overwatch officers /w Overwatch HQ
  • Perimeter scouts /w speakers and lenses
  • Forgemaster + Fabricator cadre /w Forge (small)
  • 32 Ice golems, standard
  • 8 Overwatch model ice golems (armed with iron Halberd and mace, weak spots and joints armoured with iron, have speakers and lenses)
  • 2 Hound model ice golems (armed with iron teeth and claws, have olfactory sensors, speakers and lenses)
  • 1 Granite golem, standard

Truespring (Pop: A bit more than in Snowend)
  • Overwatch HQ under construction
    -Build orders after HQ:
    :siren:PRIORITY:siren: Convoy for old people
    1. Reward golems /w lens and speaker for the road workers
    2. Overwatch model ice golems (as many as possible whilst leaving enough iron for nro. 3)
    3. Snowplow golems, enough to service the road
  • Worker conversion barracks
  • Road construction Foreman
  • Hired road construction workers
  • Judicator (currently picking and training officers)
  • Golem workforce (modest)
  • Forgemaster + Fabricator cadre
  • Hotspring

Iron City (Pop: 300ish)
  • Iron mine, automated and golem staffed
  • Grand Forge, has undergone expansion for improved golemcraft, automated and golem staffed, integrated and optimized workforce
  • The Central Dominion Logistics Authority (~50 workers, largely automated, constructs 3 standard issue convoys every 10 days)
  • The Central Dominion Office of Communications (~50 workers, largely automated, constructs repeater antennae and sends peeps to plop them between settlements)
  • 300 Steel golems, soldier model (100 polearm, 200 repeater crossbow)

Other agents
  • 1 Panopticon agent with a cadre(agent havs speakers hidden in furs, and Wooden horse golem)
    - Currently attracting workers to come to Truespring
  • 5 Panopticon agents without cadres (agents have speakers hidden in furs, and Wooden horse golems)
    - Currently in iron town, spreading fear of Nomad threat and hope for a saviour
  • A lot of Panopticon agents doing mindtricks over the countryside (agents have speakers hidden in furs, and Wooden horse golems, as well as fliers to send back messages when a village has been readied for conversion)
  • 12 Standard Conversion Units
    - Dispersed to villages
  • Fleet of courier fliers to carry messages and mail

Resource gathering facilities
  • Granite and quartz quarry near Snowend /w Artifice empowered overseers, golem workers and convoy (poor quality, but improving)
    -Undergoing expansion
  • Sawmill near Snowend /w Artifice empowered overseers, golem workers and convoy (high quality)
  • Iron mine in Iron City, automated and golem staffed

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Pros:
Largely echoing Rhjamiz here. Regular update schedule combined with good quality make Winston's Fascist Adventures In Wonderland a nice break to my daily doings. It's an all around cool thing I greatly enjoy participating in.

Cons:
Don't have much to say about NPCs because Winston made the decision to ironboot all of them into drones very early on. So if I had to try and come up with something, perhaps it would be the tendency for some scenes to drag needlessly on and on. Sometimes, it take one or two updates to conquer a village which is fine. But sometimes a god struggles with the same, often fairly trivial issue with the same people for ages, like Kynä's elf dealings or how Bo spent who knows how long in that one plague village. Now granted you've always been super cool about this and willing to work with the players (well, at least me :v:) to get them out of a bind, but perhaps some more judicious fiat could be applied in-game if a god is clearly not getting a move on with some issue.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Shardix posted:

I appreciate the every day update schedule, as I like being pretty much guaranteed to have something to read after work. I'm pretty easy going, though, so whatever works best for everyone is fine with me.

As for the start of the next age. I'm inclined to explore around and see what's what.

I echo this sentiment. One of the things I really enjoy about this game is that there's usually always something nice to read during my morning coffee. So yeah, I'd like to keep the once per day schedule, even if it sometimes means slightly rushed actions when I'm not feeling inspired.

As for the info dump. I assume we still get some sort of summary by our followers regardless of which choice we take? On the advancements they've made, on major historical events, on new borders etc. Basically, this:

I am Communist posted:

The only thing I'd want an info dump on is my area, units, and projects.

As far as discovery, the stuff I don't know or my people don't would be fine to explore and discover.

I mean, personally I'd like a fairly substantial dump, mainly because I tend to play this game as an empire builder (got to tech up so that Winston can be the first one to Alpha Centauri!) and would appreciate the info. If the more explory people don't want to have it though, it's fine with me. Wouldn't want to spoil their fun.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, happy birthday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Armed forces of The Dominion and all the poo poo I've been inventing for them

HQ and Support
The Dominion's forces are led by Officers of the Judicatorial caste, with army groups supported by Forgemaster and Fabricator contingents to maintain the mechanized forces. Supply chains are golem powered and largely autonomous. The Dominion possesses short range magical 'radio' (that carry messages for a few miles) as well as flying machines for longer range communication. Agents of The Panopticon grant deep scouting and intelligence data on enemy movements and strategy whenever possible.

Troops
Dominion field troops consist of steel golems of mass produced make, that fight in tight formations (where the need for individual dexterity and fighting ability are minimized) with massed polearms and suffuse the field with repeater crossbow fire. Simple but tough, yet dumb as bricks and requiring simple orders from their leadership. Their purpose is to shape the battlefield by forming a hard to lodge and assault core for Dominion armies.

The Northmen have a strong military tradition, so smaller, more elite battalions of human troops are used for harder tasks, such as operating complicated magical weaponry or independent flanking operations.

Heavy Support
The Dominion uses large, six legged automatons known as Juggernauts as superheavy shock cavalry to disrupt enemy lines by charging and basically running them over with sheer momentum.

Self-propelled platforms known as Bombards can be fitted with a number of heavy weapons (for both field and siege usage) for artillery purposes.

The Dominion employs heavy Airships armed with magical ray guns to give powerful, showy, mobile and hard to engage air support to field units.

Fast Attack/Skirmish
Fast, wire-framed golems of relative complexity known as Reavers are used as skirmish troops. Armed both with the ubiquitous Sominion repeater crossbow design as well as scything blades, they are used to harry and flank the opposition, as well as perform quick attacks on or chase down vulnerable targets.

The Dominion has access to fast, canine golems known as Hounds that have powerful olfactory and sensory apparatuses and are adept at tracking and finding targets. Mostly used for internal security, but used for guarding military positions against intrusion as well.

Dominion flying machines, known as Fliers can be equipped with repeater crossbows to engage aerial threats or strafing runs. A commonly used variant, called Banshee, uses magical speakers that induce extreme feelings of terror and panic in all those that hear them, and are mostly used to disrupt enemy lines and break cohesion of enemy charges.

Elites
The elite troops of The Dominion are known as Stormtroopers, who are extensively trained and have access to the very best of The Dominion's arsenal (such as full-body power armor). Infiltration behind enemy lines, quick attacks, special ops and spearheading assaults are their responsibility.

Special mentions
Winton himself rides around a mecha scorpion/battle cathedral built from Darksteel (a nigh indestructible godly metal) with a DEATHRAY for a stinger so watch out for that.

Darksteel golems ensouled with the essence of The Dominion's best warriors, known as Immortals perform as the bodyguard of Winston himself and The Dominion high leadership. They are really nifty but there's only 12 of them in total.

Strategy
Dominion battle doctrine emphasizes disruption of enemy cohesion with specialty troops, after which the enemy is wiped away by the methodical, inexorable advance of the golem core of The Dominion's armies. Hammer and Anvil doctrine, in short. The Dominion being The Dominion, doctrine is usually fairly strictly observed, but the Officers are not morons either and will change stategy and tactics if the current ones prove clearly inadequate.

• Locked thread