Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
A dude will go here.

Stay tuned.

(Goes to continue updating his own game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

TheCog posted:

Are we doing teaser pictures?

I am, whether others follow my trend or not is up to them!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
David Wells
AKA That Horrible Monster!

David was a fairly decent person. He did not go to church overly much and never really believed in God or the Devil, but he did his best to be kind to other people. While he did not do volunteer work, he did donate to charities and was helpful to people around him. Everyday kindness and good manners. His work was not particularly noteworthy, he worked an office job in a medical insurer. Sometimes he felt bad about how his company would treat the poorer customers but he was just a small cog in the machine and no one would pay him much attention. He had a dog called Rusty who was a Border Collie and he loved very dearly. She wasn't moving as much these days but still had a few years in her. He played in the local soccer team, David wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either.

All in all there was little that was outstanding or made David Wells stand out compared to everyone else around him. Which didn't bother him that much really considering that he was happy in life. One night he had been feeling a bit off during the day, but it got pretty bad in the evening. He had a terrible head ache, and his stomach churned with acid that burned like fire. He took some antacid, asprin and went to bed to sleep it off.

Waking up as a 8ft tall demonic figure was an unpleasant surprise and shock.

Mortal Qualities
Hexes [+4] - some would call them curses, other hexes, but ultimately it's all the same thing. Some twist of fate or compulsion will affect the target of this spell until the condition is fulfilled, David wills the hex to end or the target dies. Maybe a thief will be compelled to give away all that they steal, or a con artist finds all their schemes turn sour until they look for honest work. A hatemonger might be only able to speak in tongues until they do charitable deeds. Or maybe an attacker will trip and fall on their sword, or at the very least injure themselves. Luck and witchery can make a person's life very inconvenient or miserable even if they're less flashy than a fireball or impressive as flying.

Illusion [+2] - illusions are useful when your very appearance causes panic and mobs to form. Visual illusions, or illusions that affect a single sense only are simpler compared to complex illusions that affect sight, smell, sound and touch or any combination. But David's illusions can also affect other things or people, which in conjunction with his hexes could create some terrible curses indeed.

Divine Domain
Strength [+2] - David's new form is as strong or even mightier than Hercules was in legend. A simple and raw power perhaps, but one that is easily used, felt and noticed regardless. Good for lifting and moving heavy things, forcing open doors and...if needed to pound or beat up people and creatures.

Drawback
Demonic Visage [-2] - there's not really any way of getting around the fact David now has the body of a demon, or at least what would pass for one back home. It's not reassuring, and people tend to assume you are evil or at least not a nice person when your skin is blood red, your tail has barbed spikes and you have wicked horns and fangs.

What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for. What do you want your character to accomplish, what sort of things do you enjoy?
David is a nice person, he's not a saint but he's trapped in a bad situation. I want to explore him trying to deal with that and see how he grows. Maybe he'll have his goodness worn away by the world and embrace the role his form leads to, or maybe he'll turn it around and change people's perceptions. At the start I would prefer less state and cult-building and have a more personal journey, but that will probably change as the game goes on.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I've really enjoyed the game in general so far, so if the comments below seem extremely critical please do not take them personally. I know it's your first time GMing, and the fact you've been open and discussing things with players is a good and positive sign.

Feedback and ideas

1. Mental domination and forcing people to your point of view is clearly the optimal pathway to interactions, but trying to nurture and preserve free will does not appear to have any tangible or worthwhile benefits. Characters are either so utterly inflexible as to require forced conversion or be in inevitable and unshaking opposition, or they are so completely dependent on your babying them and their established world view that they cannot have meaningful engagements. Gavin and Armas were the two key culprits for me, but there have been a lot of others and there are the people as a general group. Other people have been noticing this as well. This is why I enjoy the Duke of Wexfold because he is the only one not to be completely cowed by David but he is also willing to discuss openly and freely his own views, and disagree with David but change his mind on good points. Sycophants and puppets do not make good interactions. Used sparingly they're good, but when they make up an entire world it can be rather eye-rolling at times.

As an additional caveat unless the worship has some kind of meaningful effect why keep going on with the feeling of it? It makes it kind of leads people constantly into a drug addiction or hedonism theme, but this doesn't seem to have a purpose or payoff except for following your own preferred playstyle in almost every game I have seen. Which after 3-4 years now is a reasonable amount. If worship isn't going to be an important or relevant thing in the game story or mechanics just tone it back. We get it. Worship is nice.

2. People invest too much time into something only to have it repeatedly fail. For me personally there were a lot of things that I tried to approach from different angles but you seem to have one specific idea that I have to shoehorn into or I fail. It makes me discouraged and feel like either I just need to play a guessing game with you to figure out what the secret to succeeding in a given situation is, or that I just am not allowed to do it. For example I spent two or three actions on trying to figure out those elven ruins in my lands and got nothing back except for the fact that they seemed weird. For a god playing with the influence and insight of natural systems and patterns surely I should be able to tell if it seems like there are missing structures and the most logical place might be below? If a players spends multiple actions on something, it is important to them. Give ground, give them something even when they fail. My whole ongoing goal of making a floating island is an example of this because every time I try to do this you just seem to block me in every possible way. Other players can create tidal waves that permanently submerge an entire island or grow a huge wall of living bone (or plant I don't know) but I can't float some rocks? Why?

3. You have a different set of physical and metaphysical laws but some of these are not meaningfully important or practical. For example when we discussed steam you mentioned it might not work the same way. Why? What's the point of that? Winston could just make some weird living cyborg horse engine that does the same role, but your world was not set up as some weird H.R.R Geiger alternate reality from the start so why force people into weird alternatives. It's one thing to say that perhaps advanced or removed concepts such as atomic theory, temporal mechanics, tectonic movement or thermal transfer through the ocean aren't the same or apply and that's fair enough. A lot of people use these to game these. But if gravity does not work the same way then what keeps things on the ground and why? Do not be different for the sake of it; be different when those differences make interesting and important gameplay and setting differences.

4. What is this planet? Are we on some weird oxymoron planet that is both huge and tiny? My god has super-strength and order, so reasonably I should be able to fly as fast as a passenger plane. I'm not trying to go for super-sonic flight here and that seems reasonable with my domains. But it takes days to fly from one end of Wexfold to the other? Is it larger than the half the circumference of the earth or something? Not to mention that you mentioned that the planet might not be a sphere, but still has curvature. Why? This seems like you are either inconsistent and changed your mind partway through or you're just being weird and difficult for the sake of it.

5. Subtlety does not work in a PBP game. I cannot speak for other players, but in our own discussions there have been repeated instances where you have given me what you thought were subtle hints or information that I completely missed. This leads into point 2 a little bit but unless it is specifically a big metaplot related thing then players are just going to miss out and not get to explore stuff which you come up with. This is a loss for us as the player and you as the GM. Trust your players not to metagame with it and remember, this isn't a face to face game. We cannot banter backwards and forwards easily to gain extra insight.

Part of David's detachment to mortals and his inability to take them seriously as a general theme is basically me adapting to the game to try and get the most fun out of it. For a GM that enjoys NPC interaction stories so much, your game feels kind of dry on that. By the time I got to the dwarves I was just playing the game as a 4x strategy game and expanding quickly so I am pretty sure I missed a lot of opportunities to discover cool secrets about the dwarves because there wasn't any point to it. I expect this will change with the gods having carved up most of the game board and being entrenched next age but keep it in mind.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Theantero, please save me from weird space time anomalies and speak with David. Otherwise Valhawk's going to make me fly at such low speeds it should be physically impossible for me to remain airborne.

Also I don't really want to have to break your stuff to grab Winston's attention.

I think you're online in my mornings, otherwise we could do a google doc over a day or two.

• Locked thread