Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Gannet

Q: Who were you in your old world?
A: The Northern Gannet is the largest member of the Sulidae family. They are among the fastest seabirds in the world, in a stoop. They are unparalleled hunters of fish, well adapted for short bursts of the aquatic environment. They fall like spears from the sky, sinking through the frigid waters to impale their prey.

Gannet is one such creature. In the old world, he was no paragon of birdhood - not especially large or clever, currently without a mate. But here? In this strange, warm world? He finds his mind opening to strange new ideas. Strange new words. His prey does not fear him - he gorges, grows large and powerful. He feels curiosity blooming within him. He will find his place in this world.

quote:

Mortal Qualities
Aquatic Hunter [+2]: Gannet is at home in frigid waters, diving and swimming and hunting. He is expert at retrieving food and nourishment in hostile environments.
Flight [+4]: Gannet is a swift and powerful flier. He is expert and swooping in for the attack or escaping if the going gets too tough. He's learned many tricks in his time, also - they can be quite impressive, especially given his great size, now.

Divine Qualities:
Precision [+2]: Northern Gannets strike their prey unerringly at high speeds, accounting for changes in direction, speed, and water refraction. They never miss. As a nascent divinity, this has grown to supernatural levels - Gannet can strike the smallest target every time, without fail. He could also, for example, assemble a watch expertly, given proper instructions, and have it function at an unparalleled level of precision. He could just as easily disassemble one for the same reasons.

Drawback:
Birdbrained [-2]: Whatever he has become - or is becoming - he is first and foremost a bird. Easily distracted, easily startled, and victim to his baser urges to hunt, to fly, and to find a mate. To use the watch example again, while he could build or disassemble a clockwork, he wouldn't understand the base principles or remember how to build one from scratch.

Q: What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for.
A: Learn about the land and interact with the other players, while expanding and growing as a character.

Q: What do you want your character to accomplish?
A: He (and I) are strangers in this world and to the game system itself. I want us both to grow and change dramatically, and I want him to become something entirely different and strange from his initial state as a bird. I'm hoping to expand his portfolio in unexpected and unusual ways. I don't plan or expect to be a driving force in the world; planning him to be a more alien or trickster force. Gradually, I want him to grow into his godhood and try to do some good in the world.

Q: What sort of things do you enjoy?
A: Unexpected changes or mutations, helping others in unusual ways. Learning and exploring and discovering secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Valhawk posted:

Not gonna lie, a non-sentient character is a bridge too far. I really don't like this concept, and will probably not pick it. I encourage you to app something else. Also just as a general note, even if I was ok with the concept this character would need some work. Your mortal qualities are perhaps a bit too specialized, combined with your very abstract divine domain, I can think of quite a few situations where your character would be unable to do anything. This is something I generally want to discourage because it pidgeonholes me as a GM to only being able to put you in very specific locations and situations, and it makes it more likely you'll end up having a bad time playing.

I definitely encourage you to go back to the drawing board, because the concept is certainly novel and outside the box and I'd like to see what you come up with that is a bit more workable.

Aw, shucks. I was trying to go outside the box, but ended up outside the box factory! I'll see if I can think something else entirely different up instead of trying to rework that concept.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Gannet

Q: Who were you in your old world?
A: Gannet was a nobody in the old world - worse than a nobody, a pariah. She was meant to be a fisherwoman from a long line of fisherwomen of the Koblin tribe, procuring two metre long gargfish for their great goddess. She was meant to dive in with the rest of the hunters, sinking beneath the waters and spearing the fish with long needles made from the bones of their brethren. And she did, for a while.

But she never did anything the
right way. One day, she happened upon strange wreckage on the shores of her home island - unfamiliar boat, unfamiliar corpses. Unfamiliar tools. She examined these as she crunched the bones of the dead. Hooked spears of hard, shiny stone(?) and thick reams of widely woven cloth - filled with the bones of fish? She weighed them in her hands and thought as she never thought before. Hooks to hold the fish in place! Cloth to sweep through the water, to bind them! She leapt to her feet and sprinted to the hunting grounds, eager to show off her discoveries.

They were not well received. The hunt would continue in the approved way, rather than risk the goddess’ disapproval. Gannet was a laughingstock, again - so she took her tools and
showed them. Alone, she caught more fish than the rest of her hunting group, and that alone convinced the others to go with it. She took her tools and copied them, crudely at first, and gave them to the others. Each new day brought new improvements and more fish - and the priests grew fat and happy. Life was good.

They gathered the massive bounty of fish in the sacrificial pit, singing Gannet’s praises all the while. When the songs were done, it was time to hide. The goddess came that night, sinking from the sky on black-feathered wings, her four gleaming eyes flashing through the darkness. She lowered her beak towards the fish, sniffing carefully. She rose up to her full height, calling out with a fury that shook the trees. She scattered the fish with one massive talon, and took off, her raucous cries piercing Gannet’s heart with fear.

She didn’t resist as they dragged her from her hiding spot, wound her in her own nets and cast her out to sea. Without the goddess’ blessing, they were doomed - at least her death would be swift. She sank into the inky blackness and exhaled the last of her air.

quote:

Mortal Qualities
Aquatic Hunter [+2]: Gannet is at home in frigid waters, diving and swimming and hunting. She is knowledgeable about aquatic flora and fauna, at least in her world.
Reverse Engineering [+4]: Gannet would not consider herself creative, but she bears an unparalleled aptitude towards figuring out how things work and reconfiguring them for her own use. She hails from a primitive culture, and as such many things are new to her - but she learns, quickly, and often her attempts at copying end up being improvements over the original!

Divine Qualities:
Amelioration [+2]: As a mortal, Gannet was never satisfied that something just was - she had to know why that was so, and why it wasn’t something better - and there was always a ‘better’ it could be. Her growing divinity grants her the power to improve something or someone for a specific purpose - working her power on a sword would optimize the curvature or edge for a specific type of cut; on a man who wished to learn, an improved ability to comprehend or apply knowledge - or an extra set of eyes and parallel processing centres in the brain to read twice as fast!

Drawback:
Naively Optimistic [-2]: Even mortal, Gannet saw the world as a great and wonderous adventure. Try as they might, the rest of his tribe couldn’t beat it out of her - but they did take advantage of her enthusiasm. She is trusting to a fault, always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, and for all her intuitive cleverness possesses very few street smarts.

Q: What do you want out of the game? Give me an idea of what sort of gameplay experience you're looking for.
A: Learn about the land and interact with the other players, while expanding and growing as a character. Cast of the trappings of her old beliefs - or wrap themselves around her as she grows in divinity.

Q: What do you want your character to accomplish?
A: I want us Gannet to grow and change dramatically, and expect her to become something radically different. I'm hoping to expand her portfolio in unexpected and unusual ways. I don't plan or expect to be a driving force in the world; I want Gannet to be subversive to the divine powers and empowering to the people of the new world she found herself in.

Q: What sort of things do you enjoy?
A: Unexpected changes or mutations, helping others in unusual ways. Being betrayed and dealing with the consequences of naivety. Learning and exploring and discovering secrets.

• Locked thread