Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
i won tickets to see the grateful dead on saturday night in new york city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I won $60 from a scratch-off ticket that was given to me as a gift.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Mrs. Genesplicer entered a raffle for movie prop replicas at ComicCon a few years ago. She got second prize, which consisted of a motion tracker from "Aliens", a predator spear from "Predator 2" and an alien-predator hybrid from "AVP". The grand prize was a bunch of lightsabers from the various Star Wars films. We already own about half of those, so the Alien/Predator package was pretty nice.

As for me, the best thing I ever won was a radio built into the side of a stuffed Old English Sheepdog, back when my parent took me to see "The Shaggy Dog". I had that radio until I was about 10 years old. By then, my brother had barfed on it enough times that it I had to throw it out. Unlike many stuffed animals, you can't wash an Old English Sheepdog that contains an AM radio.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

That radio sounds amazing!

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
When I was 12 I won a quit smoking hypnosis cd from a radio station.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

genesplicer posted:

By then, my brother had barfed on it enough times that it I had to throw it out. Unlike many stuffed animals, you can't wash an Old English Sheepdog that contains an AM radio.

Was he specifically aiming for it every time he threw up?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I won two jimmy buffet tix from a news radio station and it was the loudest concert i've ever been to.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

LadyAmbien posted:

Was he specifically aiming for it every time he threw up?

No, but it was reasonably large, and made a comfy pillow to rest on, particularly when one was ill. However, my little brother did not have the usual warning system that we develop as we grow and would simply spew, rather than running to the bathroom. Thus the Shaggy Dog Radio was often in the way of the stream.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I won a Coolsculpt treatment. My stomach is still numbed and weird feeling but hey, it cost me nothing.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Won a decent amount at small raffles. Anytime there's a big table of donated (or whatever) prizes and getting drawn means you pick an item, the odds are probably pretty decentish. Overall best was a (~$100) digital camera at a holiday Christmas party at an old job.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
I won a lacrosse head. It was the 2nd prize, but the first was some lame lacrosse camp thing that I didn't want anything to do with, so ultimately it was like winning the 1st prize. all my protons snapped at the top of the head. same place every time. probably not a good head for defense.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

I won some merchandise from a local grocery store by walking out without paying for it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mom and Dad won a week-long Paris vacation in a raffle and let me and my S/O go instead. It was pretty great, thanks Mom and Dad :kiddo:

E: The trip included the right to stay in a fancy apartment, and we spent an hour or so cleaning up before we left. Later we heard that the property manager was amazed that two young people had left the place so clean when other (older) guests had been messy. Take that rich Boomers :smug:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 6, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got a royal flush playing live poker at Caesars in Las Vegas. They gave me a free entry to the 100 dollar daily tourney which I worked into a 340 dollar cash though a chop.

Also I drew a pumpkin well when I was a kid just by sheer accident and won my first Gameboy.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I don't really play much because this luck can't last forever but every time I've bought a few scratch tickets on a whim I always win a hundred bucks and once I even won a thousand and had to go to the lottery office for my check!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
When I was very little I won a bike from a raffle ticket at the county fair. I probably would have been too young to even remember it, but while my mom was taking me to claim it we ended up right in the middle of a fight that broke out between a couple of guys on the midway. I saw one of them stab the other with a big rear end hunting knife and he would have clipped me with it too if mom hadn't yanked me out of the way, so it kind of stands out in my memory. Anyway it was a full sized bike and I was too small for it, so it got stored in the shed. A few years later I went to dig it out figuring I'd grown enough, and the bike I'd braved a knife fight for had become a fused rust sculpture.

That's probably why I've never played the lottery.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I won $2 on a $2 scratchoff once, that was pretty cool

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
steak knives and a waffle iron

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

Many former and active members of GWAR jizzed on my face/body

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Frankenstyle posted:

When I was very little I won a bike from a raffle ticket at the county fair. I probably would have been too young to even remember it, but while my mom was taking me to claim it we ended up right in the middle of a fight that broke out between a couple of guys on the midway. I saw one of them stab the other with a big rear end hunting knife and he would have clipped me with it too if mom hadn't yanked me out of the way, so it kind of stands out in my memory. Anyway it was a full sized bike and I was too small for it, so it got stored in the shed. A few years later I went to dig it out figuring I'd grown enough, and the bike I'd braved a knife fight for had become a fused rust sculpture.

That's probably why I've never played the lottery.

I read that. It wasn't a waste of time. It wasn't great either, so gently caress you.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i won a coffee cup at work one time

greatest day of my life

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once i walked back into a tobacconist after buying the worst cigarettes ever had. I said how bad they were and a ciagrette rep took them off me and gave me a new pack of equally bad cigarettes.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I seem to win the euromillions about once a month, maybe 1 in 4 times ive bought a ticket which isn't too bad odds. It's really annoying though when you get the email with "exciting news about your ticket" so you log in, see you matched 1 number and both bonus numbers and walk away with a cool £6.35

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

www posted:

i won the lottery of life being born a white cis male

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
a certain value of white but more or less applicable

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
When I was a teenager my mom's deadbeat boyfriend won $10,000 on a scratch ticket. He had an arrest warrant out for him so he was too scared to cash it so my sister cashed it for him but kept half the money

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
I won a thousand bucks playing bingo once. Also won a raffle and won a sweet shotgun. And I've won wwf tickets and zz top tickets off the radio

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Yesterday I took delivery of a harley davidson fatboy that I won in a raffle.

I've dropped it already. Don't ride drunk kids and don't drunkenly treat brand new harleys as toys

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Gambling is the only way to a bright and prosperous future

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Automatic Retard posted:

I've dropped it already. Don't ride drunk kids and don't drunkenly treat brand new harleys as toys

good name/post combo

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Automatic Retard posted:

Sell it and get a good bike.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I won a really lovely USB microscope from cartoonnetwork.com in like 1999

It came with little sample slides and everything, but it was basically worthless because it wasn't really a microscope, it was a camera jammed into a plastic chassis above a little glass platform. Pretty sure it retailed for like $250 at the time though, I'll have to look it up

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When I was in kindergarten my school had like a little fair, and for some reason I was super determined to spend the entire time at the cake walk, and I won like 4 or 5 cakes. My mom was really embarrassed and kept trying to get me to stop. I wasn't even really that interested in cakes and didn't really understand that I was winning them, I just liked stopping on the numbers for some weird reason. I think we kept one and gave the rest back.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Frankenstyle posted:

Sell it and get a good bike.

how much less do you think it's worth with minor scratches on the chrome and a bent clutch lever?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I plan on winning the lottery tonight so I'll post in here with results later

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Actually won a nice set of freeride wheels from one of those facebook like and share things that no-one has ever won ever.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah i was in elementary school i think and i won a raffle. got a sweet rear end MTV bookbag. i had no idea what MTV was but i knew it was something older kids liked :c00l:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

In Junior High, I won some chocolate and a little plush frog for guessing the right number of jelly beans in a jar.

My family won some luggage some the grocery store because they were doing a monopoly contest like McDonalds has right now.

I won a camcorder at my husbands annual company dinner one year.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I won an official nba leather basketball when I won 1st prize in a drawing from sports illustrated for kids when I chose Dominique Wilkins over Jordan in a dunk contest back in the 80's. Grand prize was like $1,000 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Automatic Retard posted:

how much less do you think it's worth with minor scratches on the chrome and a bent clutch lever?

The lever shouldn't be too bad to replace even with HD parts being ridiculously overpriced. If the scratches are noticeable enough that you can tell it's been dropped, that'll take a bite out of the resale value. Harley guys are all about primping and polishing like a whore on prom night. But you can still sell it for half what it's worth, and get twice the bike for the cash.

• Locked thread