Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I win stuff every year from United way raffles at work usually hockey tickets and autographed sports poo poo, perhaps a fine hammock this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I won a 48" flat screen tv from a work raffle. It's a poo poo brand with garbage speakers but free is free.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Children posted:

I won a really lovely USB microscope from cartoonnetwork.com in like 1999

It came with little sample slides and everything, but it was basically worthless because it wasn't really a microscope, it was a camera jammed into a plastic chassis above a little glass platform. Pretty sure it retailed for like $250 at the time though, I'll have to look it up

Oh yeah I won a webcam in like 2000 because I'd signed up to some drat internet thing because I had to to do something and it put me in a drawing. They sent like five progressively more pleading emails assuring me that I had actually won something and that this wasn't a scam before I gave them my address with a fake name so they could send me the webcam which I never used.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah the DARE program in my middle school had a raffle and I won a black DARE basketball and I shot some hoops lemme tell ya

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I got 2nd place in a Nintendo Power contest and got Automobili Lambourgini for the N64, and a leather jacket. It's a pretty nice jacket.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
I won a Gameboy Advance at a work raffle, I had to put in a ton of tickets but it was free

I won Motorhead tickets from the radio once, I was super into them at the time and we waited outside for hours and they ended up not playing for some bullshit reason

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Got a thousand-dollar gift card from the children's hospital lottery, which was nice cause they got $250 from me to spend on being awesome. Win-win.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I always win those stupid "guess how marbles are in the jar" contests because I understand basic grade school mathematics

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Gambling is strictly haram in my sect, but I have stolen these:

For the glory of the prophet, of course

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I won a pair of socks with an angry ostrich in a birthday hat from a Facebook giveaway. They were pretty cute.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
By the time I was 10 years old I had won a 10-speed in a raffle, I picked 4 out of 6 numbers in Ohio's first ever lottery for a few hundred dollar win, and I won the Pepsi Challenge bottlecap game when I found the elusive "A" for $5k.

Then my dad was dumb enough to tell me that I couldn't possibly keep up that insane luck, he jinxed me, and I haven't won anything since.

Though, I was born a white male in the USA so really that's winning life's lottery.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

One time I won a lovely blueray dvd player from a frys when they were brand new. I saw the screen say "YOU WON!" and I said to the cashier, "Neat, someone won a thing." and then he told me I did and I was like "oh."

I never used it lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

What's that you say? I've won a thing that plays media I don't yet own, but that you just happen to sell? Well golly gee, imagine my good fortune.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I once won a big set of pogs that featured all the NFL teams on them.

Also won a set of saints row 3 posters from a Facebook drawing thing on the official page.

Won a lot of call in radio station concert and movie tickets back when radio was still a thing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I won a bag of stuff from Environment Canada for attending a conference.

There were some slate coasters in it that I still use, and I have the bag kicking around for putting dog stuff in for over night trips.

Everything else = garbage

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I won a ceramic chicken in a basket with wooden eggs from a raffle in a country store I stopped to piss in one time.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
I won 200 dollars from a radio contest on my birthday. It was pretty sweet.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hell yes I have!

A few weeks ago I got a new taylormade sldr driver after I WHIPPED SOME rear end AT GOLF. I loving scored good as hell and took the second place bitch over my head and broke his spine on my knee.

That's not how I won the driver though, that came from buying 50 dollars worth of tickets. I sold the driver to my friend because there is no driver other than the Ping K15.

TheSnackuum
Nov 4, 2015

Nom nom nom!
I've won a phone before. My phone company had a contest. If you signed up for a newsletter thing that gave you news on when the Samsung Galaxy S3 was coming out and information on all of the features, etc. you had a chance to win. I'm pretty sure the newsletter ended up going to my spam, because I don't think I ever got it. I won the phone. I'm on prepaid, so it was a pretty sweet win. Phone died 2 years later. R.I.P.

TheSnackuum fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 7, 2015

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I won the WoW beta signup lottery which actually made me 300€ when I sold it because desperate nerds wanted in so badly

It was about a week before it ended so some dumb guy bought a beta account that he could play a week for hundreds of euros :lol: The finished game cost like 15€ a month he could have played for 1 1/2 years for that money hahaha

Burns
May 10, 2008

I won a free dinner to a restaurant once but the food sucks so I didnt bother using it.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I won quite possibly the greatest prize in the history of radio contests when I was a kid: a six-pack of Canfield's Diet Chocolate Soda.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

What's that you say? I've won a thing that plays media I don't yet own, but that you just happen to sell? Well golly gee, imagine my good fortune.

those mother fuckers

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I loving hate every single person who buys lottery tickets with a burning passion, an no, you are not going to win. Every time someone says "you can't win if you don't play" to me, I reply with "I win every day I don't play the lottery". gently caress all of you.

That being said one time I won a turkey beanie baby from my synagogue when I was in 3rd grade.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Won a extra chromosome from God raffle

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I won a Doors box set off the radio for answering that Harvey Keitel was initially picked to play Martin Sheen's role in Apocalypse Now. Gave the box set to my dad.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

I won the WoW beta signup lottery which actually made me 300€ when I sold it because desperate nerds wanted in so badly

It was about a week before it ended so some dumb guy bought a beta account that he could play a week for hundreds of euros :lol: The finished game cost like 15€ a month he could have played for 1 1/2 years for that money hahaha

WoW beta was loving sweet though. My brother almost got divorced over it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hey nerds! Inspired by this thread I bought twenty bucks in scratchers and a ten dollar mega millions after going to see spectre tonight.

Got this. Ha!

E. It's the 500 not the 10 thousand. But drat. I'll take it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Won $50 on a scratch ticket, decided to buy another - got two $25 prizes, brought one more and got another $50 prize.
Strange day.

Also won two different cell phones and a new chainsaw in the same day (from online contests I had entered).

Weird how probability skews like that sometimes.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I won a pair of binoculars from a raffle.
A 3DS from a raffle.
and some other poo poo too im sure.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I won like $500 from some weird Deal or No Deal thing at my college but they picked me out of the crowd randomly. I thought I was some kind of cool game theory wizard but I was spending tens of thousands of dollars on a liberal arts degree

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

King of Bees posted:

Hey nerds! Inspired by this thread I bought twenty bucks in scratchers and a ten dollar mega millions after going to see spectre tonight.

Got this. Ha!

E. It's the 500 not the 10 thousand. But drat. I'll take it.

Congrats duder.

I must be the good fortune fairy or something. Rub my belly for good luck.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I made a thread about it here already when it happened, but I literally won World of Warcraft.

For their 10 year anniversary they sent out statues to people who had played since the beginning and never cancelled their account. I bought the box on day one, which came with a 3 month subscription, but at the end of the 3 months i never signed up with a credit card, and so I guess that means I technically never cancelled. However it went down, I qualified for the statue, except it cost me $50 ten years ago, not the constant subscription which I think would have been about $2000. It would have cost them more in postage to send it to Australia than they ever got from me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

monkey posted:

I made a thread about it here already when it happened, but I literally won World of Warcraft.

For their 10 year anniversary they sent out statues to people who had played since the beginning and never cancelled their account. I bought the box on day one, which came with a 3 month subscription, but at the end of the 3 months i never signed up with a credit card, and so I guess that means I technically never cancelled. However it went down, I qualified for the statue, except it cost me $50 ten years ago, not the constant subscription which I think would have been about $2000. It would have cost them more in postage to send it to Australia than they ever got from me.

I googled the statue and it does look pretty sick.

Here's a picture:

I can't, however, imagine what it must feel like to finally see this statue and think "I've officially wasted ten years of my life and $2k on an MMO." Blizzard should've included a Glock and a single bullet.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I googled the statue and it does look pretty sick.

Here's a picture:

I can't, however, imagine what it must feel like to finally see this statue and think "I've officially wasted ten years of my life and $2k on an MMO." Blizzard should've included a Glock and a single bullet.

lol if you have anything remotely like this on display in your home

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

When I was younger my town had a lottery. It was mid summer and I remember gathering rocks with the other kids in anticipation. It was a pretty big deal every year and I remember old man Warner always used to say, "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon." Luckily for me, my father did not get a marked slip. Bill's wife Tessie was not so lucky. Poor Tessie.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
There was some lovely bingo fundraiser thing at my impoverished elementary school and the one card my mom gave me money to play, I won a bag of ugly dinosaur treasure trolls straight out of the 90s. :cool:

gently caress me, they're even uglier than I remember

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I was 7, my best friends were a brother and sister. They were a little on the poor side and their mother was always out gambling, so for two years they regularly stayed with my family and took their meals at our home. One day we were all out playing the the woods near my house and my older sister came to get us, only saying something "big" had happened. When we got back to my place, we discovered their family had won a million dollars in Publisher's Clearing House. We all drove down to their place and there was a big hullabaloo with TV cameras n' poo poo. Their older sister was featured on the commercials for a while for being a pretty teenager who answered the door in her towel.
In the months that followed, they started acting different. They got rid of their dogs, replacing them with a horse and a shih tzu named "Penny" and "Dollar," respectively. They got a new house and refused to come play at mine anymore because theirs was so much nicer. The brother ripped dollar bills in half and would laugh about his ability to do so for reasons that were beyond me. The last time I saw them, the brother told me I had to pay him back for eating candy at their house and whopped me in the head with a stick. My family ended up moving away when I was 9 and I never saw them again.

A couple of years ago, the sister I'd played with contacted me on Facebook. Turns out their mom had continued gambling, they lost everything, their parents got a divorce and her brother's on heavy drugs. The mother's since died.
Welp.

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I won a 15" 16-speed Novarra Ponderosa mountain bike in a raffle, but it was too tall for me! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
A local radio station held a call-in contest, with no limit to the number of times you could win. The prizes were various records. My brother managed to win 8 times and was instructed to come down to the radio station and collect his winnings. Since he was too young to drive, I took him over. What the station neglected to tell anybody was the fact that they only had two albums to choose from. Since my brother won 8 times, he was allowed to select whichever ones he wanted. He got 4 Sheena Easton and 4 Barry Manilow records. Not different records. 4 of the same. He started listening to another radio station after that.

• Locked thread