Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Until they buckle at the toe.

I've realized with the decline of metal minis the art of pinning seems to have vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Ooh, imagine Brain boyz era orks. Actual high tech stuff. Tinboys.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

I've realized with the decline of metal minis the art of pinning seems to have vanished.
Learning how to do that for Warmachine and Hordes was interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's a real beautiful looking gang of murderers and space rapists.

Night Lords have been a day dream legion for me. I want to paint lightening bolts all over Heresy era power armor but I'm also 99% certain if I tried to paint gore it would just look loving terrible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

OhDearGodNo posted:

Pinning is a pain in the arse. That the weakness of the the medium was not taken into account with the Raptors, Swooping Hawks etc is a black mark on the sculptors. They look nice, but the design was idiotic.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Quick, someone post this to BOLS

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Change Chapter to Legion in the Restrictions and suddenly it's believable.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Seems legit.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Alright 30k hams , I'm at a bit of crossroads. I just preordered the Betrayal at Calth set and with that I have pretty decent core of an army I can play around with. So with that I've been thinking of allied detachment that I could get somewhere down the line for my Word Bearers. I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1) One of the cult lists from book 5. I have plenty of cultists lying around and I could use them as big blobs sitting on objectives. Plus it's still keeps with the Word Bearers theme.

2) Mechanicum. I've always had a soft spot for robots plus I imagine there shooting would complement the Word Bearers CCQ.

3) Demons. This is the army I have no experience playing with/against so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are at all. Obviously they'll play well with the word bearers theme as well.

Feel free to weigh in and give your experience on each. This is something I'm doing way down the line so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My foray into 30K will just be finishing my Armorcast Warhound titan. I've decided on Legio Tempestus (Storm Lords), because they have a sweet paintjob and they are nominally both Traitor and Loyalist.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

The Sisko posted:

Alright 30k hams , I'm at a bit of crossroads. I just preordered the Betrayal at Calth set and with that I have pretty decent core of an army I can play around with. So with that I've been thinking of allied detachment that I could get somewhere down the line for my Word Bearers. I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1) One of the cult lists from book 5. I have plenty of cultists lying around and I could use them as big blobs sitting on objectives. Plus it's still keeps with the Word Bearers theme.

2) Mechanicum. I've always had a soft spot for robots plus I imagine there shooting would complement the Word Bearers CCQ.

3) Demons. This is the army I have no experience playing with/against so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are at all. Obviously they'll play well with the word bearers theme as well.

Feel free to weigh in and give your experience on each. This is something I'm doing way down the line so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

All of these are good choices for different reasons.

Warp cults give you lots of expendable troops. Take a HQ, a couple of 30 strong units of cultists, and think about whether you want a squadron of Leman Russ or a horde of spawn type monsters. I'd go full monsters, but that's just me.

Mechanicum are pricy, but give you some things you might really want. Thallax are fast and have high strength shooting, whereas Castellax are really hard to shift from an objective. Low model count though, meaning it will be your marines contributing numbers. From a personal point of view I'd go robot heavy, because I like them.

Demons I've not played, but it looks like another way of getting cheap infantry and more space wizards.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Given that they've been sitting on the plastics from Calth since last year, I wonder if the timing of this release is to try and boost numbers after the apparent failure of AoS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That would imply they had a back up plan.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Given that they've been sitting on the plastics from Calth since last year, I wonder if the timing of this release is to try and boost numbers after the apparent failure of AoS.

This is pretty much well known. The Calth box game is even some hashed-together last minute bullshit to separate it as a different product (and unattached from Forgeworld/40k core).

They can then say, "this year we had a dramatic increase in new releases." Even though AoS is a shitfest.

Although I am surprised this came out after the quarter end, however I'm not a financial goon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They don't have the mobility to put out new product that quickly in any shape. Besides, we knew about this release long before we had any idea how terrible fantasy would become.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Even if Age of Sigmar was doing well (and we have no idea if it is or not), the timing of this release makes sense. Just in time for hanukkah

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Although I am surprised this came out after the quarter end, however I'm not a financial goon.

It's going to get a boost from Christmas/Black Friday/the western worlds end of year shopping orgy

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

The Sisko posted:

I would say in terms of fluff, the cult lists can be the best in terms of hobby. You can make abhumans, screaming trash cultists, elite honour guard, etc.

Mechanicum are 'easy' to get an element of - just take a Pravian and Castellax.

Demons are good but tbh they deep strike and all that so I'm not a huge fan, but like you said they're very fluffy.

If I was doing it I'd personally go for a rabble of crazed warp cultists. Either use GW cultists or look for decent alternatives.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013

:eyepop:

Somebody's getting ready to forge a narrative here.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Carecalmo posted:

:eyepop:

Somebody's getting ready to forge a narrative here.

Please please please tell me this is for reals

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
No but it probably wouldn't take much to convince people it is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How will the Calth bix work with Emperors Children, I think it came up in the old thread but phone posting and everything is slow and poo poo.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

How will the Calth bix work with Emperors Children, I think it came up in the old thread but phone posting and everything is slow and poo poo.

Pretty good. EC are generalists with a melee focus, where they want to hit hard before the opponent can retaliate and odds are will win combat resolution. Reserve and Outflanking fuckery is another facet of theirs.
Just don't let your unique units (Palatine, Phoenix, anyone carrying the legion-unique Spears) get charged and don't expect much out of the Kakophoni (better against solar auxillia than marines).
Next book though EC are getting a rite of war centered on Kakophoni units, so maybe they'll get a utility increase.
And remember that EC love challenges, so be careful that your sarges don't get punked by accident because they don't have the gear to back up the challenges.

Everything in the box can be used well enough with them and a Chaplain Consul is perfect; the contemptor can also be used as Ancient Rylanor.

If you want to bolster the box's contents, then assault transports would be good.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 8, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cool! Doing a test model as we speak, thanks for the quick reply!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what are the chances the 30k DA will be as bad as 40k?

alternatively, we don't even have any rules for DA in the pipeline, right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what are the chances the 30k DA will be as bad as 40k?

alternatively, we don't even have any rules for DA in the pipeline, right?

Book 6 will have DA legion rules and two rites of war, but no unique units yet. Same for BA and WS.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

ijyt posted:

It's mk4 stuff and they wore p much only mk4. The dread is oooogly but it's a decent buy for EC.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what Legion makes best use of the Calth box? Imperial fists? Iron hands?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, and Iron Hands can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Fists, Emperors Children, World Eaters, and Ultras can make good use of the models. It's a good backbone of models for practically any army really. My only complaint is that it's missing a pair or rhinos.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

TKIY posted:

So what Legion makes best use of the Calth box? Imperial fists? Iron hands?

whichever one you want the most, friend

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

whichever one you want the most, friend

So what you are saying is that I should make my own narrative? Forge it, in a way...

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
What is the difference between a Night Lord Terror Squad and a standard tactical squad?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

not lame! posted:

What is the difference between a Night Lord Terror Squad and a standard tactical squad?

Unit size 5-10.
Have bolt pistol + CCW as standard, can be given extras (bolters, volkite chargers, heavy chainblades, 1 flamer or rotor cannon in the squad).
Base 2 attacks.
Leadership 9.
Cause fear.
Infiltrate.
Preferred enemy infantry.

10 will set you back 200 points with no extras,

They are brutal in close combat though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

not lame! posted:

Infiltrating, Fear-causing marines with Preferred Enemy: Characters that can take a Dreadclaw and have some different weapon choices (e.g. giving everyone volkite chargers [15" 5/5/rear end 2/Deflagrate]).

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Waiting on getting my Microsol & Microset back and will have the decals on it to weather still, but here it is pretty much finished.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

Waiting on getting my Microsol & Microset back and will have the decals on it to weather still, but here it is pretty much finished.

This is just great. I'm hoping to get some paint onto my drop pods today.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, and Iron Hands can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Fists, Emperors Children, World Eaters, and Ultras can make good use of the models. It's a good backbone of models for practically any army really. My only complaint is that it's missing a pair or rhinos.

Okay say I'm sold on doing Alpha Legion. As a 40k vet with no Marine models and I'm a total 30k virgin. I want to make a standard 1,500-2,000 point list and I've made my peace with buying some resin.

What makes the most sense to add on to the Calth box, especially if I'm fond of terminators and dreads?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

I'll need to get the rules but that's the Alpha Legion rule that let's them take special units from other legions, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

TKIY posted:

Okay say I'm sold on doing Alpha Legion. As a 40k vet with no Marine models and I'm a total 30k virgin. I want to make a standard 1,500-2,000 point list and I've made my peace with buying some resin.

What makes the most sense to add on to the Calth box, especially if I'm fond of terminators and dreads?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

First piece of advice is that 1,500 points for HH is really constrictive and it only really starts to open at 1,850-2,000 points. If you like terminators I believe that the Alpha Legion have their own special terminator unit that has cool war gear and some nice rules. I also believe there is a legion specific dread for the Alpha's (purely cosmetic). Other than that the Alpha Legion rules and Rite of War allow them to be pretty flexible and their Rite also allows them to steal units from other Legion. I'd also suggest picking up the Red Books if you haven't already.