Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

This thread revels in pushing new people away with stupid joke answers to understandable questions.

New players mean the game might be alive. It's bad enough that we're getting new plastic kits, new rules, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Endman posted:

This thread revels in pushing new people away with stupid joke answers to understandable questions.

40 tactical marines is more than enough; you probably won’t need or want that many depending on how you plan to play and at what points level.

If you play God’s Own Game Mode Zone Mortalis, you can only take units of up to 15 models anyway, so probably the most tactical marines you’ll take will be 30 (two maximum sized units).

The question wasn't Tactical Marines specifically. 40 Tactical Marines is likely adequate.

However, if you're talking just 32mm Marine bodies, as I interpreted the question, then no, 40 really isn't likely enough for anything other than a small game, outside of a list largely devoid of infantry.

Deofuta posted:

Is 40 marines enough for most space marine lists? Would grabbing two of the new boxes be ending up with a ton of extra bodies? Or is this largely dependent on the legion?

Welcome to the 30k thread - we're stupid, but I assure you we all mean well.

If you want to be the ultimate 30k player, take nothing but 32mm Marine bodied units, at max size, in all of your unit slots, and then make sure they all get into a giant melee in the middle of the board. Then crack a lukewarm Busch Light and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Back to being serious - do you have a Legion or playstyle in mind?

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 29, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endman posted:

If you play God’s Own Game Mode Zone Mortalis, you can only take units of up to 15 models anyway, so probably the most tactical marines you’ll take will be 30 (two maximum sized units).

:hmmyes:

I am playing something very troop heavy going forward, and I am only planning on having a full 20 man tactical squad for every 1k points. Mostly likely another squad of despoilers kicking around, but 40 Marines is very likely more than you would every want to field unless you are particularly avoiding vehicles and terminators.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:hmmyes:

I am playing something very troop heavy going forward, and I am only planning on having a full 20 man tactical squad for every 1k points. Mostly likely another squad of despoilers kicking around, but 40 Marines is very likely more than you would every want to field unless you are particularly avoiding vehicles and terminators.

What's your list looking like these days? I guess I just run incredibly Troop heavy. My SoH Orbital Assault is basically just Marine bodies and Dreadnoughts in pods, with some Justaerin for fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
After noodling around for ages, I think I'm finally settling on the following list for DG to start out around 1500 points:

[Pride of the Legion ROW]
Praetor warlord in Tartaros armor, with all the fixins (lasers, harness, mastercraft, iron halo), power scythe
Contemptor Dreadnought w/ CCW and Kheres Assault Cannon (heavy flamer in the fist with chem munitions)
Deathshroud Termies x5 with melta bombs in a Land Raider
Vet Tac Squad x10 w/ 2 chem flamers in a Rhino
Vet Tac Squad x10 w/ 2 chem flamers in a Rhino
Heavy Support Squad x5 with missile launchers

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
It's gonna depend a lot on your army and rite of war choice, but a "conventional" list at 3k will probably have around 60-80 power armored bodies on the field. If you're going into footslogging with apothecaries and big troop squads you might have 100-120, if you're doing fully mechanized or leaning into expensive max 10 squads from your legion it might be closer to 50. If you're just looking for advice on how to expand the big Heresy box into a full army I would plan to (eventually) grab 1-2 more boxes of marines to turn into vets or support squads and then play some lower point games to see what you want more of.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I wouldn't get bogged down in list details right now, as everything is about to change. The estimates of bodies people are giving are about right though

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Deofuta posted:

Is 40 marines enough for most space marine lists? Would grabbing two of the new boxes be ending up with a ton of extra bodies? Or is this largely dependent on the legion?

Depends on the legion, RoW, point limit, and brainworms.

You can check the batreps on the30kchannel and Sector Wargaming for how armies look like.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Deofuta posted:

30-40 is generally the amount of regular dudes I usually wind up with at the games I play. Taking more makes sense if you’re playing a legion that likes tac marines like World Eaters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

At this point we don’t even know if we’re going to get the parts to make the Mk VI marines into anything other than tacticals. They’ve got much smaller hands, so the current special and heavy weapon upgrade kits aren’t compatible.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Thanks for the advice y'all. I'll keep watching the updates and see if they announce that the marines can be turned into anything other than tactical marines. The plan is alpha legion, but I don't know if information about what they're doing in the new edition has been detailed or leaked.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Deofuta posted:

Thanks for the advice y'all. I'll keep watching the updates and see if they announce that the marines can be turned into anything other than tactical marines. The plan is alpha legion, but I don't know if information about what they're doing in the new edition has been detailed or leaked.

I think the beakie kit is thus far Tacticals-only, but FW upgrade kits or even GW plastic kits could be an option.

quote:

This is an incredibly versatile kit, with plenty of options for posing and gear. This is a Legion Tactical Squad, so it’s (old-style) bolters and bayonets for everyone, though the Sergeant gets a plasma pistol and a choice of power sword, power fist, or lightning claw.

The Tactical Squad has more than weapons to play with – the kit also includes optional wargear such as a Legion vexilla (the fancy back banner you spotted in the trailer), a nuncio-vox (for keeping in touch with command), and an augury scanner (to help intercept sneakier foes), as well as packs of meltabombs, frag grenades, and krak grenades.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Deofuta posted:

The plan is alpha legion, but I don't know if information about what they're doing in the new edition has been detailed or leaked.

The marines from this box would be great for the XXth. So many of their units are tacticool shooty dorks, all one really has to do is paint the boltguns different colors to mark the difference between a Tac and a Seeker and a Headhunter. Current boltguns should also fit, so one could grab Sternguard bolters or something. Then proceed to magnetize the Terminators so you can run them as different Coils units and that's an army right there.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
What? People actually talking about Horsey Heresy here? Time to interrupt with some painted stuff:

Magnetized arms

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JcDent posted:

There are some people doing Thunder Warrior armies, but as far as rules go, it's fandexes all the way down.

Though you could argue that you can proxy that poo poo by using Militia (their build-a-bear nature serves well all the lavishly-named, but less-than-Hrud-detailed armies of Terran warlords) and maybe some of the Chimerae Blackshields (for Thunder Warriors).

Do you have any links to those fandexes and also those militia models?

I just think it would be so cool to see some diorama setups of the Unification Wars and Solar Reclamation. I guess it’s just a neat variant on the usual enemies.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Endman posted:

At this point we don’t even know if we’re going to get the parts to make the Mk VI marines into anything other than tacticals. They’ve got much smaller hands, so the current special and heavy weapon upgrade kits aren’t compatible.

Oh sweet, didn't realise you had the kits already! Pics?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ijyt posted:

Oh sweet, didn't realise you had the kits already! Pics?

lol gently caress off ijyt

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I found I got an old Burning of Prospero box lying around, and i was thinking of going Salamanders. Is there any specific loadout I should be going for the Tacticals/Tartaros Terminators? Or should I just wait until the new rules come out? Mostly I'm thinking the Sergeants.

I just checked and it they actually also tested the MkVI pre-heresy, so I figure it'd be OK to fold in the new stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Do you have any links to those fandexes and also those militia models?

I just think it would be so cool to see some diorama setups of the Unification Wars and Solar Reclamation. I guess it’s just a neat variant on the usual enemies.

Naw, sorry, just stuff I've seen online.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I found I got an old Burning of Prospero box lying around, and i was thinking of going Salamanders. Is there any specific loadout I should be going for the Tacticals/Tartaros Terminators? Or should I just wait until the new rules come out? Mostly I'm thinking the Sergeants.

I just checked and it they actually also tested the MkVI pre-heresy, so I figure it'd be OK to fold in the new stuff.

Artificer armor and a power fist is gonna make its way into many of your lists, but not every squad really needs it. Another good one is the vexilla- guy with flag is gonna make his way into most of your marine units

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Endman posted:

lol gently caress off ijyt

That's no way to talk to the world's most talented eight-year-old.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I don’t think I’ve ever taken a 3k list that had more than 40 guys in tactical armor.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I want to get an arquitor or two, because DG, but the rules look Bad.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

120 tactical marines is less than 1500 points even if you tricked out every squad and at 3,000 points would be a completely unstoppable tidal wave of marines with plenty of points to spare.
Build the 120.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Evert game board should look like the cover of False Gods 100% of the time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll spare the wall of text explanation, but given the leaks we're looking at games being less lethal. Right now people avoid big rear end units of marines because somebody can take a 10" S10 AP1 blast template that will delete a big unit per turn. 2.0 is shaping up to be more of a direct fire edition so big infantry blobs are gonna be more viable than ever. At 3K points you also want multiple scoring options, even if you're taking 4 x10 man squads you're already up to 40 bodies.

Beerdeer posted:

In the leaks its the only artillery left in the legion list and its pretty decent!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tacs are getting the new Heart of the Legion rule, which I love very much.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

I see your concern but have you considered that Big Guns Never Tire

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The only troops choice I don’t think is good at all is ten tacs in a rhino. Too wimpy of a selection and you’re liable to take a lot more wounds from the car blowing up.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Word. Its even worse in 2.0 where vehicle explosions are more lethal, you can't shoot out of the rhino, AND its multi melta is super spendy

Endman
May 18, 2010

I’m gonna do it anyway ten idiots in a suicide box let’s gooooo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Endman is gonna own all of us by having the right idea

Get ready to have all your month long theory crafting destroyed this weekend

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

Endman is gonna own all of us by having the right idea

Get ready to have all your month long theory crafting destroyed this weekend

Just lol if you think anyone here can read

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Asking about The Hobbit exlusively.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Endman posted:

lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

I was right bitch, hands too small for the resin ones

Glad they made new upgrade sets though

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
They stated the set will be under $300 American fun bucks so $275 is possible?

Might have to actually buy the box instead of just printing everything. Kind of....exciting times?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

They stated the set will be under $300 American fun bucks so $275 is possible?

Might have to actually buy the box instead of just printing everything. Kind of....exciting times?

lol it's gonna be $299.

I'm just pumped that it's not $400.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Those upgrade sprues are excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Someone said the stream mentioned a future WHC article about prepping the upgrade kits for MKIII/IVs, so that's also nice.

There are also pictures of the kits in action and they look fairly sweet!