Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Anything of Xom, just enjoy the ride.

Yeah chaos knights are actually really fun and Xom isn't as cruel as he used to be. Things will be silly and weird but you probably won't die just because Xom felt like it, at least once you get past the point in the game where he can screw you by getting bored and summoning a hellion.

EDIT: I just realized jellies not eating seen items means ranged characters can actually shoot them now.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is it worth wearing troll leather armor instead of a +2 robe if I'm a troll?

e: actually, choice of troll leather, mottled dragon, or +2 robe (of the Archmagi, not that I have any spells up yet)

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 9, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Troll leather regen stacks with troll regen now. Go wild.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I just started playing this game, and it's really good. I got my second character, a GrFE, to the lair very with lots of good stuff like a +7 dagger {freeze, MP+9 Dex+3 Stlth+} that I found on d:5, but died in the swamps to a hydra (after having beat some others ones). I'm getting how all the stats and skills work to build a character, but I was wondering what the "optimal" armor for a hybrid type fighting/magic character is. I found a plate armor with like +7 but resigned myself to never using it, but if I focus on armor and spell skills, what kind of armor could I expect to get? I know the other choice is going dodge and just wearing robes, but I was a hearty species and found a good weapon.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The optimal for low/mid encumbrance is a pearl dragon armor, but those are pretty rare.

You can get away with lots of stuff if they come with enough perks to be worth it. Just check the armor encumbrance rating for a spitball and then equip it and look over your spell list to see if you can deal with how much your piece of armor is tanking your spell success.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Can I just say I love the mental image of repeatedly Force Lancing enemies into walls until they're pounded flat? I'm finding that never gets old. Such a more interesting spell than it's earliest incarnation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Double-posting 'cause just marathoned Pan/Hell/Zot to get a really piss poor score of a 15-rune win on a DEFE. Just barely cracked 10 million points. Far too much time spent just annihilating everything and doing silly things like training up staves to use the Elemental Staff at min speed. Bashed Asmodeus in the face with it instead of completely Firestorming/Shattering him in.

Also decided to try the Death's Door route instead of Necromutate. Wasn't all that bad, only had to use it a couple times (a third time completely by accident because I fumbled the spell key; that keybinding got changed quickly after that).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ogrevictory!

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-7-gfadd4cc (webtiles) character file.

1800735 huiren the Ogreish Ballista (level 27, 275/275 HPs)
Began as an Ogre Skald on Nov 7, 2015.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Nov 9, 2015!

The game lasted 08:14:23 (69291 turns).

huiren the Ogreish Ballista (Ogre Skald) Turns: 69291, Time: 08:14:23

Health: 275/275 AC: 33 Str: 52 XL: 27
Magic: 53/53 EV: 25 Int: 45 God: Cheibriados [******]
Gold: 11110 SH: 0 Dex: 24 Spells: 10 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis + Q - +6 giant spiked club (vamp)
rCold + . . Clarity . C - +10 pearl dragon armour
rNeg + + + SustAt . (shield currently unavailable)
rPois . Gourm . c - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec + Spirit + M - +2 cloak of Veedo {rF+ Slay+5}
rCorr . Warding . (gloves unavailable)
rMut . Stasis . (boots unavailable)
MR +++.. E - amulet "Puozino" {Spirit rC+ rN+ MR+ SInv}
Stlth .......... n - ring of Nihanir {Wiz rElec MP+9 Str+10 Stlth-}
i - ring "Oryzez" {rN+ Str+2 Int+8 Dex+2 SInv}

It was a shame to not take such a beast into extended. I even learned controlled blink so I would have it if I did decide to go for 15 runes and got it down to 1% practically on the very turn the orb of zot came into sight. But I decided I'd rather play a new ogre than slog through extended, even with such an awesome one as this. I do wish the really cool luck came on a later character in the tournament after I'd won a few combos I want to try.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

UP AND ADAM posted:

I just started playing this game, and it's really good. I got my second character, a GrFE, to the lair very with lots of good stuff like a +7 dagger {freeze, MP+9 Dex+3 Stlth+} that I found on d:5, but died in the swamps to a hydra (after having beat some others ones). I'm getting how all the stats and skills work to build a character, but I was wondering what the "optimal" armor for a hybrid type fighting/magic character is. I found a plate armor with like +7 but resigned myself to never using it, but if I focus on armor and spell skills, what kind of armor could I expect to get? I know the other choice is going dodge and just wearing robes, but I was a hearty species and found a good weapon.
I usually use at least ring or scale mail, sometimes I upgrade past that to dragon armor or chain but it's perfectly winnable with those.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

UP AND ADAM posted:

Before talking about armor, two points to mention: At what level did you enter swamp? A common mistake is to go in only a short time after finding the entrance thinking it's like lair or orc. You might well already know, but just in case, lair branches are a major step up in difficulty and it's best to do them after clearing all of the main dungeon. Next point, be careful of weapons with high enchantments and lots of special abilities but of a poor base type. That dagger was quite good when you found it, but it and almost any other short blade would probably have not been ideal for your character by the time you entered swamp. Base type is usually the most important thing in choosing a weapon and as a loose rule, bigger, heavier weapons are better once your weapon skill is high enough.

As for armor on hybrids, light and heavy armor both can work, but it depends on your stats, your god and how much magic you're going to be using. I think gargoyles are best in light armor even if they aren't casting much magic because they have high innate AC, so they're best off by mitigating their weakness rather than focusing on their strength. My opinion is that a combination of decent AC/EV is usually better than good AC and poor EV, but most people seem to value AC more highly than I do. I favor light armor on almost any hybrid, actually, because you can just cast ozocubu's armor and get really good AC. But if you don't really want to bother with learning a lot of magic and rather focus on low level buffs and utility spells as well as maybe one mid-high level spell, heavy armor can work out provided you aren't weak in either strength or intelligence.

Hybrid is a spectrum in Crawl. Basically any character should end up as a "hybrid" by the end of the game. Even pure melee bruisers who don't follow Trog will be stronger with a few low level spells and even pure blaster casters should have a weapon to fall back on. My favorite characters are jacks-of-all-trades who mostly fight with their weapon but have a trick or spell for every situation. Most such characters will want to wear troll leather unless there's a resist or other ego they really want.

Edit: To give some specific advice in case you want to play a heavy armor hybrid, Hill Orcs are quite good at it. You gain str every 5 levels and have decent aptitudes. A more spellcasting heavy approach would be to start as a HOFE and worship vehumet. Your best weapon aptitude is in axes, but the good ones require more xp investment than you can likely afford, so you're probably best off going with a one hander (one handed axes suck, by the way, maces and flails or polearms are your best bets) and a shield. You should be able to cast bolt of fire and fireball in plate armor by the mid-late game. A more melee heavy approach would be HOSk of Okawaru. This time you do go for axes, they're pretty cool with spectral weapon and heroism helps with the skill requirement. Ashenzari would be a better choice if you want to cast lots of magic, but Okawaru is a lot more straightforward. The HOFE wants int on every level up perhaps with a touch of Str if you're having trouble with armor, the HOSk can choose between int or dex depending on what you want to cast.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 9, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah chaos knights are actually really fun and Xom isn't as cruel as he used to be. Things will be silly and weird but you probably won't die just because Xom felt like it, at least once you get past the point in the game where he can screw you by getting bored and summoning a hellion.

EDIT: I just realized jellies not eating seen items means ranged characters can actually shoot them now.

You know, until you don't have any blink scrolls because Xom was making sure you were swimming in acquirement and various dragon armors to keep you feeling relaxed, and then bam! Step onto shoal4 and he teleports you as far away from any stairs as possible.

Still better than the fact that I haven't seen anything besides spider and shoal this tourney, ugh.

murtidash
Apr 28, 2003
Rawr!
I got the first and 15 rune win for DrAk Lives Matter last night.
Gimbal and Gyre on a Vine Stalker lol

murtidash fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 9, 2015

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Any spots left on a team ?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Hail Ogrebrothers! What do you all think about the state of the GSC in .17? The skill needed to hit min delay has increased from 22 to 24, while the giant club now needs only 18 rather than 20. It might be heresy to say this, but I think some ogres might prefer giant clubs now to giant spiked clubs. Especially those ogres who prefer to emphasize "crush with large rock" over "smash with huge stick". I imagine this could be even more true for the ogre that would like to say funny sounding book words before crushing with large rocks and smashing with huge sticks. My win so far used a GSC, but I lost an ogre on snake four that I think would have been stronger without making the push to 24 M&F. 20 base damage is still really, really good after all.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

murtidash posted:

I got the first and 15 rune win for DrAk Lives Matter last night.
Gimbal and Gyre on a Vine Stalker lol

Nice! I'm trying to wrap up a 3-rune on the MiFi I started but things keep coming up and I can't sit down to play. I'm sure Gozag will carry me to victory anyway.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Hail Ogrebrothers! What do you all think about the state of the GSC in .17? The skill needed to hit min delay has increased from 22 to 24, while the giant club now needs only 18 rather than 20. It might be heresy to say this, but I think some ogres might prefer giant clubs now to giant spiked clubs. Especially those ogres who prefer to emphasize "crush with large rock" over "smash with huge stick". I imagine this could be even more true for the ogre that would like to say funny sounding book words before crushing with large rocks and smashing with huge sticks. My win so far used a GSC, but I lost an ogre on snake four that I think would have been stronger without making the push to 24 M&F. 20 base damage is still really, really good after all.

You could just swing the GSC at 1.0 delay, though, if you really had something else to put stats into.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Do you really need min delay that bad tho ? At skill ~18 it takes a turn or less to whack big pointy stick and that seems fine to me...

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I think you'll do more damage with a giant club until 22-23 skill anyway. It's 20 vs 22 base damage, so at 18 m&f, the giant club is quite a bit better.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

+2 gold dragon armour in a shop for 1500 zenny

That would be pretty good for my pointy stick ogre right? I'm about to do Orc/lair branches

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GDA isn't the greatest choice for a lot of characters, but I'd argue it's one of the best things you can get for an ogre, especially. The resists can be fantastic when you have so few slots / bad luck finding anything else, and it shores up an early ogre's weakness in survivability greatly if you can get it at that point.

Just. Don't be expecting to do much magic in that thing, ever, without serious work and investment. Also dodging might be an issue, but you can get that up to decent, and I don't entirely know how evp works with heavy armor anymore. I say go for it. :v:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

My ogre is pretty dumb and then had his brain mutated for -2, so yeah... :manning:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Thank you for all the advice on armor. I got to experiment with mottled dragon and red dragon armor (found one in a vault and killed it with demonic guardian help), and I now see that they have very low encumbrance for their armor value. My DsAK then went into the labyrinth and got killed by the minotaur with displacement tomahawks and a rod of destruction.

Concerning my conjurer now, is there something specific that determines whether I should use a dagger or short blade? Does it all depend on how much I will be attempting to stab monsters- if it's a lot go with the dagger, otherwise shortsword? I'm just choosing between two weapons I found on D1, one a +1 dagger of venom and the other a +2 shortsword of draining. Draining has no downsides as of this version, right?

edit: hehe, a kobold just walked up and killed him in 3 hits

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you find a poison dagger you'r basically set till lair, just hit dudes once or twice and walk away and let the poison do it's job. Draining is pretty good imo , but unlike venom you'll still need to do damage and that's just not happening with a dagger unless yeah your stabbing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Short blades do the job fine early on until you run into something with some AC, like say an orc with chain/plate mail and the base damage on them isn't quite enough to pierce reliably. When you're running around as a mage or haven't decided what weapon type you're throwing experience into, grabbing whatever has a brand (barring holy wrath and maybe speed) and using it without training is fine on not dangerous enemies. Same with blowgunning things to death. Or hucking javelins.

Draining is a fine brand to have and the 'no downsides' was missing out on a tiny bit of experience in the older versions. TINY. MINUSCULE. You wouldn't notice it in the long run. Anyway, think of how wimpy you were on red drain, that's what you're doing with a couple slaps upside the head to an enemy with the brand this version. Plus base_dam/4 + 3 each proc on average.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Damnit, I just got my white DrIE killed by not having identified my curing and heal wounds potions until it was too late, as well as fighting 5 wights after my skeletons already died, etc. He was set up with a ton of good spells, amulet of gourmand, and +1 eveningstar {holy, rN+ AC+5 Int+5}. Does dragon color tend to follow your background at all or was that just a lucky draw?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Chosen when you rolled the character, unless it has changed In recent versions.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's completely random and has nothing to do with your background or skills or anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are way too many minotaur and gargoyle ghosts stomping around the dungeon right now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

There are way too many minotaur and gargoyle ghosts stomping around the dungeon right now.

They aren't LogicNinja tier ghosts, be thankful.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've splatted enough ogres that I'm putting down my own ghosts at this point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/InternetKraken.txt

So how terrible of an idea is using firestarter? Cause I'm totally gonna use firestarter.

EDIT: I mean it doesn't mesh with this character at all given the simulacrum end goal but gently caress it, I'll use it for the lair branches and have a good time/die horribly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 9, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Going to Shoals with teleportitis was a mistake. drat that was not fun at all, surprised i made it out again o_O

Guess im gonna smash puny elves instead and hope i don't get tp'd into the hall of blades :sludgepal:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 9, 2015

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm not having much luck with Nemelex Choices this tourny :(

I think i'm too rusty, but thankfully the other dudes in my team are grabbing wins.

Any tips for DEAK? is it ever worth abandoning Lugonu for say Vehumet if you go for the full 15? I've never bailed on Lugo before.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

FoCK is actually pretty ok. The most dangerous 'screw you' Xom drops is turning me into an ice beast. He's done it twice, it lasts awhile and makes me a relative sitting duck. Would a potion of cancellation take me out of a form?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I want to play this instead of Fallout 4 <_>

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramc posted:

FoCK is actually pretty ok. The most dangerous 'screw you' Xom drops is turning me into an ice beast. He's done it twice, it lasts awhile and makes me a relative sitting duck. Would a potion of cancellation take me out of a form?
it should, if you can drink in ice beast form(I think you can?)

UP AND ADAM posted:

I want to play this instead of Fallout 4 <_>
gently caress yeah bud

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
On the one hand, Yred turns Lair into a tab fest.

On the other hand,

code:
 Your skeletal warrior hits the plant with a hand axe!
 Your skeletal warrior hits the plant with a hand axe.
 Your skeletal warrior hits the plant with a hand axe!
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the plant but does no damage.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the plant! x2
_The plant is destroyed!
_Your wolf zombie bites the fungus!
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus.
 Your wolf zombie bites the bush but does no damage.
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus! Your wolf zombie bites the fungus.
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe. x2
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe!!
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe.
 Your skeletal warrior completely misses the fungus.
_Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe! x4
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus. x2
 Your wolf zombie completely misses the fungus. x2
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe!
 The fungus is destroyed!
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your wolf zombie bites the plant.
 Your polar bear zombie bites the fungus!
 Your polar bear zombie claws the fungus but does no damage.
 Your spriggan skeleton hits the bush but does no damage.
 Your ghoul claws the fungus! Your ghoul claws the fungus!!
 The fungus is destroyed!
_Your wolf zombie bites the bush.
 Your wolf zombie completely misses the bush.
_Your boulder beetle zombie waves its antennae.
_Your wolf zombie bites the fungus! Your wolf zombie bites the fungus.
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus. Your ghoul claws the fungus!
_Your ghoul claws the fungus. Your wolf zombie bites the fungus.
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your spriggan skeleton hits the fungus with a short sword.
 Your ghoul claws the fungus! x2
 Your spriggan skeleton hits the fungus with a short sword!
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus!
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your ghoul claws the fungus!
_The fungus is destroyed!
 Your skeletal warrior completely misses the fungus.
_Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe! x4
 Your wolf zombie completely misses the fungus. x2
 The fungus is destroyed!
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus! x4
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe! x2
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus but does no damage.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus!
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus. x2
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus! x2
 Your polar bear zombie bites the fungus!
 Your polar bear zombie claws the fungus. x2
_Your flayed ghost hits the fungus!
 Your polar bear zombie bites the fungus.
 Your polar bear zombie claws the fungus. x2
 Your spriggan skeleton hits the fungus but does no damage.
 Your skeletal warrior hits the fungus with a hand axe! x2
 The fungus is destroyed!
 Your wolf zombie bites the fungus. Your wolf zombie bites the fungus!
 Your spriggan zombie hits the fungus but does no damage.
 Your spriggan zombie hits the fungus with a dagger.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie completely misses the fungus.
 Your seven-headed hydra zombie bites the fungus! x2
_Your wolf zombie bites the fungus.
 A spiny frog comes into view.
Yred.txt

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Literally chewing the scenery. Your zombies are hamming it up. :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good to see you guys tourneying. I had an old as poo poo laptop that couldn't handle web tiles, but the day I got a new one the guy whose account the internet was in moved out, and we're not getting a new hookup until Thurs, and hotspotting it off my phone doesn't cut it for web tiles. I grabbed 0.17 anyway, and there's a lot of changes so far. One thing I've noticed is the key repeat rate seems to be changed? e.g. holding 5 to rest takes forever now; is that in crawl or just some kind of setting on my new system most likely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Beware the porcupines

• Locked thread