Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He's a good character but I hate the pasta hankerings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
A "ripped from the headlines" take on the Atari ET landfill? In 2015? Where the main cast acts like smugly baffled, incredulous cranks over the concept of vintage video games being worth money? Oooof.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The scene with Joan and Sherlock playing the game was worth it

Also Sherlock being a friend to Alfredo

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheRationalRedditor posted:

A "ripped from the headlines" take on the Atari ET landfill? In 2015? Where the main cast acts like smugly baffled, incredulous cranks over the concept of vintage video games being worth money? Oooof.

We have an old police captain and a private detective who is explicitly a weird misanthrope obsessed with the oddest things. Joan and Bell totally get it, it's the others who don't.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

wiegieman posted:

We have an old police captain and a private detective who is explicitly a weird misanthrope obsessed with the oddest things. Joan and Bell totally get it, it's the others who don't.
It's just that since I began watching their attempts to tap into TRENDING pop culture "awareness" is not usually as CSI-clumsy as this episode was. Seems plausible it could be the specific writer responsible.

The most outrageous unbelievable moment of the current season is still that Sherlock wouldn't know who Peter Gabriel is. HE'S BRITISH, IT'S THE LAW

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I find it amusing to go back to S1 and Sherlock being a horndog was such a kind of annoying but persistent character facet, and now they've largely dumped it as far as I can tell.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pick posted:

I find it amusing to go back to S1 and Sherlock being a horndog was such a kind of annoying but persistent character facet, and now they've largely dumped it as far as I can tell.

Maybe we're just supposed to assume he's focusing on his sobriety, and working his way through his lady friends would interfere with that?

Also, I'm disappointed that none of the message board users' names was Zero Cool or Crash Override.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 15, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they were really trying to drive home that Sherlock and Watson, FOR REAL, were not going to get together (even at the end of the season!!)

At this point the characters are well established enough that it would be weird as gently caress if they did.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

10 Beers posted:

Also, I'm disappointed that none of the message board users' names was Zero Cool or Crash Override.

I was waiting for that as well, but no such luck.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There was an episode tonight and it was good.

Sherlock and Morland teaming up to solve crime. Pretty standard stuff until the ending which was sinister as gently caress. :stonk:

I really want to know what Morland has planned.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did think they were making Morland out to be a little too obviously good, needed a switcharoo and then maybe a switch back, or not, who knows! But either way Morland is great.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Holy poo poo that ending. I did not see that coming at all. I don't think I can even begin to guess what "the danger" is that the Interpol agent was referring to. Some crazy poo poo to do with his business maybe?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also grabbed a screencap of John Noble's pants at the moment they most resemble a buttcrack:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

buddhanc posted:

Holy poo poo that ending. I did not see that coming at all. I don't think I can even begin to guess what "the danger" is that the Interpol agent was referring to. Some crazy poo poo to do with his business maybe?

It will be Morlate

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Morland is easily the most intriguing character on this show since Moriarty. Season 4 is shaping up to be way better than 2 and 3.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dragonatrix posted:

Watching it right now and... the crime was done over (a marginally different but very obvious version of) ET for the Atari 2600?? This is a weird episode concept, jeez.

I think it was just a vehicle for them to get JLM to say "Integer Overflow"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

Morland is easily the most intriguing character on this show since Moriarty. Season 4 is shaping up to be way better than 2 and 3.

I agree, though Seasons 2 and 3 were still both excellent.

Season 1 - Holmes and Watson become friends sort of, Moriarty/Irene stuff gets told in a cool and fresh way
Season 2 - Mycroft is gross go away Mycroft (no one even remembers this stuff except something about French people)
Season 3 - Kitty, a wildcard, joins the team, Sherlock and Watson have to mend their broken trust, Sherlock relapses
Season 4 - Dad's in town and he's living up to his three-season-long reputation as one bad motherfucker

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Kitty episodes are really when the show hits its stride. There's some good writing in those.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
There's a lot of quality individual episodes, but I think the Kitty first half of Season 3 is the best uninterrupted stretch of the show for sure.

Episode last night was good, at first I thought the motivation of the killer was was dumb, but on reflection it seems like the sort of sociopathic pettiness a head exec of an energy conglomerate would engage in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they tend to dump the less complex/"poorer" mysteries on episodes that are more interesting for other reasons (Sherlock's dad).

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I've enjoyed every season, and each one has a lot of good individual episodes, but Season 1 is the only one that had a strong arc start to finish with the Sherlock/Joan relationship development and the intrigue with Sherlock's past leading into the Irene/Moriarty reveal. Season 2 had Mycroft who was good in concept, but lacking in execution plus the awkwardness with Joan. Season 3 was like two half-seasons, the Kitty half being very fun, and the relapse half being well-written yet plodding at times.

Season 4 doesn't feel like it's wasting any time. Even if they take a few episodes off in the middle, they can call back to Morland at any time and you know it'll be huge.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I miss Kitty

What an awesome episode. It really successfully lulled me into a false sense of security in regards to Morland and then turned it around and reminded me just how much John Noble is the master of playing two-faced characters.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Why couldn't have the whole episode be as interesting as the last 5 minutes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They seem to semi-intentionally dump the boring mysteries on the episodes that have something bigger going on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the ninja chick from Badlands right?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

This reminded me of season 1's abducted child case except with a more dire ending.

Sherlock just never wins these sorts of cases.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I liked it. I thought the case would do the usual Act 2 turn onto the different suspects when she visited the apartment and accused the parents, but nope they kept at her and sent her home with a bomb.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The plot is based on the real-life case of Frédéric Bourdin, by the way, whose ears were used to prove he was a nutty French guy and not a Texas teen.

e: And he did accuse the family of accepting him because they may or may not have killed the boy he impersonated; David Grann wrote an article about it which can be read in The Devil and Sherlock Holmes, fittingly enough.

Pick fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did tonight's episode air early somewhere or what is going on

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It aired yesterday in Canada which means it's on the internet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Man, that was a really dumb solution. This girl who coincidentally looked similar to the kidnapped girl, just happened to see her, and recognised her, managed to get her alone and steal her hair, and she was a good enough liar with a convincing enough story that she fooled the family, the police, and a psychiatrist?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe she's going to be the replacement for the Moriarty type character since Natalie Dormer isn't coming back to network tv anytime soon.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Did tonight's episode air early somewhere or what is going on

It aired in Canada last night because today is David Cronenberg Day in Canada and by law the only thing that's allowed on TV is Videodrome on DC Day.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pick posted:

The plot is based on the real-life case of Frédéric Bourdin, by the way, whose ears were used to prove he was a nutty French guy and not a Texas teen.

e: And he did accuse the family of accepting him because they may or may not have killed the boy he impersonated; David Grann wrote an article about it which can be read in The Devil and Sherlock Holmes, fittingly enough.
The Imposter is an amazingly gripping documentary on this case. The character in Elementary can't hold a candle to Bourdin.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hate Canada

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Regy Rusty posted:

I hate Canada

Sorry eh?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Since I think this will be a story that will continue at some point, I think it was the mother of the "impostor" who killed the FBI agent 'cause she was banging him - you know, the condoms and poo poo they made a point of explicitly mentioning at the beginning of the episode?

Chekhov's gun and all that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe she's going to be the replacement for the Moriarty type character since Natalie Dormer isn't coming back to network tv anytime soon.
I was getting a "Moriarty's Protoge" vibe from her, especially in that last scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I did like that Sherlock gave her a flashbang because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The timelines aren't right for her being his daughter, are they? Especially not with Moriarty

• Locked thread