Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep wondering if the "two years ago" thing is important because that's also when Mycroft disappeared.

Mycroft = murder?!

Maybe the only way he could hope to get away with it is from under deep intelligence cover, and he'd know what Sherlock looked like. He sets up his dad to think Sherlock tried to kill him and Mycroft gets all the monies :tinfoil:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Pick posted:

Maybe the only way he could hope to get away with it is from under deep intelligence cover, and he'd know what Sherlock looked like. He sets up his dad to think Sherlock tried to kill him and Mycroft gets all the monies :tinfoil:.

How satisfying would it be to this thread if S4 ends with Sherlock killing Mycroft?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

How satisfying would it be to this thread if S4 ends with Sherlock killing Mycroft?

"You're gross, Mycroft," Sherlock says. "Literally everyone would rather bang John Noble and his jowls look like a branching Glasgow smile."

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
John Noble's mouth is what Matt Damon's and Michelle Rodriguez's will look like in 40 years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This one was pretty lame. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Joan's nemesis cop is kinda annoying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Joan's nemesis cop is kinda annoying.

She feels like a weird crossover character from a tonally completely different show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't want to see roller derby on TV anymore. At least Sherlock made fun of it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pick posted:

This one was pretty lame. :(

It was, but it was also a necessary evil I think since we're gearing up for the mid-season finale which is obviously going to involve resolving Morland's would-be assassin. It's nice to have a simple breather episode just before then, but it should've been before the previous episode and not now really.

And, yeah, Cortez is an awful person who I can't wait to see get removed for being a terrible vigilante shitbag.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't want to see roller derby on TV anymore. At least Sherlock made fun of it.
"Cyclone Joan"
"Joan of Bark"
"Joan Cold Killer"
"Swatson" :haw:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm used to tuning out all the "state the obvious for the idiots" dialogue throughout the show, but Joan's saying something like "Stop making up roller derby names for me" managed to bother me. It's one thing to explain critical breaks in the case, but for a throwaway joke? Come on.

Pick posted:

She feels like a weird crossover character from a tonally completely different show.

Detective Ramirez transferred from Gotham City.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Man... Did they have to kill fat coroner's possible girlfriend? Couldn't she have just been injured?

Oz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 6, 2016

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oz posted:

Man... Did they have to kill fat coroner's possible girlfriend? Couldn't she have just been injured?

That definitely gave it more punch. Of course she may have been busy on Daredevil, though I'm not sure if there would be overlap in those schedules.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
They did a good job of making her likable and making us feel bad within the space of like a minute.

Mu Zeta posted:

If this was a different show they would have had Watson join the roller derby team undercover to find the real killer or something.

I like the when Sherlock finds out about the Hector guy's beating, he doesn't ask Watson if she was involved. He just skips straight to "no worries I've got your alibi ready".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel 0% sorry for that stupid turd. You don't get to be Batman.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Scorchy posted:

I like the when Sherlock finds out about the Hector guy's beating, he doesn't ask Watson if she was involved. He just skips straight to "no worries I've got your alibi ready".

It's kind of funny when you think about it. In order for him to do that, he'd basically be using the same method Gregson told the kid's dad was used to fake the kid's alibi.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

BreakAtmo posted:

That definitely gave it more punch. Of course she may have been busy on Daredevil, though I'm not sure if there would be overlap in those schedules.

It was a punch that was pointless. At least when it was initially suspected Mexican Cartel activity, that level of violence is expected to a certain extent.

But the actual truth of the crime was really stupid.

-Kid is obsessed with woman
-Kid's dad kills woman in heat of an argument and dumps her body.
-Body inevitably found by the police
-Kid's dad kills homeless man and stuffs bomb in him so that he can bomb the morgue where woman's body is in order to.... what? Destroy evidence? Why didn't he just destroy the woman's body initially? Did he really not expect the police to find it?

Also, the dad was really broken up at the end about the death of the homeless man (who he intentionally killed) and the woman (who he accidently killed). Did he not think there would be innocent casualties from a bomb blast?

The whole thing was just a series of really dumb decisions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oz posted:

The epitaph on humanity's tombstone

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

He initially sinks the body to destroy the evidence, but he screws up and it floats free 2 days later, which prompts the bomb thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scorchy posted:

Well, he didn't have to ask if she was involved if he knew she had an alibi.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Among other problems with the actual crime, did they ever say how the bomb went off? The timing was so perfect, it almost had to be triggered manually, but there was no way the the guy could've known the exact moment the body was close enough to the target. If it was on a timer, that's really pushing suspension of disbelief with all the variables involved (when would the body be discovered, how long would it take to transport, etc). I mean, for the purposes of the show, we'll bypass why he would choose killing a drifter and stuffing his corpse with a homemade bomb over lawyering up and running with the self defense angle against a dead person, but the execution still doesn't make a ton of sense nor was there any reason to believe he had the knowledge to pull off even half of his own plan.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It just wasn't a good one. Also, there... wasn't anyone else for it to be really.

It would have been all right if they'd focused on the "how" and not the "who", the "who" was dead clear and super boring.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Scorchy posted:

They did a good job of making her likable and making us feel bad within the space of like a minute.

Yeah, that was a really great job making us care about a character who had only a minute of screen time and be upset that she died.

Oz posted:

Yeah, especially because he used explosives which would be traced directly back to his company. How was that supposed to COVER UP anything?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, especially because he used explosives which would be traced directly back to his company. How was that supposed to COVER UP anything?
I think his plan all along was that if anyone went to jail for it, it would be him. Saving his son was the goal, if he could get away with it himself then that's a bonus.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
They said the reason he went with his whole bomb plan was because the girl probably had traces of his DNA on her fingernails. He'd still have been better off just sinking the body, then stepping in if the cops ever get around to his son. Why would this guy's DNA even be on file anyway?

The more I think about it, this was probably the most plot-holey Elementary episode ever.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I don't know. Criminals are very often panicky dumbshits who make bizarre decisions. And while such cases would seldom reach Holmes as regular policing clears them up easily enough, this one just happened to involve commercial explosives and an accidental cartel misdirect.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blind Pineapple posted:

Among other problems with the actual crime, did they ever say how the bomb went off? The timing was so perfect, it almost had to be triggered manually, but there was no way the the guy could've known the exact moment the body was close enough to the target.

Hooked up to a thermometer so that it detects when the body is placed in the freezer maybe?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Accretionist posted:

I don't know. Criminals are very often panicky dumbshits who make bizarre decisions. And while such cases would seldom reach Holmes as regular policing clears them up easily enough, this one just happened to involve commercial explosives and an accidental cartel misdirect.

I just needed something to indicate that this, by all accounts normal guy, was the sort to murder a random person, gut him, and then put a bomb in his guts set to perfectly go off at the right time/temperature/maybe he had a trigger and guess right.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Voice activated, set to go off as soon as it heard people talking about hockey

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Is it just me or has this show deteriorated quite a bit in terms of the writing of the mystery of the week, particularly in this season? This latest episode was probably the worst (for all the reasons already mentioned), but I feel like their plots are getting more and more convoluted and ridiculous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think if varies, there are more duds recently but when they're done well they're done well. I really liked the one with self-driving cars, it's a good "follow the money" episode.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

It wasn't as well liked here but I enjoyed the episode with the impostor child.

There's been a lot of good ones scattered throughout, but the best mystery episode I think remains the train pusher from season 1.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Pick posted:

I think if varies, there are more duds recently but when they're done well they're done well. I really liked the one with self-driving cars, it's a good "follow the money" episode.

I liked the computer hacker kid, something struck me about how he was all like "I'll come!" and inserting himself into a discussion the character would be interested by, instead of standing aside once his purpose was fulfilled.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
This show is missing Moriarty, that is all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think this is actually a great new direction to take Sherlock in. I hope it doesn't end badly.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Liked this episode more for character growth than crime of the week. I had the crime of the week solved as soon as the carpet was mentioned.

Sherlock's "I'm practically engorged" got a great laugh from me. This new relationship is cute as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The relationship is cute, although it's a shame I feel with Dormer as famous as she is we'll never get any Moriarty resolution.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pick posted:

The relationship is cute, although it's a shame I feel with Dormer as famous as she is we'll never get any Moriarty resolution.

I'd like to think they could get some resolution before the show ends. I don't think the show is in any danger of being cancelled so hopefully they are able to wrap things up before that happens.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd like to think they could get some resolution before the show ends. I don't think the show is in any danger of being cancelled so hopefully they are able to wrap things up before that happens.

I thought they were moving the show soon to a bad day? Maybe I'm thinking of something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That was a Good Episode but not because of the mystery or anything. Sherlock and Fiona's awkward dorky romance is so adorable that I hope it keeps being a consistent thing. :3:

• Locked thread