Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have so much I want to say/ask in this thread right now. I'm a few months in to classical guitar and it's been a wild ride. Rewarding, comforting, overwhelming, downright maddeningly frustrating. All of the above x100. I'm still with it though. It has been a very unique new adventure for me and sometimes I wonder why the gently caress I dropped the cash on a guitar style that requires serious study and focus instead of ripping out silly electric guitar music through a bunch of pedals and my orange stack. I feel like it's well worth it though. There's a certain meditative focus in learning and playing classical guitar that I don't get many other places. It's clear and easy to see why so many people consider it a lifestyle.

So, question time!

What do you guys seek out for inspiration and motivation? Or at least seek out to get excited about classical music? A few stretches lately I have felt a complete lack of interest in practicing simply because my head isn't in that classical space. I've found that searching YouTube and watching excellent performers helps a lot. As does looking through articles and blogs about the philosophy of classical guitar practice. I think since we're learning and playing so much music often removed from our day to day experiences that it's rough to pull around and say holy poo poo all of this old dusty rear end music rules and I need to jump headfirst into it and be the energy moving this history through my own modern life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

firebad what do you genuinely think about the current state of classical guitar as a living. Performing or teaching. Is it viable nowadays in a realistic way? Dense question but I've been curious about this for a while, same with a ton of other cg questions I've had in my head for months.

I have a lot of catching up in here to do, lots of posts to comment on. I honestly forgot the thread existed :x

• Locked thread