Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Except that's totally what he does at the end? His last scene is him heading to Tokyo to chase her down?
I love this thread so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hold on, I wanna see where he's going with this.

Certainly not Tokyo. :v:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Maybe they got angry at the projected typical rom-com beats and closed Netflix in disgust before the credits rolled.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
notorious zsb come back

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwnbcxBuzI

Lol, you guys are hilarious. If this isn't evidence of having too much free time I don't

know what is.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I actually spent about a minute thinking "wait what? Did I fall asleep and miss a scene or something?"

Dumb theory: Dev is going to the Little Italy neighbourhood of Tokyo. Season two opens with him and Rachel doing that Lady and the Tramp thing with spaghetti then buying birth control pills from a vending machine.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

socialsecurity posted:

You mean the episode where they fight over petty poo poo then realize they are still happy together even though they fight over petty poo poo like normal couples?

The end of that episode felt more like resignation than contentment, that place where a couple stays together because it's the only thing they feel like they knew how to do. The writing was on the wall for the finale.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I really liked the "so why don't you speak Tamil" line.

That poo poo's hard!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I want pasta now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm in my late 20s and a lot of the dumb tropes that have been applied to millennials probably applies to me. (Being underemployed, in debt, blah blah blah.) I think much of my current life is still searching for stability; I haven't begun thinking about doing things before it's too late to do them.

Dev's character is probably about five years older than me and is arguably just above the cutoff age of being a millennial. (Let's do this thread a favor and not argue semantics over generational labels.) In addition, Dev seems to have steady income and the ability to start a family if he wanted to. His anxiety, especially nearing the end of the season, seems to be "Is this it?" If I ever get my poo poo together (which seems to debatable), I can imagine that anxiety supplanting my current ones.

This isn't a criticism of the show even if it might come off that way. Dev isn't a stunted manchild. He seems to be narrowly spared from the nation's current economic situation that has been minded endlessly in other mumblecoreish programs. (It kind of makes me wonder if a show or movie where a stunted character doesn't even have a chance to grow or get character development can be done well. An anti-narrative that doesn't suck. Probably not. It's why most similar shows are terrible.)

I know I'm rambling. But this show makes me sort of think about things despite feeling casual and unambitious. I'll give the show credit for that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The cool thing about the racism episode is I thought that Ashton Kutcher ad was like a joke made for the tv show because it was ridiculously over the top and insane, but it turns out it was an actual ad that was on TV lmao.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

The cool thing about the racism episode is I thought that Ashton Kutcher ad was like a joke made for the tv show because it was ridiculously over the top and insane, but it turns out it was an actual ad that was on TV lmao.

Was this a big story in the US? I would have thought if he was in black face, the news in Australia would have picked it up, but that is the first time I have seen the ad.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Propaganda Machine posted:

The end of that episode felt more like resignation than contentment, that place where a couple stays together because it's the only thing they feel like they knew how to do. The writing was on the wall for the finale.

Yeah, I thought the end of "Mornings" could have gone either way. Dev's answer of "I don't know about ever after, but right now is pretty good" was pretty dismissive, but he put care into his fairytale.

As a recently married guy (we haven't hit the 3 year mark yet :ohdear:) coming up on 30, the last two episodes really nailed everything. Yeah, the arguments in "Mornings" were petty but that's how that poo poo goes, man. And yes, I've found myself in the Yelp rabbit hole before. More importantly, Rachel's feelings of wanderlust are extremely on point.

It was also hilarious when my wife fell for the "gotcha, racist!" trap Aziz set up in the final scene. That was really the perfect send-off to the show.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

His anxiety, especially nearing the end of the season, seems to be "Is this it?"

If you're interested in more fiction that explores this ennui that comes from seemingly having everything you need to be happy but not being happy, try out the novel Infinite Jest.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010
Just popped in to say that while there are some funny bits, the acting is absolutely loving terrible, and the dialog can be painful at times.
NOBODY loving TALKS LIKE THAT!
Also, ep 2... i get that he wanted to use his real parents, but holy gently caress that was the most cringe-worthy episode of TV I've ever seen...

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
thx for the hot take

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm only 3 episodes in and I love this show, I really enjoy how natural all the conversations feel, and the flashbacks in episode 2 made me laugh my rear end off. I'll report back when I've seen it all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok that's the best show I've watched all year, and I watched all of Breaking Bad and rewatched Fresh Prince this year.

I do not understand everyone's comments about the acting being bad. I think the conversational tone is throwing people off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Ok that's the best show I've watched all year, and I watched all of Breaking Bad and rewatched Fresh Prince this year.

I do not understand everyone's comments about the acting being bad. I think the conversational tone is throwing people off.

Do your conversations sound like they're being read off of cue cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a lot of good that can be said for this show (the writing being one), but the acting is goddamned terrible. There's no way it would have made it to air on a regular TV station with delivery like that.

• Locked thread