Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Merry Christmas!

That is my absolute favorite BBQ sauce. I used to live where its made.

I figured you were Australia so you may need an electrified bug destroyer.

The Magno grip is really usefull. I was suprised at how much.

The Nova emblem is from my 77 Nova front grille.

The amazon box is what the bug zapper and magnogrip came in. Glad ya like it!(or hopefully will like it when you actually have it on hand)

I have the things here now and they are AWESOME. I'm gonna brutally murder fruit flies with this zap-o-matic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

literally a fish posted:

I have the things here now and they are AWESOME. I'm gonna brutally murder fruit flies with this zap-o-matic.

Glad ya liked it dude!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

scuz posted:

Finally get the chance to post the awesome stuff that ZincBoy sent me!

A letter explaining just what the crap most of this is, since I wouldn't have had much of a clue.

Multi-use welding pliers! They're heavy and will be very useful in the future.

A loving silicon wafer! I wanna make it into the bitchinest coaster that ever separated a drink from a table, but I'm worried it'll break :ohdear: There's a milled aluminium block underneath it which was likely used as reinforcement for shipping.

Flappy discs! They'll even fit my HF angle grinder!

Welding rods! This accidentally-not-shite picture is now my background so as to inspire me to get off my rear end and buy a welder already.

Thanks, Zinc, you knocked it outta the park :glomp:

:hfive: wafer buddy! Last AI:SS Zincboy sent me a couple, one was chips for hearing aids.

Love how cool they look in person.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A mysterious, heavy package has arrived! Bearing postage paid in Pound Sterling! Unboxing pics to come whenever I'm not swamped.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think I know who my Santa is and you are a drat good one!

I was hoping the digispark would work for you but the USB emulation is patchy at the best of times so it looks like it's not playing nice. What I had done was written a "sketch" (arduino parlance for script) that would get it to emulate a USB keyboard and after ~5 seconds it'd attempt to open notepad (unless you connect the jumper between pin 0 and ground) then write out a letter. Once it had finished the light would start blinking morse code for ephphatha. I thought you might enjoy playing with it as well, it's basically an ATTiny85 with conveniences to make it easier to use. You can buy the bare chips to flash a finished sketch onto and keep the digispark around for development.

I went into a bit more detail in the letter but I didn't have much broken poo poo to include as it all tends to fall off on the trail. The gloves were a pair I just wore out over the years and recently decided to replace. The zipper fell off my motorcycle pants and were one of the few things I actually noticed and kept. The silver balls are bits of silver solder from my first attempt at assembling that bicycle, I can't weld for poo poo and the solder wasn't taking so I ended up having to resort to JB Weld. It's a pity the handlebars broke, I hope you're able to reattach them without much fuss. The bicycle itself is made from a couple of bent/broken spokes, the black one making the bars was a recent break from my Trek 4300. The sprocket is a 14T front sprocket for a DRZ, it was still in fine condition but I just don't see myself changing back from a 15T front any time soon.

I figured you'd have your tool kit sorted given the work you and KB do, so I went trawling through your post history trying to find something useful. You mentioned having trouble with keeping sweat off your sunnies while riding so I picked up one of those buffs. I've got two myself, they work really well as a ghetto bandanna, plus it should coordinate with your race kit according to your strava profile picture :P. The spokey dokes were to give your steed a bit of colour, the murdered out look is awesome but visibility is king for commuting safety! According to the dutch goons anyway. And earplugs because earplugs are always useful. Just not while riding HPVs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So like I said, I returned to work to find a suspiciously heavy little bundle on my desk. Upon opening it, I was surprised and delighted! It was my Secret Santa, by way of Cakefool!

First up, candies!

Next, a loving awesomely skookum Wera allen (ahem, "unbrako") wrench set. This'll be, like, my fifth allen wrench set, but it's already my favorite. It's soooooo niiiiiice! Even the box is nice!

Look at the colors!

It even unfolds!

A very kind Christmas card. You said you were a bit drugged up when writing it, so I'll transcribe:

Hello bolind!
Greetings from the land that bought you Lucas Electrics.

(Editor's note: dear God, I hope he meant brought!)
Inside you should find toffee, made only four miles from my house.
How's that for local?
Also, Festive colorfull Wera Hex Keys. They're ACE!
Broken BMW parts are heavy, so have a handmade GDCS emblem.
Cakefool

Handmade GCDS Emblem?

gently caress yeah! That is so awesome! I can't decide which mental picture is funnier: a grown rear end man having made this himself or you having commissioned the offspring to make it for you. At any rate, this is hilarious!

The entire loot.

Better res album here: http://imgur.com/a/3wdjd

Cakefool, thanks a million, that was awesome! A late merry Christmas to you and the entire Cakefool household! If you'll excuse me, I'll go hug my Wera wrenches.

Fake edit: How the gently caress do you cut the toffee? Package says "whack, open, eat." Do I just smash the bejesus out of it? Anyways, the wife opened the raisin one and it's devilishly addictive!

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Bajaha posted:

It's almost 2016 and my Santa has been lazy or delayed, haven't been emailed by Sock so I'm pretty sure he/she's not a deadbeat. Hopefully the postal system hasn't let me down :ohdearsass:
Santa here,
It is on it's way!
Santa ordered part of your gift from some other elves, and they were lazy and took forever to ship it. It is on it's way though.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

CornHolio posted:

Yeah it was me. In my haste to get the package out I forgot to include a witty note!

Anyway, here's what those are:

- Some kind of gripping pliers, I dunno, I saw them and figured you could use them to get some rounded, rusty bolts off. They might come in handy. Hopefully they work.

- the five black things I'm not sure what they are either, they look like stereo grounds to me though. They could be antennae of some sort I guess. The electrical engineering dept at work was gonna pitch them and I snagged them. Edit: Or what Kastein said.

- Ditto with the big positive battery terminal. I grabbed it thinking I could use it for...something...and that something turned out to be your gift!!

The others, I know we're car buddies so I sent you some spare parts:

- A used main tensioner. I bought a replacement for my car but that wasn't what was wrong. My PS pump bracket broke and the belt pulled the pulley against the tensioner pulley, pinching the belt. The tensioner should be perfectly good, and those aren't cheap, so keep it around in case you need it.

- The ABS sensor is the same scenario - I thought one of my front sensors was out, it turned out to be the module. Perfectly functional sensor to my knowledge.

- The camshaft position sensor is brand new. I bought it, turned out the shop I'd taken my car to had loving forgot to plug it in. It was only like $11 so it wasn't worth sending back. I'd personally wait until yours fails to replace it, honestly, but that's up to you.

Hope something in there is of some use, I know my gifts aren't as cool as most others but they might keep your E39 on the road!

That's good to know the parts are actually all in decent shape, I'll definitely keep them around. The pliers could be especially good for junkyard runs where you don't want to carry too many tools. I tested out the terminal this weekend, and it will need some modification but it should work great! Is there a part number for it? I've tried googling the numbers on it and I can't find anything. It'd be nice to use the fused side terminals, but only if i can replace the fuses :).
Thanks again for the awesome haul!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Deceptor101 posted:

That's good to know the parts are actually all in decent shape, I'll definitely keep them around. The pliers could be especially good for junkyard runs where you don't want to carry too many tools. I tested out the terminal this weekend, and it will need some modification but it should work great! Is there a part number for it? I've tried googling the numbers on it and I can't find anything. It'd be nice to use the fused side terminals, but only if i can replace the fuses :).
Thanks again for the awesome haul!

I don't know the part number, sorry. Not sure where we got it from.

Googling "fused battery terminal" does show some promising leads though. Not sure if that's an exact match but it looks close as hell from here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Blood Magnet posted:

Sorry to ruin it, but I am your Secret Santa. The USPS website says your package is available for pick-up at your post office. I also shipped it on the 21st, so I don't know what took so long.

Got it today, yay! My post office is terrible and probably just took forever to put the notice in my box, jerks.

I got a note with my name written so very nicely

And all of this stuff is true.

I cant wait to read Lies, INC. Its been on my list forever and now that I have it Ill read it sooner than later. Just one book Im working on right now in front of it.

Im glad the note was there because I almost missed the zombie arm keychain and that poo poo is boss, its definitely going on the key to the C10 like immediately.

Also got some candy, chocolate covered pretzels and some motherfuckin NINJA STARS.

May the Maserati emblem haunt my cars forever.

Thanks Blood Magnet, you rock man. I cant wait to chop off the heads of my enemies with the ninja stars and make the C10 even more badasser with the keychain.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I had a package waiting for me when I got home tonight:

Thank you Santa bolind! It's such a cute little ratchet (seriously, I have small hands) :3:

And you don't know this because I haven't started my new project thread, but this'll be super helpful taking apart the dash of my 2002 this winter!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Awesome! Glad at least something made it to you, at last. Still crossing fingers for that other package, but there isn't much we can do but wait.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're welcome Bolind. Yes you're supposed to hit the toffee with a hammer, or you can just sink your teeth through it. Wonder why the British have a terrible dental reputation? :haw:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Got my secret santa gift. Thanks CommieGIR for spending your SUPERIOR AMERICAN DOLLARS to send a nice package up to the frozen badlands that I call home.

What I have learned from AISS is that shop rags are the ideal packaging material. Those chocolates were much appreciated as my Christmas supply had run out a few days ago.

Robot blue PLA. Nice colour choice. Might have to use that for the quad I am working on.

HMM this distributor cap has five spots on it and is stamped made in italy.

An assortment of microcontroller stuff. The tiny coin cell holder appears to be an entire arduino. Black boards antenna looks vaguely bluetoothy.

Octopus hillbillies. That should be weird enough for my tastes.

Some assorted toys.

It seems obvious to me but they really want you to remove the plastic wrap from this popcorn. They should just write front towards enemy rather than just this side down.

One big rear end fan. 4.8 A at 12 volts it doesnt gently caress around. I'll have to rig this up to keep the arduino cool

Then we get to this thing. I feel like if I install the battery freedom will come raining down on me in the form of hellfire missiles fired from a reaper. Apparently it's an RFID tag for military vehicles.

This little piston appears to have BRAAPED its last BRAAP and there is something stuck under the wrist pin.

Is this a hobbed gear from an extruder? Looks to deep of a groove for 1.75mm

Thanks again you godless commie. I'll put the piston and distributor cap next to KING DICK.

Can't wait till next year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

helno posted:

HMM this distributor cap has five spots on it and is stamped made in italy.

That was the original distributor cap from my 90, which fell to pieces when I took it out. That is also the original owners manual. Sorry, I had nothing Ford Ranger-ish

helno posted:

An assortment of microcontroller stuff. The tiny coin cell holder appears to be an entire arduino. Black boards antenna looks vaguely bluetoothy.

It is an entire Arduino! Stack it with the little ZIF sockets and you get WiFi (the one with the metal cap - CC3000) and a breakout board. Wifi will not run off the coin cell, gotta run it with USB.https://www.tiny-circuits.com/products/tiny-duino.html

I realized I forgot to send you the USB board with that guy :doh: https://www.tiny-circuits.com/tinyshield-usb.html
The little black board is an ESP8266 802.11n WiFi module. The other microcontroller is an Atmega328 based Arduino. Gotta buy a Serial converter to use it, but it works.
You'll need that red board with the logic converters to connect the ESP8266 to anything 5V.

helno posted:

Octopus hillbillies. That should be weird enough for my tastes.

:911:

helno posted:

One big rear end fan. 4.8 A at 12 volts it doesnt gently caress around. I'll have to rig this up to keep the arduino cool

Watch out when you plug that thing in. Its a server fan from a Dell, and it will kill you.

helno posted:

Then we get to this thing. I feel like if I install the battery freedom will come raining down on me in the form of hellfire missiles fired from a reaper. Apparently it's an RFID tag for military vehicles.

:911: Close! Its a Pallet RFID locator. It has a UHF radio, GPS, and RFID. Guys with handhelds go into the warehouse, ping this guy, and it'll give them the location of the pallet. Came from Afghanistan

helno posted:

This little piston appears to have BRAAPED its last BRAAP and there is something stuck under the wrist pin.

Is this a hobbed gear from an extruder? Looks to deep of a groove for 1.75mm

The Piston is from my wife's Yamaha 80cc Two Stroke

The hobbed bolt is from a Makerbot, and believe it or not it was pushing 1.75mm filament! Glad you liked it!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 5, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Motherfucking package just returned from the U. S. of A. all battered and bruised with "Postage Due" scribbled on it in grease pen and a 1950's Return To Sender sticker on it. I'm currently having talks with my Santee about how to deal with this.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Canada Post says it's delivered.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Four Banger posted:

Canada Post says it's delivered.

And indeed it was! I was away most of the day so I didn't get to open it until late at night. Might also explain why my phone pics look like crap when I looked at them the next day.

Love how you packed it, and my wife loved the little gold glitter gingerbread man.

AWE YEAH! Detailing things! Those microfiber applicators look like they're pretty awesome with the little hand-hole, can't wait for warmer weather to try them out. A bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and a shitload of confetti (Seriously, you did not cheap out on the confetti. It loves to stick to the microfiber because of static, and I swear I'll be finding it in random places for the next couple months. My efforts to contain it are probably doomed)

THE INCREDIBLE HULK COMICS! BEST STICKER EVER! AND A CARD!

Thanks Four Banger!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I actually have been a lovely santa and haven't got your main present shipped, but it's all packaged up and will be going out on Monday, sorry that I suck.

Welp, at this point I'm going to assume it got lost or stolen. I dig the keychain and the smartphone lenses, though, so thanks!

I've never lost a package from Amazon or anything, but this is the second Secret Santa in a row that's failed to arrive. At this point I'm assuming AISS and I are not compatible and probably won't bother next year.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Welp, at this point I'm going to assume it got lost or stolen. I dig the keychain and the smartphone lenses, though, so thanks!

I've never lost a package from Amazon or anything, but this is the second Secret Santa in a row that's failed to arrive. At this point I'm assuming AISS and I are not compatible and probably won't bother next year.

Do you live somewhere obscure where postal delivery is difficult?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just saw this, that loving sucks dude :(, I'll make some inquiries on my end and see if I can figure out what happened to the package.

I will send you a duplicate of it if nothing comes up, cuz nobody should get screwed two years in a row.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

I will send you a duplicate of it if nothing comes up, cuz nobody should get screwed two years in a row.

Ask blk :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Update: replacement gifts ordered and I found some neat mechanical bits to send at work on Friday, something the original package was missing.

• Locked thread