Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

The harsh Cunarian sun beats down upon you as you step off the running board of your family's coach and onto the manicured courtyard of Fernandescourt's Old Fortress. The smell of horse manure and raw iron assaults your nostrils as a group of uniformed men thunder past on horses, herded by a stout, red-faced sergeant.

Under one shoulder, you carry a leather binder which holds the key to the rest of your life: a commission as a cornet in the Royal Dragoon Regiment, signed by His Majesty, the King himself. With it sits an order to report to your new Squadron Commanding Officer, Captain Alfred d'al Montez, at Fernandescourt immediately upon your arrival.

With one hand held over your temple to shield your eyes from the sun's glare, you quickly find what you are looking for: the open door to the old stone fort's citadel, where you will begin your career as an officer of His Majesty's Royal Dragoons.

quote:

You step through the heavy iron-banded doors into the blissfully cool interior of the citadel only to be nearly bowled over by the rush of clerks and aides scrambling to and fro like enraged hornets.

The outbreak of war with the League of Antar had come as a shock to no one. Still smarting from previous slights, the great and powerful lords of the League Congress saw their opportunity for vengeance appear when the untested teenage Prince Miguel succeeded his father upon the Gryphon Throne of Tierra.

It had been a calculated diplomatic move, or so the men of stately affairs had said: The Antari had expected the new king to cave. They had not foreseen the young monarch's response as he mobilized his fleet and army with determined force. They certainly had not expected the King to land troops on the Antari mainland itself.

Now, the entire country is abuzz as regiments like the Royal Dragoons ready themselves for battle, waiting to join the rest of the army across the Calligian Sea.

quote:

The great central chamber of the Old Fortress is a hive of activity. Staff officers and their aides move about in self-centred trajectories. A team of clerks push counters and check notes written on the maps which sit atop the tables in the centre of the room. On the wall above them, an oil portrait of the Duke of Cunaris, the regimental commander, peers down beneficently upon his flesh-and-blood subordinates.

While it would probably be a good idea to report to your future commanding officer immediately, it might also do to take a look around and familiarize yourself with the fortress. You:

Report in immediately. I should try to make a good impression on my superiors first.

Observe the men training outside. I might be able to pick up some pointers.

Try to talk to some of the other junior officers and get some advice.

So, what's this game about?

Just like it says on the tin. We are a new officer in His Majesty's service, and we'll be going off to war soon. How we conduct ourselves on the battlefield, in the barracks, and with our fellow officers will lead to glory or humiliation! It is for you readers and voters to decide which.

Seems like it has a lot of backstory. Do I need to catch up on anything or can I jump right in?

There is some backstory and lore for the setting (and it's pretty decent), but knowing it is optional. Who you are and what you're doing is always very clear. Here is a link to the in-game reference material.

Spoilers?

Try to avoid them, at least until we get one runthrough done.

Reader participation?

Oh yes, I think most of you know the drill. Bold your favorite option, and the majority wins.

Why this game?

This game is one of the best Choice of has to offer, in my opinion, and it's written by the same guy that did Mecha Ace. There's a sequel coming out soon, and I was really surprised there was no lp of it, with most of the other good games already being covered here.

Before I forget: your

quote:

As of the Spring of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Unknown d'al Unknown
Wealth: 55
Income: 0

Soldiering: 30%
Charisma: 30%
Intellect: 30%
Health: 75%
Idealism: 50% Cynicism: 50%
Ruthlessness: 50% Mercy: 50%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Not much to go on. Let's change that.

Edit: Just for posterity, we ended up with two characters. The original, mostly blind run ends on page 28, and a new one aiming at making a "perfect" character starts here.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh hey a new Choice of thing. I rather enjoyed Mecha Ace, let us hope this one is well as well!

Let's observe some of the people training so as to be less inclined to die horribly, maybe.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rico d'al Desstelombre would definitely try to make a Good impression on his superiors

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
good impression

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Stay and watch

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like we have a tie. I'd like to get the ball rolling (and get us a name), so the next vote wins.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Good impression

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You: Report in immediately. I should try to make a good impression on my superiors first.

quote:

Captain Montez's office smells of old leather and stale coffee. The man himself is a small, pinch-faced fellow. A pair of spectacles balance atop the bridge of his short, stubby nose. He greets you formally and offers you a seat.

"I had the fortune to witness your arrival," he begins, waving at the open window behind him. "Do not doubt that I find it most gratifying when new officers are prompt in the following of simple instructions. I hope you will prove most useful to us."

+2% Reputation, 2% Cynicism

quote:

You hand over your commission papers and orders. Montez scans over them quickly, his eyes darting back and forth behind his steel-rimmed spectacles. The Captain picks up a waiting quill pen and signs the papers with a fluid hand, making your commission fully official. Dropping the documents in a drawer, he shuffles through another pile of papers atop his desk, pulling one out.

"I am afraid that we shall need to go through a few formalities first, for the record, you understand." Montez picks up the quill pen again, ready to write.

"Given name?"

Arturo.
James.
Louis.
Alaric.
Alfonso.
I don't like any of those names (pick your own).

quote:

Family name?

Maradirez.
Castleton.
Sancroix.
Ortiga.
I don't like any of those names.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Castleton. James Castleton.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Rico d'al Desstelombre
Is the only proper name for conniving rogue of a Royal Dragoon.
(Assuming "d'al" is a necessary part of our noble heritage. Otherwise, feel free to omit it)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We are Alaric d'al Sancroix.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Xander77 posted:

Rico d'al Desstelombre

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
I will second Alaric d'al Sancroix.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Alaric d'al Sancroix, to give it the weight of inevitability.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm disappointed in you all. Vicktor von Goku. Junior.

Anyway, glad to see another one of these popping out, they are always interesting. And occasionally a train wreck :)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

"Very well then, Alaric d'al Sancroix, shall we take a moment to clarify a few facts about your early life and origins?"

quote:

The Unified Kingdom of Tierra is nominally ruled by the sixteen year-old King Miguel of House Rendower. Advising him are his Privy Council, men of high birth and enormous power: namely, the official heads of the army, fleet, civil service and intendancy, or home office. Below them sit the Cortes, composed of the heads of the hundreds of noble houses that make up the bulk of the Tierran aristocracy.

The Cortes provides the greatest check to the king's power: the ability to vote on the royal budget. While the King can give decrees without restraint, only the Cortes can vote him the money to carry them out.

The members of these two bodies are the titled members of baneblooded noble houses like your own, each with unique positions in a complex feudal system of obligations and privileges. Through quirks of history and by the vagaries of fealty, Tierra itself is divided into several culturally distinct regions.

Which of these regions is your family from?

The North, the economic powerhouse of Tierra, a land of iron mines and mills.

The Western Coast, stormswept and desolate, home to tough tides and tough men.

The Eastern Plains, where Fernandescourt stands. Home to some of the best horsemen in the Unified Kingdom.

Aetoria, the capital city, a centre of culture and education.

And for reference:

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix

Soldiering: 30%
Charisma: 30%
Intellect: 30%
Idealism: 48% Cynicism: 52%
Ruthlessness: 50% Mercy 50%

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Capital

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I agree that this is one of the best of these games. I look forward to seeing if we end up down a different path than mine.

The North

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
North, North, always go North

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Aetoria, the capital.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How can we turn up our noses at people if we aren't from the centre of culture?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
The Plains of Being Good At Horse Using.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Is this setting one with black powder?

Also, :bandwagon: Capital.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Is this setting one with black powder?

Also, :bandwagon: Capital.

Yes, it's basically at Napoleonic Wars level tech.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Eastern Plains. No point in being a cavalryman if we aren't the best.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

The Plains of Being Good At Horse Using.

We horse so much on those plains. They're custom made for horsing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Horsies!

So, is this Not-Spain or Not-France?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Horsies!

So, is this Not-Spain or Not-France?

It's more like a cross between Not-Britain ("the Unified Kingdom," how the military is set up, the general culture) and Not-Spain ("the Cortes," parts of the government). We'll see more of all this as the game goes on.

Looks like we need a tie-breaker to continue. Do we ride horses, or ride the tides of culture?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since I didn't vote for either of these, I'll change my vote to choose
:horse:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

The eastern Duchy of Cunaris is famous for the calibre of its soldiery, especially its cavalry. You grew up to the smell of horse manure and gunpowder. Your liege lord, the Duke of Cunaris, happens to be the colonel of the Royal Dragoons, and as such, you were expected to join his regiment from an early age.

+5% Soldiering, 10% Reputation

quote:

Your family is nobility of an old but relatively impoverished line, dating from before the days of Edwin the Strong. Although your house's material fortunes have waned over the past few decades, your family still bears a proud name and represents a fair amount of influence and capital.

Like the descendant of any noble family, you were born a baneblood; that is to say, you have the ability to sense the Bane, or Lifepoison, what commoners might call "the force of magic."

The Bane exists in all living creatures. Those with exceptionally strong Baneblood are capable of manipulating the Bane in living things. These people are called Banecasters.

Although your bloodline is not strong enough to actively manipulate the Bane, you are perfectly capable of sensing it when it is being used by others or when living things, like human beings, gather in sufficient concentration. Of course, there are other signs of a banecasting in progress. Even the most powerful human casters require a series of enruned seals to work their art. This makes banecasting time-consuming and tedious, fit only for the most extraordinary necessities.

It is said that the Elves of Takara can manipulate the Bane without such seals, but Takara is far away, and for the moment, none of your concern.

Let's move on, shall we?

quote:

Your house still owns a substantial estate, where you were born, educated and raised in a state of some privilege. Perhaps you had always wanted to be a soldier, perhaps the notion had not occurred to you until recently. Nonetheless, it was the recent news of the war with Antar that spurred you to action. At what age did you make your fateful decision to join the Dragoons?

Age 14.

Age 18.

Age 25.

Age 30.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 10, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Let's be original. 30.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
25, older than usual, but with experience.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

14. Going to be the most :black101: child prodigy.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
30!

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
18 for the safe choice.

You should probably post the backstory and the explanation on the settings magic.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

18 for the safe choice.

You should probably post the backstory and the explanation on the settings magic.

Okay, but there's a lot, especially for people who just want to play the game. I don't want to clutter the thread with it, but if anyone is interested or has questions, here's a link to

I'll be putting another link to this in the OP.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 9, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You're getting into this soldiering thing very late, aren't you? You've got half a lifetime's experience behind you, but that means you don't have many years of physical fitness left ahead of you.

+10% Charisma, 10% Intellect, 10% Cynicism, 10% Ruthlessness (also note that we got 10% Reputation from being from the plains, and that's been edited into the last post)

quote:

While your family may not have enthusiastically supported your decision to go to war, they understood the necessity of sending at least one of their sons to fight for King and Country. As a result, you left home with your family's grudging pride. In addition, they presented you with a parting gift:

A banecast sword, with a blade sharper than any normal steel.

A custom-made uniform, which will make me stand out in a crowd.

A set of books on philosophy and the natural sciences.

A letter of introduction to the colonel of the regiment, praising my talents.

A letter of credit worth a substantial amount of money.

Again, for reference:

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix

Soldiering: 35%
Charisma: 40%
Intellect: 40%
Idealism: 38% Cynicism: 62%
Ruthlessness: 60% Mercy: 40%

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 10, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Soldiery bonus!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Wentley posted:

Soldiery bonus!

We don't want that sword, it was probably forged by Elves! :staredog:

Voting for the Uniform so we look our very best while we're riding down those dastardly foot soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Uniform!

Only the fabulous survive.

• Locked thread