Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Pay the price for superior flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Buy a decent horse. A gentle one, we don't know how to ride.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
We took those nerds to cleaners in Quie for a reason. Buy a horse, as long as it's a mare/gelding because we can't ride.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Buy a horse. We are nobility, these steeds aren't.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Buy a very calm and obedient mare.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Don't we come from proud horsemans stock? Purchase us a black-hearted destrier with razor hooves, short gnashing jaws and soulless eyes of jet that are set aflame at the prospect of blood.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Don't we come from proud horsemans stock? Purchase us a black-hearted destrier with razor hooves, short gnashing jaws and soulless eyes of jet that are set aflame at the prospect of blood.

And call him Daisy.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Well, you might as well see the selection:

quote:

Coming to the decision that a few extra crowns will be of little use if you are caught with an inadequate horse in combat, you decide to spend a little bit extra to acquire a more impressive and capable mount.

Many of the horse merchants have already closed up shop, having sold their stock of mounts for the day. After two hours of searching and haggling, you and Lanzerel examine your options, as meagre as they are:

A grey mare named "Faith", a stolid, timid looking animal with a few white spots on her neck. Although smallish and hardly impressive, she seems reliable and healthy. Her owner is willing to part with her for 20 crowns.

The only other horse you find for sale is expensive beyond the pale, but clearly the finest horse in the entire camp, a gigantic black stallion named "Thunderer", a mount suited for a Knight of the Red or a general. Stallions are notoriously hotheaded and difficult to control, but you have no doubt that you will cut a dashing figure perched atop such a magnificent animal. He commands the downright-exorbitant price of 100 crowns.

Buy Faith.

Buy Thunderer.

It's not worth the money. I requisition an army horse.

You have 115 crowns.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Faith seems like the best choice here.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We aint got time for rodeos, so lets go with Faith.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Thunderer. We are useless. Our minions, however, shall be unimpeachable. Can we trade our doom mount to the sergeant? Maybe "lose" it in a game of dice?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Oh, ye of little Faith

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

GyverMac posted:

We aint got time for rodeos, so lets go with Faith.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Thunderer. We were raised in the saddle, horses were the one thing our district had going for it. Time to show these milquetoasts what a real horseman can do. Buy the best, and he'll scare the enemies more than he scares you lily-livered lot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

This horse will beat our noble horsemans heritage to the surface. Our stats are set for the rest of the game, aren't they? :getin:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Haha, holy poo poo. This is my friend's game.
Go with Thunderer. The beast will recognize the superior horsemanship in our blood and be naturally cowed into obedience!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Our stats are set for the rest of the game, aren't they? :getin:
We'll have opportunities to increase our stats and our command's stats throughout the game. With that said, there's very little room for improvement; 60 Int will cover almost everything, and 50 Cha in conjunction will open us up to a nice lesser-seen event later on.

Sabers usually allows us to solve problems with any of the three primary stats, but that doesn't necessarily hold in the to-be-released sequel, Guns of Infinity. Generally, the sooner we get promoted to Lieutenant (and get an actual command), the more time and opportunities we'll have to better ourselves, our reputation and wealth, and our men. An interesting little tidbit that we're going to miss (because we picked Sgt. Sideburns) is that, when asked for advice, each sergeant has their own biases. Fenton, for example, will always favor a lighter hand while Hernandes' solution to everything is "B-beat the men h-harder, sir." They also bias your initial troop stats towards their relevant stat; Fenton to Loyalty, Hernandes to Discipline and Harlech to Morale. By comparison, Lanzarel gives solid advice, brings a good set of initial men and doesn't screw with your stats, but is only available if you select "Choose a Sergeant" first. Otherwise Cazarosta snatches him up.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 24, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

While interesting, that seems like a lot of spoilers that shouldn't be revealed.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

While interesting, that seems like a lot of spoilers that shouldn't be revealed.

Yeah, glad you're enjoying this, but try to to tone it down, please. Or use spoiler tags. Update:

quote:

You make up your mind about buying the mare, figuring that her humble reliability and easy manner to be well worth the cost.

You go up to the merchant to purchase your new horse. Haggling ensues as you try to talk the seller into lowering her price. You mention the mare's unimpressive musculature, timidity and dull colour. Your points apparently stick, as Faith's seller lets her go for a mere 15 crowns, instead of the 20 crowns asked for.

The purchase completed, you stop by the army stablemasters' tent to pick up a set of saddlery before leading your new horse to the officers' stables.

quote:

You barely have enough time to catch a quick supper at the Officers' Club yourself before the sun goes down. Returning to your comfortable room for the last time, you write off a few letters to your family and go over your equipment and possessions, ensuring that all is in readiness.

After a full night's sleep, you dress, wash and assemble your kit, leaving out the door half an hour after sunrise. It is the work of a few minutes to saddle, feed and prepare provisions for Faith and set off.

You hear Sergeant Lanzerel long before you see him. As you draw closer, the sounds of his dissatisfaction only grow louder. By the time you arrive, the bellowing sound of his voice has stopped, leaving only the veteran himself, along with four terrified Dragoons, each with newly-dulled metal fittings and long canvas covers over the shiny barrels of their carbines.

quote:

Thus finally assembled, the six of you ride out the gate in single file, along the Old Imperial Highway.

Glory — or infamy — awaits.

quote:

The Kharan River Crossing outpost turns out to be a barely fortified and very rudimentary camp some ten kilometres from the actual bridge across the river itself. Hidden in the forests of southern Antar, the outpost serves to prevent the Antari from moving troops or supplies down the Old Imperial Highway.

To that purpose, the King's Army has garrisoned the outpost with some of its best: a half company of the elite Grenadier Guards Regiment. Your small unit of Dragoons has been assigned to accompany them as messengers, scouts and if necessary, a cavalry reserve.

Thus, your duties are simple: patrol the area around the outpost, keep eyes on the bridge over the River Kharan, and maintain contact with other nearby outposts and high command.

quote:

For six months you have discharged these monotonous duties, leading your men through endless patrols through the seemingly-boundless forests of Southern Antar. You have spent countless days riding single-file down narrow dirt trails and game tracks rain or shine, through sickness and health.

Of course, you have not been idle over this long stretch. You have had plenty of time in between patrols and courier missions to see to the condition of the men under your command. You have used that time profitably to:

Drill my men relentlessly.

Gain the loyalty of my men.

Inspire my men by example.

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix
Wealth: 130
Income: 5

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%
Health: 75%
Idealism: 31% Cynicism: 69%
Ruthlessness: 75% Mercy: 25%

Unit Information:
Senior NCO: Sergeant Lanzerel
Discipline: 30%
Morale: 30%
Loyalty: 30%

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Loyalty get. Cronyism is an important part of any military, they should be ready to lie for us in case we blunder.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Let's try to avoid getting shot in the back. Loyalty

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Drill the men.

We better make sure our men will be ready for combat when it comes.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Our meatshields should know how to fight in our place, so drill them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Loyalty. Give me men willing to follow into the gates of hell at a word.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Drill like your lives depended on it. Which they probably do.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That banelord would probably raise our loyal, dead troops as skeletons to fight us anyway. Drill, baby, drill!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Start with building some loyalty. Building some trust between us and our men is necessary. Later on, we can focus on discipline. Morale will come with victories, I imagine, and we need disciplined me who follow orders to obtain them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Loyal meatshields will be terrible meatshields if they break and run as soon as the musketballs start flying. Drill our men until they're proper soldiers - we can earn their loyalty later.

ButtDoktor posted:

That banelord would probably raise our loyal, dead troops as skeletons to fight us anyway.
I'm sure nothing like that could ever happen while we're fighting the antari

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 25, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You have spent most of those six months running your men through drill after drill after drill. Their marksmanship and steadiness under stress have improved significantly, and you would have few qualms in proclaiming their horsemanship some of the best in the regiment.

+10% Discipline

quote:

As summer turns to autumn, the weather begins to take a turn for the worse. The sky is overrun with dark clouds which disgorge an overwhelming amount of rain. The paths which you ride upon, formerly firm, turn into a morass of knee-deep mud under the weeping sky.

After a month and a half of this muddy hell, you step out of your cramped quarters one early morning to find the ground frozen solid. The trees around the outpost are covered with a thin sheen of frost and a bitter northerly wind sends stabs of cold through your thick woollen tunic.

Before you can go back inside to find your greatcoat, a Grenadier ensign, shivering beneath a large, fur-lined cloak, approaches to inform you that the outpost commander wishes to see you and the other officers in his office.

quote:

The commander of your outpost and several other satellite camps is a Wulframite nobleman of the oldest pedigree: Lord Captain Sir Enrique d'al Hunter, 12th Viscount of Wolfswood. A Knight-Captain of the Order of Saint Jerome as well as an officer in the Grenadier Guards, he is a banecaster of the ninth calibre, a powerful force on the battlefield with his knightly bane-hardened plate and enchanted longsword.

Lord Captain Hunter is the epitome of the Grenadier Guards officer: dashing, handsome and reckless to the point of foolishness. His disposition is perhaps well suited for an elite and highly prestigious regiment of heavy infantry, but in his current position commanding a section of a vast and porous defensive front, his aggressive talent is wasted.

Despite his reckless streak, Captain Hunter (as he prefers to be called, eschewing all noble affectations and titles on duty) seems a relatively competent leader. The Captain greets you warmly as the ensign ushers you into his office and you take your place among the other officers.

quote:

"Ah! Sancroix!" He steps forward to shake your hand, as is his habit, even when among his own subordinates. "Very good, glad you could make it. Damned cold won't be making your life much easier, will it?"

You make small talk with the Captain and the other officers for another few minutes as one or two late stragglers file in. When Captain Hunter is finally satisfied that all of his officers are present, he clears his throat.

"Gather around, gentlemen."

Captain Hunter produces a large map and unrolls it over the top of his desk. As you and your fellow officers crowd around, you can see quite clearly that it is a somewhat rough chart of the immediate area.

"I know many of you have been hit with a bit of ennui over the last few days, so this should come as good news: we're about to do a bit of scrapping."

quote:

Captain Hunter explains the situation: The night before, one of the advanced listening posts had spotted a large group of Antari, heading south along the road towards the bridge, perhaps two hundred or so in all. With them are apparently a series of large carts loaded with crates.

"As you well know gentlemen, winter will soon be upon us. It is likely that some Lord of the Congress is attempting a final push against our forces further to the east. I would think it very likely that this force is a supply caravan, loaded down with food or winter supplies for what ever army might be gathering out there. Thus, it is imperative that we stop this force."

It is clear that the Captain is set on battle. A few worried murmurs rattle about in the crowded room. To stop such a force would require immediate action without adequate preparation or reinforcement from the other outposts under the Captain's command, against a force that outnumbers the entire Tierran garrison four to one.

quote:

Captain Hunter outlines his plan: He intends to ambush them as they cross the bridge. Sending the cavalry element of the garrison (that is to say, you) ahead to scout the area and prepare the ground first, the Captain himself will lead most of the rest of the garrison behind you, setting up an ambush on the far side of the river.

When the Antari column arrives and begins its way across the narrow wooden bridge, Hunter's Grenadiers will attack the flanks and rear of the column. At the same time, you and your Dragoons are to occupy the fortified tollhouse on the Tierran side of the river, acting as a blocking force to prevent the Antari from escaping the ambush and continuing down the Imperial Highway.

While the Captain rarely asks for his subordinates' opinions on their orders, you can't help but feel that the Captain's plan is:

Utter foolishness. This reckless act will get us all killed.

Too reckless. The rewards are great but the risk would be enormous.

Risky, but necessary.

A chance for a glorious victory.

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix

Idealism: 31% Cynicism: 69%
Unit Information:
Discipline: 40%

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Risky but necessary.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
His assessment of the value of that convoy cannot be faulted. A pitched battle would be a one-sided slaughter. If we are to do our duty, an ambush ensuring we are on favourable terrain is optimal.

Shirking our duty is not acceptable. Thus, this plan is Risky, but necessary.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

A major Antari supply convoy headed towards the last vestiges of the yearly campaign? Denying this to the enemy is imperative, and securing it for ourselves would be a very comfortable way to spend the winter. We can't not do something, but if Captain Hunter plays this wrong it'll be a bloodbath. With that said, glory and/or horrible death tend to follow risky, but necessary plans like this. I wonder how we'll do in our first proper battle?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It depends on whether the Antari infantry is steady, if they have artillery backup (a possible slaughter) and if their commander keeps a cool head. If the above are true, we will get our asses kicked. If not, we might well win a glorious victory.

Since we don't know any of the above (?), we might as well impress people with our dashing daring-do.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Risky but with our solid boys closing the trap, we've got a great chance!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It depends on whether the Antari infantry is steady, if they have artillery backup (a possible slaughter) and if their commander keeps a cool head. If the above are true, we will get our asses kicked. If not, we might well win a glorious victory.

Since we don't know any of the above (?), we might as well impress people with our dashing daring-do.
Most of this knowledge is available in-game. I'm not sure if Lord Cyrazax has posted anything from it, but Cataphrak (the author) has a habit of including a lot of supplementary info and worldbuilding in extra screens. Off the Stats screen, there's reference information, a list of characters and terms, as well as an overall state of the war that advances with the plot.

Going off of the reference documentation and in-character knowledge, Antari Infantry are almost universally peasant levies - serfs pulled off farmland to do the fighting and dying. Period artillery is still horse-drawn pieces that have next to no tactical mobility and require significant amounts of time to setup and reload - Grapeshot is viciously murderous, but we wouldn't encounter any artillery that's ready to fire in a convoy escort unless they knew we were coming. I can't speak for Antari commanders, but Tierran commanders are pulled from the ranks of nobility rather than soldiers. The King's army doesn't actually have standardized training for officers, instead foisting that off on the regiments; As a result, officer quality can vary widely. We might have a chance to meet (and do horrible things to) a product of that system in the next chapter.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 26, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Most of this knowledge is available in-game. I'm not sure if Lord Cyrazax has posted anything from it, but Cataphrak (the author) has a habit of including a lot of supplementary info and worldbuilding in extra screens. Off the Stats screen, there's reference information, a list of characters and terms, as well as an overall state of the war that advances with the plot.

Going off of the reference documentation and in-character knowledge, Antari Infantry are almost universally peasant levies - serfs pulled off farmland to do the fighting and dying. In the League of Antar, non-banebloods aren't even people. Period artillery is still horse-drawn pieces that have next to no tactical mobility and require significant amounts of time to setup and reload - Grapeshot is viciously murderous, but we wouldn't encounter any artillery that's ready to fire in a convoy escort unless they knew we were coming. I can't speak for Antari commanders, but Tierran commanders are pulled from the ranks of nobility rather than soldiers. The King's army doesn't actually have standardized training for officers, instead foisting that off on the regiments; As a result, officer quality can vary widely. We might have a chance to meet (and do horrible things to) a product of that system in the next chapter.

I have posted a link to the reference material, it's in the OP, and right here.

I haven't posted the State of the War or the glossary because it's a lot of lore to take in for a first runthrough, and it can be off putting and distracting. If there's interest, though, I'll start posting it.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 25, 2015

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Risky but necessary, besides, defense is toxic to morale.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It might be cool to use State of the War as interludes, after major story events have run their course.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 26, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It might be cool to use State of the War as interludes, after major story events have run their course.

Good idea. I'll start with the end of this chapter. Update:

quote:

You cannot ignore the utter recklessness of the Captain's plan, but you must admit that the risk is well worth the result and that allowing an Antari army the supplies to launch a final winter offensive would be disastrous.

+2% Idealism

quote:

Over the next quarter of an hour, Captain Hunter goes over the ambush positions in detail, using wooden tokens to simulate your forces, as well as those of the enemy. When he is confident that you have all reached an understanding over the planned ambush, he dismisses his own Grenadier officers, leaving you alone with the Captain.

Captain Hunter beckons you to approach. You step up right to the edge of the desk.

"You must think me mad, Cornet. To send fifty men against two hundred like this."

Before you can respond either way, the Captain continues.

"No matter. I'd think myself mad if I presented such a plan in the mirror. No need to worry though, I have a plan to even the odds, and you'll be the one to put it into action."

quote:

Captain Hunter reaches into a a large desk drawer and pulls out a bulky canvas satchel. With one hand, he flips open the flap to reveal a large block of blood red wax, smelling of cinnamon and pine sap. Next to it are hundreds of strips of parchment, neatly bundled, each etched with an intricate series of runes: baneseals.

"You have a reputation as an excellent officer, so I feel no reluctance in trusting this essential task to you. I require you to set these seals in preparation for a cast when you first arrive. I've drawn up a diagram and placed it at the bottom of the pack, so there is no excuse for any error. Needless to say, this cast will set the opening odds in our favour considerably. It would not be hyperbole to say that the success of the operation depends on it. Thus, I shall require you to make preparing these seals and setting them in the proper pattern to be top priority."

The Captain sets the satchel down in front of you.

"Take this with you and inform your men. I want your patrol saddled and out the gate in two hours. Dismissed."

quote:

Satchel in hand, you head for the enlisted men's barracks to rouse your Dragoons and inform them of the upcoming action in which they are to take part. Around you, you can already see the Grenadiers assembling by platoon. It will take them nearly half the day to arrive to the ambush position on foot.

You try to ignore the nervous sensation in the pit of your stomach as you push open the rough wooden plank door and enter the smoky and ill-lit common room of the barracks. This will be your first engagement leading your own men into combat. There will be no Captain Montez to offer you advice, no fellow cornets to watch your back. You and you alone will be responsible for leading your men to victory or death.

quote:

Your men are eating breakfast when you inform them of them of their new assignment. Despite the obvious danger of the mission, they wolf down their stew and black bread quickly and are at the stables, saddling their mounts within half an hour. Six months without any sort of excitement has left them spoiling for a fight.

You saddle up and strap the satchel to Faith's side. Giving your sabre and pistol a last check, you climb atop your mount and ease the animal towards the outpost gates. By the time you arrive, your men are already present, mounted up and ready to go.

Your heart pounds in your chest as your horse carries you to the head of the formation. Not even the chill morning wind can cool your anxiety. After a quick glance over your shoulder to ensure that your men are in formation, you face forward.

"Dragoons! Advance!"

quote:

It is ten kilometres as the gryphon flies from the outpost to the bridge, but the winding path down through the woods make the actual travelling distance more like twenty.

Normally, it would be an easy ride of four hours or so to reach your destination, but today time is of the essence. It would be wise to pick up the pace a bit more.

You could also risk trying to go as fast as possible. With luck and good horses, you could make the trip in less than an hour and a half, but the strain on your mounts would be immense.

Do you:

Take it easy. Let us spare the horses a bit.

Pick up the pace a bit. We cannot afford to dawdle.

drat the horses! Ride at full speed!

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix

Idealism: 33% Cynicism: 67%

Unit Information:
Discipline: 40%

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Pick up the pace a bit tiring the horses before a charge doesn't seem a good idea. On the other hand, arriving late would be quite embarrassing.

This army continues to be the worst by setting up ambushes and leaving with enough time to barely make it. Hopefully we've scheduled for the baneseals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Full Speed Ahead!

• Locked thread