Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I will be completely satisfied if this game turns out to be even half the time waster that JC2 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I can land all the planes in the game without exploding them, but generally using any of the planes for a bombing run is a pain just because you only have a couple seconds where you can actually cause damage. As you approach, you can only damage a base from about 1 KM or less, further out than that and none of the things you can break have spawned on the map yet. Then quite often all the bits of debris that flew up in the air from the cannon would hit your plane and cause it to explode.

So if you actually wanted to blow stuff up with that type of firepower, only way to do it reliably was to mod a helicopter or ground vehicle to have the same autocannon, which always produced amusing results.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Odobenidae posted:

Good news because in JC3 some jets have actual bombs/air-to-surface missiles (with a bombing crosshair displayed on the ground)! Planes also have :siren: rudder control :siren: which means that you no longer have to bank your plane just to get it to go a smidge to the left!
Nice, but I wonder how/if they are still going to do "bridge limbo" now that we can destroy bridges...

Which reminds me, you know all the race challenges in JC2? Like there are base jump races, then airplane races, then car/truck/atv races, then boat races right? Well JC2 only really has two types of races: vehicle races and non-vehicle races. Next time you are at the start line for a boat or a car race, call in black market drop for a helicopter or an airplane and try it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I always got around the tedious traveling in JC2 by installing the mod that gives you parachute thrusters by default (so you don't have to buy them from the black market every time you load a game or die) merged with the mod that makes it so they never need that cooldown and can run infinitely. So you could travel around by parachute just about as fast as most of the airplanes. It was really a benefit for traveling over water where you can't grapple along, using it you can easily and quickly cross the biggest stretches of water between the major islands without a boat or plane, which also made reaching and clearing out all the oil platforms a lot easier. The mod also had a "super thrusters" option, where they turned the speed dial up to 11 and you could propel yourself around the map at absurd speed (see video). The superman flying mod was also based on the infinite parachute thrusters mod, but made it a bit harder to shoot while flying so I didn't like it as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCNI6WHE6g

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So far this has been running perfectly smooth for me, although it should be, since I'm running an i7-3770k, 16 GB of RAM, a GTX 980 with a 1080p g-sync display and the game is loading off a SSD with plenty of free space. No crashes so far with my longest session being a couple hours. I will add to the "re/loading times for challenges could be better" echo chamber. Granted, most of the time it is only a couple seconds to load or restart a challenge so not a major loss, but it is just long enough to interrupt the "flow" of chaos. Also there needs to be an option to disable the leaderboards, since I don't really care if 3 or 300 people beat me in ragdoll physics. Tracking and displaying my personal best is fine, but the spam of "~~!!!nerd!!!~~#5689934 beat you 3 seconds ago" just makes me quit reading that corner of the screen.

I've actually just been flying around using the wingsuit a lot and not blowing up stuff that much because getting a good cruise around with that is totally a game on its own.

After burning a huge amount of time in JC2, it is taking me a while to quit throwing grenades when I want to grapple. The space/control options to navigate menus is rapidly growing on me and I may come to actually prefer it, but some of the other button choices are questionable. Like release tethers being assigned to V by default. I also wish it was possible to bind multiple keys to a single function, so I'll probably change a few of the controls once I iron out what really needs to be different. Also in JC2 you could set a waypoint in the map just by middle clicking where you wanted, having to select something then bring up a menu takes too long even if it is consolidating the waypoint and fast travel systems into one page.

I will say that car handling on pavement has improved considerably since JC2, but the physics of cars + terrain isn't so great (perhaps they should take a page from Mad Max here and include some form of suspension), since in one of the first race challenges a little past the start are a couple small rocks on the side of the road, and if you hit them it will flip your car sometimes several times. I've also seen a couple other oddball physics moments, like when shooting that flak cannon at bases, sometimes the shots veer off sideways as if blown by some impossibly strong wind. Also in that early mission where the jets are bombing the town, one of the jets in the cutscene must have hit some major turbulence since it was spinning like a top as it shot off into the distance like it was launched by some looney tunes explosion. Also in that first chase mission an enemy vehicle hit a rock on the side of a hill which propelled it at warp speed right into my face, knocking me off the truck, but I lived and just had to wingsuit back to catch up. So some pretty amusing physics moments.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Jusupov posted:

In steam add
--vfs-fs dropzone --vfs-archive patch_win64 --vfs-archive archives_win64 --vfs-fs
to launch options then create an empty corona_video.bikc in \just cause 3\dropzone\videos\ (<- you will have to create both of these directories too) and you skip the opening intro

Just a note to anyone using this, it also apparently disables the DLC.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ralith posted:

I used the Comet to haul the super-boat to a garage. It just BARELY has enough lift to carry it upwards. Much easier than grappling it the whole way.

Grappling it the whole way gets a lot easier once you max out the grapple upgrades, then a single grapple pulls it up pretty easily and you can just stand on top of it in the stunt position and surf it all the way up the mountain, it takes like ~5 minutes. Also then you get to say "In Just Cause 3 I surfed a speedboat up the side of a mountain.". If you are on a PC it helps if you bind mouse4 or mouse5 to release tethers, so you can quickly retract, release, and drop a new tether without really losing much momentum.

Another thing on the PC, I have found that flying airplanes gets a whole lot more precise and predictable if you swap the roll and turn controls. So make A and D TURN and make Z and C ROLL instead of the other way around, since most of the time that gives you way more turning ability without screwing up your altitude or having to roll 90 degrees to make minor adjustments to heading without changing your altitude. Once it is set that way you only need to tap roll once in a while to level off anyway, so it works a lot better with how planes fly in JC3. Airplane handling is way different from JC2, it is like gravity does not apply to rolling anymore so even if you fly with the wings 90 degrees to the ground the plane doesn't really lose any altitude, its just "wrong" somehow.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Game worked fine before the patch, game still works fine after the patch. Except now every time I go to exit the game and return to windows, it crashes.

It doesn't crash when I just alt-tab out, and doesn't crash while playing. So, if it is going to crash to the desktop, doing it when one is attempting to exit to the desktop is more amusing than annoying.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

AirRaid posted:

I hardly ever re-reel while wingsuiting (more of a Parachute helper for me). Reel-in boost for wingsuiting is a gamechanger though.

You can do both at the same time as long as you are careful about altitude. Re-reeling while boosting, just hold down the boost key/button the whole time while you re-reel and fly. Makes wingsuiting absurdly fast and a little bit more dangerous.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
For all the improvements to explosions and destruction in JC3, JC2 still has like 20x as much stuff to explode/collect/etc.

In JC2, progression was tied to blowing stuff up, in JC3 it is tied to challenges which are unlocked by blowing stuff up. I think I liked the JC2 method a bit better, they could have done it pretty much the same way in JC3. Have it so unlocks are tied to chaos and cost money. Blowing up stuff earns a lot of chaos and a little money, doing challenges causes a little chaos and earns a lot of money (and is repeatable, in JC2 if you were short on money, you could quickly earn enough for pretty much anything by fast traveling to any of the parachute/freefall races and running them several times within a minute or two). And seriously, who didn't have like 15 million dollars in JC2 by a couple hours into the chaos, aside from the very beginning of the game money was never an issue in JC2 because you got money from everything including several infinite sources.

Perhaps the biggest complaint I have is about enemy spawns. In JC2, enemies always spawned at near the maximum LOD render distance for that particular type of enemy and usually the system tried to spawn them behind something. So ground troops spawned from behind a building some distance away and had to run to reach you and simply wouldn't spawn at all if there were no buildings nearby (instead appropriate vehicles would spawn) and vehicles spawned about 1-2 KM away usually over a hill or somewhere else out of sight and had to drive all the way to reach you. So while the enemy spawns were still infinite, they usually came from predictable directions. In JC3, enemies will on rare occasions spawn right in front of you, but most of the time they spawn just behind you, which if you were already fighting someone else means you get stuck in a crossfire and it sucks so you have to wingsuit away. They spawn unpredictably and usually behind you in wide open spaces which is just plain unnatural. It is hugely annoying to jump on to something about the same size as a couple helicopter landing platforms, kill a couple enemies on it, then you turn around and start shooting down at some other guy, only for another couple enemies to spawn ON the platform right behind you. That is just frustrating and annoying game design, when you kill all the bad guys on some given relatively inaccessible high ground the game should never spawn more enemies on it when you aren't looking! JC2 was really good at not spawning enemies in annoying ways, I have no idea why they broke that. Spawn them over a hill and make them drive to reach us, it is waaaaayyy less annoying than constantly shoving enemies up the players rear end.

Although the one thing that is safe to say JC3 dramatically improves not just over JC2 or JC1, but over the vast majority of open world games in general is the terrain. The islands may be big largely for the sake of being big and sparsely populated, but the quality of the terrain is vastly superior to anything else I've seen in gaming so far. Going from a displacement map to volumetric terrain may have cost a lot of extra data, but being able to do caves, tunnels and outcroppings with no visible transition points to a mesh geometry of a different engine type or obvious holes in the displacement map that don't render from a distance is a pretty big thing. And it wouldn't surprise me if that was a big part of what ate up so much development time, nobody has really done that on this scale before so I'm betting it will probably be a few years before the tools are really refined enough that we can get an island with terrain as detailed as JC3 but as densely populated with stuff to do as JC2 was.

Here is hoping for a Just Cause 4 which just polishes up stuff a little bit but is otherwise only a bigger, better, and denser JC3. Sort of like how JC2 is a lot like JC1 but better in pretty much every way, bigger, denser, a lot more polished, with hours and hours worth of stuff to blow up.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The wingsuit is the main thing Just Cause 3 got undeniably better than the parachute grapple in JC2. Otherwise JC2 throws realism under the bus in favor of fun factor and just got it right. Everything from the world map, to the vehicle handling, to the characters/plot in JC2 ham it up in the name of fun gameplay.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The really goofy poo poo in JC2 is that if you are paying attention you will discover that contrary to the prompts indicating there are 4 types of races: land, sea, air and parachute specifically, there are in fact only two types of races: parachute and vehicle. There are a good amount of boat and car races that can be completed in an airplane. If you can get a car or a boat to pass through the loop in an airplane race challenge while you are riding it, the game still accepts that as clearing it. Practically every vehicle race can be completed in the small helicopter, it is the kind of free for all that the JC3 team just completely missed which costs a great deal of the random amusement factor.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The helicarrier remains in the sky even after you complete all the missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

JC3 movement controls prevent you from moving in certain ways unless the character model can lock into certain animations.This is pretty next-gen, and it works in stuff like GTA 5, but it's pretty lovely for a game like JC3.

Like, in JC2, you could pivot on a single spot. Rico's leg's would wiggle in this weird way, but you ultimately you maintained control over him.

In JC3, Rico has all these animations for starting and stopping, turning around a certain way, etc. There are a bunch of distinct animations for shooting the grappling hook during certain movement animations, and they're all bad because they delay your shot and you can't actually cancel out of them.

This is weird-rear end game design. ofc Rico moves more like a real human being, but I certainly don't give a poo poo about that. JC3 is full of "flourishes" like that, where looking next-gen apparently superceded gameplay.

Another example would be how fun upgrades are locked behind side-missions, but doing side-missions and unlocking upgrades also forces you to watch gameplay videos that don't load properly. The side missions are that interesting either.

One of the worst examples of what you describe is why motorcycle controls/races are so bad, steering motorcycles is slaved to Rico's leaning animation which induces a significant lag from control input to response both in starting to turn and stopping a turn. Also vehicle handling off road or at any significant speed is terrible because as soon as you hit a bump or a rock or something gravity all but stops working on the car, which makes boat races even worse because boats spend more time in the air than on water with the wave system they have running.

• Locked thread