Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

In-game currency has been left out of this installment, making the series' well known 'supply drops' more easily accessible and imaginative for the player. However, this affects difficulty; for example: if the player chooses to ride a tank, the enemy AI will match the power of it and adopt weapons that would be able to take down a tank.

I had no idea this was a thing for JC3, holy poo poo. I loved JC2 but had two problems: the grapple 'n parachute traversal always felt a bit slow to me, and I constantly ran out of cash ordering fun jets and poo poo. The wingsuit and the "NO STRINGS ATTACHED" supply drops along with the game rebalancing to accommodate your sick drops is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lothire posted:

I'll be giving this game a run through a few days after release, but I never touched a Just Cause game before. I was under the impression that this installment was going to be have more destructive environments, but I am still not entirely certain what that will entail. The last game I had a literal blast destroying stuff in was Red Faction: Gorilla, where virtually everything could be blown apart. My brother was particularly into it. Do I need to lower my expectations going into JC3, or will most things be on the table for getting blown up, including the table itself?

watch any video on it, you can blow up every bridge, car, gas station, base, tower, and tree in the island. JC is pretty much all about blowing poo poo up and it looks like they really took the physics engine to its max with how much stuff comes apart and crumbles.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For those interested in some longform gameplay, check out these vids---legit great gameplay and loving around, great fun. The guy who does the vids is a bit annoying but it's tolerable and worth watching if you're interested in how the crazy poo poo for this new one will play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40E8zfaUlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB95Tirz4L4

Oh, and this slightly newer one. The crate drop in this game is basically the MGSV crate drop dialed up to 11. Imagine a mammoth loving crate containing a jet plane exploding onto a tank and blowing up all the cars around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6exCjo5_q4

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 17, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you hate explosions then you will hate this game.

I kind of admire how the studio is openly saying "gently caress story it's thin and just an excuse to blow things up and fly around" because why not? games like Far Cry 4 or most Ubisoft games and open world scenarios seem to just bog you down with checklist collectathon bullshit and slow you from enjoying setpieces and cool poo poo like gyrocopters and batshit weapons. It's just a hugely enjoyable change of pace from all the games that lock you down. Here it's just "here's you planes, your c4, and your wingsuit, do everything you want." As much as I loved MGSV it was hell developing all the poo poo I wanted to play with.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

You're thinking of FC3 not 4.

After you finished the short prologue, Far Cry 4 was like here's your grappling hook, wingsuit, parachute, and gyrocopter, have fun

:colbert:

True, FC4 was much more freeform. I love FC4 but some of the Ubisoft elements to it were a bit overwhelming. That wingsuit was crazy good but JC3 looks like the best loving wingsuit experience ever. Never thought anything would come close to the joy of locomotion since Spider-Man 2 but this might overtake it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Klyith posted:

Giant Bomb video, it's one of the ones where some developers are controlling it and doing more of a guided tour. Those are a lot less neutral than normal GB quick looks but if you want to see a nice selection of stuff in the game (and the features they want to show off) it's good.

So what I'm seeing is this is absolutely Just Cause 2: Now With 2015 Graphics and Physics. Same chaos, same cheese, still best enjoyed in god mode. There were those reports that Mad Max was done by Avalanche's A-team and JC3 was their B-team. In some ways I think it shows -- it's a very safe & sequel-y sequel. But in a lot of ways that's all I want, more and better of the same.

JC3 being made by a B-team surprises me, I assumed that although Mad Max was fun it did feel a bit restricted. Also surprised anything involving Giant Bomb and this game would be called "neutral" as it's been no secret that everyone on the site/podcast is absolutely in love with this game.

I'm fine with JC3 being "JC2: 2." There were always some rough points of JC2, money and slow speed of parachuting being two of them. Both of those problems are solved and the game looks incredibly beautiful so I'm ready to roll with this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Klyith posted:

That's what all the stories were, that Avalanche put their more experienced people on Mad Max and JC3 was the young guns.

It just goes to show that experience isn't everything and conjuring a new open-world game from scratch is hard.

It's more that on the quick look EX things with the developer in the room, they don't really call out anything negative. For a regular quick look they'll say a thing they dislike even for games they are in love with. It's not neutral like "robot objective", more about being even-handed and honest about their experience.

(Like, it's pretty obvious in that video that the dev has god mode turned on. The GBeast crew don't say anything about it, when I think there's actually an interesting conversation to have about the utility of player death in the JC game. I played pretty much all of JC2 with god mode, because dying when you crash a helicopter into a tank is just an impediment to my very serious experiments in tank-helicopter interactions.)

I just automatically assume "god mode" is JC3 in a nutshell, I mean you have unlimited explosives and infinite monies. They did mention the game scales defenses with what you're packing though to keep things more explodey

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh why drive when you can fly with jets and wingsuits

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I am wondering how diverse the game world will be this time - last time there was everything from jungle to desert to snow covered mountains, but pretty much everything I've seen in trailers for JC3 looks similarly mediterranean. Which makes sense given the setting but I'd hope there is more to it

there's different biomes in this, much like the past game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

since I'll be too busy getting wisdom teeth yanked on tuesday im just going to download dis digitally. probably for the best since I never want the game to physically leave my machine anyways

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cubey posted:

JC2's DLC was just weird poo poo that was there if you wanted it, none of it felt like they left it out of the game to sell you back later or whatever. If this were a Battlefront situation where they were selling at best half a game and expecting you to pony up for a season pass that cost almost as much as the game itself to actually have as much content as a 60 dollar game should have, it'd be one thing, but there's absolutely nothing to indicate that'll be the case for JC3.

I didn't even know JC2 even had DLC because most of the additional poo poo for it was mods. There's no precedent for things in JC games being locked out with DLC--and honestly I don't even recall the last Deus Ex being bogged down with DLC either besides maybe one bonus story mission thing. In conclusion don't listen to the crazy gently caress who is saying this game is cancer "BECAUSE SQUEENIX"

Flint_Paper posted:

My PS4 copy just showed up. My god. It's full of stars.

let's get some rad impressions up in dis bitch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

drat I just bought a bunch of games on Black Friday sale and just remembered this game is coming out in a few days. Convince me not to buy it, please.

nah buy it

it will be more fun than rear end creed or evolve or whatever terrible poo poo is on sale today

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

Happy to try and answer any questions! Might also try streaming it in a bit. I've never streamed before so PREPARE FOR AWKWARD "umm"s.

are you on console or PC, and if console how does it run

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

On PS4. Runs really nicely! Streaming here for a bit: http://www.twitch.tv/brainmage

nice. people on the retard hive of neogaf are having shitfits about performance but it's neogaf so lol. I think there's 2 patches being put out for ps4 on launch but I have no idea besides preload.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hollenhammer posted:

How much of the game is destructible?
Can I blow up all the buildings like I'm playing Mercs 2?

this needs to be in OP but you can pretty much blow up bridges, gas stations, every bit of enemy bases, virtually whatever except the main towns where innocent people NPCs live

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

As much as I value SA for certain things, Neogaf (poo poo, even Reddit) is infinitely better for info on a better timescale and does better with discussions

ahaha ok this is the same site that got wind of the MGSV base microtransactions and then kneejerked into a meltdown how the entire game was ruined

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I just hope getting maximum wanted level spawns jets and everything to attack you. Need some challenge for jet rampages

havent seen evidence ofit yet but the game devs claimed "the bigger your toys, the bigger the retaliation comes to equalize" so i'd imagine poo poo gets real. from streams I watched, quite a few bases roll out more tanks and choppers if you're causing a stink. quite a lot of them also have Anti-air rockets and guns to predicate your aerial follies, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

So is there any proof this isn't another pretty but ultimately shallow and far too stretched out Avalanche release?

it looks like a Just Cause game dude, what you see is what you get

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

GMG has it for $19.25 with code: 23OFFJ-USTCUS-E3SALE with keys direct from Square (so no shenanigans going on).

is that code just for DLC

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the preload for this results in like 41 gigs. that's a bigger goddamn game install than MKX plus ALL its DLC, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, and basically anything else. There was like a 4 or 6 gig preliminary install before the "real" game install so who knows.

Even if there's slight framerate problems with the console, this is Avalanche--they've had a good rep with fixing Mad Max's issues in the first few weeks and have a nice rapport with modders and the community. I'd be shocked if they don't quickly iron out any major issues.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thought this unlocked at midnight for digital console release, but it's not till like 3am? man gently caress off, what is that poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Here, have this fun playground. To get all the toys though you have to to hours and hours of menial tasks. Also, we're not going to tell you right away where the menial tasks are, you have to unlock the locations of those too. Have fun with all your toys, in the last mission.

This was my first thought too after doing poorly at yet another car racing challenge (and then needing to wait another 3 loving minutes for load) Some of the challenges are Not loving Fun at All. Had one with a boat where you need to constantly get off the gun, drive it, then get on the gun and try to find poo poo to destroy which sucked. Most if not all the car race ones are awful so I won't be getting too many vehicle mods for them.

So far I've had loads of fun but half the challenges are really poor, and the load times for poo poo can be extremely unacceptable. I thought Bloodborne was tedious but loading 2 minutes after every challenge failure is loving ridiculous.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

only reason I'd want minimap is to polish off things I missed in bases or settlements---sometimes I have no diea where that one transformer or fuel thingie is so I'll have to gauge it by way of the regular map (which doesnt zoom in as much I want.)

I kind of hate how slow recovery is when you get shot or hit out of the air---I just careen down to the ground, but luckily fall damage is extremely lenient in this game. Also kind of poo poo that they emphasized "money system is gone so everything is free and up for grabs" but I still have to go and find beacons. The 30 minute or so cooldown is enough, just give me infinite beacons.

I'm still having fun but jesus christ the loading times, I don't even want to do challenges because that's like 6 minutes total loading front to back.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd also really like if there was a future patch that did away with this stupid "X BEAT UR RECORD" bullshit on my screen. I don't loving care, please go away

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

map is beyond loving useless when it comes to trying in vain to find that ONE MORE OBJECT in a huge sprawling base. I just gave up after 20 minutes trying to find a loving transformer. the frustrations are just limitless because of no goddamn minimap directions of god forbid a better zoom for the normal one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Like this game is baller and all and usually my tolerance for busted games is very high but the technical issues blow my mind. How they haven't immediately jumped on this and released any sort of patch is insane to me.

they've acknowledged there's "tech problems" and are working on patches for poo poo. all I want is less FPS stutter, MUCH shorter loads, offline mode, and gettin rid of that social record poo poo popup. any kind of objective compass would be gravy but right now it's too tedious to play this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I am so torn, I love 90% of this game but the 10% that is bad, is REALLY REALLY BAD. Why the gently caress is it so hard to make vehicles control like not hot dog poo poo in 2015?

same, I love blowing up poo poo and engaging in 20-minute epic standoffs in a sprawling compound but then either the framerate chugs, I'll have to play Where's Waldo with a missing thing to destroy for 10-20 minutes like a doofus, or the challenges unlocked will be tedious.

Certain things just keep grinding the experience to a crawl at times but the highs when it comes to dealing with the armies are grand. Sometimes I'll have to stop and remember I can use the grapple for so much more; I was engaging in choppers for a while on a moving truck and thought wait a sec, then tethered those fucks to the rest of the convoy and took them all out. Immensely satisfying whenever you can play puppetmaster with aerial enemies and bring them down on everyone.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ahahah that transformer on Vigilator Sud is EXACTLY the one that pissed me off royal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

[quote="Brightman" post="453571486"]
Oh it's dumber than that because it's actually the 9th upgrade worth 68 gears that lets you reel-in straight from the wingsuit.

jesus christ what the gently caress were they thinking, 68 gears?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've found that at least putting my ps4 as Offline saves me from those loving obnoxious leaderboard popups (WHICH STILL POP UP EVEN WHEN YOU "TURN THEM OFF" IN OPTIONS) and make loading a bit better but the framerate still really chugs with explosions. It got REALLY bad last night when I played. probably should have waited another month to release it. The amount of time without a patch is really discouraging, especially from Avalanche.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like the ps4 patch addressed loving nothing. same fps issues, same annoying online poo poo. it's just dogshit on consoles. if I didn't get so far on this I would have said gently caress it and tried PC but I'm already tired of this. god why did this have to be the one ps4 game I bought digital, I was so sure it would be great lol. that'll teach me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i wonder if the next patch will make this playable on ps4 in terms of "fps not dipping to 19 every loving time things explode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

I avoided this game because of the reported performance issues on the PS4, but see that there was a recent patch for that? How does it run these days?

none of the patches they put out ever fixed anything. I deleted this long ago when I still got 20FPS and worse from doing virtually anything fun.

• Locked thread