Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The holidays are around the corner, what better excuse to get drunk and fat? Egg nog can help you do both!

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html
Every fall for several years we've posted this recipe which includes raw eggs and takes at least 1-3 weeks to age. This means if you make a batch this weekend, it should just barely be ready in time for Thanksgiving and should taste even better by the time Christmas and New Years roll around.

One to three weeks, you might ask, won't the raw eggs turn rotten and turn Thanksgiving into a projective vomit food poisoning disaster? Well, normally they would but we're going to be dumping almost half a gallon of hard liquor in there and by my rough estimate it comes out to about 20% alcohol by volume. So feel safe knowing that it should be as sterile as a bottle of Listerine (or insert your mom joke in here)

Currently I have a batch of egg nog in my fridge right now that dates back to January 2013. I forgot to take a photo of it, so here's a picture of its predecessor.

Now, we've been doing this same recipe for about 5 years and I think it's time to step up our game! If you're an old timer or if you're feeling especially experimental, try to come up with ideas to improve this classic booze nog recipe. I've always enjoyed the more custardy flavor of store-bought egg nog, so I'm going to try cooking several batches to several different temperatures to see if any of them can replicate that store-bought custard flavor. If you have other ideas on how to improve the eggnog, shoot for it!

edit: Turns out there are some newer recipes which tweak the recipe in some ways and might be worth trying out as well:
Alton Brown: http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Cook's Illustrated: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8318-how-we-developed-great-and-safe-aged-eggnog

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm a fermentation OG and will eat all sorts of old moldy bubbly stuff, but something about dumping eggs into liquor and letting it sit for months has never really done it for me. :( godspeed you true eggnogers, I'll stick with my thick custardy poo poo cut with brandy.

look forward to your custardy experiments.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've been making Alton Brown's recipe each year since that episode first aired. I've toyed around with different liquors, but adventuring beyond just that sounds like a Good Idea.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is a great idea. Are you going to try vizzling at different steps centered around 160 or so and see how it goes? I agree I like the custardy ones from the dairy more than I care to admit, and the guests typically appreciate the boozy raw recipe for its booze content but that's about it... there's got to be a way to make one with less of a punch but make sure it's not essentially anglaise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I'm a fermentation OG and will eat all sorts of old moldy bubbly stuff, but something about dumping eggs into liquor and letting it sit for months has never really done it for me. :( godspeed you true eggnogers, I'll stick with my thick custardy poo poo cut with brandy.

look forward to your custardy experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDhjN8dYYE

Here's a video of some scientists demonstrating how anti-bacterial the alcohol in aged eggnog is. They spike it with 12 contaminated eggs' worth of salmonella and when they tested it 3 weeks later, the salmonella was completely eradicated

Now consider this: since the 1990's one in 20,000 eggs has salmonella. If you ate one egg a day for 55 years, you'd get one egg with salmonella.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 7, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I think I'm gonna take the plunge tonight! :woop:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

I think I'm gonna take the plunge tonight! :woop:

Alright I bought everything but I'll mix it tomorrow.

Also god drat I spent like $40 in booze and about $15 on eggs and dairy. This better be good loving eggnog.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 8, 2015

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Usually forget about aged egg nog but remembered this year back in June so will have 6 months on it. Hopefully it's good and I'll do a full year for 2016. Pretty much followed the recipe at the top of the OP to get a base line. Ended up with 3 and maybe a quarter quart mason jars full and an angel food cake made from the whites.

How is best served? Straight or cut a little bit with the cream/egg whites?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Eggnog is the only thing that keeps me sane during the Christmas season. It is literally the only good thing besides my collection of mugs. It's the only thing I can drink in front of my Mom without her bitching. I've been using my great grandmother's recipe since forever, in fact, my grandmother gave it to me when I was teething. I can't give up the specific recipe, but it's very similar to Alton Brown's.

My life right now is a countdown to Nog season.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

biggfoo posted:

With freshly grated Nutmeg.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok I made mine just now and it's in the fridge. Is it supposed to smell like a hobo's breath?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 8, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes. It will smell that way until next year when it has mellowed. I just drank a glass of last year's, though, and there is almost no detectable alcohol.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDhjN8dYYE

Here's a video of some scientists demonstrating how anti-bacterial the alcohol in aged eggnog is. They spike it with 12 contaminated eggs' worth of salmonella and when they tested it 3 weeks later, the salmonella was completely eradicated

Now consider this: since the 1990's one in 20,000 eggs has salmonella. If you ate one egg a day for 55 years, you'd get one egg with salmonella.

oh no, I completely agree. don't get me wrong! it's just an irrational gut reaction on my part. nothing to do with salmonella.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

biggfoo posted:

Usually forget about aged egg nog but remembered this year back in June so will have 6 months on it. Hopefully it's good and I'll do a full year for 2016. Pretty much followed the recipe at the top of the OP to get a base line. Ended up with 3 and maybe a quarter quart mason jars full and an angel food cake made from the whites.

I usually forget too, but I just remembered last week and bought all the ingredients. I'll mix it in this weekend. I wasn't sure how to use up an entire gallon. So I was convinced I'd be able to have half aged until next year, but I mentioned eggnog to a co-worker earlier today and suddenly everyone wants some!

I spent $100 on alcohol. Goddamn Australia :(

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Do you have the keep the liquor exactly the same as long as the total alcohol equals out? I'm inclined to just use 100% brandy and save the bourbon for other stuff. Maybe keep the dark rum contingent.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Definitely keep the dark rum. Make sure it's something piratey like Smith and Cross, or Coruba doped with a bit of Wray and Nephew. The combination of cognac and funky rum is a match made in heaven.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Do you think the aging process would do anything to the lactose in the milk/cream? There's always lactose free milk but I'm not sure how the taste difference would impact the flavor. Also I'm curious if it's like cheese where aging it reduces the amount of lactose.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

Definitely keep the dark rum. Make sure it's something piratey like Smith and Cross, or Coruba doped with a bit of Wray and Nephew. The combination of cognac and funky rum is a match made in heaven.

Would you suggest changing the ratio from a liter of bourbon to half cup rum to cup cognac?

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 12, 2015

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Oh man, sounds great. I'm going to give this a go. Any recommendations on the cognac? I rarely drink the stuff.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Hennessey VS is relatively cheap and easy to find. I really like E&J Brandy for an even cheaper option (not Cognac, made in California).

I'm probably going to make a half portion of the Bitten Word recipe with Maison Rouge VS and Kraken Rum, it's what I already have on hand.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
:woop:
Been doin this for like 5 years or more because of the nog threads. Thanks! I really like store bought nog, but the 2 don't even exist in the same mindspace for me. I don't spike the store stuff.

I use a recipe from chow.com, which after reading the link in the OP is the same one! poo poo is good. I make 3 gallons early November (this past Sunday). I'm pretty loving stoked this year as I got eggs from friends w/ back yard chickens. Unfortunately I couldn't get the full 36, so I supplemented with store bought 'cage free' eggs. Obvious difference between the types and yolks, but I'm hoping to get some more flavor out. I've currently got 12 quart ball jars chilling in the fridge. Does it even need refrigeration?

For serving, I like to mix 2:1 Nog:Heavy cream or just on its lonesome.

For liquor, I used Evan Williams Bourbon, Bacardi spiced rum & St Remy Brandy. Usually use Myers, didn't see it at the liquor store though. I've tried Kraken, and don't think it lends itself well to this. I started out w/ just one gallon when I first started and now I have so many people request it that I have to make huge batches.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I ended up making the OPs recipe with some dark John Watlings rum I had from my honeymoon a year ago along with some Jim beam and hennessy VS. Very excited to crack this stuff open for the holiday celebrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I nogged with Evan Williams white, Plantation Dark Rum, and Fundador Brandy de Jerez. We'll see how this goes!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ben Nevis posted:

Would you suggest changing the ratio from a liter of bourbon to half cup rum to cup cognac?

I'd do either equal parts or slightly more cognac than rum.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kenning posted:

I'd do either equal parts or slightly more cognac than rum.

I ended up doing 4 cups bourbon, 1 cup rum, 1 cup brandy. Made things easier and I didn't end up with extra rum/brandy.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

On a nog-related side note: I noticed that they are now selling almond nog, and decided to try it when it was on sale. Biiiiig mistake. It's absolutely undrinkable.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've always wanted to try making Nog but haven't got around to it, I have about a litre of Jameson's whiskey I'm unlikely to use, would that be suitable instead of the bourbon???

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made a few bottles of nog 3 years ago. I still have one bottle left and I'm guessing that there is no maximum age as long as it is continuously refrigerated. What is the oldest egg nog that anyone here has drank? Was it any better or worse than younger versions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mine is almost 3 years old. I haven't noticed it being different from when it was 1 year old.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I have to shake mine up every day or two (It's a week old I guess) how long will I have to do that? I notice that some nutmeg mostly sinks to the bottom.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dammit, now I want to make hard egg nog, and I don't even drink.

Has anyone here ever used Jack Daniel's in a nog recipe in any ratio, and what did you think of it?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Dammit, now I want to make hard egg nog, and I don't even drink.

Has anyone here ever used Jack Daniel's in a nog recipe in any ratio, and what did you think of it?

It's never too late to start!

I've used Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Evan Williams. Just follow the recipe in the op. Cut the liquor at serving, not the aging.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I just brewed up a double batch of the recipe in the OP, with some farm-fresh eggs. My unaged sample tasted awesome. I grated up the nutmeg in it when I mixed everything up, then noticed the recipe doesn't actually say to add the nutmeg at this time. Alton Brown's recipe does, so whatever, hopefully I did it right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I might take the plunge and try this. Alton Brown's recipe would be smoother and more approachable than the first one in the OP, right? I've got a bottle of Coruba I want to kill off, some Remy Martin VS, and then I could either do Evan Williams black, Eagle Rare, or finish off and get a new bottle of Rittenhouse rye.

Is the Alton Brown recipe overpoweringly sweet? A pound of sugar seems like a lot.

E: comedy option, do it dairy-free and with stevia.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Oh sup eggnog thread

I, too, make eggnog every year. I use the old Joy of Cooking "Eggnog in Quantity" recipe due to its utter disregard for the drinker's health

an ancient illuminated manuscript of the joy of cooking posted:

A rich and extravagant version that is correspondingly good. Some people like to ad a little more spirit to the following recipe remembering Mark Twain's observation that "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough."

Ingredients:

• 12 eggs -- separated
  • 1 pound confectioner's sugar
  • 6 cups brown liquor (dark/spiced rum, brandy, bourbon, soco will all work, some people like a mix like rum+bourbon though I think brandy is best)
  • 2 quarts heavy cream
  • 1 cup peach brandy -- optional (e: I've never actually tried this and will be doing so for the first time today this year!)
  • freshly ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Beat egg yolks separately until light in color.
  2. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar.
  3. Add the first 2 cups of the selected liquor.
  4. Let mixture stand covered for 1 hour to dispel the "eggy" taste.
  5. Add, beating constantly, (1/2 to all of) the remaining liquor. the whipping cream and the peach brandy.
  6. Refrigerate, covered for 3 hours.
  7. Beat 2/3 to all of the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
  8. Fold the egg whites lightly into the other ingredients.
  9. For best results age refrigerated for at least 2 weeks, up to a year, shaking daily for the first week and then whenever the mood strikes you after that.
  10. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg, or in your morning coffee :ssh:.
recipe makes a bit over a gallon. i dont use the egg whites at all. it's almost half booze by volume, and with aging you can even use stronger liquor. I've used 100 proof booze before and the first 2 weeks when you taste it you're thinking "drat i might have gone a little overboard" but then after that it mellows out and you start thinking you could have boozed it up a little more

I made a 6x batch this year, in October. I had to mix it in a turkey fryer pot because it's my largest kitchen container.

e: oh and if anyone's worried about salmonella use pasteurized eggs. one year i even made a batch with safe eggs and a batch with fresh eggs from chickens down the street and nobody could tell the difference

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 21, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The recipes seem to scale up, do they scale down as well?

I think I want to try a half batch for my first go, and I don't want to waste it if I don't like it.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

The recipes seem to scale up, do they scale down as well?

I think I want to try a half batch for my first go, and I don't want to waste it if I don't like it.

I halved the recipe last year, and it worked just fine. As long as you keep the same alcohol to other liquids ratio, it'll be good.

This year though is the full batch for me, with slightly different rum to bourbon proportions, and throwing in some vanilla bean paste to boot.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Is it kosher to talk about coquito in this thread? Because today is when I start my first batch for the holidays. I'll outline the process for you all.

While I'm not going completely nuts with the preparation (I will not be loving around with whole coconuts for example) I will try to make the process of bringing a latin kick to the holiday table as easy as possible.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Made a double batch of ab's nog and plan on giving away a few bottles this season.

My question is what the heck do I do with 24 egg whites? I've made a few meringues but I still have a ton left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Coconut macaroons and pavlovas are usually what I use them for.

• Locked thread