Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Moridin920 posted:

I dunno I am not from FYAD and I too think drinking aged milk and eggs could potentially be not good.

The booze quantity is important. It kills the bacteria.

There is a video of a food lab intentionally injecting salmonella into sample nog and testing it after. After 3 weeks, all traces were gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
If it wasn't the seed of some thread, invasion then I completely apologize.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nooner isn't really an invasion. More of an occupation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

More like a fifth column.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

On the real though I like Nooner he's got moxie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Been almost 2 weeks so I cracked open a jar to taste some egg nog today. Don't remember ever drinking it before but its pretty drat good. Like a thick milk, has alittle rum taste in it. So glad I remembered this thread this year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I took mine to a family Christmas party this weekend (after drinking some the night before to make sure I wouldn't turn it into an exorcist themed party) and it was a hit. And that was only after 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what it tastes like at the end of this week or NYE.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I made eggnog tonight and it was delicious. Thank you, thread, for introducing me to the wonder that is nog.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
What's the point of diminishing return on booze quality v final taste/smoothness? I used cheaper stuff on my first batch and even after two years it tastes like it could melt steel beams. Will smoother liquors affect the end product that noticeably?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
here are my 2 eggnog stories:

Monday night was my office's Christmas party and my boss made a huge thing of eggnog and not a single person drank any of it because whothe gently caress drinks eggnog.

Last night I wanted to pregame Star WAr movie so i poured a half pint of Capt Morgan (gross and lovely I know) butthere was no mixer in the house but then I saw my roommate had some eggnog in the fridge so i said gently caress it, but I didnt really look at the bottle until after i poured it and it turns out it was already alcoholic, like 15% alcohol so i got more drunker than I planned on but stll had fun at the movie! starwars spoiler :Luke isnt even in it until the very end

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

killa-pope posted:

What's the point of diminishing return on booze quality v final taste/smoothness? I used cheaper stuff on my first batch and even after two years it tastes like it could melt steel beams. Will smoother liquors affect the end product that noticeably?

I've experimented a lot with different booze in the joy of cooking recipe over the years. I've used dark rum, spiced rum, southern comfort, bourbon, brandy and blends of rum/bourbon. One year I made a full strength batch using 100 proof booze and it had me a little worried for the first 2 weeks of aging but after a month it mellowed out and was uncompromisingly tasty. Aging makes a big difference and those first 2-4 weeks are the difference between "maybe I shouldn't have used the max amount of liquor" and "I totally could have upped the booze"

I never spend more than ~$25 a handle and at that price I think the brandy works out best. I think it mostly comes down to domestic brandy being the best acceptable brown liquor at that price point that's actually aged in wood. spending a little more on barrel-aged rum or bourbon would probably pay similar dividends but i wouldn't recommend spending a ton on high end booze for this

e: also, the peach brandy twist turned out AWESOME. I'll do it again next year

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 1, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Poured myself a glass of eggnog I made last year. It smells and tastes heavily of rum, I take it's safe to consume?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Tenzarin posted:

Poured myself a glass of eggnog I made last year. It smells and tastes heavily of rum, I take it's safe to consume?

Yep.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Eggnog time is fast approaching! I just want to say that last year I used cheap brandy and cheap rum, otherwise following Alton's recipe, and it was loving delicious.

I have a question about adding cream. If I just want to add cream early and forget about it, do you think it makes any difference if you whip the cream before folding it into the hot eggnog? I figure any chemical transformation is undone as it combines in the hot liquid, but does anyone else have an opinion?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah youre right, the weird things that happen with fat dont matter when the entire structure melts from the heat.

Ive never made alcoholic eggnog before, whats the difference between adding the mix of different liquors and doing something like just rum or rum+bourbon or kings cup: the eggnog? Is there really that much difference? Im asking mostly because I never use cognac or brandy so it feels like a waste to buy for exactly one recipe.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I havent tried with upmarket booze, but i can certainly imagine you start to get some nice, complex flavours. Having said that, i've tried with just rum, just brandy, a combination of the two, and bourbon, and they all turned out deliciously. When what you want is an sweet, boozie, egg liqueur, i think it's hard to go far wrong.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've got a quart of Nesquik egg nog and a quart of regular flavor egg nog that's been in my fridge since last year. The anticipation is building...

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for bringing back this thread.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Yeah youre right, the weird things that happen with fat dont matter when the entire structure melts from the heat.

Ive never made alcoholic eggnog before, whats the difference between adding the mix of different liquors and doing something like just rum or rum+bourbon or kings cup: the eggnog? Is there really that much difference? Im asking mostly because I never use cognac or brandy so it feels like a waste to buy for exactly one recipe.

I have tried rum and bourbon and soco and some blends and ended up settling on brandy. Everyone likes it the best and no complaints from the people who ~don't like brandy~

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

extravadanza posted:

I've got a quart of Nesquik egg nog and a quart of regular flavor egg nog that's been in my fridge since last year. The anticipation is building...

Wtf is nesquick egg nog? like, chocolate egg nog? Is it amazing or?

Also, The mixing of the liquors just gives a different flavor. I like adding brandy to mine, adds a hint of vanilla. I go with 2:1:1 whiskey:rum:brandy when I make mine.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Esposito posted:

do you think it makes any difference if you whip the cream before folding it into the hot eggnog?

Control Volume posted:

I'm looking to nog for the first time this year and I'm a little confused. The recipes don't mention any form of heat. What am I missing?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Some eggnog recipes require a bit of boiling to thicken the yolks

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Control Volume posted:

Some eggnog recipes require a bit of boiling to thicken the yolks

you nog wrong.
I can't find it now, but there is a university study that they prove that egg nog will have salmonella for the first few weeks, but after (i think) 4 weeks of melding, all the boo juice is gone. You don't need to cook it, you need to booze it up. The video is in the thread but im yammered.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDhjN8dYYE

Here's a video of some scientists demonstrating how anti-bacterial the alcohol in aged eggnog is. They spike it with 12 contaminated eggs' worth of salmonella and when they tested it 3 weeks later, the salmonella was completely eradicated

Now consider this: since the 1990's one in 20,000 eggs has salmonella. If you ate one egg a day for 55 years, you'd get one egg with salmonella.

THIS IS IT!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

deong posted:

you nog wrong.
I can't find it now, but there is a university study that they prove that egg nog will have salmonella for the first few weeks, but after (i think) 4 weeks of melding, all the boo juice is gone. You don't need to cook it, you need to booze it up. The video is in the thread but im yammered.

or you can just use pasteurized eggs

http://www.safeeggs.com/ has a store locator

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Ranter posted:

I'm looking to nog for the first time this year and I'm a little confused. The recipes don't mention any form of heat. What am I missing?

Yeah, you can do it cold or hot, but heating (no more than 75C/167f according to Alton, because I think the egg cooks or something begins to burn beyond that) can help thicken it a bit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

deong posted:

you nog wrong.

The sentence you quoted clearly states its about thickening, not removing bad stuff?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just use 100% heavy cream and it'll be plenty thick. i mean this is eggnog we're talking about there's no place in this thread for sensible diet choices

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thickened egg and cream have different textures though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Someone tell me where I can buy some goddamn eggnog in the UK that isn't £10 for a carton on goddamn amazon

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Anybody ever make aged eggnog with scotch?

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I made eggnog for the first time with my boyfriend who has done it before. We adapted the Cooks Illustrated recipe, so it's just egg and sugar aging in alcohol - milk and cream to be added at time of serving. What's different with ours is that I dug up an old 19th century recipe for it done "Baltimore style". That is to say, 2:1:1 Madeira, rum, cognac. We used a 4 year Malmsey, an 8 year rum, and a XO cognac. It's now approximately aged 2 months, and it tastes like almond biscotti dipped in a caramel macchiato. So that turned out well.

Balqis fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 11, 2016

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Balqis posted:

I made eggnog for the first time with my boyfriend who has done it before. We adapted the Cooks Illustrated recipe, so it's just egg and sugar aging in alcohol - milk and cream to be added at time of serving. What's different with ours is that I dug up an old 19th century recipe for it done "Baltimore style". That is to say, 2:1:1 Madeira, rum, cognac. We used a 4 year Malmsey, an 8 year rum, and a XO cognac. It's now approximately aged 2 months, and it tastes like almond biscotti dipped in a caramel macchiato. So that turned out well.

Goddamn that sounds incredible! Gonna have to try this.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

deong posted:

Wtf is nesquick egg nog? like, chocolate egg nog? Is it amazing or?

Also, The mixing of the liquors just gives a different flavor. I like adding brandy to mine, adds a hint of vanilla. I go with 2:1:1 whiskey:rum:brandy when I make mine.

I don't know how it will be... I just decided to sweeten with Nesquick instead of sugar for one of my batches. I'm thinking it's hard to go wrong with delicious aged egg nog.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Balqis posted:

Doing this, sounds amazing.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Frankston posted:

Someone tell me where I can buy some goddamn eggnog in the UK that isn't £10 for a carton on goddamn amazon

I believe Advocat is the same thing and it's sold in most supermarkets in the booze aisle.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have never made egg nog myself but I had Thomas Keller's eggnog once and man was it good.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
What's the longest that someone has aged their nog? Last year I served some at a party I had made the year before and it was pretty loving good.

Balqis posted:

I was considering doing Rum/Cognac with a little bit of Amaretto this year, but I may have to go with this.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What's the longest that someone has aged their nog? Last year I served some at a party I had made the year before and it was pretty loving good.

I was considering doing Rum/Cognac with a little bit of Amaretto this year, but I may have to go with this.

Literally drinking a glass I made in October 2014. Smooooooooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah, keep in mind if you do it to adjust how much sugar you add. Malmsey is SWEET.

I would love to see how the Baltimore nog ages but I have a feeling it won't last the winter. If I feel like drinking more cognac (always), maybe I'll make an extra batch for next Christmas.

For reference, for 12 eggs I used a bottle of Madeira, and half of the cognac and rum. Adjusting for sugar, I only added a third cup. Could do with a pinch more if you like it sweet, but there's something refined about it as is.

• Locked thread