Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I might take the plunge and try this. Alton Brown's recipe would be smoother and more approachable than the first one in the OP, right? I've got a bottle of Coruba I want to kill off, some Remy Martin VS, and then I could either do Evan Williams black, Eagle Rare, or finish off and get a new bottle of Rittenhouse rye.

Is the Alton Brown recipe overpoweringly sweet? A pound of sugar seems like a lot.

E: comedy option, do it dairy-free and with stevia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Make dozens of Ramos fizzes. That's what I am planning to do. Well, one dozen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone done rye for the whiskey rather than bourbon? I'm thinking I probably don't want to use Evan Williams when also using Coruba and Remy Martin, which leaves me with Rittenhouse or Eagle Rare, unless I buy a new bottle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone aged Alton Brown's recipe? Doing the math, it seems like it comes out to roughly 9% ABV (~102 ounces, 24 of them booze at 40%). I'm worried that won't be enough to prevent it from spoiling. I know people have done the one in the OP, but that's got significantly more alcohol in it.

Trip report: I nogged, and I will nog again. I managed to spill a bunch of it transferring it from the bowl into a jug, but I now have 2250 ml of nog in the fridge. The little bit I tasted was delicious. Coruba, Eagle Rare, Rittenhouse, and Remy Martin VS. Only had a half cup of rum so I filled it in with rye. Next time I will probably knock it down to Buffalo Trace and maybe some Raynal or something. It is already really smooth, even with the 90 and 100 proof liquor.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 2, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You can drink any in the OP without aging them. I drank the Alton Brown recipe one without aging and it was fine. Boozier than it probably will be a month down the line, but fine. Maybe used pasteurized egg yolks for that, though. Not sure how long it takes soaking in booze to remove the tiny risk of salmonella.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I dunno I am not from FYAD and I too think drinking aged milk and eggs could potentially be not good.

What do you think Irish Cream is?

E not eggs, obviously, but milk. And odds are that pre-packaged alcoholic nog sitting out of refrigeration at the liquor store is several weeks old.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nooner isn't really an invasion. More of an occupation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I took mine to a family Christmas party this weekend (after drinking some the night before to make sure I wouldn't turn it into an exorcist themed party) and it was a hit. And that was only after 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what it tastes like at the end of this week or NYE.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is the cheapest brandy you would go with? I'm going to do Alton Brown's again, but like last time I'll halve the rum and replace it with rye. Last time I was almost out of Coruba but I had Rittenhouse lying around.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool, I'll use that. I think it will be 1 cup Benchmark, 1 cup E&J, 1/2 cup Rittenhouse, 1/2 cup dark rum.

What volume does Alton Brown's recipe make? Last time I made it I spilled some on the floor, but I don't know how much.

I think I'll make one batch for this Christmas and then make another for next Christmas once there's room in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, not making it this year. I got a request for it sprung on me on short notice, but none of the grocery stores around here have pasteurized eggs. I know the odds are low of any egg having salmonella, but I don't want to risk it and 1 week isn't enough time to be sure of alcohol killing it.

At least I've got enough booze to make a double batch when I get around to it for next year. Let it smooth out nice over 10-12 months. Have enough to give pints as a gift to a few people who I know particularly like it.

• Locked thread