Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Eggnog time is fast approaching! I just want to say that last year I used cheap brandy and cheap rum, otherwise following Alton's recipe, and it was loving delicious.

I have a question about adding cream. If I just want to add cream early and forget about it, do you think it makes any difference if you whip the cream before folding it into the hot eggnog? I figure any chemical transformation is undone as it combines in the hot liquid, but does anyone else have an opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I havent tried with upmarket booze, but i can certainly imagine you start to get some nice, complex flavours. Having said that, i've tried with just rum, just brandy, a combination of the two, and bourbon, and they all turned out deliciously. When what you want is an sweet, boozie, egg liqueur, i think it's hard to go far wrong.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Ranter posted:

I'm looking to nog for the first time this year and I'm a little confused. The recipes don't mention any form of heat. What am I missing?

Yeah, you can do it cold or hot, but heating (no more than 75C/167f according to Alton, because I think the egg cooks or something begins to burn beyond that) can help thicken it a bit.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I nogged today, too, but with some cheaper poo poo than you. Only made 1.5 litres because I've got a tiny refrigerator. Will just need to haul some off to work to store in their fridge.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I have a feeling I also whipped up the egg whites the first time I made it, thinking I would serve it straight away, but then folded them in and refrigerated it. It wasn't aged for longer than three weeks, but I think it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

There's no shame in addiction.

• Locked thread