Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Magomedovs patient striking reminds me a lot of Joanna Champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

Just got home, any fights I should catch up on?

Guida got owned. Don't watch the Maldonado fight.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

There's something to be said for all four FS1 prelims

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
There is a line between "cautious" and "idiotically timid". Magomedov should have known the easy finish was there.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

1st AD posted:

Jimmy Rivera fight on the early prelims is killer and will probably be FOTN.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Northjayhawk posted:

There is a line between "cautious" and "idiotically timid". Magomedov should have known the easy finish was there.

A guy is at his most dangerous when he is being bounced off the cage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Northjayhawk posted:

there is nothing idiotic about what you're watching. watch corey anderson and gian villante or abel trujillo vs. jamie varner

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

MassRafTer posted:

A guy is at his most dangerous when he is being bounced off the cage.

He wasn't just slightly touched or kinda rocked, Burns was a 2-limbed extra from the Walking Dead. Magomedov had an almost guaranteed exciting finish right there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lmao Abel Trujillo lost. Clay Guida lost. This is a great card already.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Magomedov is very good but his lack of killer instinct in this final round is probably going to hurt his cache in the UFC.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

1st AD posted:

Lmao Abel Trujillo lost. Clay Guida lost. This is a great card already.

Welcome aboard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
No 10-8 second?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Northjayhawk posted:

He wasn't just slightly touched or kinda rocked, Burns was a 2-limbed extra from the Walking Dead. Magomedov had an almost guaranteed exciting finish right there.

jumping into his guard his loving retarded. rushing a guy shelling on the fence is a bad idea

Le Saboteur posted:

Magomedov is very good but his lack of killer instinct in this final round is probably going to hurt his cache in the UFC.

the commentators were saying this during his last fight too: 'why isn't this guy just mudering guys who could legit be top 15?' because they're really loving good man drat

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i am a huge loving stan for magomedov.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gadelha is looking kind of cute these days.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also lol at Cormier struggling to get through this promo for ARE TROOPS

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Magomedov had an almost guaranteed exciting finish right there.

he also had a guaranteed 30-27 decision win if he played it safe, and that's the door he chose to go through

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

everyone keep an eye on alex oliveira. he fought gilbert burns in his last fight on short notice coming up from the z leagues and loving put it on him in the first 2 rounds. he's good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

he also had a guaranteed 30-27 decision win if he played it safe, and that's the door he chose to go through

everything about what he did was absolutely guaranteeing him victory it's some cold blooded poo poo and i love it. magomedov vs. joe duffy please.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

So many people on Twitter right now congratulating Ruslan Magomedov on the win.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I hate when Joe shills for hapless title challengers.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Jessica Penne's face after that fight haunts me to this day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hang on, who the gently caress is valorie? where's the other one?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think Gadelha wasn't ready by November and the UFC had to move the Rousey/Joanna double headliner to November after Robbie got hurt.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

outstanding walkout music

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

EvanSchenck posted:

Fine, he had better win 90% of his matches then, because if he's going to turn his nose up at an almost-certain knockout, then gently caress him unless he can patiently grind every match into a win.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I love that Brazilian Cowboy is now in lightweight so there can one day be a battle for the title of true Cowboy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

Fine, he had better win 90% of his matches then, because if he's going to turn his nose up at an almost-certain knockout, then gently caress him unless he can patiently grind every match into a win.

did you not watch that motherfucker just dismantle a guy? did you also see him not jump into the guard of a 2 time world jiu jitsu champion?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Brazil: birthplace of the impressionist tattoo movement.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Marching Powder posted:

jumping into his guard his loving retarded. rushing a guy shelling on the fence is a bad idea

What are you talking about? The man was almost dead on his feet, and even the few tentative attacks Magomedov was reluctantly willing to throw out there was still enough to topple Burns over. He did not need to take any stupid risks, an easy finish was obviously available.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Northjayhawk posted:

What are you talking about? The man was almost dead on his feet, and even the few tentative attacks Magomedov was reluctantly willing to throw out there was still enough to topple Burns over. He did not need to take any stupid risks, an easy finish was obviously available.

I agree.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

ok, guy on the internet. i think i'll side with the cold-blooded killer that absolutely dismantled a world class fighter in the cage less than 10 minutes ago.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i am also a guy on the internet

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Northjayhawk posted:

You keep saying it was an easy finish but following Burns to the ground is dangerous as gently caress. Burns stopped coming forward after getting hurt and so wasn't as open to the counters anymore. Then he was basically backpedalling the entire third round. I dont think Burns looked as hurt as you seem to think he was.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cowboy owns

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gently caress yes. magomedov vs. duffy and oliveira vs. nate diaz please

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like other Cowboy but he's real hittable

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

I sympathize with what you're saying, because we could definitely see Burns fully locking the knee on his lead leg every time he took a step. Burns was barely conscious and Magomedov definitely gave him the time he needed to recover. He could very well have finished by being more aggressive. But at the same time I see Magomedov's strategy. He knew that the only possible way he could lose that fight was if he got careless, and gave up a takedown or allowed Burns to catch him with a punch. I'm certain his camp emphasized the importance of staying safe and striking conservatively, because Burns has a really dangerous ability to turn a momentary error into a takedown and a submission loss. There's also the fact that, even if Magomedov had chased the finish, Burns still could have done the Werdum flop and bought all the time he needed to recover, because there was no way Magomedov was going to dive into his guard.

e: this is in the 2nd round, specifically

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Oliveira looks like a welterweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You keep saying it was an easy finish but following Burns to the ground is dangerous as gently caress. Burns stopped coming forward after getting hurt and so wasn't as open to the counters anymore. Then he was basically backpedalling the entire third round. I dont think Burns looked as hurt as you seem to think he was.

I still firmly disagree, but I just realized that I strongly disagree with 2 posters (including Marching Powder) whose opinion I usually have a lot of respect for. So, I'll just accept that I may or may not be wrong on this one and enjoy this current fight.

• Locked thread