Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Thank you. Also, I'm horrified for being on the same side of the fence as Palin.

Oh, no, I just brought that up because she literally said that. Oh, and Bachmann did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Arkane posted:

Bzzt. Food production is growing faster than population, and has been for a very long time.

edit: India produces around 3000 kilograms of cereal yield per hectare, roughly half of what is produced in the United States, so the potential is there for India to increase its food output by a very large amount.

Here is the World Bank showing worldwide food production of cereals (wheat, rice, etc.) per hectare:

As you can see, it is increasing rapidly...

...and will continue to do so:

Food scarcity is a completely idiotic bogeyman.

I'm sure that food gets is evenly distributed to all geographic regions according to human population and need as well!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Here's a thought for car pollution: when you get your vehicle inspected, approximate efficiency is tested. You pay more the less MPG you have and the older car you have. Without discussing age, I feel like 60MPG should get $25 (because tags cost money, yo, as they always do) 40 should get...$80 (depending on how people feel about that), 20 should get $300 and after 20 it gets prohibitively expensive. You'd probably want to make a logarithmic function. Remember that this would be a bi-annual thing so it's not a common cost, though I kind of like the fact that it will land on many dumb people 'unexpectedly' and in that is sort of their 'punishment.'

I know that with catalytic converters and modern exhaust systems that cars don't pollute very much but getting and refining the oil DOES pollute the poo poo of the Earth.

I also know that electric vehicles are enigmatic and different people feel differently about them. They'd have to be accounted for in one way or another but tags probably isn't it - give them the 60MPG pricetag.

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm sure that food gets is evenly distributed to all geographic regions according to human population and need as well!

He's actually got a point. We have -enough- food, if I'm reading those charts right, we're just lovely at distributing it fairly. Now if people would just go on a loving diet and quit wasting food...

Verge fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 1, 2015

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Verge posted:

Here's a thought for car pollution: when you get your vehicle inspected, approximate efficiency is tested. You pay more the less MPG you have and the older car you have. Without discussing age, I feel like 60MPG should get $25 (because tags cost money, yo, as they always do) 40 should get...$80 (depending on how people feel about that), 20 should get $300 and after 20 it gets prohibitively expensive. You'd probably want to make a logarithmic function. Remember that this would be a bi-annual thing so it's not a common cost, though I kind of like the fact that it will land on many dumb people 'unexpectedly' and in that is sort of their 'punishment.'

I know that with catalytic converters and modern exhaust systems that cars don't pollute very much but getting and refining the oil DOES pollute the poo poo of the Earth.

I also know that electric vehicles are enigmatic and different people feel differently about them. They'd have to be accounted for in one way or another but tags probably isn't it - give them the 60MPG pricetag.

He's actually got a point. We have -enough- food, if I'm reading those charts right, we're just lovely at distributing it fairly. Now if people would just go on a loving diet and quit wasting food...

you can pry my 92' geo metro from my cold dead hands you statist pig

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sinding Johansson posted:

you can pry my 92' geo metro from my cold dead hands you statist pig

What if I add a qualifier that you get taxed by the mile instead of straight up?

Also dude wtf cash for clunkers the gently caress is wrong w/ you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Also dude wtf cash for clunkers the gently caress is wrong w/ you?

....are you saying you LIKED Cash for Clunkers? And would you like to know how wrong you are?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

....are you saying you LIKED Cash for Clunkers? And would you like to know how wrong you are?

It got a lot of poo poo cars off the streets. What didn't you like?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Verge posted:

It also drove up used car prices, putting the remaining clunkers out of reach of the working poor. It's really a lose-lose trade-off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

It took good, working cars off the streets, put those cars owners in debt to keep the American Automotive Industry floating, and actually was incredibly environmentally detrimental. It damaged the used car scene for at least a decade or more.

For instance: You just chastised someone for keeping an 92 Geo Metro (likely a joke, I know) but do you know what sort of fuel milage the 1992 Geo Metro got?

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Cash for Clunkers was an abject failure and an incredible environmental tragedy.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It took good, working cars off the streets, put those cars owners in debt to keep the American Automotive Industry floating, and actually was incredibly environmentally detrimental. It damaged the used car scene for at least a decade or more.

For instance: You just chastised someone for keeping an 92 Geo Metro (likely a joke, I know) but do you know what sort of fuel milage the 1992 Geo Metro got?

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Cash for Clunkers was an abject failure and an incredible environmental tragedy.

46 MPG in its current state? Holy poo poo. Ok, yeah, obv. gently caress off w/ that thing but yeah, he and I were fuckin' around back & forth. But cars don't just get their minerals put back in the ground. We don't bury the fuckers. We recycle...I think. Aw gently caress it who am I kiddin' - ok fine yeah no one shoulda been dumping cars by year it shoulda been done by MPG, you're right, I concede.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It also drove up used car prices, putting the remaining clunkers out of reach of the working poor. It's really a lose-lose trade-off.

Bicycles get like a million MPG and if not that, moped, man. Moped. I got into motorcycling for this reason.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
That depends on a few things, too. Honda calculated that the non-driving cost of a vehicle in CO2 was 22% of what it emitted over a lifetime of 100,000 miles.

That would be a combined production, disposal, transportation, resource extraction, etc. That came out to roughly 2.22 tons of CO2. Suppose someone only drives a lovely MPG car about 5000mi/yr and suddenly upgrading to a great MPG car doesn't seem like a great option from a 'green' standpoint.

However, it might be far more. There's a (perhaps high-end) estimate of 35 CO2-equivalent tons for a new Land Rover.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Aren't you like guaranteed to die if you get in a crash in one of those things?

I mean yeah that would be good for the environment but I don't think Full On Murder Everyone is a politically viable solution.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Is there a timeline of expected events if we continue to half rear end any solution?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lemming posted:

I mean yeah that would be good for the environment but I don't think Full On Murder Everyone is a politically viable solution.

Yes an early 90's car is very unsafe by modern standards, and the Geo Metro was significantly less safe than its contemporaries based on injury rates. And this isn't just about its ability to absorb collisions, it's also about the ability to avoid them- a stock 92 Geo Metro had laughably terrible braking and acceleration capabilities (220 feet to stop from 70mph, no ABS, and 13.1 seconds to reach 60mph).

Cash for clunkers was still a really bad program. :ssh:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

That depends on a few things, too. Honda calculated that the non-driving cost of a vehicle in CO2 was 22% of what it emitted over a lifetime of 100,000 miles.

That would be a combined production, disposal, transportation, resource extraction, etc. That came out to roughly 2.22 tons of CO2. Suppose someone only drives a lovely MPG car about 5000mi/yr and suddenly upgrading to a great MPG car doesn't seem like a great option from a 'green' standpoint.

However, it might be far more. There's a (perhaps high-end) estimate of 35 CO2-equivalent tons for a new Land Rover.

Absolutely but if you're destroying a car at 5k miles, you're a fuckwit. A car is barely broken in at your example of 100k. Be real with me, man, who would do that?

Lemming posted:

I just advised people to get mopeds. Just wear a helmet in the geo. Yes, they have driving helmets. Yes, they will protect you.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Verge posted:

Absolutely but if you're destroying a car at 5k miles, you're a fuckwit. A car is barely broken in at your example of 100k. Be real with me, man, who would do that?

I just advised people to get mopeds. Just wear a helmet in the geo. Yes, they have driving helmets. Yes, they will protect you.

You can't wear helmets in cars at least where I live.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The nuclear powerplants in Belgium had their lifespans extended by at least 10 years.

The green party in Belgium called it one of the darkest days for the environment because of it.

:negative:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Batham posted:

The nuclear powerplants in Belgium had their lifespans extended by at least 10 years.

The green party in Belgium called it one of the darkest days for the environment because of it.

Green parties and many green NGOs appear to be stuck in the 1960s when any environmentalism was good environmentalism. They're still ok at saving individual species or habitats, but have wasted much of their potential to make society more generally sustainable once environmentalism became accepted by people other than hippies.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Batham posted:

What would you prefer they replace it with? Nuclear power plants, watt-hour for watt-hour pollute very, very little. Do you know what size of solar farm you need to replace a nuclear power plant?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Verge posted:

What would you prefer they replace it with? Nuclear power plants, watt-hour for watt-hour pollute very, very little. Do you know what size of solar farm you need to replace a nuclear power plant?

Pretty sure you're both on the same side of this.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Radbot posted:

Pretty sure you're both on the same side of this.

I don't understand. It sounds like he's anti-nuclear and I'm pro-nuclear.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Verge posted:

I've heard if you put solar panels in the clear out area for a nuclear power plant (you can't build anything commercial/residential within X miles of a nuclear station, I forget the number), it would produce more energy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

I don't understand. It sounds like he's anti-nuclear and I'm pro-nuclear.

Read carefully. He is bemoaning the Green Party's response to the extension of the reactor licenses.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Arkane posted:

I've heard if you put solar panels in the clear out area for a nuclear power plant (you can't build anything commercial/residential within X miles of a nuclear station, I forget the number), it would produce more energy.

Never heard of that. Maybe in some regions but it doesn't look that holds true for this guy

Edit: that's not a nuclear power plant at all! I'm an idiot.

CommieGIR posted:

Read carefully. He is bemoaning the Green Party's response to the extension of the reactor licenses.

Oooohhh. I thought he was agreeing w/ them. Ok, then. Thanks, guy.

Verge fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 2, 2015

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Arkane posted:

The number is an exclusion zone radius of 0.65 km according to this report. Even if you take the high end estimate (1.6 km exclusion zone radius -> 8 sq km) for a typical 2 GW site (0.25 GW/sq km) and take the low end estimate for solar from this NEI report of 1 GW / 116 sq km (0.009 GW/sq km), you're off by about a factor of 30.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Phayray posted:

The number is an exclusion zone radius of 0.65 km according to this report. Even if you take the high end estimate (1.6 km exclusion zone radius -> 8 sq km) for a typical 2 GW site (0.25 GW/sq km) and take the low end estimate for solar from this NEI report of 1 GW / 116 sq km (0.009 GW/sq km), you're off by about a factor of 30.

Also we can probably use that land for something. Moar trees (for CO2). I think people tend to underestimate the stupid amount of energy nuclear plants generate.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phayray posted:

I believe the radius can be much higher in the US, although I don't know for certain.

Also, solar can be much more efficient than that. The Solar Star project that was completed this year has a 580 MW capacity on 13 sq km (which would be .044 GW/sq km).

Either way, it is just something I heard. Elon Musk made it as an offhand remark in a talk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

I believe the radius can be much higher in the US, although I don't know for certain.

Also, solar can be much more efficient than that. The Solar Star project that was completed this year has a 580 MW capacity on 13 sq km (which would be .044 GW/sq km).

It took 1.7 Million panels to do that AND 13 sq KM.

Or, I could do 2,333 MW in 2 sq KM with nuclear.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It took 1.7 Million panels to do that AND 13 sq KM.

Or, I could do 2,333 MW in 2 sq KM with nuclear.

How do you have 2 avatars?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Welcome young one. They're called gang tags. We're not cool enough for them. :smith:

I've been thinking about a system like this for years, wondering where I was wrong in my science to think this was somehow a good idea. Except it was. And Bill Gates is pouring money into it. :psyduck: Moar trees - trees

quote:

Carbon Capture Plant in Squamish, BC

The mountain air in Squamish, B.C., could soon be even fresher with the launch of a groundbreaking carbon capture operation.

The pilot project will suck carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, not from an industrial plant like other such operations, with the goal of turning the gas into fuel.

Built and operated by Calgary-based Carbon Engineering, the $9-million plant will capture about one tonne of CO2 per day, which is the equivalent of taking about 100 cars off the road annually.

Founded by Harvard climate scientist David Keith and backed by big-name investors including Bill Gates, Carbon Engineering has spent several years turning academic research into technology that could be commercialized.

The company will unveil its pilot plant in Squamish on Friday.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Caedus posted:

Welcome young one. They're called gang tags. We're not cool enough for them. :smith:

quote:

Carbon Capture Plant in Squamish, BC

The mountain air in Squamish, B.C., could soon be even fresher with the launch of a groundbreaking carbon capture operation.

The pilot project will suck carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, not from an industrial plant like other such operations, with the goal of turning the gas into fuel.

Built and operated by Calgary-based Carbon Engineering, the $9-million plant will capture about one tonne of CO2 per day, which is the equivalent of taking about 100 cars off the road annually.

Founded by Harvard climate scientist David Keith and backed by big-name investors including Bill Gates, Carbon Engineering has spent several years turning academic research into technology that could be commercialized.

The company will unveil its pilot plant in Squamish on Friday.

I've been thinking about a system like this for years, wondering where I was wrong in my science to think this was somehow a good idea. Except it was. And Bill Gates is pouring money into it. :psyduck: Moar trees - trees

Bill Gates loves climate change. I remember he wanted to saturate the atmo (or was funding a project or something related I dunno) with silicates or something...can't find it. Was pretty cool. If anyone can find it please link. It was a while ago, I think after he put a bounty on reinventing the condom and before the carbon capture plant.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Verge posted:

Bill Gates loves climate change. I remember he wanted to saturate the atmo (or was funding a project or something related I dunno) with silicates or something...can't find it. Was pretty cool. If anyone can find it please link. It was a while ago, I think after he put a bounty on reinventing the condom and before the carbon capture plant.

Gates funds everything from Mosquito lasers to wind power balloons. His MO is basically to throw money at a lot of stuff that might have a chance of somehow working, even if it seems improbable. It makes sense in that nobody can reliably predict what technologies will make it to market - but it also means that a lot of the stuff he funds will inevitably fail. It's Silicon Valleys approach to startups applied to engineering problems which may or may not work out in practice.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
nothing will be done, the earth will heat up and co2 levels will rise until it is unfit for human habitation

also http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/manslaughter-charges-dropped-in-bp-spill-case-nobody-from-bp-will-go-to-prison/

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Relin posted:

nothing will be done, the earth will heat up and co2 levels will rise until it is unfit for human habitation

also http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/manslaughter-charges-dropped-in-bp-spill-case-nobody-from-bp-will-go-to-prison/

Don't be so mopey! All-electric vehicles are being taken seriously whereas 10 years ago they weren't even seen as a realistic idea for anyone but a child. Provided the tech works with single passenger vehicles, I'll be getting one as my next vehicle! Harley loving Davidson is working on an electric motorcycle!

-hugs-

Buddy, the green movement is winning. We've always been winning. The only issue is that it's a race against the clock. Whether we win before time runs out is indeed a question but it's no absolute at this time.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Verge posted:

Don't be so mopey! All-electric vehicles are being taken seriously whereas 10 years ago they weren't even seen as a realistic idea for anyone but a child. Provided the tech works with single passenger vehicles, I'll be getting one as my next vehicle! Harley loving Davidson is working on an electric motorcycle!

-hugs-

Buddy, the green movement is winning. We've always been winning. The only issue is that it's a race against the clock. Whether we win before time runs out is indeed a question but it's no absolute at this time.

You are very clearly not a member of the green movement and, given your posts in this thread, you clearly know next to nothing about climate change. I have nothing more to add; your posts just annoy me greatly.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Placid Marmot posted:

You are very clearly not a member of the green movement and, given your posts in this thread, you clearly know next to nothing about climate change. I have nothing more to add; your posts just annoy me greatly.

Behold the chiliagon of fatalism.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Placid Marmot posted:

Moar trees! Moar!!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Verge posted:

-hugs-

finally, a motorcycle that runs on coal.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, a carbon sequestration plant that mitigates the carbon of 60 households' worth of transportation (not their heating, cooling, etc.). Truly, technology will be our savior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Wow, a carbon sequestration plant that mitigates the carbon of 60 households' worth of transportation (not their heating, cooling, etc.). Truly, technology will be our savior.

Well, you see, if we collect the carbon, we can burn it again! Progress!