Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

This game is Very Good but I don't know how I feel about the semi-open hub areas that appear at some points in the game. The sidequests make them fun to run around in, but rather than having fifty million collectibles (those coin caches, christ) I would've preferred if they had cut them down in size and added more Challenge Tombs (aka puzzles) instead since there's only 9 in the entire game.
Even then, the Challenge Tombs themselves and the puzzles (if they can even be called that) during the storyline are extremely easy and full of hand holding. Lara won't shut up during them and sometimes will keep repeating hints until you figure it out.

The storyline is interesting so far, the side characters and antagonists are fine but Lara herself is dull as gently caress. I don't know if it's the character itself or her VA sounding bored all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

sellouts posted:

Ok yeah, me as well. If you're not stealth headshot-ing everything that isn't a pack of wolves running at you, you're doing it wrong.

Eventually you can sabotage bodies with a trap, that's pretty fun to do as well.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is the voice acting still as blocky and awful as the first one? I felt like the voice actors were intentionally channeling the PSX era with their deliveries.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

GUI posted:

This game is Very Good but I don't know how I feel about the semi-open hub areas that appear at some points in the game. The sidequests make them fun to run around in, but rather than having fifty million collectibles (those coin caches, christ) I would've preferred if they had cut them down in size and added more Challenge Tombs (aka puzzles) instead since there's only 9 in the entire game.
Even then, the Challenge Tombs themselves and the puzzles (if they can even be called that) during the storyline are extremely easy and full of hand holding. Lara won't shut up during them and sometimes will keep repeating hints until you figure it out.

The storyline is interesting so far, the side characters and antagonists are fine but Lara herself is dull as gently caress. I don't know if it's the character itself or her VA sounding bored all the time.

There are 2 or 3 story tombs, 9 challenge tombs and 5 or 6 crypts. It's a decent number for the length the game is.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is the voice acting still as blocky and awful as the first one? I felt like the voice actors were intentionally channeling the PSX era with their deliveries.

The voice recordings she finds along the way are really stale and uninspired, like they just found some guy on the street to read them out loud. And everyone in this ancient Siberian village has an American accent, as do the ancient Byzantine Knights, go figure.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Having finished the game with 100% in all areas I'm at 99% completion. Apparently I need to wrap up the last three skills but at this point experience grinding is a hell I'm not going to put up with. Good game in general, but don't bother grinding for 100%.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Mailer posted:

don't bother grinding for 100%.

This is true for all games.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Man, this thread is somewhat moribund :stare: Which is a shame, because this game is loving rad. Decided I couldn't wait until Q4 2016, and picked up a Bone to play this. Just shy of 25 hours for an initial run through on normal, and it didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome.

Of course, the game's structure helps there, in terms of having getting some say in how much you engage with stuff (grinding for 100% notwithstanding, since it is unlikely to be something I do). I really enjoyed the 2013 Tomb Raider, and Rise takes most of what I liked and leans into it even moreso.

Seeing as I haven't burned out on the game yet, thought I'd try a run through on Survivor. I'm only early on, but already the changes for that mode have impacted the game in interesting ways. Do natural resources (wood, berries for salve, mushrooms, etc) ever respawn in Survivor? So far zones have stayed cleared-out, so I'm being *very* conservative with my use of resources. Picking my fights way more carefully. Much more emphasis on stealth takedowns. Limiting myself to one camp per area.

I don't rule out the possibility that this run will turn into a frustrating mess at some point, but right now it is awesome. Helped to some degree, I must admit, by the bad-rear end "Apex Predator" costume lara has :black101:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
i'm looking forward to playing this game, sometime in 2017

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
I had no idea this game had a Demon Souls-esque multiplayer component of sorts (though I guess it is technically more like Temple of Osiris but I haven't played that). Just came across some goon's backpack in the wildnerness, came with some good coins assuming I move on to the gameplay modes where that matters.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

FAILURE posted:

I had no idea this game had a Demon Souls-esque multiplayer component of sorts (though I guess it is technically more like Temple of Osiris but I haven't played that). Just came across some goon's backpack in the wildnerness, came with some good coins assuming I move on to the gameplay modes where that matters.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing either, then again none of my Xbox live friends bought it so.....

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Huntsekker posted:

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing either, then again none of my Xbox live friends bought it so.....

That is a drat good question.

FAILURE posted:

...what are you referring to? Something to do with Expedition mode?

For my part I'm still chipping away in Survivor, and *MAN* it has been super-awesome so far.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

magimix posted:

That is a drat good question.

...what are you referring to? Something to do with Expedition mode?

For my part I'm still chipping away in Survivor, and *MAN* it has been super-awesome so far.

"Backpacks – Similar to Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris’ canopic jars, when people on your friends list die they will occasionally leave a backpack where they fell. Finding one of these backpacks while playing campaign will net you some credits."

http://archaeologyoftombraider.com/2015/10/20/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-expeditions-and-season-pass-faq/

Just finished the campaign with 66% completion and that was with what I'd consider to be taking my time. I'll probably go back and do some of the challenges just because I'm not quite ready for this game to be over. Shame that it got completely drowned out with the fervor of Fallout 4 and being an Xbox exclusive.

FAILURE fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 25, 2015

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

FAILURE posted:

"Backpacks – Similar to Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris’ canopic jars, when people on your friends list die they will occasionally leave a backpack where they fell. Finding one of these backpacks while playing campaign will net you some credits."

http://archaeologyoftombraider.com/2015/10/20/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-expeditions-and-season-pass-faq/

Just finished the campaign with 66% completion and that was with what I'd consider to be taking my time. I'll probably go back and do some of the challenges just because I'm not quite ready for this game to be over. Shame that it got completely drowned out with the fervor of Fallout 4 and being an Xbox exclusive.

Interesting! Some people on my friends list have died in some weird-rear end places then, but hey, loot is loot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This game is surprisingly addicting. I loving love jacking up mother nature with my bow. I feel like the combat suffers from the same thing the original Last of Us did, which is a frame rate that gets in the way of the heavy forced action ' sequences. Zipping up ropes makes up for it, though.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm most of the way through a second run (back in the Geothermal Valley after having picked up ... the Atlus ...). "Survivor" hasn't yet stopped being all kinds of awesome fun. The arrival of the first DLC costume was well timed, as beyond looking cool as hell, it also lets you carry more special ammo, which is nice.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Is there another exploration area after getting the atlas? I have a quest to explore 9 tombs that I'm at 7/9 on but there's only 1 tomb showing on any of the current areas. Does this quest include crypts too?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Is there another exploration area after getting the atlas? I have a quest to explore 9 tombs that I'm at 7/9 on but there's only 1 tomb showing on any of the current areas. Does this quest include crypts too?

Yes, one of the last larger areas has a tomb. And what you get for *doing* all the tombs is loving cool as hell also.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

magimix posted:

Yes, one of the last larger areas has a tomb. And what you get for *doing* all the tombs is loving cool as hell also.

is it the ancient bow with leopard print? I think I'm at 3/4 pieces on that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
actually i want the grim whisper.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

is it the ancient bow with leopard print? I think I'm at 3/4 pieces on that.

Nope, it is a suit of armour that you can wear:black101:

Edit: Can't seem to spoiler this image, but whatever, it's just a costume.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 30, 2015

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Trailer for the first big bit of DLC for the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3npvOj8eKp4

I'm certainly stoked, though I'm hardly a neutral observer in all this. Not out until "early 2016", so I guess maybe I'll check out expedition mode after all.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
The main menu says I'm up to 30% completion. I still don't know what this game is about.

Hopkins FBI fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 4, 2015

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just finished the campaign at 36 hours in. I did a lot of exploring but I think I missed at least one challenge tomb. Near the end I wished there was a lock on mechanic since I preferred dodge killing everyone, but it doesn't work if you aren't facing the enemy, which can be frustrating in large groups of enemies. All in all I had way more fun with this than Arkham Knight, looking forward to the DLC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll come back once this gets launched on PC and there is something to talk about.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Just finished the campaign at 36 hours in. I did a lot of exploring but I think I missed at least one challenge tomb. Near the end I wished there was a lock on mechanic since I preferred dodge killing everyone, but it doesn't work if you aren't facing the enemy, which can be frustrating in large groups of enemies. All in all I had way more fun with this than Arkham Knight, looking forward to the DLC.

I wish the lock on with the bow locked on to headshots, not that the game isn't enough but I would really like to ramp up that multiplier quickly.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

sellouts posted:

I wish the lock on with the bow locked on to headshots, not that the game isn't enough but I would really like to ramp up that multiplier quickly.

I'm pretty sure the red-diamond lock thing locks head shots. Seems to behave that way for me, at any rate.

It'll be interesting to check out the "Endurance mode" what it lands. I generally don't go in for that kind of 'survive as long as you can' thing, but it could be a good fit for this game, as a nice extra.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

There is a skill upgrade that does exactly this, letting you basically lazily infinite-chain headshots in batches of 1-3. Enemies at the end of the game all have helmets/tons of health, but it's fun while it lasts. It also works with the vital organ skill so dropping anything that isn't a big cat/bear becomes a pleasant breeze of arrow-based death.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I found it right after I posted!

72% complete at end of story, I know there's plenty to go pick up

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, I finished my "survivor" run. I'm not going to say it was balls hard or anything (like any CRPG, for example, if you engage with the side content, you'll build your way beyond the scaling), but it sure was *fun* as all hell. The 'twists' of survivor added just enough variety. And it makes me stoked for the 'endurance mode' when it lands, in hopes that it shows where that notion of balance can go (because the mechanics of the game are totally up for it, for sure).

Man, this game is so loving god-damned good.

Over 50 hours now, across two runs, and frankly it hasn't gotten old yet. I should probably check out that card thing now.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Seems like five whole people bought this game.

Lol Xbox is dead.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Seems like five whole people bought this game.

Lol Xbox is dead.

I'm... one of the five... :ohdear:

Edit: I traded in, like, 10 PS4 games to get a bone and this game! (2015 has been an interesting year, if nothing else. A *shitload* it gigantic titles came out that I bought and then found I didn't give a poo poo about. At the least, Tomb Raider kept my interest.)

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 8, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Going to be buying it on PC but is the game as obsessed with abusing Lara as the first was? Woman fell hard off every drat ledge she could find.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Going to be buying it on PC but is the game as obsessed with abusing Lara as the first was? Woman fell hard off every drat ledge she could find.

No, there is way less of that. The name of the game is cheesy as all hell, but also *accurate*, at the least. Structurally, you are the 'survivalist' equivalent of the disadvantaged millionnaire, but you are comptetent at every point.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So which writer from Ubisoft got a job at Crystal Dynamics but didn't get Assassins Creed out of his system? I mean, I'm only an hour into it, but the whole Templars chasing down a piece of Eden and being opposed by a lone Assassin story is pretty obvious.

That being said, if the Assassins Creed games were more like Tomb Raider, then I'd probably still be playing them.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

So which writer from Ubisoft got a job at Crystal Dynamics but didn't get Assassins Creed out of his system? I mean, I'm only an hour into it, but the whole Templars chasing down a piece of Eden and being opposed by a lone Assassin story is pretty obvious.

That being said, if the Assassins Creed games were more like Tomb Raider, then I'd probably still be playing them.

Rhihanna Pratchett, Terry Pratchett's daughter wrote both Tomb Raider games. She also helped write Mirror's Edge and Heavenly Sword.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This just appeared on Twitter:

(Jan 29th on PC, if it's too small/too French to read.)

The end of the Bonesclusivity window if true.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Assuming that date bears out, I wonder with things were brought forward some after the game got buried?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I've always heard January thrown around regarding the pc release so I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I've always heard January thrown around regarding the pc release so I doubt it.

Fair enough. I always had March in mind, for some reason.

• Locked thread