Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

The Fool posted:

So which writer from Ubisoft got a job at Crystal Dynamics but didn't get Assassins Creed out of his system? I mean, I'm only an hour into it, but the whole Templars chasing down a piece of Eden and being opposed by a lone Assassin story is pretty obvious.

Take out the names and it's every video game story ever made.

Solid Snake vs the Patriots
Mario vs. Bowser/his army
Sheppard vs. The Reapers
Master Chief vs. The covenant/flood/forerunners
Pac Man vs. The ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Huntsekker posted:

Rhihanna Pratchett, Terry Pratchett's daughter wrote both Tomb Raider games. She also helped write Mirror's Edge and Heavenly Sword.

Man, apple fell pretty far from the tree, or else her scripts got pretty watered down. Mirror's Edge had an ok-at-best story, and the New Tomb Raider game was a cool idea done real dumb.

"My one Asian friend is secretly a Chinese magical princess all along!"

Also the lifeless, bland dialog. None of the wit that I'd expect from a Pratchett.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Man, apple fell pretty far from the tree, or else her scripts got pretty watered down. Mirror's Edge had an ok-at-best story, and the New Tomb Raider game was a cool idea done real dumb.

"My one Asian friend is secretly a Chinese magical princess all along!"

Also the lifeless, bland dialog. None of the wit that I'd expect from a Pratchett.

this is coming second, or, third hand, but what I heard is she was brought on after the fact with those two games to write a story after they were like, half-way done making the game or worse

Rising has had her on board from the start, I think?

I'm glad the exclusivity window isn't as long as I thought it would be

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Let's be honest here: most of the time, the main job of a AAA video game writer is to stitch together the various setpieces in a way that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone playing the game. If you actually manage to keep things coherent and emotionally effecting, that's just gravy.

By the way, wasn't Rhianna Pratchett also involved with Thi4f in some capacity? I remember something about her being involved, then asking to have her name taken off the game at some point.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rhianna Pratchett was involved in one of the fifty million iterations the Thief reboot went through in its 4+ years of development.
Regardless, all the games she's been involved in had pretty mediocre or awful storylines, so she's just another Bad Writer in the field of AAA video games.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Overlord exists

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just finished this. What a good rear end game it was.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Marshal Radisic posted:

Let's be honest here: most of the time, the main job of a AAA video game writer is to stitch together the various setpieces in a way that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone playing the game. If you actually manage to keep things coherent and emotionally effecting, that's just gravy.

Pretty much this. Excellent game writing is rare, just because there's so many moving parts, and how much can change with a game during development. The only game I can think of off hand that I would say had great writing is Gone Home or Last of Us, and even then it's not the best.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay, so I've just finished the voice of God tomb and I can't figure out how to get back. Going back where I came doesn't work, and the only other option is a bridge that's too far away and has no rope post.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
got this for christmas game is cool but why does laura have to search for wood when theres literally 2 million birch trees right next to here which are the best firestarter wood ever so much for "great writing"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Because video games?

Also, who said "great writing?" The game's story is standard video game "find the macguffin before the evil people" fare. You don't play this game for the writing, you play it because it's a light metroidvania, and it lets you climb around on cool looking set pieces.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess.

I want this game to end, it's fun but its alot of the same over and over again.
I just unlocked explosive grenades am I atleast half way yet

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Fool posted:

Because video games?

Also, who said "great writing?" The game's story is standard video game "find the macguffin before the evil people" fare. You don't play this game for the writing, you play it because it's a light metroidvania, and it lets you climb around on cool looking set pieces.

I just wanna play it because it seems to really allow you to choose your style of combat and from what I've seen one of them is: Sneaky rear end in a top hat what stabs people.

Is this true? I love being a sneaky rear end in a top hat what stabs people.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Abu Dave posted:

I guess.

I want this game to end, it's fun but its alot of the same over and over again.
I just unlocked explosive grenades am I atleast half way yet

There are 40 fast travel destinations total if you do all the challenge tombs, I'm guessing 31 if you don't do any of them. That should give you an idea of how far you are through the game.

Capn Beeb posted:

I just wanna play it because it seems to really allow you to choose your style of combat and from what I've seen one of them is: Sneaky rear end in a top hat what stabs people.

Is this true? I love being a sneaky rear end in a top hat what stabs people.

The style is more around the weapon(s) you choose to use and what you decide to upgrade first. You can do a lot of the combat stealth only but there are certain parts in the game where you're forced into a firefight

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

More tombs and less forced shooting? Hot dog, can't wait for that PC release.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

A 10 dollar survival mode DLC was released recently, where you have to gather supplies, stay warm, and hunt for food. It also uses the card power-ups. It struck me as a mix between Tomb Raider and don't starve. It seems pretty cool, but pricey if you didn't buy the season pass.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The automatic headshot perk makes this game wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That helicopter boss fight was the worst boss fight i've playe din a LOOOONGGGG time

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The story is pretty weak compared to the first one, like how Lara acts like Trinity is her arch nemesis the first time we see them, even though she's never met or mentioned them before. And how it never explains the source, but Lara acts like she knows all about it (?) at the end. The gameplay is fun, and it runs well on the 360.

I seem to have the bug where the bird needed for a sidequest never spawns, so I'm waiting on the next patch to fix it - it's the last mission I need for the achievement. It seems like a really easy one, but the game decided that it doesn't want to spawn the bird for whatever reason.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

The large single player DLC, Baba Yaga-Temple of the Witch is out now for Xbox One for 9.99. Here's a synopsis:

In addition to a brand new part of the story, the “Baba Yaga” DLC also includes a new outfit and bow for Lara, a new character voiced by actress Ashly Burch (Borderlands series, Life is Strange), and will expand on “several ideas” from the development team to explore new territory for Lara, as an official description of the DLC explains:

“Deep in the wilds of Siberia lies a forest that no man will enter, where a Soviet expedition vanished without a trace. Lara enters the Wicked Vale in search of a missing man, but she finds a nightmare that defies explanation. Is the witch, Baba Yaga, haunting the forest? Or is there more to the myth? Lara will face new adversaries, explore a new tomb, solve a decades old mystery, and face off against an ancient evil.”

The “Baba Yaga” DLC will also release alongside the upcoming PC version of the title, which will be available through Steam and other retailers on Thursday, January 28th, 2016.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

well, got lured in a discount deal so i guess i'll be playing this on release, that dlc seems interesting but i'll wait to see how i like the actual game in truth
i still feel like i haven't heard much about how the game actually plays, but i''ll take the lack of nerd uproar as a good sign. even with being completely overshadowed by fallout 4 nerds never miss out the chance for a good shitfit

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Can't wait till this releases tomorrow! I'm really really excited about playing it, in no small part because Tomb Raider 2013 was super gay and I kinda hope that continues at least in part in the sequel. Can anyone confirm/deny? At the very least I hope Sam makes a return.

In any event, very excited and looking forwards to it. Shame ROTR didn't seem more popular than it was, but a delayed launch will do that I suppose!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Iron Rose posted:

Can't wait till this releases tomorrow! I'm really really excited about playing it, in no small part because Tomb Raider 2013 was super gay and I kinda hope that continues at least in part in the sequel. Can anyone confirm/deny? At the very least I hope Sam makes a return.

In any event, very excited and looking forwards to it. Shame ROTR didn't seem more popular than it was, but a delayed launch will do that I suppose!

Sam is not in Rise outside of being mentioned in a recording, and according to the story as presented in the comics, is currently locked in a mental ward, still possessed by the ghost of Himiko. Yaaaaay.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

what

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well that's lame. Oh well! Should still be a fun and cool game

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Found these promos on another forum and it actually worked for me!
For Nvidia cards GTX 970-980 series

https://www.evga.com/articles/00977/Rise-of-The-Tomb-Raider/

http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider/ (After you click Redeem now! Set your region to Japan)

I have an Asus gtx-970 from last year and the region selector worked for me and I got my code.

If you have one of these cards, check and see if your manufacturer is also honoring this promo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Eatpants posted:

Found these promos on another forum and it actually worked for me!
For Nvidia cards GTX 970-980 series

https://www.evga.com/articles/00977/Rise-of-The-Tomb-Raider/

http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider/ (After you click Redeem now! Set your region to Japan)

I have an Asus gtx-970 from last year and the region selector worked for me and I got my code.

If you have one of these cards, check and see if your manufacturer is also honoring this promo.

Dang, my EVGA doesn't qualify. Bought it back in November from Newegg. Was hoping this would pan out as I've not found any cheap keys from trustworthy sources for this :argh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tomb Raider has been one of my games since I first got 1 on the Playstation. I am really looking forward to this for my PC. It still remains the only series where I can say "Yup, completed each of them!"

Most of them released right around my birthday so it was usually one of the gifts I got (or got myself) and I would then complete them that week. Last years reboot is also one of only a handful of games that 100%ing did not feel tiresome or a chore!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do they still have the bouncy and wobbly camera when Lara moves around? It made me sicker than any game has so far and it's infuriating cause these games seem good.

Related, was there ever a mod released that removed it for the first one? Can't find anything.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Anyone else getting "Failed to reach server" errors?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This is crashing for me a few minutes in. Fallout 4 and other games run find indefinitely. Grrrr. Really looking forward to playing this :argh:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Having neither server nor crashing issues. Enjoying it so far, got eaten by a bear. Bad game to play during Winter though, just looking at Lara shiver in the snow makes me cold too!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Running great for me so far. ~90fps on a 980ti @ 2560x1440 max settings except AA, which I put on SMAA. There was a game ready driver that I think came out for it today.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There must be some London sports doctor that is rich as gently caress off Lara Croft's back and shoulders, goddamn.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I made a thing randomly because I saw another thing while fartassing on the web and saw some RotTR screens.

It's 150x150 and under 100kb so will fit as an av

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

Baba Yaga Trip report:

I liked that the DLC is integrated into a normal playthrough, and should flow well the next time I play through the game. It's about an hour and a half to 2 hours long, and has some good rewards for doing it. The story is super obvious, and you should figure out in the first couple of logs you find. Overall, it's decent, but I was just happy to have an excuse to play some more of the game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Holy moly, I just started playing this and it is utterly beautiful. The graphics are flooring me. Not to mention the gameplay is just as great as TR2013!

So glad they released it sooner rather than later!

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Couple of hours in and it appears to be the previous game, but better.

I 100% completed the last game twice.

I am very pleased with how Rise of the Tomb Raider is turning out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do you ever leave the Soviet Installation hub? I just opened a big door to somewhere and am thinking I might be on my way to a new hub. I also still don't have the shotgun and just unlocked the next tier of weapon mods. Is this game as long as it's looking right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dogen posted:

Do you ever leave the Soviet Installation hub? I just opened a big door to somewhere and am thinking I might be on my way to a new hub. I also still don't have the shotgun and just unlocked the next tier of weapon mods. Is this game as long as it's looking right now?

The Soviet hub is one of two large hubs that you go back to multiple times.

• Locked thread