Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

checkstock posted:

It might be because there's like half a dozen comic books that cover the gap between the games. Like this isn't Lara's first real run in with Trinity and Sam isn't in the game because she's in a mental institution and is still possessed by Himiko for some reason.

Don't ask me why they felt the need to tell most of the story through tie-in comic books.

Not really into the games but wow that is a lovely and mean way to fridge a character that the hero actually had some existing back-and-forth with. Especially as she's only going to be replaced with Indiana Jones Supporting Cast Member #23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm approaching the research base and suddenly can't turn my camera around anymore, it's just stuck in the direction I'm moving. I'm assuming this is a bug?

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 7, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

At the end of the game theres a part where you can cinematically execute a bad guy who is sitting on the ground bleeding to death after being Tomb Raided to hell. If you pick up a tin can from the ground and throw it at them, it will also kill them. The game helpfully provides a slow mo dramatic camera angle for this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FWIW I felt the same way at first, but I felt like Jonah was a lot better written in his game than in the first one, where he was nothing much more than a walking talking mystical native stereotype.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

DrNutt posted:

FWIW I felt the same way at first, but I felt like Jonah was a lot better written in his game than in the first one, where he was nothing much more than a walking talking mystical native stereotype.

I didn't even remember Jonah was in the first game until now that you mentioned it. I finished RotTR on the Bone a couple of months ago.

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 7, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
How the hell do I unlock level 2 skills? I've obtained 9 "competence points" and spent 6 of them, but like even in Survivor, where I've spent 3, I can't get the level 2 skills. When I go over the Level 2 skill, it says "master 2 competences to unlock the next level". So what gives? When I look at the skills ("Attentive Eye") it says that I've mastered the skill, and I get the little check mark, so it doesn't seem like there's some sort of secondary level I need to get. I can't find anything else about this online, but I'm not sure if that's because RotTR only sold 10 copies, or because it's so obvious everyone else figured it out. E: or if it's a v1.00 bug (I can't patch, not enough Internet where I am now to download the system update + game update).

(Not playing in English, so the words might be slightly off.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 8, 2016

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

How the hell do I unlock level 2 skills? I've obtained 9 "competence points" and spent 6 of them, but like even in Survivor, where I've spent 3, I can't get the level 2 skills. When I go over the Level 2 skill, it says "master 2 competences to unlock the next level". So what gives? When I look at the skills ("Attentive Eye") it says that I've mastered the skill, and I get the little check mark, so it doesn't seem like there's some sort of secondary level I need to get. I can't find anything else about this online, but I'm not sure if that's because RotTR only sold 10 copies, or because it's so obvious everyone else figured it out.

(Not playing in English, so the words might be slightly off.)

To unlock the next tier of skills you just have to spend a certain amount of points in any of the categories, so the 2 number you're seeing just means "spend 2 more points anywhere". Once you do that you'll be able to buy the tier 2 skills in all of the categories.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
It's saying you need to spend 2 more skill points total across all trees to unlock the next level. You don't get the next level from spending points in that specific tree, just by spending points generally, so you'll unlock all the tier 2s at the same time.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Ahh, awesome, that was it. I didn't really want to spend points in junk skills if I didn't have to, and Survivor said I needed to spend 3 more points to unlock the next tier, while Brawler and Hunter said only 1 more. Not sure how it got out of sync, but that's what confused me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I had the plan of beating the game and then going back and doing all the optional stuff. Saturday I finally beat it and after getting some of the map/backpack pickups and consulting the internet it seems like none of the 'challenge' items are actually spawning in my game in any area. Like the bells you are supposed cut down in the last area just aren't there. I can actually go stand on the spot on my map (and I looked up a youtube to verify I was right) and I have the wooden frame that is supposed to hold them, but no bells. No bullseyes you shoot in the geothermal area. Nothing.

Oh well, it was free from Newegg so whatever I guess. Maybe if you care about 100%ing the game verify you have those things before you sink in too much time.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 8, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Ahh, awesome, that was it. I didn't really want to spend points in junk skills if I didn't have to, and Survivor said I needed to spend 3 more points to unlock the next tier, while Brawler and Hunter said only 1 more. Not sure how it got out of sync, but that's what confused me.

I wouldn't stress out very much. The only EXP-up item I got was the multipleir for headshots and by the end of the game I was struggling to find things to buy. you'll never have to worry about running out of skill points.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Saint Freak posted:

I had the plan of beating the game and then going back and doing all the optional stuff. Saturday I finally beat it and after getting some of the map/backpack pickups and consulting the internet it seems like none of the 'challenge' items are actually spawning in my game in any area. Like the bells you are supposed cut down in the last area just aren't there. I can actually go stand on the spot on my map (and I looked up a youtube to verify I was right) and I have the wooden frame that is supposed to hold them, but no bells. No bullseyes you shoot in the geothermal area. Nothing.

Oh well, it was free from Newegg so whatever I guess. Maybe if you care about 100%ing the game verify you have those things before you sink in too much time.

I just 100% the game without issue but the game has some annoing bugs. I haven't even unlocked the achievements for reading my first monolith or stealth kiling a talking enemy even though I've done both several times.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I just 100% the game without issue but the game has some annoing bugs. I haven't even unlocked the achievements for reading my first monolith or stealth kiling a talking enemy even though I've done both several times.

I preloaded the game and had to restart Steam and then start a new game (I was already a few hours in) to get the starting achievements to show up.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

jonnypeh posted:

I preloaded the game and had to restart Steam and then start a new game (I was already a few hours in) to get the starting achievements to show up.

Thanks. I'll try a Survivor run some time in the future and hopefully they will pop up. Not a big deal, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

For anyone playing on PC, they just patched in the option to reduce camera shake.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh man Lara is comically short in this or is it just me? She's not just tilting her head up to talk to no name shitdick NPCs, she's like arching her whole back. As a short person (5'5 :smith: ) it's nice to see some representation :suicide:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh man Lara is comically short in this or is it just me? She's not just tilting her head up to talk to no name shitdick NPCs, she's like arching her whole back. As a short person (5'5 :smith: ) it's nice to see some representation :suicide:

'Sup short buddy :smith::hf::smith:

Anyone have the season pass willing to offer an opinion on the DLC? Is Endurance mode and Baba Yaga the only 'story' DLC they're offering? I'm replaying this on PC but I can get the season pass for cheap on the Bone so I'm thinking about going back afterwards.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah at some point I just figured all the remnants were literally giants or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah she's tiny.

Guess it helps with all the climbing.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Chasiubao posted:

Anyone have the season pass willing to offer an opinion on the DLC? Is Endurance mode and Baba Yaga the only 'story' DLC they're offering? I'm replaying this on PC but I can get the season pass for cheap on the Bone so I'm thinking about going back afterwards.

EM and Baba Yaga is all they've put out so *far* (I think you get costumes too? I'm fuzzy on that one). Endurance Mode very much isn't 'story dlc'. It is a seperate thing, part of the 'expedition' side of the game. It isn't integrated into the campaign. I enjoyed playing Baba Yaga. It doesn't mix up the formula of the game much - it is very much "more RotTR", though I will say it has a couple of enjoyable and lengthy action/platforming sequences that are quite unlike anything in the base game. With respect to story beats, it is absolutely predictable, and quite heavy handed - even by the standards of the base game. For what it is worth though, playing through it is part of my regular rotation when playing through the campaign.

Endurance Mode certainly seems to be well *realised* - a mode that emphasises the survival aspects. Tomb Raider as a contemporary survival game. Seperate from the campaign, you explore, raid, find stuff, and need to take care of heat and food to survive. It emphasises the mechanical aspects. That said, for me at least, part of the secret sauce of Tomb Raider is the balance of elements as present in the campaign, so in that context Endurance Mode is quite inessential.

I'd say wait to see how the content pans out in the long term, and hold out for a deal on PC. (Unless Endurance Mode really sounds like your cup of tea. To be sure, I'm not into 'survival games', so I bounced right off Endurance Mode)

Edit: Have you tried 'survivor' in campaign? That is pretty rad.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 13, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chasiubao posted:

I really, really like Endurance Mode. I think it's the correct answer to the question, "What do we make that's not a nonsensical tacked-on co-operative multiplayer deathmatch". For someone that doesn't understand the appeal behind survival games, I find that it pushes all of my NetHack buttons. I would play more of it, but my computer is a graphical gimp and can't run it well. Better after the patch to eliminate the stuttering when moving from tile-to-tile, but it's just not as satisfying an experience with the settings turned down as low as they can go to maintain playable FPS.

I am more down on Baba Yaga. I think it's incredibly short compared to the value that Endurance Mode is. My exact thoughts were, "I expected this game to give me more mans to shoot before I beat it." (That may have been because I really needed more springs and scrap for that last upgrade, though.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
What key am I supposed to be pressing to end this quicktime event to kill the final boss? At the very end it tells me to press C to duck under his knife swing, then it does the thing where the circle closes in to a center point and I've died about 20 times just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to hit here and when. Melee, duck, and attack all seem to do nothing regardless of when they're hit. The dumb mechanic only happens one other time in the game that I can recall when that bear attacks you and I absolutely can't remember or figure out how it works.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There's a hatch-shaded zone outside of the exclaimation point. That's when you push it.

Push it too early, you flub. Push it too late, you flub. You need to push it while the shrinking circle is in that shaded zone.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Surprisingly, Rise of the Tomb Raider won an "outstanding achievement" award for video game writing from the Writer's Guild Awards.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-wins-writing-award-beating/1100-6434782/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What

If this game won an outstanding writing award, i really don't want to imagine the competition. The writing was one of just two complaints i have with this game, the other being the ridiculously over-the-top disintegration aura Lara carries with her. Oh, the Tomb Raider is here? Time for the general countryscape to crumble into dust. But only once she comes along and only the first time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HenryEx posted:

What

If this game won an outstanding writing award, i really don't want to imagine the competition. The writing was one of just two complaints i have with this game, the other being the ridiculously over-the-top disintegration aura Lara carries with her. Oh, the Tomb Raider is here? Time for the general countryscape to crumble into dust. But only once she comes along and only the first time.

one of the competition was witcher 3 and like two other good games.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There is no universe where this game has better writing than The Witcher 3, or practically anything else released last year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm sorry, RotTR isn't the worst-written game ever but it getting an award over Witcher 3 is lol.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

HenryEx posted:

If this game won an outstanding writing award, i really don't want to imagine the competition.

quote:

It beat out The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Pillars of Eternity for the honor.
lol

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

What

Oh, it's worse than that, man. Wherever Lara goes, people die, animals are murdered, buildings crumble, and the land is stripped of any and all natural resources. Lara Croft is the dark mask of civilization itself.

As for the WGA award, I don't really understand it either. I found myself disengaging from the story about a third of the way through, mostly because I found most everyone around Lara neither fun nor interesting. RoTR still has the same problem the Tomb Raider reboot had; someone at Squeenix decided that the series couldn't be fun or upbeat under the belief that gamers would just accuse it of ripping off Uncharted (which, in this hypothetical person's defense, is exactly what would happen). My problem is that I keep coming into these games expecting a rollicking good time, so whenever I watch the characters having earnest discussions about their daddy issues or protecting their communities, I just want to say "Dude, the main enemy of this game is a Catholic death squad. Lighten up."

Also, did anyone find it really weird that, beyond the DLC, there are no Russian people in this video game set in the middle of Russia? How did Trinity ship their Blackhawk-esque choppers to the middle of Siberia without getting them confiscated? Why did the Soviets never come back with tanks and choppers after that gulag uprising in 1970 (which, to be honest, seems like something that should have happened after Stalin died along with the other major uprisings)?

EDIT: I don't really want any explanation for the last part; I'm just grousing.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tbh, if the writing in this game is at least similar to the reboot, then it's above and beyond Pillars of no motivation and rear end creed. Still, weird that it beat Witcher since the facial animations alone in witcher tell a story better than any game I've played.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Rise of the Tomb raider probably won because no one at the writers guild played any of the other games (or any of the nominated games and tomb raider ist the most recognizable name on that list of nominated games) :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Tbh, if the writing in this game is at least similar to the reboot, then it's above and beyond Pillars of no motivation and rear end creed. Still, weird that it beat Witcher since the facial animations alone in witcher tell a story better than any game I've played.

It isn't. The original reboot had more fleshed-out characters and more impact in its writing. RotTR is absolutely perfunctory and somewhat random.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

halwain posted:

Rise of the Tomb raider probably won because no one at the writers guild played any of the other games (or any of the nominated games and tomb raider ist the most recognizable name on that list of nominated games) :v:

And the writer is probably the most recognizable name on the list of writers. I don't think the writing itself was actually bad, anyway, the problem I think is that the game itself just didn't match the writing. Pratchett wrote a super serious adventure story, but it's slotted into a game which doesn't have enough consistency to be believable. If you are going to make a game with a story that humourless, you can't really get away with stuff like "enemy steals Lara's bow and she has no guns now for no reason". That's a ridiculous gameplay contrivance and you can only do that if you're not taking yourself 100% seriously all of the time.

Edit:Not to say I think the writing is actually good, but it could have at least been passable in a game which fit its own narrative

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, the plot was better than Pillars of Eternity (nonsensical over the top pomposity, almost a parody of itself) and AC:Syndicate (didn't play it but I can only guess). Winning over TW3 is insane though. It'd be like the next Fast and Furious film getting an Oscar for Best Screenplay.

Speaking of plot, I didn't mind it too much but I really didn't understand about Jacob. So he's the Prophet, but he used the Divine Source to become immortal, so he's not actually chosen by God or anything. He just found the Divine Source somewhere and used it on himself. Why does he apparently keep his soul, while all the other people lost theirs? I mean that makes it seem like he should be the Real Deal, but then Lara and Jacob both seem to agree that he's basically some huge scam artist.

E: At least Fallout 4 didn't get nominated. I think that's the worst written plot of any AAA game I've ever played. "Housewife of a military man, frozen in time for 200 years, becomes super hardened badass killer within minutes of emerging from stasis to save her child who is snatching people from the countryside for ??? science reasons (you wouldn't understand so it's not worth explaining to you)"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 16, 2016

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I liked the main game so I bought all the DLC and I'm pretty disappointed. Baba Yaga is a visual set piece, a rope puzzle, and a boss fight. All of which were pretty cool but over extremely quickly.

Endurance mode is really cool for like 10 minutes. Then it's just repetitive as poo poo. It needs more dynamism. Weather events that require shelter. New enemy types. The ability to build a fire or shelter at a much higher resource cost and more dangerous zones that reward it. As is, it's just "Run in one direction until you find a generic tomb; kill animals on the way" and the only increasing difficulty is the harder enemy types. I got to 5 days and helicoptered out because it was just tedious. The Xbone leaderboard is at like 73 days which is crazy. I feel like 5 completed days took like an hour, but maybe it was shorter as I was getting bored.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

man nurse posted:

For anyone playing on PC, they just patched in the option to reduce camera shake.

What's it like now? Is there a comparison vid or something?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Dongattack posted:

What's it like now? Is there a comparison vid or something?

For me, it straight up made the game playable and removed all traces of motion sickness. There's still a lot of camera shake during certain cutscenes, but not during normal play.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DrNutt posted:

Jonah was so bad in the first game that my mind blocked out all memory of him. It took me about five minutes to figure out who he was when I booted up Rise :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao if you can't appreciate the story of a goddess of entropy and destruction bound into human form, desperately trying to kill enough men to stop her powers constantly flaring up.

• Locked thread