Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Let's be honest here: most of the time, the main job of a AAA video game writer is to stitch together the various setpieces in a way that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone playing the game. If you actually manage to keep things coherent and emotionally effecting, that's just gravy.

By the way, wasn't Rhianna Pratchett also involved with Thi4f in some capacity? I remember something about her being involved, then asking to have her name taken off the game at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

What

If this game won an outstanding writing award, i really don't want to imagine the competition. The writing was one of just two complaints i have with this game, the other being the ridiculously over-the-top disintegration aura Lara carries with her. Oh, the Tomb Raider is here? Time for the general countryscape to crumble into dust. But only once she comes along and only the first time.

Oh, it's worse than that, man. Wherever Lara goes, people die, animals are murdered, buildings crumble, and the land is stripped of any and all natural resources. Lara Croft is the dark mask of civilization itself.

As for the WGA award, I don't really understand it either. I found myself disengaging from the story about a third of the way through, mostly because I found most everyone around Lara neither fun nor interesting. RoTR still has the same problem the Tomb Raider reboot had; someone at Squeenix decided that the series couldn't be fun or upbeat under the belief that gamers would just accuse it of ripping off Uncharted (which, in this hypothetical person's defense, is exactly what would happen). My problem is that I keep coming into these games expecting a rollicking good time, so whenever I watch the characters having earnest discussions about their daddy issues or protecting their communities, I just want to say "Dude, the main enemy of this game is a Catholic death squad. Lighten up."

Also, did anyone find it really weird that, beyond the DLC, there are no Russian people in this video game set in the middle of Russia? How did Trinity ship their Blackhawk-esque choppers to the middle of Siberia without getting them confiscated? Why did the Soviets never come back with tanks and choppers after that gulag uprising in 1970 (which, to be honest, seems like something that should have happened after Stalin died along with the other major uprisings)?

EDIT: I don't really want any explanation for the last part; I'm just grousing.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 15, 2016

• Locked thread