Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What was Oklahoma State ranked last week in the coaches poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

go3 posted:

they put 9 points on Vanderbilt and if that game went on another 4 quarters they probably couldn't get past 10;
Championship teams have those kind of games, what makes them championship teams is that they win

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Grittybeard posted:

What was Oklahoma State ranked last week in the coaches poll?

Tenth.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't get rankings. Last week, Northwestern was unranked in the AP and Coach's poll, but then during the game I saw everyone said they were ranked 21 by the Committee. So the Committee rankings, which don't get put out until week 9, all of a sudden supersede all of the the other polls and Northwestern was a "ranked team?"

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

None of the rankings from any poll matter except what the committee decides. The first 8 weeks or whatever are just to build up hype and give people poo poo to argue about

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't get rankings. Last week, Northwestern was unranked in the AP and Coach's poll, but then during the game I saw everyone said they were ranked 21 by the Committee. So the Committee rankings, which don't get put out until week 9, all of a sudden supersede all of the the other polls and Northwestern was a "ranked team?"
The committee ranking is the only one that matters, so yes.

It was the same thing when the BCS rankings first came out mid-season.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Championship teams have those kind of games, what makes them championship teams is that they win

Houston beat that same Vanderbilt team 34-0 last week.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It's amazing how bald-face the copying of the CFP poll the coaches poll is.

The continued high rank of Stanford is hilarious. Also love how everyone thinks TCU was overrated so we drop them a lot but the team that beat this overrated team jumps 5 spots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yes. Same thing happened last year. The sports media considers (rightfully, I think) the committee's rankings to be more important than the AP poll since the committee's rankings actually matter for playoff placement.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is what happens when your team is never ranked after week 5.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Go Navy, Go Temple, Go Clemson, Go Big 12 circular firing squad.

gently caress all teams that play garbage schedules (especially if you have a choice).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
So more things are happening at Mizzou:

e: as always, never read the replies to the tweet

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 8, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jaweeeblop posted:

None of the rankings from any poll matter except what the committee decides. The first 8 weeks or whatever are just to build up hype and give people poo poo to argue about

Also the committee poll doesn't matter either until the last week.

Frinkahedron posted:

It's cool of him to support his guys, but would the offense really be that much worse without them?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Frinkahedron posted:

Owns

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

korrandark posted:

Just win, baby

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Frinkahedron posted:

This is excellent.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Frinkahedron posted:

e: as always, never read the replies to the tweet

This is one of those things where you find out a bunch of people you thought were somewhat rational are gigantic shitheads.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Thoguh posted:

My new totally wrong playoff team predictions
Week 4: Ohio State, Baylor, Ole Miss, UCLA/Utah Winner
Week 5: Ohio State, Baylor, Alabama, Florida State
Week 6: Baylor, Utah, Florida State, LSU
Week 7: Baylor, Utah, Alabama, Florida State
Week 8: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson 
Week 9: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson

Week 10: Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma

I like you.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well I guess if Utah wins out they will be the P5 champion left out based on where everyone else is

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Rad Valtar posted:

So who do you guys think will be #4 on Tuesday? One of the ESPN "experts" thinks it will be Oklahoma State but I'm not convinced the committee will jump someone 10 spots.

I doubt they'll be in the top 4 yet, but at least theoretically they wouldn't be jumping 10 spots since the committee claims they start fresh with each ranking.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

korrandark posted:

...and then held on to win by only 3 points at home against a mediocre Cincinnati team. Performances fluctuate from week to week due to injury, motivation, etc. Look at Houston's powder puff schedule and you'll understand why the Vanderbilt game was one they probably had circled on their calendar. I think Houston's a good team but you shouldn't make too much out of one game, especially when it's Vanderbilt.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

Also the committee poll doesn't matter either until the last week.

It's cool of him to support his guys, but would the offense really be that much worse without them?

Give credit to Maty Mauk for his leadership he stopped playing/practicing before this whole thing picked up steam imo

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LLCoolJD posted:

...and then held on to win by only 3 points at home against a mediocre Cincinnati team. Performances fluctuate from week to week due to injury, motivation, etc. Look at Houston's powder puff schedule and you'll understand why the Vanderbilt game was one they probably had circled on their calendar. I think Houston's a good team but you shouldn't make too much out of one game, especially when it's Vanderbilt.

Cinci is better than their record suggests. Their losses are to Houston, BYU, Memphis and Temple, and they beat Miami (FL) as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

My new totally wrong playoff team predictions
Week 4: Ohio State, Baylor, Ole Miss, UCLA/Utah Winner
Week 5: Ohio State, Baylor, Alabama, Florida State
Week 6: Baylor, Utah, Florida State, LSU
Week 7: Baylor, Utah, Alabama, Florida State
Week 8: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson 
Week 9: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson

Week 10: Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma

Clemson, Alabama, Stanford, LSU

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.

Doronin posted:

Also, what are your thoughts on Kevin Steele as defensive coordinator so far?

Not overly impressed but it's not all on him, the defense seems to suffer from the offense when they shut it down and try to run out the clock after halftime. The front 7 has played well early before fading terribly as the game goes on, which is more of a depth issue, but the secondary hasn't been nearly good enough and that appears to me to be because of scheme. He definitely doesn't bring anything to the table that Chavis didn't, but I need to watch last night's game again to really see what went wrong on that side of the ball.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this the first time ever that beating the #2 team doesn't move you up in rankings? Bama was #4 last week right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fluffdaddy posted:

Glad Clemson won so everyone will forget about that 3rd down spike before halftime. That poo poo was almost a game changer.

I almost spilled my 3rd beer of the evening when that happened

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mastershakeman posted:

Is this the first time ever that beating the #2 team doesn't move you up in rankings? Bama was #4 last week right?

Im still betting on them moving up. We'll find out Tuesday

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Those aren't the CFP rankings. I'm guessing that on Tuesday the rankings will be

Clemson
Bama
OSU
Baylor or something I guess?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Emron posted:

Those aren't the CFP rankings. I'm guessing that on Tuesday the rankings will be

Clemson
Bama
OSU
Baylor or something I guess?

I would like to see the committee continue trolling Baylor by putting Oklahoma State at #4.

I mean, ideally Iowa would be #4, but that's not going to happen.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

mastershakeman posted:

Their quality loss not looking so quality now

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Scarf posted:

I almost spilled my 3rd beer of the evening when that happened

You're not allowed to lose the rest of the year :colbert:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Notre Dame will probably end up at 4 this week. Their resume is starting to look better and better each week. They are Navy and Temple's only loss, Pitt has only lost to undefeated or one-loss teams, and USC is still considered a quality win by many. At this point in time, I don't think Baylor has a better resume than Notre Dame, but that could all change in the upcoming weeks.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

lamentable dustman posted:

We're all Auburn fans now.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

lamentable dustman posted:

Eh, it worked out for OSU last year

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Emron posted:

Eh, it worked out for OSU last year

That required the most thorough beatdown of a non cupcake team I've ever seen. If OSU/Wisconsin had been a close game, Baylor/TCU would've been in.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm still not worried about the rankings. If Oklahoma wins out, we're almost certainly in. If we lose, we have no chance in hell. That's fine by me.

A Millen Buckaroo
Oct 6, 2007

Doronin posted:

I could live a hundred lifetimes and never, ever understand why Les Miles was so loyal to starting Jordan Jefferson. But you're right, with the sole exception of Mettenberger and all the talent those two years, I never thought about the 2008 pick-six madness as such a turning point.

And you're right about next year. Pretty much the entire LSU offense will be back next year, yet I really don't see a reason to be overly optimistic unless Miles decides to ride off into the sunset and a new staff comes in and shakes it up. Otherwise, we already know it's going to be 3-yards and a cloud of dust, pound the rock, etc... as you described.

Also, what are your thoughts on Kevin Steele as defensive coordinator so far?

The only thing I can figure is that Miles is determined to do things his way and he decided that Jefferson was his way to victory so he had to stick with it. I thought Jefferson looked alright until he got the majority of the coaching focus. You would think it would raise some flags that he got worse the more coaching he got, but here we are.

As for Steele, for whatever reason Les has been hiring guys who are more recruiters than coaches. Coach O is really the only guy they have brought on that can do both.

And I know it seems silly to hear LSU fans complain about Miles considering his record, but I think his stubbornness has cost them a fair amount of game and has probably tanked a bunch of careers along the way.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

I'm still not worried about the rankings. If Oklahoma wins out, we're almost certainly in. If we lose, we have no chance in hell. That's fine by me.

Better hope for a Notre Dame loss in that scenario. In that situation, Oklahoma and Notre Dame would both have 1 loss, with Notre Dame's loss to Clemson and Oklahoma's loss to Texas, who Notre Dame killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

Coach's Poll is out.

1. Ohio State
2. Clemson
3. Baylor
4. Alabama
5. Oklahoma State
6. Notre Dame
7. Stanford
8. Iowa
9. LSU
10. Florida :laffo:
11. Oklahoma
12. TCU
13. Utah
14. Michigan State
15. Michigan
16. Houston
17. North Carolina
T-18. Florida State
T-18. UCLA
20. Mississippi State
21. Temple
22. Wisconsin
23. Navy
24. Northwestern
25. Memphis

Yea Florida barely won better kick them out of the top 25.

• Locked thread