Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This week was really bad for unbeatens. Only six left.

AAC: Houston (9-0)
ACC: Clemson (9-0)
Big XII: Oklahoma State (9-0), Baylor (8-0)
Big Ten: Ohio State (9-0), Iowa (9-0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So, uh, what happened to Michigan State?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My new totally wrong playoff team predictions
Week 4: Ohio State, Baylor, Ole Miss, UCLA/Utah Winner
Week 5: Ohio State, Baylor, Alabama, Florida State
Week 6: Baylor, Utah, Florida State, LSU
Week 7: Baylor, Utah, Alabama, Florida State
Week 8: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson 
Week 9: Ohio State, Baylor, LSU, Clemson

Week 10: Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Noctone posted:

It's not so much that they moved up as the people above them embarrassed themselves and the people below them didn't do much to impress.

Pretty much. There aren't any really dominant teams this year and there isn't any player that is head and shoulders above others for the Heisman. It's all muddled.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I made a list of things I want to have happen

Week 11:
NC State over Florida State
Mississippi State over Alabama
Memphis over Houston
Minnesota over Iowa
Oklahoma over Baylor
Oregon over Stanford

Week 12:
Memphis over Temple
Michigan State over Ohio State
Oklahoma over TCU
Baylor over Oklahoma State
Ole Miss over LSU
UCLA over Utah

Week 13:
Michigan over Ohio State
Florida State over Florida
Oklahoma over Oklahoma State
Stanford over Notre Dame

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What a horrifying fandom it must be to exist in where this list doesn't include, say, a single win by the team that you cheer for.

That's assumed. Those are all games with playoff/New Year's Bowl implications.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

chaoslord posted:

If we're doing wish lists, Arkansas winning out combined with Bama losses to Miss State and Auburn will put the Hogs in the SECCG :getin:

I like that plan. Let's do that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chump Farts posted:

that is the liberating thing

now that it happened, i can stop worrying about it

I hope my team can provide Oklahoma State with a similar inner peace on Saturday.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

It was not listed until recently, but somehow I divined that Northwestern-Purdue would be an 11am start.

A regular Sherlock Holmes we got here.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Can we make your Moon Poll reality?

BTW, if we win this game and LSU loses one more to either Ole Miss or Arky (possible, especially with Bama hangover), we win the 3 way tiebreaker if we take Ole Miss and Arky down.

Not likely, but not completely out of the realm of reality. I think we would take a QB free Florida down, and then we are not put in the playoff because we would be 11-2.

I'm down for all of this scenario.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's okay, Trevone Boykin. It ain't called T. Boone Completi-ens Stadium, is it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Playoff Committee's primary purpose in life is to troll Baylor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fluffdaddy posted:

Once again none of this matters until championship games are played. So why get worked up or even have an opinion about it?

Fan of a team tanked number two despite a loss to an unranked team is confident it'll all work out. Weird.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 11, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Scarf posted:

We like pizza, thankyou very much :colbert:

Oh and ND gonna lose to Stanford.

I hope it isn't an evening game. It wouldn't be fair for Notre Dame to have to play a game that doesn't start until 10PM according to their body clocks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LLCoolJD posted:

Not to take anything away from Ole Miss (Alabama certainly didn't), but it was the 5 turnovers that killed Alabama. A loss is a loss. I just think by the end of the season, if they win out, this loss won't matter.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400603850

And it was good to see the committee give TCU the same consideration for uncharacteristically having four turnovers in their game against Oklahoma State.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

What is TCU's best win?

The committee was vocally giving Alabama a pass on that well before they picked up the LSU win.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

The 4 Big XII contenders have played 3 teams with a winning record COMBINED.

Tennessee
Tulsa x2
Central Arkansas (FCS)

That argument only makes sense in a vacuum though. One of the consequences of pushing all the big games to the end of the season is that the middle of the Big XII has depressed records right now because they've played the top teams. WVU and Tech aren't bad teams just because they played a bunch of really good teams in a row. They'll finish with winning records. Unlike the Big Ten and the SEC, there are only so many wins to go around since the conference plays a round robin.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

A&M, Wisconsin, and Tennessee are all better than every single team TCU has beaten.

There is one common opponent among those teams and teams TCU has beaten

Wisconsin beat Maryland 31-24
West Virginia beat Maryland 45-6

There's no reason to think Wisconsin is better than West Virginia.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

Which is why out of conference scheduling is so important. Something only Oklahoma (and Texas) seems to realize.

I mean Jesus, even Alabama scheduled a Big Ten team with a pulse.

And with that, they're still only play nine P5 teams, the same as Baylor and fewer than TCU.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LLCoolJD posted:

What's with the pro-BigXII social justice warrior routine?

#BigXIITeamsMatter

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Thoguh is the Big XII equivalent of those Vandy fans who chant S-E-C after Bama wins the title.

I just don't want the conference to be destabilized if it gets left out again. So the bullshit excuses that the committee trots out to leave them out annoy me because they're basically them going "gently caress ISU, go have fun in the AAC" just so ESPN can get it's four superconferences. I don't take pride in what other Big XII teams accomplish. I just get annoyed when they are diminished because it has a direct impact on the school I have my degree from.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Well I mean people should be allowed to cancel their tickets for whatever reason they want. It is not like there is a requirement that you must pay a bunch of money to watch a team play just because you're a fan of them. I would have been hesitant to buy tickets before this year too if I were back in Iowa, especially if I wasn't in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area where it was easy to get to games every week (I did have basketball tickets at the nadir of the Lickliter era, so I am apparently not opposed to supporting a terrible product, but they were also cheap because I was a student and I could walk to games)

There's still well over 10k tickets left for Iowa's last home game next weekend, which seems insane to me.

Megaconferences have destroyed schedules though. If I were an Iowa fan I wouldn't have bought season tickets for that home slate either.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

At least they play a good schedule.

Notre Dame has the best out of conference schedule in the country.

This is a thing I actually expect to come out of Arkansas's athletic directors mouth at some point in the next few weeks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Just want to say I actually like what Iowa State did for their OOC games this season. An instate tuneup, a rival from a major conference (currently one of the better teams in the country), and one of the better mid-majors.

That's what ISU does every year. In fact, the surest way to know in advance what mid majors will soon be on the rise is to see what G5 schools Iowa State has coming up in 3-5 years. ISU has played 3 of the current top 10 and 5 of current the top 15 this year. And somehow we always end up with a top 5 or so FCS team as well.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 11, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Everyone would pull the "Do you know who I am" card. Everyone.

Seriously. What does he have to lose at that point? Might as well mention it and hope for the best.

Thermos H Christ posted:

He phrased it the right way. “I’m the quarterback of Ohio State... there’s nothing you can do?” could be a taken as "I'm in sort of unique position where it's going to be all over the media if I get a DWI, is there any possibility of avoiding that?" I mean he's still playing the I AM FAMOUS card, but not like "I am important and you will regret it if you make an enemy of me."

Also that, it wasn't like he acted like he was untouchable, he was just emptying out the playbook, throwing a Hail Mary, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

For style points, just keep a printout of something like this in your glove box and hand it over with your license and insurance any time you get pulled over.

Am I supposed to put them on flash cards?

Follow up question, do I hand them to the officer or just hold them up for him/her to read?

Follow follow up question, if I get pulled over for speeding is it still relevant to bring up that I won't take a sobriety test?

Follow follow follow up question, is the all caps required or optional?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
poo poo, what if I get my flash cards out of order?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Also I do legit wear suspenders most days

I knew there was a reason you were my favorite Texas poster.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

With the camera angle and the expression on his face it looks like he is getting cuffed in that picture. He should have pulled out his flashcards.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Thermos IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISW3_KT5PeY

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Emron posted:

Alabama has, like, the largest industrial production of foreign-brand cars in the country :colbert:

I thought South Carolina was where all those plants were at.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

ULA builds rockets in Decatur too. That counts, right?

There's a big Aerospace/Defense presence in Huntsville

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Good god, would some other conference PLEASE take the Aggies.

No Backsies. But you are allowed a mulligan on Mizzou if you want.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Somebody needs to troll A&M by adopting a "13th man" slogan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Emron posted:

Yes, congratulations, you got the joke! You did it! Yay!!!!

The initial joke was poorly constructed, IMHO.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Emron posted:

I thought it was good in that it didn't shove the joke in your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

VDay posted:

It's literally the logo Navy SEAL combat divers use all the time, hth.

ie: specifically the skeleton of a frog.

I dunno, I'm obviously biased but I think it's kind of neat. The helmets look better when they're not from a grainy phone screenshot, and I think putting the logo on rather than just some stars & stripes thing (which we did last week) is a nice touch.

It looks cool in a vacuum. But it looks stupid to randomly have it on UCLA's helmets like that.

• Locked thread