Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

Not surprised, per se, to lose to Northwestern. Ten straight games is rough. Lousy to lose after having a chance to wrap it up once and for all after coming back from what seemed like an impossible hole.

I mean, NW should have won by 10 and didn't. They had plenty of chances to not make it a close game and Penn State left too many chances for Northwestern to have won in the first place

Yeah, that was one of the only games I can remember against a 7-2 Big Ten team when Northwestern was up 20-7 at the half and it seemed like they should be up more. Then, Thorson (who had actually been looking pretty good!) got knocked out and we got stuck with Zack Oliver, a big, immobile, inaccurate dude who is the last loving kind of qb you want against a nasty pass rush and with receivers who can't get open. Also, Oliver literally turned the ball over on four consecutive possessions in the Hat Game Bowl Game and gave Beckman the win and for that I'll never forgive him. Penn State only got back into the game because of a bonehead set of penalties and the flukiest fumblerooski WR option pass I've ever seen and because THE GREAT HERO JACK MITCHELL missed two field goals and an extra point before drilling the game-winner because he is a GREAT HERO and he PLAYS BASEBALL DID YOU KNOW THAT BETH.

James Franklin's game management is very eccentric.

e: someone please point me in the direction of the shittiest, most insanely reactionary Penn State message board on the internet, I want to read about how it's unacceptable to lose to Northwestern (a ranked team at home) and how James Franklin should be fired crazy rear end purestrain JoePa truther poo poo.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My dude Justin Jackson had a career-high 186 yards today, and SOLOMON VAULT (!) had another kickoff return TD.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol sounds like that guy was hired to run a university like a business

e: ahahaha I looked it up and he was an IBM exec.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't get rankings. Last week, Northwestern was unranked in the AP and Coach's poll, but then during the game I saw everyone said they were ranked 21 by the Committee. So the Committee rankings, which don't get put out until week 9, all of a sudden supersede all of the the other polls and Northwestern was a "ranked team?"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is what happens when your team is never ranked after week 5.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Please tell me more about the alternate universe in which you live.

Yesterday was finally the point that the program hit rock bottom. The blogs are just over it. Alums are pulling support and just giving up. I don't know the the answer is because our AD got a promotion and raise for ruining the most visible revenue sport and locking up a lovely coach for years.

We will never buy Hazell out so we have probably at least 2 more years of making a national mockery of the sport while we take that pile of cash from BTN and put it to academics while the rest of the conference actually uses it for athletics.

Football is stupid. See you guys in 3-5 years. :negative:

wildcats, bitch

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

Ah, but look at the rest of the schedules!

If Michigan and Michigan State beat Ohio State, but Michigan and Michigan State lose to Penn State: four way tie for the Big Ten East. Good luck figuring out who goes to the championship with that web of head to head wins!

I think Penn State is first out because of a worse out of conference record, but after that?

The next tiebreaker is Losses to Northwestern.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It was not listed until recently, but somehow I divined that Northwestern-Purdue would be an 11am start.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

This is an Urban Meyer thing, Beckman was on his staff at BG. Our rival, Toledo, was only referred to as "that team up north". It's very dumb.

It is funny because it's northwestern.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

bama is going to win by like 2 TDs at least come on why do you guys keep doing this

It is a shame that people have just kinda gotten bored with Prescott though, he's been really good this year.

are they getting rid of those signs? because I want to hang one in my office

I want that clock.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Iowa was 9 last time and three teams ahead of them lost, so that explains a lot of it.

Also in their case there was some correction for underrating their schedule last time, and Wisconsin and Northwestern both won and moved into/up the rankings so that helped their resume. As it stands right now it's still a lot better than Baylors

Once again the college football world pivots around Northwestern.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol at the Stanford crybabies whining about being on Central Time, actually when you played it was Get Your rear end Beaten By Northwestern O'Clock, Anthony Walker, motherfuckers, gimmee that Hat, Cubit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Raku posted:

Why is every SEC poster a lawyer

i think being a southern lawyer is cool, you get to say thing like now i'm not a fancy big city lawyer here and then hook your thumbs into your suspenders

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what people do in Alabama and Mississippi do other than be lawyers. There is no industry, business, banking centers, ports whatever. So they're all just lawyers who sue Joe's Lumber Yard (or defend Joe's Lumber Yard) in a weird Litigious circle.

For whatever reason, Bama and Ole Miss have big money boosters, but how?

The legal suspender industry.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

Also I do legit wear suspenders most days

joe jamail account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

Even I, a man who delights in deliberate BBQ chat derails, think this conversation should probably be taken elsewhere, but I can't help myself. The reason that's in there is that the line of when someone is under arrest is very blurry and according to the Supreme Court, pre-arrest silence is admissible evidence while post-arrest silence is not. Hence the thing about "if I am not under arrest please let me go on my way, if I am under arrest I wish to remain silent."

I kind of hate to play this card, but I have a degree and a license for this. I have gotten people acquitted at trial and gotten charges dismissed. Playing that card means I must to say clearly that every case is different, laws vary from state to state and I intend this as a general sharing of information/opinion rather than specific legal advice. Do your own research or consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction. But pretty much every client I ever had who was arrested in connection with a traffic stop would've been better off handing over a written statement like that. The catch-all written statement is less than ideal but it may well be better than trying to navigate an unfolding situation as a layperson and loving it up. I admit that I have never personally utilized a written statement like this, so bear that in mind. I have, however, asserted some of the rights referenced and gone about my business rather than being subjected to questioning or a search that I was under no obligation to submit to. This is not crazy sovereign citizen poo poo, it is core, basic, fundamental rights poo poo.

Thermos's identity finally discovered

• Locked thread