Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
RED CUPS. can you loving believe this guys? starbucks just unveiled their 2015 holiday cup design and it's nothing but a goddamned red cup:

i hope you're as offended as i am. i'm mad. lots of other people are mad. you should be mad. clearly this means that Starbucks is leading a :siren: war on christmas :siren: because :argh: :argh: :argh:

this is pissing me off so much I might not ever buy another caramel macchiato from them again after monday or maybe tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

red and green are christmas colors tho?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the logo is green
the cup is red
to the OP i say
"it's good enough, dickhead"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
shots fired! shots fired!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

whats a good christian coffee chain i can go to instead

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

just give your name as santa

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Parallax Scroll posted:

Keurig K-Cups

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ps. jic you're wondering YES the war on christmas is all part of a greater conflict that is the war on christianity

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Java Jesus

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
so glad to be back exclusively on this brand of coffee that uses partially digested berries from the feces of rat monkeys for its strong aromatic brown notes

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Some people really get upset with the idea that people like themselves are slowly losing their iron grip on the majority and overreact to what they perceive as symbolic representations of this happening. Just like some people complain about lack of representation in pop culture/media, those who've always been well represented get scared when they perceive that to be going away. They're basically afraid of ending up in the situation others are presently fighting to get out of. I hope this clears up the whole 'war on christmas' thing people seem so confused about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Merry Christmas? more like Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair!

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Anti-Santa Propaganda is really starting to piss me the gently caress off

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oh Don Piano posted:

Anti-Santa Propaganda is really starting to piss me the gently caress off
heil santa

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think chik-fil-a has coffee.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They aren't... Red enough.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

red cups? coffee my rear end, more like commie

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
On Monday morning I stopped at my local Starbucks and got my coffee as well as my kids hot chocolate. We were given red cups and at that moment the world ended for my 5 year old. he has autism and small changes in his everyday routine can trigger him. I know you guys do this every year on November 1st but I hadn't thought about this! Clearly many other people are upset about these cups too so let's just #bantheredcups

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blue Train posted:

red cups? coffee my rear end, more like commie
joseph mccoffee

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Was at a Starbucks recently, and there was a line. So, I used the restroom.

Mr. Donuts must not be a thing anymore.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They aren't... Red enough.

Previous iterations of their holiday cup had more blatantly christmas imagery on them, the switch to plain red was intentionally meant to distance themselves from this. The people who previously enjoyed cultural validation of their christian identity through the product they consumed are now upset that this is no longer the case.

Like I don't really agree with their complaint as I'm not christian and it's a huge cooporation of course it's going to go for mass appeal, but it doesn't take a genius to see what their beef is and it's kinda boring to see people act like they don't understand what the war on christmas people are upset about.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
ho ho ho

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

Its called CHURCH you heathen.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Geoj posted:

I think chik-fil-a has coffee.

you can't call that stuff coffee. it's too godawful. like how do you gently caress up such a simple, timeless beverage so badly especially when the rest of your menu is pretty high quality all alround

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

ArbitraryC posted:

Previous iterations of their holiday cup had more blatantly christmas imagery on them, the switch to plain red was intentionally meant to distance themselves from this. The people who previously enjoyed cultural validation of their christian identity through the product they consumed are now upset that this is no longer the case.

Like I don't really agree with their complaint as I'm not christian and it's a huge cooporation of course it's going to go for mass appeal, but it doesn't take a genius to see what their beef is and it's kinda boring to see people act like they don't understand what the war on christmas people are upset about.

:goonsay:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
trust me, mocking the war on christmas idiots doesn't come from a place of misunderstanding their ermm.. cause? but thanks for all those :words: anyway good poster guy with no av

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to drop lumps of coal into their espresso machine or straight into customer's cups if I can't get to it

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Parallax Scroll posted:

AA

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

trust me, mocking the war on christmas idiots doesn't come from a place of misunderstanding their ermm.. cause? but thanks for all those :words: anyway good poster guy with no av

It's largely the same style of complaint minority groups have about representation though, it's all about how validation in pop culture/media can make it feel like your identity is normal and catered to. It's just that rather than asking for more representation (like you might see racial minorities or lgbt people do) they're just scared about being put in the same situation those groups are currently fighting to get out of. It's honestly a very understandable thing to be upset about as you can sorta see year by year how they're losing their cultural stranglehold on what is normal.

The counterargument imo isn't that they're just being weirdos but that in order for everyone to have that validation they're afraid of losing there's gotta be some give to the present monopoly they do have, it's mostly an issue of perspective. I think a lot more progress could be made if instead of trying to phrase it like "no you don't deserve/need that validation" we should emphasize that "other people want to have the same stuff you got to take for granted to this point, you're going to have to make some sacrifices to live in a more equal and welcoming society".

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

ArbitraryC posted:

Some people really get upset with the idea that people like themselves are slowly losing their iron grip on the majority and overreact to what they perceive as symbolic representations of this happening. Just like some people complain about lack of representation in pop culture/media, those who've always been well represented get scared when they perceive that to be going away. They're basically afraid of ending up in the situation others are presently fighting to get out of. I hope this clears up the whole 'war on christmas' thing people seem so confused about.

whoa

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I hope that Christmas is defeated and Halloween takes over the North Pole.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

It's largely the same style of complaint minority groups have about representation though, it's all about how validation in pop culture/media can make it feel like your identity is normal and catered to. It's just that rather than asking for more representation (like you might see racial minorities or lgbt people do) they're just scared about being put in the same situation those groups are currently fighting to get out of. It's honestly a very understandable thing to be upset about as you can sorta see year by year how they're losing their cultural stranglehold on what is normal.

The counterargument imo isn't that they're just being weirdos but that in order for everyone to have that validation they're afraid of losing there's gotta be some give to the present monopoly they do have, it's mostly an issue of perspective. I think a lot more progress could be made if instead of trying to phrase it like "no you don't deserve/need that validation" we should emphasize that "other people want to have the same stuff you got to take for granted to this point, you're going to have to make some sacrifices to live in a more equal and welcoming society".

:agreed:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

I hope that Christmas is defeated and Halloween takes over the North Pole.

abolish all holidays then execute any people who still attempt to participate in them

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what an attractive minimalist design i sure am thankful for the life and legacy of steven a jobs

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

abolish all holidays then execute any people who still attempt to participate in them

you're wrong there should be holidays every few days any excuse Any excuse

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
corporate CEOs aren't atheists when you have that many investors involved in your company you must make some discrete moves to honor all of the salient gods: 1.) Christianity. Say 25 Hail Mary prayers and then you can move on

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

"other people want to have the same stuff you got to take for granted to this point, you're going to have to make some sacrifices to live in a more equal and welcoming society".

in this specific circumstance you are talking about a religion which states that others must be converted or be damned, and followers are instructed to proselytize. accepting your proposal would be damning everyone else and that's unacceptable. I do agree with you tho

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the best way to fight a revolution is to pay them four dollars for an unhealthy twenty cent drink and then demand they write your name as "merry christmas" on the cup

the corporations never saw men this clever coming!!!
'
everybody RUSH TO STARBUCKS AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT BUY THIS STUFF AND DEMAND THEY CHANGE THE WORDS BACK

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
i'm asking the citizens of gbs to help me wage #waronchristmas

i heard the pagans used to gently caress and smoke heroin on christmas and now we're loving making GBS threads ourselves giving out costco socks and playstation network cards. whens the last time we beheaded a steer at the town square to appease boreas the bringer of northern wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

momerath posted:

i heard the pagans used to gently caress and smoke heroin on christmas

this is still a christmas tradition in my family is it not anyone else's?

• Locked thread