Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
momerath
Nov 15, 2014

thathonkey posted:

this is still a christmas tradition in my family is it not anyone else's?

please don't joke about this. last year i got a gift from thinkgeek.com that made me wanna kill myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

whats a good christian coffee chain i can go to instead

Culver's

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sorry for :words:ing up your thread I just saw my facebook feed buzzing about this with all the nuance of a brick through your window and it seemed like a good example of something where everyone actually agreed on the core issue it was just so politicized that both sides were talking past each other.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Good, gently caress Christmas, my birthday is around there, let's all celebrate my birthday

I demand you get drunk and watch Die Hard. I am a just and fair ruler.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

red and green are christmas colors tho?

Purple is the color of our lord and savior, the king of kings. Red, white, and green are the colors on the Iranian flag. What side are you on?

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
They said the war would be over by Christmas and now there's a war on Christmas.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
and now i've heard they're authorizing drone strikes on the north pole

so this is what the NORAD santa tracker has been about all the while... they're gonna laser-target the gently caress out of the big man and take him out once and for all with a tactical nuke holy loving poo poo goons :tinfoil:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I loving love Christmas and I like the smell of coffee and Christmas but yeah gently caress these cups I guess!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

Purple is the color of our lord and savior, the king of kings. Red, white, and green are the colors on the Iranian flag. What side are you on?

I stand with israel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All hail Sol Invictus the true reason for the season.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I get the salted caramel thing when I want to treat myself

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Can't wait until we finally kill Christmas and end this horrible war. Bring our troops home.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Why did I doubt that this was a real thing that people are getting mad about?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

MURDER ALL RED CUPS

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
People really are losing their poo poo on Facebook and Twitter over this lmao

Here's the thing though:

Do any of the old cups have something related to Christ on there? I don't get it? This was fine when it was a bunch of crudely drawn ice skates, but now it's a "war on Christians"?? :confused:

Snowflakes and ice skates are Christian imagery lmao

naem
May 29, 2011

momerath posted:

i'm asking the citizens of gbs to help me wage #waronchristmas

i heard the pagans used to gently caress and smoke heroin on christmas and now we're loving making GBS threads ourselves giving out costco socks and playstation network cards. whens the last time we beheaded a steer at the town square to appease boreas the bringer of northern wind

Decorating with red and green, especially evergreen trees and holly, was a Norse pagan thing to ward off demons who come in out of the snow and climb down the chimney, somehow it's attached to Christmas now

Also I'm pretty sure Santa Claus is Odin just FYI

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

are real people somewhere actually mad about this

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
^^Yep. Apparently a lot of people don't have enough real problems.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i thought the cups were always red

like i did 4 years in one of these in college and i thought the cups were always red and no one ever cared before

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Melmac posted:

People really are losing their poo poo on Facebook and Twitter over this lmao

Here's the thing though:

If you look at the date, that was from last years design.

The real reason they removed the snowflakes from the cups is that most people don't know what they look like anymore due to global warming.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Starbucks is a zionist jew cabal

MERRY CHRISTMAS you sneaky kikes.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gently caress this and gently caress OP and everyone else who cares about this enough to mention it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Russia needs to up and invade us already so we actually have something other than cartoons and paper cups to worry about.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

Russia needs to up and invade us already so we actually have something other than cartoons and paper cups to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJDujswDGg

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

ArbitraryC posted:

Previous iterations of their holiday cup had more blatantly christmas imagery on them, the switch to plain red was intentionally meant to distance themselves from this. The people who previously enjoyed cultural validation of their christian identity through the product they consumed are now upset that this is no longer the case.

Like I don't really agree with their complaint as I'm not christian and it's a huge cooporation of course it's going to go for mass appeal, but it doesn't take a genius to see what their beef is and it's kinda boring to see people act like they don't understand what the war on christmas people are upset about.

Or it could be plain red to save money on the printing costs.

Also they're raising the prices of the frappucinos and iced coffees by like, 30 cents so this is a great distraction.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Apparently there's a campaign going around where people are using "MERRY CHRISTMAS" as a name to put on the cup. How well is that going to work out, honestly?

"Can I get a name for your cup?"
"Yeah, it's MERRY CHRISTMAS."

*Order is called*

*Cup reads "Mary Crispin"*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

are real people somewhere actually mad about this

White people in North America get super upset at the stupidest poo poo because it's easier than getting upset about the harder-to-understand-but-very-significant problems in our society

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

I want dead Jesus on my cup!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

Apparently there's a campaign going around where people are using "MERRY CHRISTMAS" as a name to put on the cup. How well is that going to work out, honestly?

"Can I get a name for your cup?"
"Yeah, it's MERRY CHRISTMAS."

*Order is called*

*Cup reads "Mary Crispin"*

Barista yells out for MARY, LATTE GRANDE FOR MARY

Dumb angry White Christian guy name Jared goes up and takes it, line up of other dumb white people starts clapping because of his trans-bravery

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why would you drink coffee at an Starbucks

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Anyone get a limited holiday coffee yet??

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
The whole point of solo cups is they're a cheap way to enjoy a beer from a keg. not faggy coffee

starbucks is abominable.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I want to live the lifes of these people and not have any serious problems except the design of paper cups from chain brand coffee stores

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Parallax Scroll posted:

whats a good christian coffee chain i can go to instead

There was a Christian-themed coffee place I used to pass when I lived in New Jersey. It was called Holy Grounds. :downs:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I demand the loving Eucharist with my goddaamn Christmas coffee!

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

why's it got a ufo on it?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

ArbitraryC posted:

It's largely the same style of complaint minority groups have about representation though, it's all about how validation in pop culture/media can make it feel like your identity is normal and catered to. It's just that rather than asking for more representation (like you might see racial minorities or lgbt people do) they're just scared about being put in the same situation those groups are currently fighting to get out of. It's honestly a very understandable thing to be upset about as you can sorta see year by year how they're losing their cultural stranglehold on what is normal.

The counterargument imo isn't that they're just being weirdos but that in order for everyone to have that validation they're afraid of losing there's gotta be some give to the present monopoly they do have, it's mostly an issue of perspective. I think a lot more progress could be made if instead of trying to phrase it like "no you don't deserve/need that validation" we should emphasize that "other people want to have the same stuff you got to take for granted to this point, you're going to have to make some sacrifices to live in a more equal and welcoming society".

what a fag

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The more middle aged whiteys that feel uncomfortable the better. I'm loving this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress christmas and gently caress anyone that says christmas. it's yule, you loving man-worshiping infidels. remember the reason for the season. :argh:

• Locked thread