Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Holy poo poo, it's time for Trad Games Secret Santa again! Sweet!

TGSS is finished for 2015!
You can still read the thread, and see how it went, though! Maybe you'd like to participate next year? Feel free to fill out this survey even if you didn't participate this year.

In accordance with longstanding Trad Games tradition, every December the boardgame, tabletop wargame, roleplaying game, and I guess maybe the poker and mafia goons set aside their differences and come together to anonymously mail presents to one another. It's fun! As usual, I am volunteering to organize this clusterfuck, mostly because it lets me exercise petty authority within a highly restricted domain in which I am comfortable, exactly in the same way as a clerk at the DMV enjoys their brief moments of tyranny over the helpless victims of car-related bureaucracy.
Basically what that means is I make up the rules and you all obey them. I like to make up rules so here are a whole bunch of them, organized using a fake conversational style where I pretend you asked me dumb questions and I give long-winded answers:

What's Trad Games Secret Santa?
It's an anonymized gift exchange for the goons who hang out in the Trad Games subforum. Everyone who wants to participate puts their name in a figurative hat. Then in late November, everyone gets assigned someone else from the hat to send a present to. The person getting the present doesn't know who will send them one, so it's Secret. So, you give a gift to a stranger and in turn a different stranger gives you a gift! Everyone benefits, especially international shipping companies!

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome! I want to do it!
That's not a question but anyway, not so fast. Read the entirety of this post very carefully. If it seems like you read it before in previous years, please skim it again in case something has changed. If you have problems with reading comprehension maybe read it twice or have an adult read it to you. There's a bunch of rules and you have to obey them and follow instructions. The process is designed to maintain anonymity, reduce the likelihood that anyone gets Grinched, and streamline the organizational nightmare for me

So I am going to buy something for someone?
Yes. You have to get a gift for a Trad Games goon. Ideally your gift should be picked out specifically for the goon you're assigned. Since this is the Trad Games forum, we're generally focused on games-related stuff, but you kind of have free reign so it doesn't necessarily have to be a game gift... but it probably should, unless you're sure your non-game gift will delight your target Santee.

You better understand perfectly clearly that signing up for this is a financial obligation. It is not okay to sign up and then disappear, because someone will send you a present, and then whoever your assignment is, gets grinched. They paid money and gave a present and didn't get anything in the mail. It is the saddest thing. Please take a moment to think seriously about this before you just mash the Reply button.

As usual, I'm gonna participate and that means I have to assign myself to someone and will know who that is, because it'd be too hard to try and keep it secret from myself. It sucks that I don't get to be surprised, but I still won't know what my present is, so that's good enough.

How much is this going to cost me?
US$30 (or its approximate equivalent in Foreign Money), plus shipping. You don't deduct shipping from the gift dollar guideline amount because it's not your Santee's fault he lives in Kiribati and he shouldn't have to have a worse gift just because you're 8000 miles away. You can save money on shipping in several ways: keep reading.

What if I live in an Exotic Foreign Land like Madagascar, the Cook Islands, or Dorsetshire?
That's OK. I will try to match up people to take postage costs into account. There is likely to be an imbalance somewhere, so if you are willing to cover the extra cost of international shipping, then you
are an extra specially wonderful goon who deserves to feel extra full of warm fuzzy feelings this Holiday Festive Season. If you do get matched up with a Foreign Goon, remember that you can often order directly from an online retailer in their country, and thereby avoid excess shipping costs.

I can't afford $30 plus shipping!
If $30 plus shipping is genuinely a hardship for you, you might be too poor to be buying presents for strangers on the internet. But, maybe you could make a home-made gift? Or perhaps you have something in your game closet (in good condition) that is worth (in its current state) about $30? If it would suit your Santee, it's fine to send something you already own rather than buying a new thing. Just remember that the goal is to delight your Santee with your largesse, not disappoint your Santee with your stinginess. And the value needs to be its real value if you sold it on like ebay or something, not it's estimated value based on your nostalgia.

International shipping is too expensive! I want to participate but I can only ship domestically.
That's probably fine. Follow the procedure outlined below and I will do my best to make sure you don't have to ship internationally. Based on past years, if you live in the continental US, I can definitely do this; if you are in Canada, the UK, or Australia I can probably do this; and if you are in any other country, it's unlikely I can do this. I can still try to match you to someone in your region: for example, I can match a eurogoon to another eurogoon.

I'm scared!
Don't worry. If you are worried, you can mention it in your post or in your e-mail to me. I will match you with a Reputable Goon and tell them not to send you a dong. So far the track record has been pretty good, and as far as I know, we've had zero incidents of stalking. The great majority of goons were happy they took part, and most have been coming back in subsequent years.

OK When do we send things?
Some time on Sunday, November 22nd, (which is the weekend before Thanksgiving in the US) I will make assignments and email them out. You will then have until Christmas Eve: Thursday, December 24th to get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee. It will be up to you to decide if you want to get your gift sent on time using a cheap shipping option, or wait and then get your gift sent on time using an expensive shipping option.

TGSS is CLOSED for 2015, sorry!

What if I forget?
Don't forget. Bookmark this thread. Something Awful provides a fancy bookmarking feature just for you! You should use it. Click on your Control Panel link to see your bookmarked threads. Maybe also set up an alarm clock in your calendar app or something? I will send out email-based reminders in mid-to-late December to people who are worrying me with their absence but you should not rely on that. If you are the kind of person who gets excited about things and then blows them off and forgets about them the next day, then this gig is not for you. Don't sign up. It sucks when someone spends money and sends out a gift and then gets nothing in exchange. The Solstice Holidays are supposed to be a time of good cheer and fun, not disappointment and rejection! Theoretically.

You can of course make things easier on yourself by just buying something and shipping it immediately after you get your assignment. Online retailers have spent millions of dollars carefully refining their Web-based interfaces to make this easier for you. There are always a good number of goons who get their assigned Santee and have a gift purchased and mailed within a day or two; you could be one of them! Also I have timed it so you will get your assignment just in time to take advantage of the “cyber monday” online sales. Online retailers like Amazon offer all kinds of great discounts during that week, so you can take advantage and get your gift mailed automatically directly to your Santee and have nothing to stress or worry about all December.

What if I don't get a present because my Secret Santa is an rear end in a top hat?
This is called “being Grinched.” If you get Grinched, like an old-west Sheriff I will round up a posse of de-Grinchers and together we will cover for the rear end in a top hat out of the goodness of our hearts. You will get a present no matter what, and the name of the jerk who Grinched you will be forever carved into the grim black stone of the Something Awful Permanent Shitlist of Shame, which looms mountainlike above these proceedings, an ominous reminder of past failures and irredeemable regret.

Well OK, not totally irredeemable. A previous Shitlist Member redeemed himself in an admirable way, and is fully eligible to take part once more. But still, seriously don't get yourself on the SAPSoS.

Wait! It's already Thanksgiving Week 2015 that I am just now reading this! Does that mean I can't participate?
You are in luck! This year we will again experience the shatteringly-exciting and frantic giftscramble known as the LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS! Beginning November 22nd, and continuing until December 17th, we will have a series of extra bonus rounds and YOU can participate. It works like this: you use exactly the same process outlined below to sign up. I collect names until either I have at least 8, or, a whole week has passed AND I have at least 3, whichever comes first. So each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND will have from three to eight goons. Then I do a mini-gift-round assignment. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! And the instant one LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND ends, the next one begins. Of course, as we close in on the Big Day, you will have less and less time in which to accomplish purchase, shipping, and delivery. You'll have to pick an appropriate delivery option and be certain whatever you're buying is either in your hands, or definitely in stock at the retailer of your choice. This could cost more than you're expecting especially during the last week before Christmas. Also, since the pool of participants will be very small, the odds that multiple goons will have to ship internationally go up. Some goons like to participate in the main round as well as multiple bonus rounds! They are the best goons!

TGSS Bonus Rounds are finished for 2015, sorry!

I'm rich and/or greedy. Can I send two gifts?
gently caress yes you can! Just let me know in your email (step 2) how many gifts you want to send and receive, and I'll make it happen. Each gift still has to meet all the standard requirements.

Tell me about that poo poo list of yours. Who is on it?

The General. It's been six years now but he managed to Grinch goons two years in a row. His only excuse was that basically he was too lazy to go buy a thing and mail it. He is not allowed to participate in TGSS.
Arrgytehpirate. In 2011, this guy never managed to follow instructions, insisting on using PMs instead of emails. I let that slide but then he too forever to respond. Finally he sent me a photo of a package he was supposedly sending out but it never arrived. Weeks later he supposedly got it returned in the mail but his santee, who had also participated in a lightning round, had received a gift from his other santa so the address was definitely fine. Arrgytehpirate was the epitome of disinterested and disconnected half-assedness. For doing a little less than the bare minimum he was disallowed from participating in 2012. In subsequent years, he's invited to participate, but in a probationary way where I will cut his poo poo off if I'm not impressed by his reformation into a responsive person who can follow instructions.

NutritiousSnack. NutritiousSnack doubled down on TGSS in 2013. His main round Santee finally got his gift on January 13th, and his Bonus Round santee finally got his gift on February 2nd. One major shipping snafu might be an honest mistake; two is a pattern. NutritiousSnack was also difficult to get ahold of, with days or weeks going by between responses. Being multiple months late with your gifts is bad, and being slack about communicating when your stuff has gone missing is worse. NutritiousSnack was on probation last year, but he can participate this year if he wants. Demonstrating reform could get him off this list!

Let us all welcome Flaggy and NovaLion back into the fold. They both screwed up, but have proven themselves subsequently through acts of charity and contrition. See? Redemption is possible!

I came here from the Oath Thread or the Painting Thread or the Warhammer Thread or Whatever and I only want Miniatures stuff!
OK sure, whatever. Just put your requests in your post when you sign up. We Trad Games goons are pretty good at figuring out the difference between a Necron and a Trollblood. If you want desert-themed terrain or some P3 paints or whatever, just be specific! There's no 100% guarantee, but really that's just like Christmas at home, isn't it? The worst case scenario is you get some other $30 Thing. That's not such a big deal.

What about Mafia?
I don't know what the gently caress about Mafia, to be honest. You people are weirdos. You're still welcome to participate, though!

What if I never post in Trad Games?
:getoutfrog:

No, actually, you're welcome too. If you have an SA account in good standing that existed before I posted this post, you're eligible. Welcome to the club! Probably you'll get something TG related, though. Or a dong.

If you have a brand new SA account registered after this post was posted, then I'm worried about you. Let's have a chat and figure out if you're trustworthy. Send me an email before signing up.

OK enough already, now tell me how to do it!
That's also not phrased as a question, but that's OK it's the holidays we can be charitable. Here is what you need to do.

:frogsiren:HOW TO PARTICIPATE:frogsiren:
These are step-by-step instructions. Just do all of them, in order.

1. Announce your intention to participate in this here thread. Put the following information in BOLD so it's easy to see:
Your Gift Preferences. This means describe things and categories of things you'd love to receive. This is mandatory. You can be specific but it's better to be general. E.g., “I'd love a blueray movie” or “I need tabletop wargaming scenery” or “I'd like the hardback Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook.” You can also specify things you don't want, like “I have enough dice thanks” or “I hate animes” or “Do not give money to Games Workshop” or whatever. The more help you give your Secret Santa, the higher the likelihood you will get something that you will actually like; the more specific you are, the less likely that you will get something that is a surprise. If you just put “I'd love anything at all,” be prepared to receive anything, up to and including Dongs. But more likely, you might something you already own, especially if you chat about it in TG.
Your General Location. You'll be telling me your address via e-mail anyway, but goons like to know where in the world all the other goons are. It's funner that way. You can say things like “Chicago” or “Wisconsin” or “Australia”, however specific or general you feel like being.
Your Solemn Vow that you will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when you get your present and tell us all what you got and who sent it to you.

If someone gets grinched this year I'll just ask for volunteers at that point. No need to volunteer yet: some years, nobody gets grinched at all!

2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com containing the following information:
“Secret Santa Sign Up” or similar in the subject line so I can be sure you're not a computer program trying to sell penis pills.
Your REAL NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. This is important because someone is going to mail things to you and they need to know how. If someone mails a thing to this name and address and you don't get it because you moved or it's not a real address or the postal carrier refused to deliver a package addressed to “CockDragon1986” or something, that's your fault and you will have self-Grinched which is the most embarrassing thing ever.
Your Something Awful login name. It does me no good at all if wangmaster2000@buttplugs.com e-mails me to say that John Smith lives at 666 Satan Lane in Minneapolis, MN. I need to match your e-mail to a Goonish Identity.
Your willingness or unwillingness to ship internationally. Please be specific if you have restrictions. For example, if you're only willing to ship within North America, please say so. Remember, shipping costs are in addition to the $30 gift guideline. And shipping from the US to any international destination is loving expensive holy poo poo. But! You could avoid some shipping costs for an international Santee by ordering directly from an online retailer in the target country.
Anything else. Special information might include a list of your mortal enemies which I had better not match you with, a date after which you will be at a different address, your allergy to cheese, or whatever. I promise not to match you (as Santa or Santee) with anyone you don't want to be matched with, and I will pass along any messages to your Santa or Santee that you need passed along.

3. Check for a confirmation email from tgsecretsanta@gmail.com
Everyone who signs up will get a confirmation email within a short amount of time (usually within a day or two). If you don't get one, check your spam filters and then PM me, send another e-mail, or post in the thread and I'll troubleshoot the issue. Your confirmation email is sent at the same time that I put you on the Official Spreadsheet of Cheer, so it's important.

4. Wait until Sunday, November 22nd and then check your inbox. That is the day I will close registration for the main round, and assign names using a secret, magical formula involving eldrich dice anointed with human lard, foreign-language tarot cards, and an online random number generator programmed by an insane Romanian who later disappeared under suspicious circumstances. It's also the beginning of a holiday week for most goons in the US, and also various holiday promotions have usually gotten going by then so maybe you can get an online discount. I will post in the thread as I get these assignments out.

You must keep your Santee's personal information secret and private. Don't post or forward or copy their real name, other fake name(s), address, or email address in the thread or anywhere else. Probably you should also delete it from your email repository after you've sent your gift so that it doesn't get out there if you're hacked or something. Don't try to go visit your Santee, that's creepy. This is important. Respect your Santee's privacy.

5. Check the thread, find your Santee's first post, and read up on his or her greedy demands. And then buy them a present and mail it. The Officially Recommended Spending Amount is US$30. It is OK to spend a bit more than that if you feel generous. It is OK to spend slightly less than that if you have the perfect thing which costs $28.95, or whatever. But it is not OK to Grinch your Santee by sending them a used paperback book and $8 of baseball cards. The only truly universal gifts are love and money. For everything else, it's best to at least try to determine whether your amazing gift idea would actually be delightful to your Santee. Many people like to leave their options wide open and you can feel free to send whatever you like to them. Others have a more focused domain of Trad Gaming they enjoy, and it's best to try and fit your present into that domain if you can.

Also, we may have Santees under the legal age for drinking, or who don't drink, so you must check with me before sending alcoholic beverages to your Santee. Some people have food allergies, too. Don't send food without checking.

Sometimes you have a thing that you already own that you want to send, that's OK too, just try and figure out what that thing would be worth, roughly (in its present used condition of course), and make sure your giftee is delighted by your largesse instead of saddened by your cheapness. That last bit is really the critical part here.

Regarding handmade gifts:
A lot of us really enjoy the personal touch of a handmade gift, so this might be a great idea. But there are hazards. If you haven't already made your gift, be sure you'll have plenty of time. The estimate of value of the thing you made isn't “what I'd probably sell it for if I sold this,” it's “what my giftee would probably pay for it if they bought it from anyone else.” For example, it takes a huge amount of time to knit a pair of socks; but socks are still only worth a couple dollars to most people. If your giftee asked for a Dice Pouch, it's likely they're thinking of a typical dice pouch which usually costs like ten bucks. So if you make one yourself, maybe you better fill it with some cool dice as well? Use your best judgment and run your plans past me if you have any doubt.

Regarding ebooks and Print-On-Demand services. PDFs and eBook versions of gaming products are very hit-or-miss, and so are POD services. Some of us love them, some of us hate them. I'd like you to please be certain that your giftee loves them before you send one. Check their post and if they don't mention it, contact me and I can confirm with them whether an ebook or printed-on-demand book is a wonderful or horrible thing.

If you get stuck on gift ideas, send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I will help you out. I can ask your Santee questions while preserving the veneer of anonymity, and I also am full of great ideas for the difficult-to-shop-for.

6. Send a gift to your Santee in a timely manner
Every shipping company is heavily impacted by the holiday shopping season. Volumes rise every day as you get closer to the 25th. The sooner you get something shipped, the less likely it is to be delayed. Online retailers may also run out of stock. If you procrastinate and delay, you are still on the hook for on-time delivery, and that may mean having to select a more expensive shipping option. It's OK to take a few days or even a couple weeks if you need it to get your awesome present together, but keep your eye on the calendar and don't screw yourself over by waiting too long! I mean it. EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL I have a handful of goons who wait till a week before xmas and then complain about the cost, or – worse – simply decide they can't afford expedited shipping and their Santee doesn't get their gift until after Christmas Eve. That is not OK. If you can't afford like $40 or maybe a lot more for shipping, don't wait till five days before xmas to mail a gift!

If you purchase a gift online, please confirm with the retailer that the item is actually in stock. Check and make sure it's shipped. Get a tracking number and check it every day. You can send me your tracking number if you want, but it's up to you to monitor it and see that your gift got delivered. I can't monitor 100 tracking numbers. Let me know right away if there's a problem or delay.

If a gift receipt is an option, please get one. I know it's not always available, but it's best to make sure that if your Santee already has one of what you got him or her, he can return the new thing and/or exchange it for something else that is great. This isn't a rule, just a preference.

POST INDICATING YOUR PRESENT HAS BEEN MAILED BY NO LATER THAN Monday, DECEMBER 23rd 2015. (If you're actually shipping on Monday the 23rd, you'll have to buy next-day airmail which is gonna cost you like a hundred bucks or something.) If you have some pathetic excuse like “I am trapped in a blizzard” or “my house burned down and I can't afford a stamp” or “the vendor promised to mail it but I have discovered they were filthy liars,” that's OK, come post about it in the thread or send me an e-mail or ask your Red Cross coordinator at the disaster relief shelter to send me an e-mail. In this modern world there are very few legit excuses for being unable to communicate for several weeks.

If your only excuse is “I am lazy and didn't get around to it” then you are an rear end in a top hat who should never have signed up. Being deployed is also not an acceptable excuse.

7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift
You can open it right away or you can wait till your preferred Official Holiday Date and open it then. Regardless, you need to post in the thread as soon as your gift has arrived. This way your anxious Santa knows you got your present, and I can register that they have fulfilled their duty by putting a symbol into a box on a spreadsheet, which I loving love doing, you don't even know. Please don't blow this off. Every year a few people dutifully send their gifts, and then disappear from the thread, and we are left with no easy way to confirm that they also received what they were supposed to. That's not being a Grinch, but it is a source of anxiety for your Santa and for me and that's not very nice.

8. Post what you got!
Whenever you get around to opening your gift, please let us know what you got. Photos are the best but even if you don't have a camera (and seriously who doesn't have a camera these days?) at least describe what you got. You should also say thank you and describe your joy. Half the fun of giving a gift is experiencing your Santee's pleasure.

9. If you got a lovely gift, or didn't get a gift, send me an email immediately.
Email me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com if you get something lousy. That doesn't just mean you got a nice approximately $30 thing that you don't especially love: unless you specifically said “I hate anime” you can't really complain that you got some animes. But, you do need to let me know if your Santa has not lived up to the spirit and intent of the rules, OR – and this has actually happened – if your Santa was victimized by a shady retailer who has ripped both you and your Santa off.

10. Please stick around in the thread until a week or two into January, or until I close the thread, whichever comes first
There are always last-minute hiccups and if someone gets Grinched, I'll be asking for volunteer de-grinchers. This is likely to happen in January, if it happens. Even if you don't want to be a de-Grincher, you can still participate in the tarring and feathering, and that's not something to miss out on. Plus people sometimes get stuff a little late, like when they go back home from their holiday travel or whatever, and it sucks when they have nobody to share their fun with when they open their gift.

In 2011 I had people sign up for de-grinching in advance, but that turned out to be at least 50% of everyone and we only needed 1. In 2012, a goon and I bonus-gifted someone whose gift got destroyed in shipping (nobody's fault, but it wasn't replacable). In 2013, we de-grinched someone whose gift wound up arriving super super late and the Santa was out of contact. In 2014, there were zero grinches! Basically I don't want to keep track of 60+ de-Grinchers in advance, so we just play it loose and it will work out.

TGSS Mailing List
Would you like to receive a reminder of TG Secret Santa next year? Send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and ask to be added to the official TGSS Mailing List. I will use this list to send out a heads-up each year when I post the new TGSS thread. I won't sell or share the list with anyone, and I will use BCC: so you won't be sharing your email address with the other goons on the list, either. Of course you can also remove yourself from the list at any time, just send me a request and I'll take you off.

Disclaimers
This is the fine print. Nobody told me to put it here, but I'm anal about these kinds of things.

Participation in this event is voluntary. I am not affiliated or associated with Something Awful LLC, Rich “Lowtax” Kyanka, or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, associates, officers, enlisted men, peasants, or holdings. This event is in no way endorsed or supported by any of the above. If you get ripped off by another goon, neither Something Awful, nor I, can promise you relief. Nobody's insurance is covering this. Any supportive or punitive action taken by Something Awful or its moderators or administrators, including stickying threads and punishing bad goons, is purely voluntary and ad-hoc and is not a promise or representation that Something Awful is actually responsible or required to take such action, nor a promise or representation that it will act in a similar manner in the future, present, or past.

I promise to take reasonable and prudent steps to keep your personal information confidential. It is secured by the use of a reasonably obscure password on the tgsecretsanta@gmail.com gmail account. I also copy some of your personal information, including your real name and email address, to my Spreadsheet of Cheer which is stored on a reasonably secure computer behind a firewall. However, participation requires that I send your personal information to another goon, and I cannot directly promise that that goon will do the right thing and keep your info private. Obviously anyone who shares your private info is an rear end in a top hat and if I find out he or she did that and can confirm it then he goes right on the poo poo list immediately and forever, and I will also tell on them. But you must not hold me or Something Awful or any of it's affiliates, sponsors, indentured servants, etc. etc. financially, legally, or morally responsible if that happens. It'll be between you and the rear end in a top hat, basically.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This post reserved for future use

e. Last year we had exactly 100 gifts exchanged. I think we can do more this year, don't you?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 8, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Your Gift Preferences. I'm okay with most anything but I do have food allergies (shellfish and shrimp). So, if you plan on sending me shrimp and shellfish, I will give it to my family in my stead. Otherwise, go hog wild - I like all sorts of stuff and I'm an anime watcher. If you want more targeted recommendations, then ask Santa - he knows me well enough!

Unlike these prudes elsewhere in the thread I am game for anything you want to throw at me NSFW or otherwise. Whether or not I'll do something vulgar with it is another question entirely, but do your worst (or best)! Maybe don't send me a picture of your special flesh colored Crown Royal dice bag or your 'used' Book of Erotic Fantasy. That's gross.

Your General Location. I am in the land of high rent and tech scum known as the San Francisco Bay Area! I plan on moving to Austin, TX though sometime in the future after Christmas.

I hereby pledge that I won't be a piece of poo poo regarding gifts for this year's event. Not that I was a piece of poo poo any of the other years since we got this started back in the tyranny of Winson Paine, but I hold to my word that I will pony up the goods!

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 10, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dear Santa, My name is Leperflesh and I have been a good OK boy.

Gift Preferences: I like tabletop miniatures wargames. I used to play games made by Games Workshop, but no more: now I want to play Kings of War. I have thousands of points of desert egypt skeleton dudes, so I don't need more of those. But I could use 28mm scenery, Kings of War play aids, and I hear there's a new army book called Uncharted Empires on preorder that has the rules for my army!

I also like board games. I have a lot: see my collection mostly correctly catalogued here, although I should add Kemet because I got it recently.

I also like video games (here I am on Steam): I'm excited about those new Warhammmer: Total War games coming soon, or perhaps Vermintide?

I do not like anime. I like food, alcohol, books, toys, cats, frogs, cars, football, music, and good things. I have a Kindle Fire. I like science fiction and fantasy novels, but I also read a lot of nonfiction: my favorite author is Stephen Jay Gould, but I already have most of his books. I sometimes read history: I finished a history of byzantium last year, and before that I read a history of ancient persia. Right now I'm working on Rubicon by Tom Holland.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and HBO Go, so if you get me a movie that I can already watch on one of those for free, that would be a bit of a waste!

I like surprises. You could surprise me!

Solemn Vow: I promise I will not grinch my Secret Santee, or may scrunts infest my garage.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 8, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hello Santa, my name is Plage of HatThat Old Tree.

Gift Preferences: I'm going to be really difficult this year and say I'm mostly cool with just whatever. Nothing's burning a hole in my brain. I am a fan of RPGs, old and new; PDF or PoD is fine by me. I have enough dice. I'm not into minis or painting. I don't drink or smoke. I have cats. If you want to get me a movie, please only send ones that are really really good, or super terrible.

Please do not give money to Games Workshop, Zak, Pundit, Raggi, Skarka, Desborough, Varg, or anyone similar. (But still give me a present! :v:)

General Location: Kansas, USA.

Vow, Solemn: I swear on every thetan in my body I will not give in to my SP Grinch engrams.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 22, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dear Santa, I'm Humbug and I have been :mediocre:

Gift Preferences:I are a grognardy RPG guy. Out of Print and Obscure are the best. PDF or Hardcopy are fine. Partial Inventory of what I have here... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JV2m0U1Xibvba-_DYAup_EA4Pn9D5yoYZmh9ZepwCFU/edit?usp=sharing

I do not like dongs, food, alcohol, or fancy pants narrativist games.

Solemn Vow: I promise I will not grinch my Secret Santee, or I will be forced to play in a storygame.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 8, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Hello, I'm GTR and I'm back for a third year!

Gift Preferences: I'm hoping to get back into painting miniatures now that I've got a nice stable job and plenty of free time. There's three types of things I'm interested in this year:

1) If my Santa is knowledgable about minis, I'd love to get some modeling supplies. I'd like to pin Malifaux minis to resin bases, perhaps you know of the perfect pinning kit/tools? Some nice tools or brushes? I am just getting started again after a long break, and currently have almost nothing! I have been informed it may be difficult to ship any sort of liquids at all to me, including paint.

2) My current interest is Malifaux 2E plastic miniatures. Here are some sets that would go well with what I have:
Guild (Austringers, Lone Marshal, Riflemen, Pathfinder)

3) Every year for TGSS I've asked for STAR WARS stuff. I'm interested in Imperial Assault, and would love to get some of the Ally/Villain Expansion Packs for it. I only have the core set, so if you're super generous Twin Shadows would also be cool, but any of the Allies or Villains would be appreciated!

Please do not send: Anime. Kindly look below at my location. Also :siren:do not give GW money:siren:.

General Location: :shibe::japan::shibe:

Solemn Vow: I swear I will not be a grinch.

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 30, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This is EclecticTastes, back for a third year.

Gift Preferences: Much as I love RPGs, I own pretty much all the ones I can think of wanting, but I'm happy to jot down an exhaustive list of what I own on request, in case someone has a great idea (if you enjoy it and I don't own it, it's a great idea). Not really into minis or warhams. I have lots of dice, but I don't have a swanky dice bag for them to all hang out in. For card games, I've been picking up some M:tG structure decks for fun, I'm mostly into white and white-red. I've picked up most of the relevant decks from the Tarkir block's year (including Duel and Event Decks), and I went and snagged everything Boros from Return to Ravnica, but that's all I got, I haven't picked up anything from the current block (unless Elspeth vs. Kiora counts, because I got that one). Handmade stuff is always cool. I'd prefer not to get anything digital or consumable, sorry. For board games, I don't have nearly as many as RPGs, I can provide a list of those if needed, as well, but most board games are well outside the TGSS price range anyway so moot point. Sorry if I sound difficult here, I just want to give the best information without just telling people what to get me, really, as long as it's something I'd want to use and it's not something I already have, anything tradgames-y is great because really my favorite part is being surprised by my cool gift.

General Location: Arizona (under protest)

Solemn Vow: I hereby swear to cram as much holiday cheer and giving spirit into thirty-something bucks plus shipping that I can possibly manage, and if at all possible, I will make it something unexpected and interesting on top of being a thing you'd want. I have hopefully accomplished this twice already, so I'm looking for a hat trick. Should I, God forbid, Grinch my Santee, may my car keys be lost forever within the Byzantine recesses of the RIFTS chargen system.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 8, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'll go ahead and join the santaing this year, now that I've mostly paid my debts to the Hutts. Maybe even catch up with the ghost of christmas past by double gifting, once I math out some budget stuff!

Gift preferences: I like a lot of stuff!
- I play board games, up to and including wargames. I generally prefer medium-to-high complexity games, but since they tend to be outside of SS' price range anyway I think what I really want to say is that very light, low-interaction eurogames kinda bore me, as compared to something like a small bluffing game or something.
- I also play RPGs and don't mind pdfs and poo poo. I'm kind of burnt out on high-crunch systems.
- I also have a PC and a Steam account where I play mainly strategy and role-playing games.
- I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with pre-Stalin Soviet Union. Also submarines (primarily u-boots, but I'm not picky).
- I like cooking, so I wouldn't mind trying out some local special or an exotic ingredient. Though maybe not a dong.

Stuff that's not a dealbreaker, but I need some reason to care about it:
- Anime
- Zombies
- Hobby aspect of minis (gluing, painting, spending million bucks)
- Vodka (I'll gladly drink anything else, but if you wish to go that way, I'm kind of perpetually overstocked on hard liquors)
- D&D
- I generally don't smoke
- Movies (I am usually either disinterested or have already seen it and I know I might be difficult to please in that regard)

Clothes-wise, I'm S. Feel free to gamble on XS if your country has a tendency to tweak the scale for big/fat people (like German pants, holy poo poo).

General location: :poland:

Solemn Vow: by the power of Greyskull, may my gifts be awesome and delivered on time.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 16, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I too am back for a third year! This year I have been :perfect: No really!

Gift preferences:
I'm a cool guy who likes cool things, so I'm mostly up for whatever. I play videogames, I try to play boardgames and wargames. I have minis and rules for lots of different games, because different games are fun! Do you know of a fun game not on my list? Maybe I could be into it too! Where possible I've also stuck my various rulebook ownership on the BGG list, and there are things like Malifaux and Dystopian Wars where I have a bunch of minis, but no rules (or anything else you need to start playing Malifaux). Thanks to the Something Awful Oath Thread I'm also pretty set for paint brushes.

Anime is cool too, as long as it's not... weird. I like to read many books, and I'm also fine with alcohol and dongs.

You can also be creative! Or if you're a strange foreigner from a strange foreign land, surprise me with something from your culture! I'd prefer something physical, but I'm on Steam if digital delivery is the only viable option.

This is my boardgame collection and brief wishlist, which is more reflective of games recommended in the TG board game and KS threads than a particular interest in any one theme, style or type.

This is a database I keep of all the minis and terrain I have, except for Bones 2 which I really just pull out of a giant box at random.

This is me on Steam

Don't send me:
I don't really have a group for RPG stuff, so i'd probably not get much use out of anything in that area, already having a complete FATE Core pledge sitting sadly on my shelf. I also don't need any more dice, unless they're super rad.
Thanks to Bones 2, I probably have all the random mooks and heroes and dragons for Frostgrave, et al, that I'll ever need, so I don't need things like that.
CCGs, not really my thing

General location: The land of unspeakable horrors :australia:, in the outpost of Adelaide.

Solemn Vow: Never in the course of human history have I pledged to deliver so much, to so few

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 21, 2015

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
im sion hi howre you

Gift preferences:
Things I am interested in:
- RPGs that are good and cool
- boardgames which are good
- comics which are never cool or good
- food because I like to cook
- I also love weird international stuff! I got some rad sweedish candy from TGSS last year so it is always cool

Things I am not so interested in:
- anime and manga. seriously, people have been like 'hey just read this one thing i promise it'll be good' and it never loving is.
- maggots in a dreamcast

General location: :scotland:

Solemn Vow: aye man

Sion fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 8, 2015

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Last year was pretty great, I'm in again!

Gift Preferences:
- RPG books: Games I've enjoyed with my group include Fate, D&D, Atomic Robo, Eclipse Phase, Torchbearer, 13th Age, BESM, and Fiasco, if that gives you an idea of what I'm into. I will take literally any book that isn't Fate Core/Accelerated/System Toolkit or D&D 4E, though (I own those already).
- Board games: I have a regular gaming group so feel free to send me anything I don't already own (Eldritch Horror+expansions, Love Letter, Tragedy Looper, Hanabi, Cards Against Humanity, or Carcassonne+Hills & Sheep). My board game night also regularly plays Carcassonne (+Big Box 4/Hills), 7 Wonders (+Wonder Pack), Sentinels of the Multiverse and Kingdom Builder, if that gives you an idea of what we like. (I wouldn't get as much use out of those, but if you're stumped for ideas I could use Carcassonne/7 Wonders stuff for other friends.)
- I have been playing a lot of Eldritch Horror lately, so any accessories that could help with that (or other card-heavy games) would be cool.
- Cool RPG stuff like dice, dice towers, dice bags, etc.
- I am a casual anime watcher and will take Anime Stuff that isn't creepy.
- Minis that I don't have to paint or anything. The only minis I own are Smash Bros/Super Mario/Wooly World Amiibos :shobon:
- Digital stuff is fine if it's Steam/TF2/Battle.net stuff.

If there's something you've been itching to throw at someone that isn't on this list, I am pretty easy and like surprises.

Please Don't Send: Evil Hat fate dice, Magic: the Gathering, any minis games that require spending extra money later or friends who bought the game as well, the Complete Book of Elves, zombies, food/drink, dongs, or anything with maggots in it.

General Location: :australia:. I am willing to send gifts to the Oceanic region or even international if that would help with anything.

Vow, Solemn: My gifts will be delivered on time so I can ban Grinches. :unsmigghh:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 23, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I've had a great time with this the last couple of years, so am definitely in again!

Gift Preferences:
I love board games, cool miniatures, pirates, non-racist lovecraft stuff. Though I don't really play miniature games any more, I still enjoy painting monsters. I like weird fictional settings with sharp protagonists and black humour. Outside of TG stuff, I'm in to mountain biking, tasty ales and engineering.

Ideas/ suggestions:
Here's my board game collection, with rankings. I love kemet, codenames, Dogs of War and Blood Rage. I hate munchkin, fluxx, cards against humanity, anything that's really random. Any expansion for Dominion or Netrunner would see a lot of play, as would Welcome to the Dungeon or the Coup expansion (Reformation).
Reaper Bones are pretty cool; while I don't like the heroes, the monsters are fab. I've also got a real fondness for the old GW specialist games, so anything similar to those aesthetics would go down well, especially as I've recently picked up the frostgrave book.
I've been designing some boardgames this year with a basic playtesting kit: more stuff I can use for this purpose would be cool.
Fiction: my favourite authors are China Mieville and Iain M. Banks, and the Locke Lamora and Johannes Cabal trilogies are pretty ace. I'd love something with similar black humour and fantastical setting.
I got a home-brewing kit for my birthday, and am planning on setting it up in January: extra bits I can experiment with would be ace.

Please don't send:
Animes, dongs
RPGs: I've got more than I can handle, sorry!
Steam Games: My laptop is a several-year old word processor

General Location:
Scotland, UK

Solemn vow:
I promise to send a :krad: box of awesome stuff

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 13, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This thread is always fun, both to read about everybody's favorite things and to participate in gift givings!

Gift Preferences: I have gotten into Malifaux lately and run Marcus, so anything there with the beast tag would be great. Really though Arcanist stuff in general is cool and good. I also like monster manuals for RPGs for any system (or not system!) and don't have enough of these: I don't even have the ones for D&D anymore. Though I do have them for 13th Age and Numenera. In the same vein as monster manuals, I like wildlife photography and books about animals or dinosaurs or whatever. I also like cool nonfiction on almost anything, though I am not super-technical so basically go easy on the math books.

RPGs in general are fine, I tend to prefer lite systems but I also like reading weird settings and fluff.

My Steam wishlist is here though I have enough videogames mostly.

I also cook now and again. I will add my amazon list for cooking things and i guess things

Please no animes or fiction books, I have enough of those. I like monster minis but not people ones so much. I have lots of paint but brushes are good, I am still learning not to get paint in the ferrules. I also am learning to work with textured medium stuff from Liquitex and Golden, they're pretty neat. I also like Jacquard Pearl Ex pigments or other similar things, and I make pokemon with sculpey/fino so those are always good.

General Location: Texas

Solemn Vow: I swear under pain of nerd ostracism that no santee shall be grinched by my hand.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 22, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hello, I am TG forum member Evil Mastermind and I am addicted to RPGs.

General Location: Rhode Island, the state smaller than most major cities.

Preferences: I love weird or obscure RPGs. I have over 400 physical books (a fraction of which I've actually read), but am always up for getting more. My tastes tend more towards the indie side of things nowadays, but I'm pretty open to most games that aren't overtly terrible.

I made a board/hc wishlist, I guess? I have a DriveThru one too, but it's tied to my email so I guess ask Leperflesh to intermediary it?

Apart from RPGs, I'd also enjoy board games that I can play solo, unique dice, or related RPG frobbery like dice towers. For non-gaming stuff, I'm a bad movie aficionado.

Please Do Not Send: alcohol (I don't drink), dongs. Pr0n and/or Porn because I am a prude.

Solemn Vow: On my self-perceived reputation as a TradGames superstar, I shall not grinch.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 23, 2015

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
I am in, yes indeed!

Gift Preferences

Yes please!

-Though I really prefer physical books, digital items are also good. POD is fine, I find Drive Thru's stuff quite acceptable.
-Tabletop RPGs: I am not into super-crunchy systems, my style leans more towards 'storygaming' and rules-lite. Most of what I am currently enjoying is PbtA stuff and similar, though I am prepping a Changeling: the Lost game and running Blue Rose. That's about as rules-heavy as I'll go. Definitely no D&D. I like little indie systems done well and have a smattering of those. Generally speaking I run modern fantasy/horror and pulpy superhero games.

What I have picked up most recently: Better Angels, Don't Rest Your Head, Dread, Kingdom of Nothing, Murderous Ghosts, Ocean, Spookybeans, The Demolished Ones, The Final Girl, Polaris, Breaking The Ice, Dogs In The Vineyard, Baron Munchausen, Inspectres, My Life With Master, Octane, Puppetland, Little Fears, Sorceror, Monsters and Other Childish Things, The Shadow of Yesterday, Trollbabe, Universalis, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, World Wide Wrestling, Magical Fury, Feng Shui 2, Night Witches, Monster of the Week First Edition, The Quiet Year, The Deep Forest. I also backed Blades In The Dark, Masks and Fellowship.

-Party games are very good as I have almost none. I do not need anything Cards Against Humanity. The current favorites are the One Night Ultimate Werewolf/Vampire games and Love Letter.
-I enjoy Arkham Horror but I have no expansions.
-Dice are always welcome, especially d6s. I have a dice bag, but it doesn't come close to holding everything I need.
-Movies are very much my groove! I love them! Especially terrible movies (ie. The Room, Birdemic), horror of all types, fantasy and obscure weirdness. I will watch pretty much anything.
-Food is acceptable, no allergies here. Nerdy cooking supplies are also cool-I have a d20 cake form, but not much else by way of kitchen nerdery.
-Handmade things are awesome and I like them very much.
-Atmospheric music is also great.
-I am lacking in cheap little plastic army men and similar, since my dogs got into the gaming box and ate a few of them (no patience, time or storage space for actual models, we just use random toys to lay out our combats when we need to).
-I like video games too, especially pokemon because I am a child in a woman's body.
-Weird, cool, random stuff would be very welcome.

No thank you
-Anime/Manga
-Zombie anything
-Dr. Who/Supernatural/Sherlock
-Exploding Kittens
-Munchkin anything
-Novels
-Models/figures that require a ton of maintenance, storage and painting. If it would pain you to see it under a pile of notebooks in a tupperware bin, it won't fare well with me.
-Card games like Magic
-Though I'm sure they're very meaningful to someone, dongs and maggoty anything are not needed at this time.

General Location: :canada:, in the middle somewhere.

Solem Vow: I swear on my dice and my spreadsheets and all other things I value, I will gift the hell out of someone. I will not be a weirdo and avoid this thread, and I will absolutely post when I get a thing.

WereJace fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 9, 2015

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Year Dos, though last year I was Tolan.

Gift Preferences

I like RPGs, I have a ton of them, ask for a list if you're thinking of sending me something vaguely mainstreamish, 'cause I probably have it. Please lord no 5e D&D stuff. I don't particularly play mini warhams, and please don't give Games Workshop any cash, but if there's a neat pre-painted mini or something I'd be down for it.

I tend to like crunchy, oldschooly RPGs, though I really have zero interest in anything Zac S, James Raggi, or any of the various other OSR rear end in a top hat brigade people produced.

I've got a young son, so I'd be especially interested in any games I can play with him (...in a bit, he's only 4 months old).

No anime; dongs are fine.

eBooks/PDFs/POD are all fine with me.

Board games are neat, and I have just a few of them; ask for a list if you're unsure. Any duplicates will get donated appropriately, though. :)

Card games are meh, I haven't played MtG since it came out and most everything doesn't particularly interest me. If it's a REALLY good card game I'll take a look, though.

Outside of that I'm pretty flexible--surprises are always fun.

General Location

Maryland, USA

Solemn Vow

By the fiery thighs of Sigmar, I will provide Festivus Joy to a fellow goon!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hello Santa, my name is Misty and this will be my second TGSS!

Gift Preferences: Board games, card games, or cool geeky toys. I was lucky enough to receive both Love Letter and Eldritch Horror last year so neither of those (but expansions for EH would be super keen!) I love plush toys and nerdy t-shirts. (men's XL) Amiibos or similar desk-displayables are great. Interesting candy/sweets are fine.

Please Don't Send: Cards Against Humanity (got em all!), DnD/Dice in general, miniatures, or alcohol. I don't mind animes but no video or bodypillows. I don't need books or PDFs or Steam stuff right now, unless you are a terribly poor international shipper who can't do anything else, (have Leperflesh let me know in that case.)

I solemnly swear to uphold the paladin's code and send my gift on time to the right goon, and he better like it because I'm gonna stress about it for like a whole WEEK, and to post pics whenever I get my super-totally-awesome dongs present in return.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I am Something Awful Forums member boom boom boom, and this is my first year doing the Trad Games Secret Santa

Gift Preferences: I've never played a miniatures game, but I would very much like to! I've got no preference for which game, but these are the armies I think look the coolest: Hordes Circle Orboros, Warmachine Khador, Infinity Aleph, Kings of War Ogres, 40k Tyranids and Space Marines, Warhammer Fantasy Lizardmen, Dropzone Commander UCM and PHR. But anything is fine, at the very least I need to start learning how to paint, so whatever I get I'll paint and post itt for everyone to laugh at.

I also like bicycling, anime(my faves are Gundam, Girls und Panzer, Bakemonogatari, Yowamushi Pedal), and sci-fi.

Please don't send: Digital goods, like PDFs or whatever, Collectible Card Game stuff, and anything related to Doctor Who or Star Wars

I Solemnly Vow to send really great stuff to whoever I get, even if they said they don't like anime.nk look the coolect:

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 22, 2015

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Aw yeah, secret santa time.

Gift Preferences:
Anything 70's related
I dig most types of games, board games, card games, dice games, RPGs...
Star Wars is my jam, I play X-wangs but probably already have everything I need. Anything wookie/chewbacca related is a winner.
I just got a new place and have a lot of blank walls, so art or other stuff I could hang up would be kinda cool.
Stuff I can put on my desk at work and make the other nerds jealous.

No Thank Yous:
Don't give money to Games Workshop.
I've already got all the DnD/Pathfinder stuff I'll ever want
Cthuluhu stuff
Zombie Stuff
Steampunk stuff

I swear not to grinch my santee, even if they're a total shitlord.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dear Santa
Christmas christmas yeah

Gift Preferences: I'm a big fan of RPGs! I have a lot of them, so most D&D, WoD, or Fate Core stuff would be duplicate copies. Ken Hite's Pelgrane Press stuff would be great, as would any of the Through the Breach books as I've started running that for friends. I like weird, obscure games, but I'm not a huge fan of anything more story-game than Powered the Apocalypse or Fate. When it comes to form, I end up looking at .pdfs at my day job a lot, so hardcopy books are preferred. When it comes to miniatures, I'm really into Malifaux at the moment. Vallejo paints, decent brushes, or similar modeling supplies are always welcome, and round 30mm scenic bases make me squeal with glee. 28-30mm scale terrain is also great, especially if it's Old West themed. The multi-part male and female kits are really cool too. EDIT: This Guy is also really rad, if you can find one of 'em. And, heck, if you can find the plastic versions of Bishop, Vanessa, Hans, Izamu, a Rail Golem, or the Brotherhood of the Rat set for good prices, any of the above would be great.
EDIT AGAIN: I also recently got the Osprey games Black Ops and Fistful of Kung Fu; cool modern day spec ops or any time period martial artists in 28mm would be great for using with those.
I'm really interested in Level 99's line of BattleCon card games, but I know they're fairly expensive, barring the occasional sale. But, if you're inclined, that'd be really neat.

General Location: PA, USA

I swear not to grinch. People should gets gifts because gifts are rad.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 22, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Dear Satan Santa Krampus: I've been :perfect: all year, and so I want a present.

Gift Preferences:

Trad Games wishlist: Ticket to Ride Europe, Power Grid, Pandemic Legacy, Compounded, Alhambra (Yeah, some of those are more expensive...but there's always seasonal sales!)

Non-Trad Games wishlist: I am a huge Star Wars fan. I own most of the books and comics; but toys are always fun. I have a huge nerd boner for X-wings (both the tabletop game, and just the ship in general). I also like Japanese children's shows; Super Sentai and Kamen Rider stuff would be cool (Kyoryuger is my favorite Sentai, Gaim is my favorite Rider.)

Handmade gifts are fun, as are digital gifts (I will be greedy though...at least send me a festive card if you get me something digital!) If christmas eve rolls around and you realize you've forgotten to get me something, I will take an Amazon or Steam gift card as a last resort.

No thank yous: Don't send me amiibo. I am the most frequent poster in the amiibo thread for a reason; I literally have all of them already.

General Location: Kansas City metro

I solemnly vow to not grinch anyone, lest my mailbox be filled with infinite dongs. I also vow to at least attempt to post a photo of my gift with my cat. Pet photos was the best part of last year's thread.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark here, returning for another year of Secret Santa!

Gift Preferences: I'm primarily into wargames (40k, Kings of War, Frostgrave currently) and boardgames at the moment, though I also occasionally play Magic. I'm quite interested in the new Commander decks coming out shortly though appreciate they're a bit pricey. Some terrain or markers suitable for Frostgrave/similar would be pretty neat too. While miniatures would be appreciated it may be a while before I get to them as I have a mountain of plastic and metal to get through, but supplies are always appreciated. Exception: If you have any RT-Era Space Marines or Imperial Robots I'm down with that!

Steam gifts are fine, though given my backlog they'd probably not get played for a long time! I've also started slowly getting into Gunpla again, plus nerdy clothing and accessories are good too.

No Thanks: No Munchkin (including spinoffs), Talisman, Cards Against Humanity or Zombie games. No new stuff from GW. Also no booze or sex toys. Other than that I'm pretty open!

Vow: I solemnly vow not to be a grinch lest I be forced to endure an eternity of some sort of horrible Munchkin/Talisman hybrid.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
TGSS best SS .:peanut: This will be my third one and I'm looking forward to it and maybe multiple lightning rounds.

Gift Preferences
Board games! I love them, and I could always use more. I tend towards worker placement and deckbuilders, but I'd definitely appreciate something weird I've never heard of as well. I have a large collection, so I'll link my Coolstuff wishlist here if you want some things I don't have: Wishlist
I'd also enjoy a light RPG book that could be played with people relatively new to tabletop games and would only last a few sessions. I don't really have much experience outside of DnD, and my friends have been talking about starting up again. I was looking at Danger Patrol as an option, but I don't think that's been released.
Handmade gifts and regional snacks are always welcome!

No Thank Yous
Don't give money to Games Workshop
Anime
Booze
Living Card Games
Cthulu/Zombies/Steampunk

General Location
LA County, California

Solemn Vow
Grinches get stinches.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 22, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hello thread! I choose not to sign up this year but I do feel the need to pop in as the goon who was on the, no pun intended, receiving end of the referenced "dong for TGSS"

Happy holidays y'all :) :dong:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
We have a long way to go if we want to top the dreamcast full of maggots that YOSPOS had

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I'm a lurker, A Real Horse, and as part of my effort to post more I want to join in the Secret Santa fun!

Gift Preferences I play a variety of miniature games, mainly Malifaux. I have all of the Neverborn and Outcast crew boxes, but very little by way of extras for Outcasts. I also have my eye on starting up the Gremlins at some point, but haven't yet. I also want to start playing X-Wing and Armada more, and have the starter sets and 1 each of the Alphabet Alliance ships for X-Wing. I am also a remarkably poor painter, so anything that would help my skills in this regard, would be most appreciated. I play 40k, but DO NOT GIVE GAMES WORKSHOP MONEY. Some animes ok, I don't really know a lot about them but am strangely drawn to the idea of giant fighting robots. I'm also starting Dropzone Commander, with a PHR starter set to my name so far.

Other interests of mine are video games, especially NES/SNES stuff, and professional wrestling.

No thank you: I don't have a regular group for board games, and have way too many of them already. RPG books, while fun to read through, won't ever get played in all likelihood. I also don't particularly care for digital goods. I'm also a fatty fatty fat fat who is looking to be less so, so I would prefer nothing edible or drinkable. Please no dongs.

General Location

Solemn Vow Grinches are terrible people, and I don't want to be a terrible person.

Edit: Added some more ideas and list of things I do not want.

A Real Horse fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 10, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Whatup Santa, my name is Kai Tave and I have never participated in TG Secret Santa before, so this will be my first. I'm going to handle my likes and please-nos in reverse order:

Please Don't Send: Tabletop RPGs of any sort, my work schedule prevents me from being able to commit to any sort of face-to-face campaign and most of the digital RPGs I might be interested in I've probably already bought (this is why I play a lot of PbPs). My computer is too decrepit to play most modern PC games so things like Steam codes would similarly be wasted. No CCG stuff, no anime, no Cards Against Humanity or Exploding Kittens or Munchkin, no tabletop wargaming stuff that requires assembly and painting, no dice, and no dongs. Despite being an enthusiastic X-Wing player I already sorta own every ship currently made except one of the expensive ones that I'm not a big enough dickhead to ask a complete stranger to buy for me (but if you can somehow think of something related to that which you're sure I'll love then go for it). I own Star Wars: Armada but virtually never get to play it so that's probably not a good idea either.

Also I'm allergic to kiwi fruit.

So what the gently caress DO you want then?: These days the bulk of my face-to-face gaming is via board games and tabletop games like X-Wing. To give you an example of my tastes, my current board game collection comprises Pandemic Legacy, Kemet, Argent: the Consortium, Tash-Kalar, Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Armada, Dark Moon, Coup, and Mottainai. If you consider yourself a boardgamer of distinction and taste and you've got a great idea for a board game that I simply have to play (and isn't a terribly dry as hell Euro game about providing power to cities or something) then go for it. If nothing else I could always go for some more Imperial Assault expacs (I own Twin Shadows and the Boba Fett and C3P0/R2-D2 packs but that's all). Also there's supposed to be a new cheap BattleCON starter set coming out soon?

I have a ferocious sweet-tooth and enjoy trying new candies if you have any local sensations or special confectioners worth sharing. I also enjoy a good drink (though I don't smoke).

I don't go ga-ga over geek kitsch but, like, unless it's a bumper sticker with worn-into-the-ground catchphrases I probably won't throw it out. Still, a plush Cthulhu wearing a Doctor Who scarf should be considered a distant plan B. Nerdy t-shirts that you wouldn't be embarrassed to wear in public are fine (size men's XL).

Amazon gift cards or DTRPG credit is fine if you're the unlucky person who gets me and decides I'm too much of a pain in the rear end to shop for, for which I would not blame you. Handmade gifts are also gratefully accepted. Also if you have a really rad gift idea that isn't included on my list of don'ts but isn't specified on my preferences then go for it.

Location: A godforsaken stretch of Washington state along the I-5 corridor.

I solemnly vow that my Secret Santee will receive a quality gift hopefully to their liking in a timely fashion and thus go ungrinched this holiday season. If I should fail to uphold this vow then may Ettin banish me to the land of wind and ghosts using a picture of a Dangan Ronpa character to forever mark my shame.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
It's that time of the year again!

Gift Preferences: Board games are fine, as are video game and anime stuff. PDFs of RPG books are totally okay as well. Also anything that's got Yoshis or Chocobos. Bonus points if it's something I can enjoy with my roommates (all nerdy, though some struggle with complex mechanics). Sorry to say I'm not looking for much specific this year, so feel free to surprise me.
Edit: If you're really stumped, have Leperfish e-mail me to see if I'm in the mood for something when picks get made, though no promises.

Do not Send: Game miniatures (includes war games), games my household already has (see notice below), foodstuff, ecchi anime stuff, and I can't believe I have to say no dongs on this site.

Notice! I live with fellow goons Jivjov and Neowyrm (who I don't know if he's participating). If you need help with a gift for one of them, send me a message and I can do some snooping around while they're at work. Also they will probably do the same for me.

Solemn Vow: By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged not be grinched! Also since the pets in the house aren't mine, I'll probably post a picture with Krysmbot, who is currently taking residence in one of my many Yoshi amiibo.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 9, 2015

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I'm returning for my third year, like a lot of people, it seems! :toot:

...but I'm still not any better at this awkward initial post after three years. :smith:

Gift Preferences:
I'm not currently lusting after a certain board game, so it might be easier to describe some of the games I like, and you can use your best judgement, Santa. Some of my favorite games are Hanabi (I make everyone play this game), Love Letter, Tokaido, 7 Wonders, and Agricola. I like low-key coop, strategy, deck builder, and worker placement games. Expansions to (most of the) games I already own are always welcome (some are on my "please don't send" list)! Here's a list of my current boardgames on Board Game Geek. If the link doesn't work correctly for you, or if you need any clarification, please let me know!

In terms of RPGs, I'm open to neat or unique ones. I don't currently have a gaming group, so it would just be me reading whatever book/system you decide to send. If you decide to go the RPG route, I'm happy to field any questions you may have. I'm not a big digital only person, however, so I would prefer a hardcopy of whatever you decide to send, Santa. I currently have the base Trail of Cthulhu, all the 4E I could want, base World of Darkness, 13th Age base/13True Ways/13th Age Bestiary, Call of Cthulhu/Mansions of Madness/Cthulhu Dark Ages/Masks of Nyarlathotep, Aberrant, and some other odds and ends.

In terms of non TG type things, I really enjoy cooking in my free time. If you decide a shirt would be a winner, I'm a men's size M. I'm also a huge Nintendo fan girl, and I have all of the systems (except the NES). Nintendo stuff tends to go over well as a result (although I have most of the amiibos I want at this juncture).

I have two cats, which I'm including because sometimes people enjoy throwing in a stuffed mouse or the like. This means I will also attempt to get photos of my ferocious beasts playing with the gift box.

tl;dr Basically, I've joined this SS for the past few years, because TG goons are always very good at taking my jumbled list and giving me something I never knew I wanted/would enjoy. It's just me and my husband playing board games for the most part, so I would prefer a game we could play together. However, that being said, 7 Wonders is one of our favorite games, so if you know of a killer game, but it's 3-x people, don't let that stop you.

Please, don't send:
Anything zombie related, anime/manga, Munchkin, Cards Against Humanity, dongs, monopoly, porn, fluids, 4E, maggots, hair... those sorts of things. I also don't know what Games Workshop money is, so please don't send whatever that is either. :v: (I don't do any sort of Games Workshop gaming, miniatures or otherwise.)

General Location: the Jewel of the Great Plains, the greater Omaha metro

Solemn Vow: I solemnly swear that I could not think of a more creative vow, but may I only receive dead bugs in retro gaming systems if I grinch (and I won't).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm caught up! If you sent an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com, you should have a reply.

Speaking of which, I haven't gotten emails from the following goons:
Lichtenstein
The Supreme Court

27 goons have signed up so far.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This will be my third year participating, having skipped last year due to funds issues, and it's always a great time.

Gift Preferences: Edit: Super massive apology to my Santa, I was got extremely sick over the weekend and didn't get a chance to update as planned. I hope I haven't inconvenienced you! My favourite games at the moment are Tzolk'in, Puerto Rico, Kemet and Twilight Struggle at the moment so anything along those lines within the budget constrains will be extremely welcome (I am just happy to get a present <3)

Mostly complete list of crap I've already got: http://pastebin.com/hAD5Kk1C

If you get matched from me and come from somewhere that isn't Australia and you have some sort of culturally distinct game then that would be just the coolest as I collect weird poo poo like that. (All those Scandinavian lawn games that involve throwing chunks of wood at other chunks of wood are fantastic, for example)

Please Don't Send: Miniatures, RPGs (my backlog, oh god)

General Location: Australia

Solemn Vow: I solemnly vow that I will not be a shitheel.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 26, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

Lichtenstein
The Supreme Court

Yeah, I need to figure some details out and I'd rather wait a few days that spam you with errata.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
First year participating, i've got a ton of weird stuff i can send out! i will also include licorice.

Gift preferences:
Warhams themed stuff or Frostgrave. this could either be models or terrain. just for reference, i play and paint adeptus mechanicus and a lizard themed wizard band in frostgrave. I'm also looking to start an Eldar Harlequins Masque once i'm done with my current projects.

Please don't send: Books, oh god my poor bookshelf

General location: Denmark

Solemn vow: By the honour of my forefathers (who were apparently all priests) i swear not to fail this most ardous task

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Another year, another signup to the TGSS.

Gift Preferences: I'm heavily into boardgames, but my collection is pretty static currently . This is my current collection, along with some wishlist items. Please don't buy me anything marked as owned/previously owned.

I'm also into Star Wars Armada and X-Wing: for the former probably the only thing I would want is a Gladiator, or some Wave II stuff if it is already out (I already have custom range markers for the game!): I'm an Imperial player only, but wouldn't mind getting some rebels (A Nebulon maybe?).

For X-Wing I think I have all the ships I would want (along with custom maneuver templates that were given to me in the last TGSS :)), but I wouldn't mind custom tokens and firing range rulers/custom ship position markers/one of those line lasers that you can use to judge arcs (especially the short range only ruler would be awesome!).

I'm also into RPGs but my tastes are limited. I'm playing Feng Shui 2 at the moment and I wouldn't mind a copy of that! Outside of tradgames, I read a lot of 19th/20th century military/historical books, but I would suggest checking first to make sure you aren't buying something that I've already read. I like Star Wars as well, as you might have realised.

Please don't send:
No miniature wargames or miniature games apart from X-Wing/Armada stuff. No anime, not really into it. I would prefer not to get videogames either. No dongs/comedy gifts, thanks.

General Location:
London, UK

Solemn vow:
I haven't grinched in 4 years of doing this, not gonna start now.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 23, 2015

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

That time of year again? The gently caress am I doing with my life.

Gift Preferences - Like most TG goons, I am a massive dork for games of various stripes. I would prefer to not get a comedy gift, but other than that I'm honestly pretty easy to please. That said, the following ideas are there for anyone who doesn't have a specific thing they were already wanting to do for this.

My current army project is a bunch of Ogres for Kings of War, which thus far I've only started with Mantic's basic warriors/shooters/standard box set. I'm not interested in any of the GW games and don't have a community locally for anything else but X-Wing or Warmahordes, which I already have armies for.

I have a twice-monthly board game night that I host and am always looking for new and interesting things to play. I will edit this post to include a list of my current collection at some point when it isn't 3AM. I was planning to track down a copy of Battlecon: Devastation (already own War Remastered and Fate) or a COIN game at some point in the spring, so if any goons wanted to be particularly generous those are high priority acquisitions for me.

I collect and GM RPGs, and I've been especially interested in more rules light games lately, especially after managing to get some games of Warbirds, Spirit of 77, and World Wide Wrestling going with my group.

In a non TG related note, I've been getting more into reading histories from places not usually touched on in American education like Africa or China/South Asia, and I'm also a 13 year old in a grown man's body that still loves anything and everything giant robot and would not say no to Gunpla kits.

On the off chance anyone prefers digital gifting, I'm generally happy to get RPG pdfs, or my steam profile is over here.

Your General Location Nevada

Your Solemn Vow I didn't gently caress this up last year and I have no intentions to gently caress it up this year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Santa baby, my name is Drone. Long time listener, first time caller.

Gift preferences: Miniatures are okay but I've already got plenty that are unpainted. I like the idea of miniature games a lot (X-Wing, Armada, all Mantic stuff, Infinity), but don't really have anyone IRL to play with, so you should probably skip miniatures unless it's something you really think is great.

I do RPG's, both online and in-person. Right now I'm in a D&D 5e group in real life and I'm enjoying myself despite what goons say about the system (I own the three core books). I'm ALL ABOUT Star Wars though and anything FFG Star Wars would be fantastic (I have the core rulebooks for EotE/AoR/F&D, but none of the supplements/dice/beginner games/anything). I'm not interested at all in PDF's though -- I want to have a book to rifle through and find PDF's too be cumbersome in that regard.

Actually in general FFG stuff is probably a good bet, I have yet to play a game of theirs that I didn't like. I don't need Warhammer: Invasion though, a buddy's got that and I'm okay without. Accessories are fine too!

If you don't plan to go the RPG or FFG route, I'd definitely be open to any kind of co-op board/card games that scale up -- my partner and I would like to play some games together, but not against each other. Any game that does this and is fun would be neat, doubly so if we could invite more people to play and still have the same amount of fun. Our current group (me and my partner, and another couple) gets together once a month for Legends of Andor, but we already have all the expansions, so we don't need anything there. I also own the Netrunner core box and, while I like it, I've only played it a handful of times and am not really at all interested in playing anything competitively or expanding on it.

Please Don't Send: While I do really like beer, I don't really want any delivered to me. I don't smoke, no porn please, I play video games but my Steam account is already full enough. I don't really need movies or non-TG books. Nerdy tchotchkes are okay too but I don't really want anything that's actually a toy. Not a fan of PDF gifts or digital stuff -- I want a package to put under the tree. No clothes unless it's a cool hand-knitted scarf or something, but I have like a million of those already (patches are cool though, I can always stitch them to my canvas backpack).

General Location: Germany -- but I strongly prefer gifts in English (RPG's are pretty much mandatory English, board/card games can go either way).

Solemn Vow: I swear not to grinch, and though I'd prefer not to give GW money, I will if that's what my santee wishes.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 23, 2015

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Year three for me!

Gift preferences: I have too much enough stuff these days, so gifts should be digital (DTRPG wishlist, Steam wishlist (in German for some reason?)), compact, or so unique or super-rare that I'll find room for it anyway. (Hand-made goods will almost certainly end up in the last category.) I'll also accept food or drink of almost any kind (no tea, no durian fruit, and I'm not a huge fan of super-spicy stuff) and I have a daughter who will be turning one right around Christmas so if you know any good baby toys or clothes I'll find room for those too.

More generally, I play RPGs and video games. I read books (mostly trashy fantasy/scifi). I watch movies (mostly kung fu movies). I am an incorrigible hipster with a love for old, weird, and/or unique stuff, so you might find something suitable in your local junk shop.

Do Not Want: I'm not much into anime. I like the idea of miniatures games, but I have no time, no space, and no-one to play them with, so best avoid. Nothing D&D, and nothing from the usual shitshow crowd, thanks.

Vow: I am a Hard Man making Tough Decisions, but I also make Easy Decisions like not grinching anybody.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm caught up! If you sent an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com, you should have a reply.

Lichtenstein
The Supreme Court

27 goons have signed up so far.

I'm in the process of moving, will have my details in shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Hey all! Who's up for some holiday fun?! I sure am!

Gift Preferences: I play a good number of tabletop games and paint miniatures pretty regularly, mostly Warhammer 40K and Infinity (though I'm open to others). I would love some tabletop scenery/terrain to create if you have access to some such as lasercut stuff or goon-made terrain such as Germ's gorgeous stuff. My friends and I have monthly gaming get-togethers to play boardgames, so if you have a personal favorite you think I'd appreciate I'm willing to give it a go. I have a decent number already, but mostly the stock standards so if you go for something a little unique you should be good. If someone artsy is up for it I really enjoy/appreciate paintings and other art that can be displayed. I also enjoy fine alcoholic beverages and would not be opposed to receiving some. I enjoy just about everything except Rum and Tequila, which I am not a huge fan of. I also enjoy some solid reading so if you have any titles you like and want to share feel free! Bookwise I don't own much beside the Dresden Files series and a smattering of Warhammer 40K fiction so go nuts.

Do Not Want: Anime, RPG rulebooks (I never get to play anymore :smith:), socks

General Location: Orlando, Florida :supaburn:

Solemn Vow: I don't know who you are, but I will find you and I will mail you a nicely wrapped gift!

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 10, 2015

• Locked thread